This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,742 reviews
122,406 films • 18,479 TV series

The Fast And The Slow Of Windows 10 Updates. (2589 views, 73 replies)

This topic has been closed.

God
Report comment
(6y)

Going of what i've been reading on the internet, this is a common problem, someone posted it took 24 hours to sort out a update and others are saying it takes " 10 " mins (not for me). Like some have said you need two PC,s just so you can do a update on one them lol, it is a joke. <br> <br> www.brucebnews.com/2017/07/the-fa... <br> <br> One thing i hate about (well i just hate it) Windows 10 is it makes it impossible to do a good (date you want) system restore and i just do not trust Windows 10, one thing i've always said, is Windows 10 is nothing more than a internet " TV licence ", what use is it compared to the earlier versions. <br> <br> Could you please post how you are coping (do you like it) with Windows 10 and any ideas around it, like going back to an earlier version, thanks. :)

+4

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 windows 10 crashed my pc after updates unable to restore...i am sticking with chrome os plus extensions user friendly ...

Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 Hi I have added a address/Link for an article on how to manually create a restore point for Win 10. www.techregar.com/how-to-create-s... <br> <br> This is my first computer with Win 10 on it and I am still learning. I have an external hard drive that I use to perform a system backup about every week or so. The Hard drive is only used to back up the system and important files then put safely away. So far my system has performed very well. I liked Win 7 on my other computer. If I have any major problems I have my copy of Win 7 Professional that I could install as the operating system. As I noted that my new system is running fine right now. My updates have been smooth.

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@Stephen386 (I have windows 7 professional,still, but won't we be FORCED into Win 10, later?)

Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 Hi - MS will stop support for Windows 7 eventually and then you will have to make a choice of what operating system you are going to use. They do not technically force you into anything - they just quit supporting the software they make. Typical MS business tactic.

Report comment
(5y)

@Stephen386 When i bought my new pc, i had to buy W/10 software, no choice. It is a internet Tv-licence.

guru
Report comment
(6y)

They drive me bloody mad! The worst thing about Win10 ( a glorified 'phone OS ) is that you don't have the option to turn off updates, or choose when to install them ~ there are supposed to be a couple of tweaks that give the user back this feature, I've tried them and they don't work. Nether is the restore ( rollback ) feature available on most versions. In effect with Win10 M$ effectively took the control of your machine out of your hands. <br> <br> The "creators" update back in April overwrote my external hard drive and wiped 20 years of photos, music files and important text files. And I didn't even know it was updating 'cos it started to update when I thought I had turned the machine off and gone to bed. Fortunately I found an article on HowToGeeks that saved my files ~ but not without a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth. Now I always unplug the external before I shut down the laptop. <br> The feature that I used on that occasion has now disappeared from my settings folder with the most recent unasked for update. ...
Read more

+1

Hide 10 replies...
Report comment
(6y)

@gallanted Some of what you have posted is always on my mind > <br> *** the option to turn off updates, or choose when to install them*** <br> <br> Best i can do is to delay the restart crap for 7 days and then it will proberley not load proper, what i mean by that is when i'm not using the PC i've set it to auto upload and switch off, then when i turn the PC on it just says all the updates have not been loaded, really pi*sing me off all this once a month crap. <br> <br> Thanks for the reply and link. :)

+4

Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 I have been reading your comments here and in the forum, why dont you just use linux if you hate Win10 so much? <br> <br> I have to use Win10 for school, but have not had any of the issues either of you have had. What version of Win10 are you using? I use Win10 on one computron and Linux on my others. I hate having to use Win10 but it just makes things easier with school and all. I have been using it since 2005 and it is beautiful especially because you can tailor it to suit your needs. You can make a media machine, a security machine etc. <br> <br> It is just a suggestion, but if you don't have to use Win10 there are many options available.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 If you choose "metered connection" it can't update without your permission. I had this prior to about 5 months ago. I'm ify about Windows 10, but I've stayed with it as the security is superior if you take the time to customise it. I had problems with Windows 10 on my SSD, but have changed some settings and have no problems now. That's a simplified answer to a complicated question (for me, anyhow).

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@ Thanks for the reply, i think it's to do with Cortana (might* turn it back on tomorrow), W/10 probs is world wide, the more post like your's and others on W/10 the better, thanks. smiley smiley

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 No worries, happy to try to be of any help I can. I've also a really brilliant computer guy that's a friend, so he helps me out a lot! :) <br>

Report comment
(5y)

@gallanted Worst OS ever? So you've never used Vista then? smiley

Report comment
(5y)

@Mykee83 I haven't... read so much about it on forums back then that I avoided it like the plague :D

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@gallanted ok, that does it; i refuse to go to !0 and lose all my art work,and my "huge emote collection"and uploads of movies.--i would personally go to Seattle, stay with my cousin, find Gates, and snap his neck.Not kidding!some angry person will kill him eventually!I predict it!(i'm good at prediction.)

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 I don't think Gates has much of a say it what goes on these days. CEO Satya Nadella and Chairman John Thompson have been running things for the past few years. <br> Prior to his current role Nadella headed up their R&D department so my guess he's to blame for the swing towards the cr@p that they call an OS.

+1

master

For those that want to use Win 10 WITHOUT SPYWARE: <br> <br> bgr.com/2015/08/14/windows-10-spy...

+3

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(6y)

@𝓜𝓸𝓾𝓼𝓮*🐭 Hi I have a few links for software that will disable the Win 10 tracking and recording. <br> I have used Spybot Anti-Beacon and switched to O&O Shutup 10. <br> Both are easy to use with no malware. Make sure you create a restore point before making any changes to your system. <br> <br> Spybot: <br> www.safer-networking.org/spybot-... <br> <br> ShutUp10: <br> www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10 <br> <br> Blog on Telemetry Blockers: <br> www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/...

+4

@Stephen386 Hi! I've always liked Spybot Anti-Beacon, but the others are new to me, I will def check them out! Thanks :)

master

This is a more updated version (2017) of how to reduce the crap on Win 10: smiley <br> <br> Personally, I find win 10 fine, that is after doing some adjustments like these ones, and I am a former Linux user, <br> <br> www.express.co.uk/life-style/scie... <br> <br>

+5

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(6y)

@𝓜𝓸𝓾𝓼𝓮*🐭 Used to think the updates were nothing more than spyware coping your recent activity. <br> <br> No longer thinking it, thanks for the links. smiley

+5

@PureVodka🍺 Yeah, there is always two sides to the story, so I've learned the hard way :)

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@𝓜𝓸𝓾𝓼𝓮*🐭 why'd ja dump Linux?not enuff programs?)cause I was lookin into Linux.

+1

@clarachan1355 I learned how to "borrow" Windows free of charge. I did like Linux though. You never know, may someday return to that. Be warned, lots to learn using that. smiley

+1

God
Report comment
(6y)

If you are having trouble with the size of text//images (RE: Windows 10), this <br> topic may be of some help. <br> <br> answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind... <br> <br> Also they is some helpful replies on this subject here. <br> <br> dosmovies.com/forum/thread/Newbies-Watch.... <br> <br> If you have any advice on this topic please feel free to share. smiley

master

As requested by a few here, there are ways to delay Windows 10 updates, here is a tutorial that should help with that: <br> <br> www.laptopmag.com/articles/stop-... <br> <br> A program that is very helpful for those who like to tweak Windows is this: <br> <br> Tip: Only click on "Download Winaero" none of the other stuff you may see there. smiley I personally hate the arrows on the desktop icons (what purpose do they actually serve?) smiley And yes the Winaero Tweaker has an option to delete those :) <br> <br> winaero.com/blog/the-list-of-win... <br> <br> Hopefully this will help some with Windows 10 annoyances smiley

master

If you just want to disable Win 10 updates, this is the particular one that will be helpful! smiley <br> <br> winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-... smiley

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(6y)

@𝓜𝓸𝓾𝓼𝓮*🐭 Please don't disable updates. Just make windows to ask you whenever install/download them.

+4

@Dr.Evil Hi there I never disable updates as I know they are important. I always tell others to just delay them while they are using their pc😀

Report comment
(6y)

@𝓜𝓸𝓾𝓼𝓮*🐭 Yeah these updates are annoying as hell... but it's windows, the most unsafe platform due to popularity and market share.

+5

Report comment
(6y)

@Dr.Evil You forgot to say Bill Gates <br> is a git. smiley smiley <br>

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Dr. Evil, could you please save this whole subject & page?--not put in archives,or flush it later?next 2 yrs.some of us will be forced into 10,& may be unavoidable.thank you,Evil. :)

God
Report comment
(6y)

Since i turned of " Windows Defender " (via using the software TM recommended) my pc as been running a lot faster. But up to twice a day my pc will just switch off and on for about one min, and i have gone through all the settings (and set a update time) where there is things it will not let you click on, i.e nothing happens. <br> <br> But at least this is only like once/twice a day, bottom line W/10 is bent as f**k but it is worth over 200 billion dollars = a lot of powerful share holders.

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 ---not if blood thirtsty, techie 16 yr.olds with Oozies and switch-blades,finally get ahold of B.G. and eventually TAKE HIM OUT--or do a "Fight Club"-scene, and blow up the major buildings of Microsoft (ALL of them)completely until there are only ashes.--of course,I won't have to do it,then,) :)

master
Report comment
(6y)

We bought a small Dell laptop for travel. It is windows 10. The first update said not enough hard drive space for the update. It is virtually empty nothing has been added as far as programs or apps. I prefer 8.1

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@fortunate1 (you don't think you'll be forced eventually into 10, either?Can we avoid 10,forever,and use old versions? I know a lotta people with old PCS,(hardware) are only upgrading,having refurbished their OLD PCS ,and refusing to BUY new pcs--cause the new pcs are reported to be cardboard junk, disposeable.)

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 yes eventually but I will go apple. let them spy on me for a change other thhan my phone.

Report comment
(5y)

@fortunate1 stupid people nothing to downvote here! Trove of idiots <br>

+1

@fortunate1 Hey there..... Maybe you don't know about the guy who had multiple accounts here (before Dr.Evil stepped in) down voted everything I've posted with all his fake accounts .... and he did the same to a few others as well.. And believe it or not he's still around.... quite an idiot (or wanker) as some have called him smiley smiley smiley

+2

God
Report comment
(5y)

Has anyone got the Windows 10 " 30/04/2018 " update and is it any good? <br> <br> I have the 10/04/2018 update and the 09/05/2018 update, but " not " the 30/04/2018 one. <br> Is the 30th April one a late update of the 10th of April one? <br> <br> www.howtogeek.com/340688/whats-c... <br> <br> venturebeat.com/2018/04/27/windo... <br> <br> Thanks in advance for any info. smiley

Hide 10 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 Go to your start menu search bar and type in system information, click on the desktop app that appears and then check your version number. There wasn't a "major update" on 10th April, the one released in April was the one released on 30th April. <br> <br> There are two projected major updates per year, usually for adding new features, plus lots of small ones, usually linked to minor security and bug fixes. <br> <br> My current version is build 17134 which is the April major release as far as I can tell. The main change is that timeline thing which I haven't used yet but as a whole the system seems a lot more stable and (fingers crossed) this one seems to have corrected the wireless drop outs I was having every 2 days.

Report comment
(5y)

@Mykee83 All i got is, " Thank you for updating to the latest version of windows " when i clicked on it. <br> i.e. Circle of dots and then a blank/white screen with that heading and i did not hear anything download. <br> <br> Why someone downvoted your post i do not know (to many critics on this site), thanks. smiley

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 Being down voted doesn't bother me, it's maybe someone taking my serious tone as being aggressive or condescending, or it's that wanker from the other forum who's throwing a hissy fit over people responding to him smiley

Report comment
(5y)

@Mykee83 My pc restarts (switch on/off) once a day at any time of the day, late evening or 15 min after turning on. Is they any way i can check the logs (without " me " f**king things up) to see if there is a fault of some sort? Thanks. smiley <br> <br> [SPOILER]

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 is it a full restart; as in windows tells you it's shutting down or does it just die?

Report comment
(5y)

@Mykee83 Switches on/off, no warning, did last night and just now after being on line less than 30 mins. <br> I'm positive this is W/10 (and maybe google) collecting data (which in there terms, says they do, *legally) and sending it of to wherever (they will be BIG money made for them in doing this). <br> <br> Also at all diff times of the day, pc is on overload when i have just 1 page open (preparing the collected data i guess).

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 I get random slow downs, that's normal because Windows 10 is still newish so suffers system degradation occasionally. You can usually fix it with a restart and reduce its occurrences by maintaining the system (clearing history, scheduling disk checks and defrags etc.). <br> <br> As for the power issues... try the advice here windowsreport.com/random-restart... (ignore where it tells you to download stuff). Also, check if your PC is overheating, make sure it's properly ventilated and that the power cable is securely in if it's a desktop. <br> <br> If it's a laptop, always have it on a solid surface or buy a cooling pad (my old Toshiba had crap ventilation and kept dying but a £10 usb powered pad solved that). <br> <br> Switching your system off to collect data wouldn't work but if you're that paranoid TM posted a site which tells you how to disable the windows privacy invasion and you could ditch chrome for a number of similar browsers with higher privacy controls.

@PureVodka🍺 @PureVodka🍺 Of course you know who down voted all mine, and anyone else who annoyed him (with his multiple accounts) The Wanker, as Mykee so rightly called him....

Report comment
(5y)

@Mykee83 idiots landed on your post too I see.

+1

God
Report comment
(5y)

Also last night, after the last restart, i did this: <br> <br> Change the restart behavior for the computer. To do this, follow these steps: <br> <br> 1)Use the keyboard shortcut Image+ E to launch File Explorer. Right-click on This PC, and then click Properties. <br> <br> 2)Click Advanced system settings and select the Advanced tab. <br> <br> 3)In the Startup and Recovery section, choose Settings and click to clear the Automatically restart check box. <br> <br> From a post dated 2016 <br> answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind... <br> <br> Guess that proves it's not a fault.

Hide 6 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Mykee83 Been trying to record the last 12 entries, going to try some other (1st attempt would only record the screen) recording software. <br> <br> I'm guessing you will understand the log entries? <br> <br> Thanks for the link, bookmarked.

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 take note of the next few times the reboots kick in then check the logs for entries at those times, if nothing there it's unlikely that it's a software problem and might be worth getting it looked at. <br> <br> did you see the other stuff I posted above?

Report comment
(5y)

@Mykee83 <br> Under (just checked) System failure: <br> <br> The " automatic restart " button is still unticked, yet it still restarted today. <br> W/10 Controls your pc. <br>

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Mykee83 In the log entries i posted below, the last one at " 11:28.56 " (at 40 sec in the vid), is the 1st error log entry after the pc restarted, do you think Cortana is the cause of this prob? Thanks. :)

+1

God
Report comment
(5y)

@Mykee83 <br> <br> The " windows report " link i already have bookmarked, not run a scan yet today. <br> <br> Is posting (making public) this info safe? <br> <br> <br> <br> I've disabled Cortana, " thanks to TM giving me a link to a site on how to do it ", after disabling it, my pc went 2 days without restarting, now it is back to normal restarting once a day. Cortana is well (from what i've read) known for collecting your data. <br> <br> Thanks in advance for any help/ideas. smiley

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 <br> Cortana is showing in settings again, but i don't no if it is running, will know by tomorrow evening. <br> Wonder if the pc reboots will stop now, will up date on that within the next 36 hours. ;)

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 <br> Went 2 days without restarting, just done it again, Cortana is always mentioned in the error logs.

master

Maybe better to just do this: <br> <br> support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help...

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@𝓜𝓸𝓾𝓼𝓮*🐭 Nope, i'm not going into " Command Prompt " lol, to tech for me, not risking losing all my bookmarks again. <br> <br> Thanks for adding the link to this forum topic. smiley smiley <br> Have you used the software yourself? smiley

+1

@PureVodka🍺 Yeah it seems intimidating, but it really isn't... no chance of losing your bookmarks. I've fixed a number of win10 issues this way. Depends what you are comfortable with of course. smiley <br> <br> Not sure of which software you are speaking of though?

Report comment
(5y)

@𝓜𝓸𝓾𝓼𝓮*🐭 Sorry thought it was a software program. :)

@PureVodka🍺 I'm thinking you've clicked on one of those advertising links.... that's one thing you have to be careful of on any information site, they use ads same as everywhere else. Best to ignore those at all costs smiley smiley

God
Report comment
(5y)

After running the " PC Repair Tool ", it said you have this and that prob, but to " start repair ", buy a licence, i'm a idiot, should have know that was going to happen smiley , nothing is free and i bet it would have not fixed the prob. smiley

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 I did say ignore where it tells you to download. if you scroll down it describes settings to check

Report comment
(5y)

@Mykee83 Sorry, read your post wrong, was thinking you meant avoid adds, going to read that other stuff now. smiley

master
Report comment
(5y)

So smiley that's the future of Windows--switch to Apple or go to Linux.--cause B.Gates is out to destroy the home computer--my sister went to Apple, she likes it.I have to investigate soon, before 2 yrs are up,and I'm forced into windows 10.its either Linux,or Apple,I have to switch,or put Linux in my big pc,or --quit computers completely, and just keep one for "necessary things,"that's it.I never left windows 7, at all,but within next 2 yrs, they will KILL WINDOWS 7.i'll be forced to switch to something else not windows. anyone here use apple, do you like it?let me know.thanks! smiley

God
Report comment
(5y)

Update to do with my pc rebooting: <br> Some months back i turned off Windows Defender which left my pc running a little faster, but then my pc would reboot once a day with no warning (this is not an uncommon problem). <br> Found a 18 month old thread to do with this problem which shows you how to switch Windows update off, which i have done and now gone 2 weeks (the longest before was 2 days) without my pc rebooting. smiley smiley

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,742 reviews • 122,406 films • 18,479 TV series