This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,657 reviews
122,383 films • 18,475 TV series

i am crazy to dump microsoft & windows 10!! (1042 views, 28 replies)

This topic has been closed.

master
Report comment
(5y)

I NEED ADVICE.no one unless smiley you know them,ever gives you good advice.I don't want windows 10,its crap,i want out of it.--it is TOO MUCH--CAUSE I have to spend all my time on sh*tty windows trying to figure it out--the pages won't even close!!my sister got an apple cuz she had the saME PROBLEM;AND ALL HER FRIENDS SAID"yOU DON'T HAVE TO DO ALL THAT SHIT WORK ON WINDOWS, ON AN APPLE."Apple does all the damn sh*t work!!she's very happy with it,even having to learn a new system.--its still not as bad as Windows 10 and microsoft!!! smiley

so i am asking advice on that. i am, sick of spending every minute on fixing daamn windows 10!!i hate it!!!ARE APPLES REALLY MANAGED BY THE APPLE CO.??AND ARE THEY SIMPLER?ALL I WANTA DO IS, COPY ALL MY ART,CARTOONS AND EMOJIS ONTO CDS OR DVDS BURN THEM(I HAVE A BURNER)TAKE EM OFF AND DUMP THIS FFFING PC!!!AND computer repairs take you to the cleaners!!so i wanta do this as soon as possible, i'm sick of computers!!!i have a life!!!--and fffing windows is wasting my life!!!thank you. ...
Read more

master
Report comment
(5y)

Someone already solved that problem... get a Mac. smiley

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@(⌐■_■) yeah, i should have written that dowm when we did it.I thought i could avoid it.Probably going to buy a Apple.

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

I would use a Mac if I could afford it, but my brother has one. We were diehard PC users until about 2010. I have three iOS devices, I started with an iPod Touch and have had 3 iPhones and this is my second iPad mini. My whole extended family only uses iPhones. If I can troubleshoot them, anyone can, and Apple has always been fast and very helpful (the three whole times I’ve actually had to call them about an issue). I will never get a PC again. No viruses. No software to store and purchase upgrades. App upgrades are part of having the Apps. No hackers. No bullsh*t. If you can afford a Mac, get it, but I watch movies on my iPad mini 4. You can get the full iPad, but I like the portability of smaller things, so I prefer the mini. I also prefer it because you can run both iPhone and iPad apps on it. It’s like the best of both worlds for iOS mobile devices. Never regretted ditching my laptops and desktops, and after trying out an Android tablet, I will never ever get another one of those things either. ...
Read more

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@ditzygypsy Good thanks for the feedback;yes,since I can finally afford the Apple, gonna do it.--the windows 10 lasted 6 months?Oh mi God that's terrible.6 months of a major computer issue?

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

If you hate Windows and can't afford a Mac, use Linux. It's free and can be installed on anything. This will get you going on selecting the right distribution (hint: they are all good): techlog360.com/linux-distro-begi...

admin
Report comment
(5y)

Windows is OK, just reinstall it. Use a good ad-blocker. And update windows regularly.

+1

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil "Windows" is where it should be launched after every update... out a damn window.

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil yes, i am just not really a techie.I have a "Turcom pen-tablet set,and everyone was screamingh,"There's no way to have the pen work,there's no sensitivity grade!"Sure enough, the pen moves the surface like a little piece of paper,and refuses to draw.it'll MOVE THE DRAW SURFACE but not DRAW on it. Crazy!

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil tHAT U-BLOCK someone said is good,i got, excellent.The Norton i just got again,and that works fantastically here to deflect major attacks by those movie-sites.

master
Report comment
(5y)

For those seeking equipment - check university and college surplus depts. Computer labs are well stocked and heavily funded, so computers are replaced in a rolling rotation. Check campuses nearby (or online) for upcoming deals or auctions.

+2

master
Report comment
(5y)

Also... consider using phone, notebook, or iPad to mirror video streams straight to your tv. Thus, circumventing the need for a big computer to manage your media.

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@(⌐■_■) hey, we have a university in town, thanks for the info!!i -- can ask the school newspaper too.Wonderful, the University of Oregon will finally be useful, as well as "Aluminized"every football game.NIKE SHOE DISASTER?NIKE funds most of the athletes here.

top expert

Definitely take a look at linux. Just search youtube and you will find a ton of info about linux, but if your not sure I would start with linux mint cinnamon it seems to be the most user friendly www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvlZtChs... but be warned if you are using some proprietary microsoft/windows programming you will need to find its equal in linux. But thats kind of the nice thing about linux its all open source and the programming relies on donations.

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@switchedtokodithankyou mint-cinnamon sounds like a tasty Linux goodie.I'm really sorry Linux isn't more used, it would be better than Microsoft in a lotta ways.--But I read there's just not enough programs,so people shy away--too bad!I can try that"non-downloading"version.(they should come out with a "Windows/Linux Twofer"as an experiment,see how,where,they are similar in use.(???)(obviously i do not kknow puter-science.)I should stick to custard as a science, heh--that I can do!!.

@clarachan1355 yes definitely you can dual boot until you make up your mind. And don't think think there will be a twofer linux is all about being open source and free. Windows and even mac are about making people spend money. And the world of linux is huge I run A Arch based kde version of linux and the things I can do to adjust my desktop are really cool, but for now linux mint will get your teeth wet. Any programs you are using now just type the name of the program and add lnux to the search that might help you to make up your mind.

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

Macs are not immune to viruses. I don't know where you're getting that Macs cannot get viruses, but it's not true.

+1

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@deiosa (I think they just mean"Not as MANY viruses",is all.Example,everyone warns me to not have my email right on my desk,it trails in viruses,Mal,so I always have my email on the Web.--if that helps.)

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 That's not true. They are subject to just as many potential virus issues. Sorry. :(

Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 No, there is a real myth that Macs are safe from viruses. I used to own a Mac and had to buy Symantec Anti-virus to remove all of the viruses that were infecting my files that I'd worked on and saved off the school computers.

skilled
Report comment
(5y)

The bottom line is: all platforms, including Apple, require some user TLC to keep them running. Even a Mac doesn't 'just work' all the time and you'd better buy AppleCare and keep it current to minimize 'hair pulling' when an update bricks your machine.

Also keep in mind that there's still a lot of Personal Information harvesting on both Win and Mac (as well as iPad and android apps), so read the tech rags on a regular basis and take the recommended steps to minimize your exposure.

I use Win7 and linux mint on two desktops, both hardwired to an EdgeRouter, but my other three family members use both Win7 laptops and Macbook Pros (six machines), as well as iPhones and iPads over WiFi (fed from the same EdgeRouter).

Depending on what software you're into (CAD, Graphics, Video Editors, Renderers, Compilers, Games etc.) the decision as to which platform to use will be made for you, because the specific software you want to use may not run on two out of the three platforms and substitution/emulation may be less than ideal, if possible at all.

+2

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@WAGB283 two desk tops?that sounds good--on Edge Router---!Now I use a lot of Graphics,do computer art,I always had found,long ago,a Mac was better.--If it still is,all good.i'm aware that I better get AppleCare i'm glad they have one.I guess reading ("Wired"?)--a computer rag IS a good idea, i used to do that."Popular Mechanics"is still being published, or it was.Talk about an OLD MAG.!!

(EXCEPT one organization is so old,it dates back to ..?--1789,or 1800's, something like that--NRA is that old.If they had magazines, too,id love to see one.heh heh!"Hey, we are officially our own COUNTRY!!WHY NOT "LOOK MAGAZINE"?"LADIES HOME JOURNAL"?"lIFE"MAGAZINE?"FIELD AND STREAM"?)

@clarachan1355 Now that you have said that check a program called blender and a program called kdenlive, and linux has a ton of image editing software

master
Report comment
(5y)

I got a new hard drive and they installed windows 10 and I freaked out,,, I wrote microsoft, screaming about how much I hated it,, hated everything Oracle installed through windows 10,, they wrote back the instructions for going back to windows 7... and now I'm happy again,,,,
Oracle is the company that has x-box and the games and all sorts of different things.. I don't play games so why do I need games that install themselves?

+2

top expert

Sorry keep commenting there is one distro you should take a look at called ubuntu studio www.youtube.com/watch?v=txVIlioe...

master
Report comment
(5y)

I will ask Oracle about that,getting instructions to "go back to 7"as a surface on a Windows 10 could be ok.--cause I don't think the rest of the Web would patronize only a 7 any more.Only the Chrome,of all the browsers,worked on my old machine 7.--I could not even buy fabric online without it.--Nothing else worked./So websites and other areas will not let me meander in only Win. 7.I have a feeling.

Being able to buy things only online has a reason--up until this economy,not as much need but after 2018, was it??--after the crash,and also now, A LOT,this is happening all over the USA--"businesses closing forever."This is happening so badly, all over the nation(other people else where tell this too)that the only USA BUSINESSES surviving are all the big corporation "big box"stores.--Even in "rich" northern California, which is supposed to be very haute,even there it is happening.So if yer a Big Box store,like "Home Depot,"ect. you could survive---not otherwise.The huge chains are surviving better. AND many businesses also only live ONLINE.
Read more

master
Report comment
(5y)

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

The machine I currently use came with Win 10 installed. I think it lasted about 3 days before I replaced it with Linux. It only lasted that long because I try to give the latest Windows a chance whenever I get a new laptop. As usual, it annoyed the hell out of me and as usual I went back to Linux with a great sense of relief. Some people feel intimidated by Linux, I think mainly because it attracts a lot of techie type users, but for most people it's not really very different from using Windows, other than the lack of bugs and glitches. I've been keeping my totally not computer savvy sister happy using Linux for about 6 years now, mainly by periodically introducing her to a new (free) program when she wants to do something new. Most of the time she's using Chrome to do stuff online, and for that, there is no difference between Windows and Linux.

Macs are great for graphics, and they are pretty, but the prices are outrageous for both the hardware and software. From my perspective, unless you specifically want a Mac, keep the machine you have and install Linux. ...
Read more

+2

expert
Report comment
(5y)

The age old war between windows/mac/linux. They are just different. Each has is own benefits. It is just what you prefer. The real winner is Apple, but it will cost you. Windows is relatively easy and cheap, because it comes pre installed. Linux is great for privacy and customizing. In terms of viruses and malware use either apple or linux. Because that is the main drawback of windows. And the amount of harvesting your personal data. The drawback of apple is that it costs you a lot of money, mainly because of all the extra's you will want, and ofcourse have to be apple too. Linux requires a bit more technical knowledge or the will to learn these. Although Linux mint is almost fool proof. Personally I would not go back to windows. Because I am sick of all the sh*t too. If I have the money there would be apple. But I don't. So I use Linux mint stable version. It took me some time getting used to, but if you know how to use google, you can find most solutions are already found by others. ...
Read more

+1

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,657 reviews • 122,383 films • 18,475 TV series