This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,737 reviews
122,398 films • 18,478 TV series

Windows 10 update problems (1290 views, 36 replies)

This topic has been closed.

master
Report comment
(4y)

Does anybody know how to sort out a computer disconnecting from wifi every hour ever since a windows 10 update was forced on me, ive done everything from resetting, restarting and updating drivers, its been 4 days now and I am really starting to lose it, please help, cant afford a new computer, this is quite an old Asus laptop and I know some of you have quite the knowledge of tech, more than I have. Thanks in advance. Irene.

+1

God
Report comment
(4y)

I just did a google search with part of your comment ("computer disconnecting from wifi every hour"). Looks like you're not the only one having trouble, see if this post helps.
www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/lap...

+2

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@PureVodka🍺 Hi PV, thanks for your help, I saw all the bad comments about this update, it messed with everything from crackling speaker to messing with all personalised set ups, had to re-do everything over the last 4 days in between disconnections and there is nobody to shout at, thanks for link I will check it out.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@ijaija This is a specific Widows troubleshooter for their updates.

It has a step by step process of elimination and then fixes for issues.

support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help...

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@ Thanks RB, I will check it out.

+1

guru
Report comment
(4y)
(edited)

As for a fix, keep searching .. there will be a code line you can run to correct the MS screw-up .

Try Mint Linux 18.3 Mate version. www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id...
I Keep windows 10 on my desktop in a dual-boot setup, But I never have cause anymore to use it. It really sucks having to wait 1/2 hour for the updating every F..kn time I select W10 to boot. You can burn Mint onto a thumbdrive using RUFUS on win 10, then try it live without installing.
Sometimes you will have to have an ethernet connection; untill you can install the correct BROADCOM driver.

+1

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(4y)
(edited)

@CanyonD Thanks for your help it's very kind of you, I will not try that naked tho as it's not playing, it's a pain in the ****. smiley

+1

God
Report comment
(4y)

I wish I knew for you, but I really don't.

I don't have any issues with the new update. In fact, I like it. I didn't like the one before that, so there you go.

It does sound a lot like a compatibility issue though, so the roll back to a previous version is a good idea.

Also, disable automatic updates.

If you were happy with the version you had, there's really no reason to update. Security issues and fine tuning to customise can occur on any version.

Let us all know how you get on.

smiley

+1

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@ Thank you, I didn't think about disabling updates, i'll do that now, I really do think its because I have an old laptop and everything is designed to force you into buying new even though this works just fine, I dont use it for anything else like work etc., so it pisses me off, thanks again.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@ijaija I have disabled future updates, lets hope I have no more problems on that front, thanks RB, have a great weekend.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@ijaija I hear,"don't buy a bleedin laptop it lasts a few years and its dead."i heard they can't be fixed. ???--and you just throw em.Can you fix it?I've got old desktop,I wouldn't trade it for new CArdboard junk you can't fix."Ob--so--les--ance."spelling? They used to plan it for CARS,now its computers.

Report comment
(4y)

@ (someone finally wrote"windows update destroys your Norton antivirus" it did.to mine--I hadda go thru sh*t to get it again.)In fact if you're around Apple users,I hear they get a lotta new Apple users!hah hah-- smiley only reason I don't go back to Apple myself is,the STRESS OF CHANGE and the cost.---My sister loves her Apple.sigh. smiley I can't ever say that about Microsoft slavery any more. smiley

Report comment
(4y)
(edited)

@clarachan1355 Apple are so much worse now. I loved the old Macs.

To be honest, Norton does nothing but cause problems on all my computers,. I'd never use it.

Microsoft is a business, like Apple. They collect data.

If you change settings and secure your privacy, they work well.

It is what it is.

For old/older computers the updates seem to be mostly incompatible. I think that's where a lot of issues are.

I'm sure one day I'll have to upgrade my computer for that reason and others .

For now, I have a computer friend who is paranoid about security and with tweeks, he lives Microsoft, so I defer to his expertise.

top expert
Report comment
(4y)
(edited)

Hey there,

Just saw this thread and was wondering if anybody knows how to join a class-action suit against Microsoft. There was a lot of talk when they forced Windows 10 on the unsuspecting public, which includes me. I know they've made promises and offered solutions & fixes, but basically, nothing that has made up for the emotional distress; financial bind of taking my computer to get looked at (to no avail); the misery of having to use a Chromebook, a million thumbdrives, & Google Docs for writing assignments; not to mention the time I've wasted with a Windows 10 learning curve that's way too complicated for my over-30, English-Major brain.

Now, my computer won't even turn on. I can't get to the DOS screen (if there even is such a thing anymore); my hard drive is full of unbacked-up files; and the last time I used it, my Norton went on a rant about the Microsoft security cancelling/negating Norton commands (?). I'm furious and I want to sue those MS blankety-blanks smiley
Read more

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@wolfeather11 Hi, I also wish we could do that or at least speak to someone when they cause problems, you have had more of a nightmare than me, I did everything above links suggested and it did not work, I eventually uninstalled the problem update last night, don't know if that has worked yet as ironically Virgin Media has been down today, I bloody hate technology,when it goes wrong we are stuffed, I hope you get sorted. Try not to get arrested bashing the kids. Irene.

Report comment
(4y)

@ijaija @ijaija Thanks for commiserating Do you think that rather than AI taking over, it'll be mid-grade tech by driving us all crazy?

You know, Irene, Marley also said, "You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."

Report comment
(4y)

3 programs to stop the auto updates
www.novirusthanks.org/products/w...
www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
www.majorgeeks.com/files/details...

The first lets you toggle updates, note you also cant download new programs from windows store. you have to toggle the update permissions to do so.

The last 2 stops microsoft from spying on you, note if you update your pc you will have to run both over again.

I use all 3 and only update maybe 2-3x per year if something major is needed.

+2

Hide 1 reply...
This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,737 reviews • 122,398 films • 18,478 TV series