This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,716 reviews
122,397 films • 18,478 TV series

Chrome/Google Is Really Starting To Scare Me (1741 views, 57 replies)

This topic has been closed.

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

As a lot of you know, I have been having trouble trying to watch movies with my outdated software because it is no longer supported and therefore I don't get anymore updates so everything is out of date including browsers.

Last night, I was searching the web for a movie. It is listed here but not on Vshare. I am only able to watch certain sites and only if I use chrome browser. This will end soon because I am getting new software.

Anyway, The movie is called Better Off Zed. So, I tried several variations to search for it hoping to find one on Vshare. All other sites including Openload give me the following message from chrome:

This site can’t provide a secure connection
oload.cc uses an unsupported protocol

It will not allow me to enter any of those sites.

After I tried several variations to search for it, I got another prompt from chrome. I can't remember the exact wording but it was something like this:

We have noticed several inquiries for this page from this (it listed my IP address) we would like to confirm if it is you or a robot. Please confirm.
Read more

+3

Hide 7 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@michael59 The robot thing is just something generic, nothing to worry about. It comes upon a fair few sites now -especially if you use a proxy or something similar.

The other error is more than likely due to the outdated software.

+6

Report comment
(5y)

@michael59 Have you tried going into Chrome's advanced settings to ignore the message below, or try adding the movie website's url so they'll let you in? It's worked for me. Maybe for you too.

"This site can’t provide a secure connection
oload.cc uses an unsupported protocol "

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@StarKissed Do you mean white List? No I haven't. I'm not sure I know how to do that but I will give it a try.

Thank you.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@michael59 Hi, did you figure something out? Under Advanced Settings in 'Chrome, I have "Safe Browsing" turned off: if its turned on, it stops me from accessing most all movie sites. As long as you don't frequent weird places you should be ok. You would probably need to put your movie sites on the White list of your Virus/Malware software too, but it just causes more problems for me. I never have problems on Two Movies, I know the site is safe, but a few of the links to movies here, are a problem, so I stick with "Openload," and "Stream Mango." Those are the only suggestions I can think of. Hope you are having better luck.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@StarKissed I did have a look at advanced settings and it scared me cause I didn't know or understand half the terms they used and what they were for. It takes forever with this old software to get threw to any site. Just one more week and I will have another updated computer so, I'll wait until then because that way I can update all the browsers that I use and maybe even leave chrome behind me in the dust. lol

Thank you, StarKissed. I will feel more confident to check out advanced settings for chrome when I can get better/easier access.

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@michael59 No problem, glad to hear you're getting a new system soon. That will be exciting and will alleviate most of those headaches. Good Luck!

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@StarKissed Yeah, my browsers say that,"connection not secure"and "Danger Will Robbinson"and "Malicious bad site!"but I go anyway,cause Norton would bounce off attackers.

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Try using mint linux 18.3... linuxmint.com/release.php?id=31
Easy install. PC and user friendly . 32 or 64 bit. Comes loaded with firefox. Chrome is also available.

+1

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@CanyonD The Captcha challenge is nothing to worry about (yet) . If you want privacy get firefox . Tweak it for privacy and get a VPN like PIA www.privateinternetaccess.com/

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@CanyonD I am mostly getting something called busybox v2 after restarting my newer comp. It doesn't matter which linux version. I've tried mint 19, deepin, and elementary. Is there a way to get rid of busybox or make it so that it doesn't show up again?

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@arcreaper Busybox was installed on my android tab when when I ran the root package.. Can't tell you how to use it. See busybox.net for the applications. Yea , I tried mint 19 , and my older dell mini was allergic. I regressed back to 18.3, and It works great.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@CanyonD Isn't✨Linux a whole system?I can't swallow a whole system. smiley OK,is that a Paid VPN? IM down on lots of pay Net junk,Cable TV is already bad,I'm gonna dump lots of that.SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPANISH ONLY,I CAN'T USE IT!I'm dumping my huge bad cable TV any how. smiley smiley

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

Thank you for your message. I like it when I can feel I'm not alone.

I too have been a little paranoid about my privacy. But what can you expect? Facebook got hacked again. Turns out all the terrible reviews against Star Wars: The Last Jedi were mostly Russian trolls & bots (If you're asking "Why?" maybe "Just cuz they can?") Ever since I saw an interview w/ Zuckerberg, in which his laptop's camera was clearly taped over, I've wondered if we can ever be too careful.

My PC was trashed by some kind of virus or worm -- they say it's cheaper for me to buy a brand-new laptop than to fix my beloved Dell. My less-than-a-year-old Chromebook has some new issue every other day (as do two friends who got theirs a few months before I did and who tell me there are a TON of Chromebook users filling blogs with complaints ranging from extensions blocking normal functions to malware discovered despite cookies being blocked & safeguards being observed).
Read more

+4

Hide 13 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@wolfeather11 If you haven't heard... Google,Facebook, and Apple are working with the Chinese government to set up a full spectrum monitoring system with social controls for their population. Apple has already partnered with the Communists moving the company completely.
Should the C level , and anything they tell us be believed?

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@CanyonD I would love to read more about this. Any links?

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@fortunate1 While it defies U.S. government, Apple abides by China's orders — and reaps big rewards
www.latimes.com/business/technol...

Apple is under fire for moving iCloud data to China

money.cnn.com/2018/02/28/technol...

Thats just on the surface to be seen by the lemmings. Dig deeper. In order to take advantage of Cinas new 0% tax rate for corporations, companies must partner with the PRC govt , and be subject to the parties control.

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@CanyonD (there must be new methods,then,of reversing or being "invisible" to agents=of-Big Brother.---Some waY To hypothetically bounce back their search,or signal,!?Hmm?Use their mechanism against them!?) smiley

Report comment
(4y)

@bigbluee90 Unless you learn how to use an operating system on a thumb drive or DVD like TAILS, MOFO LINUX , KRP , and others like it with a VPN .. everything you do online is being recorded , and added into your very own special file.

Report comment
(4y)
(edited)

@CanyonD smiley smiley smiley OMG you are f**king hilarious. Make sure your tinfoil hat is at the ready!

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@PriscillaParadox Aluminum "bunny" pajamas and wallpaper to be precise... smiley . Hopefully your denial approach will save you from the coming total immersion of 5G microwave transmission.. enjoy the 5 second video downloads. smiley

Report comment
(4y)

@CanyonD smiley smiley smiley I honestly get the biggest kick out of this stuff when people talk about it in complete seriousness. It is really so bloody funny.

Report comment
(4y)

@PriscillaParadox smiley I like making people happy! smiley

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@CanyonD A very worthy pursuit!

Report comment
(5y)

@CanyonD No, I hadn't heard. How can we live this way? I'm definitely checking the links you so kindly posted below. If there's a way to avoid the yoke, it's realizing who's holding the collars & moving strategically away!

Malcolm said, “A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything.”— Malcolm X

+4

Report comment
(5y)

@wolfeather11 It does give one some comfort to be informed. If for no other reason than what you said early...you don't feel so all alone.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@wolfeather11 Yes,I was told that,"throw away laptop,can't be. Fixed".Which is why I hang onto ,old HP Pavllion Desktop,Windows 10, with Windows seven files all saved.--I'm not dumping old desktop,engineers told me,"new desktops are made of cardboard, don't buy!"

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

Thank you all for responding. I really appreciate the feedback.

IDK, it just feels like Google is trying to quietly/sneakily take control of the internet and if we don't share these suspicious tactics with each other, it's going to happen without us ever doing or knowing anything about it.

Thank you for the links and suggestions. I have a plethora of stuff I am looking forward to using when I get my new system next week.

+2

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@michael59 If i could make a suggestion.. Get a system where the OS is not embedded like Chromebook. Then you can install a 2nd OS like mint or run knoppix from a disk or thumb drive. Check out this review of live disk OS's
fossbytes.com/secure-linux-distr...

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@CanyonD Thank you. You have been very helpful. The problem is that you are talking to someone (me) who cannot afford to purchase these things and I also have no faith in on line shopping. Especially with this outdated software so, I don't do any on line purchases, yet. smiley

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@michael59 You don't have to buy new equipment, you can rest instead. just back up all your documents, pictures etc. Make a list of the apps you want to keep and also move apps into library folder as they might auto reload with luck. Then return your computer to factory settings. Then you have a brand new computer. Really easy how to instructions on YouTube. Or a techo for 1 or 2 hours tops in your home.-GC

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@michael59 So Facebook getting backed again?I guess I should dump it again.)

master
Report comment
(5y)

well, i only use duckduckgo now, and I never use a chrome browser,and I get it any way!!--on Waterfox and Avast Secure Browser!!i don't even use chrome!!its not chrome alone--its the whole fffing web!!APPLE HAS PARTNERED WITH COMMUNIST CHINA?? oh, great, guess i'm not getting Apple after all.

DON'T EXPECT a situation,almost like science-fiction,like the World Wide Web,to stay pure or innocent,or not rife with all spies and spy systems.--that's balderdash!!anything that ALL-ENCOMPASSING like the Web,will finally get "bugged"like every other part of the world of humans!!"BUGGED BY BUG-EES!!"EVERYWHERE. smiley smiley

you want secrecy,or privacy, stay off the web.---use a different alien unreal system no one tracks.We are living in 1984, yah know. smiley smiley

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

Okay so, last night I was using chrome browser for the sites that are too slow on firefox. The strangest thing happened. I clear the chrome browser frequently to keep it fresh and it moves faster, I tried to go to the sites that I have in my tab tool bar and I kept getting what amounted to a cartoon bubble that came from the search bar saying:

You do not have permission to enter this site. Please sign in to get permission to enter. Then it wanted my full name, address, email address and password. This happened to every site I tried to enter last night. I of course, did not respond to it and it took about 20-30 seconds before the message disappeared and then went directly into the site it said I was not allowed to enter. Just like it normally did every other time I went there.

Do you think I might have caught a bug? I just tried to make it happen again before I posted this but it did not. It acted completely normal again and just went directly to the sites I requested.

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@michael59 Sounds like Malware / Virus trying to collect login details. There are other possible explanations but many would have been noticed by lots of people. If it was just you then the odds are it is a local infection.

+2

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

It is weird because it only happens on chrome browser. It happened again this morning. I just close the prompt and reload the page then it takes me right into the site like it would normally.

I'm not all that worried about it because it is probably my outdated software and I am getting new stuff any day now. So, it's just more of an inconvenience really.

The first thing I'm going to do when I get my new computer is learn how to take screen shots. lol

+1

Hide 13 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@michael59 When you get the new setup, will you let me know how it's working out? I've had so many of the same issues & after getting fed up with this stupid keyboard/touchpad, I pulled the wireless mouse from my old PC (it worked great & was very expensive) and after talking to the mouse tech guy, found out it only works with Windows (not 10, of course) and Apple OS. I could scream!!! "Luuuke, you are my last hope." This is what I'll be doing 'til I hear from you: smiley

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@wolfeather11 Hi, there is a problem with my new computer getting here because of a postal strike.

Report comment
(5y)

@michael59 You were having issues streaming on a Windows/Mac/linux PC/Laptop? How old is it???

A lot of the prompts your were having an issue I could say it's because your lack of an ad/spam blocker. It gets much harder, if not impossible to use certain streaming sites without one.

There's also the aspect of a bunch of spy/adware on your system or Chrome itself.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Nihilus🍺 It's not a laptop it's a desktop. Windows xp

Report comment
(5y)

@michael59 Well that doesn't help much, you can run Windows XP on anything. If the PC you're using is capable of upgrading to another operating system that's all it would take.

Linux Mint is free, and pretty lovely.

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@michael59 Bummer dude. Is the strike in a land not the US cuz we're still getting mail (and some terrible bombs too).

Report comment
(5y)

@wolfeather11 Canada. It's weird because the strike is a rotating one so we still get mail sporadically.

Report comment
(5y)

@michael59 Wow. You Canadia/ens really are nice people. I just read about the "rolling postal strike". Even though they haven't had a strike since '96, the CUPW is more concerned with not inconveniencing the public than using the disruption as a bargaining tool (which is why most US unions choose to strike: The Man doesn't even go to the table until the workers walk & even then Management won't negotiate until it affects profits.) Nobody cares how the US public is affected, unless it's to make ppl mad at the "other side"... Seems pot smokers & online-sex toy purchasers are not going to have to worry about deliveries much longer; the Gov't is finding an alternative delivery service and PinkCherry Canada is too. Maybe the computer could be disguised in a discreet, plain brown wrapper ;)

+1

Report comment
(5y)

Report comment
(4y)

@michael59 Say,I use Opera a lot,browse,and Avast Secure Browser, try a few others.I like these.Get around, date everyone.

Report comment
(4y)

With all my favorite sights being shutdown..I am seriously considering moving over to the Brave browsers. anyone feeling the same?

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@1024bigbangfan I don't know what that means. lol

What are Brave browsers?

Report comment
(4y)

@1024bigbangfan I tried Brave it's ot for me like a naked chrome. It has extremely stiff protection protocols. Almost impossible to use out of the box as they say.It has a lot you have to allow ok and accept. i had it a week it and seamonkey are both now gone. I use firefox two-thirds of the time. Chrome for very little.

Report comment
(4y)

its a new browser, lets bs than google. just type in brave browser.

senior master
Report comment
(4y)

Brave is based on Chrome, Chrome is owned by Google and gets downloaded with all sorts of bundled software.
I don't trust any of them, no matter what you put in the settings.
Firefox with ublock is good, with Duckduckgo as a search engine instead of Google. Chrome, Google and all the other snoopers can then be un-installed.

+1

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@Buttless Areed even on duck although my main search its bing. I love the reward points!

Report comment
(4y)

@Buttless I know google is very good at shoving Amazon down your throat when searching for goods (no bias there lol).

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

Wow!! This forum is very informative, keep up the good work people. smiley smiley

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,716 reviews • 122,397 films • 18,478 TV series