This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,742 reviews
122,406 films • 18,479 TV series

7 simple ways to protect your online privacy (3894 views, 18 replies)

This topic has been closed.

admin
Report comment
(5y)

While you may think your personal information is actually personal, you'd be surprised how much information about you winds up online.

That's because your personal information, including your email address, phone number and social security number, is worth a lot of money to legitimate businesses and bad guys alike. The bad guys just want to steal from you. Companies want to know as much about you as possible so they can sell you more products and services or serve you ads that are highly relevant to your demographics and preferences.

1. Don't fill out your social media profile.

The more information you share with everyone online, the easier it's going to be for someone to get their hands on it. The first line of defense is to lock down your social media accounts (TwoMovies is totally fine smiley ).

Don't want to lock down your account? Then be choosy about what you share.
Read more

+20

Hide 6 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Thanks Dr.Evil ;) Excellent post for National Cybersecurity Awareness Month!

I think there are many more tips that could be shared but mine will be...

Do not trust just anyone online that you don't know in real life. Be aware what you share about your personal life.

What you post will last forever: Be aware that when you post a picture or message
online, you may also be inadvertently sharing personal details with strangers about
yourself and family members – like where you live. Read about the metadata that's attached to pictures you've taken.

• Post only about others as you would like to have them post about you: The golden
rule applies online as well.

Keep everything updated and encrypted.

Run scans regularly and read up on Botnets, Ransomware, Spyware, Malware, Viruses and so on.

Knowledge is power so stay informed and aware!

Read more

+6

Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A Also..

Avoid clicking on links and do not accept files.

+5

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Dont laugh at me for asking this 😄
On the iPad how do you turn on private browsing ? Or does Safari not have that ? Lol

Report comment
(5y)

@chaseyerself Safari does have it.
Open Safari and tap on tabs in the top right corner, it will show all the tabs that are open at the moment. In the top right corner again you can see 'Private', tap it and you are in private browsing.

Alternatively you can use other browsers, Chrome is something you should stay away from if you want your details to be private. Duckduckgo is a good one. It even tells you how secure a site is and also if it tracks everything you do.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Athb007 aw yea lol i actually new that hahaha sorry am braindead lol thanks so much for telling me ,i honestly forgot you could do it haha

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Nice info dude

Report comment
(5y)

Torrent Browsing. Vpn. Malwarebytes is nice to have. I agree with @EUNOIA , posting personal & 'immature' posts on social sites only ends up worsening things; more times than not.

+4

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@cclx7repell I agree and I always use a VPN as well Malwarebytes is a great tool that catches a lot of "things" even faster than most Anti-Viruses do. I avoid personal info like the plague and "immature" posts are an absolute NO NO for me. Not only is it a waste of time and brain cells but it's pointless, can be hurtful and overall not productive. This rule applies on two-movies as well "social sites" anywhere online. Unfortunately I see it a lot on here which says a lot. +1 for your comment and thanks for sharing :)

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@cclx7repell the only thing is malwarebytes is too good because it blocks some good sites no matter what browser you're using. ie blocks openload and gets alot of popups just to make an exception for it.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@arcreaper Most any protection will give out false-positives but the good thing is you can adjust it in settings "allow" oe "Deny" and such. It beats not getting detected at all IMO. Even just the free version of Malwarebytes is good enough and does not give all those pop-up alerts as only the paid version runs live protection. Just run a scan here and there and you're good to go.

Report comment
(5y)

@arcreaper I use Malwarebytes. Found it easy to add allowed sites. But got bored with it. Now I let it run at the start, then tell it Exit. Over some years you learn which are 'safe' sites. So anti this or that software becomes less important.

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Very good advice Dr. Evil.
All my computers are hard wired. WiFi is way to easy to intercept. Even a cheap scanner makes it ridiculously easy. With hard wire you would have to physical breach the shielded cable. That would be noticed. It changes the capacitance of the line, especially at the frequencies that modern computers use. I'm quite luck as it's hard wired in optical from my house to the government owned satellite dish. After that, well. That's when you see the slow downs depending on which servers your accessing.
Sorry Dr. Evil. No.7 There is no such thing as a secure WiFi. It's operation makes that impossible. It transmits and receives by electromagnetics. The very nature of which is easily intercepted. Even 128 bit encryption can be cracked by anyone bored enough to really try.
As said, very good advice.
I use Firefox as a browser. One of it's basic toggle settings is "Delete everything on closing browser". Might take a fraction of a second longer when opening well used pages in a new session.

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Great tips, I use nearly all of them. Only thing I can add is perhaps a switch of browser. I've been using Waterfox since Firefox started using Chrome tactics of tracking use. Waterfox gives the flexibility of Firefox ie uses same addons, apps, and also lets users use earlier addons that have been disabled by current versions of Firefox. It's free, and I'm not connected in any way to them, but it's the best I've found.
Oh and Duck duck go is it's default search.

+3

master
Report comment
(5y)

thank you, Dr, Evil, especially for tips about secure browsing.i too like Waterfox and avast secure browser has "stealth mode";and i followed yer advice about getting on newspapers,so I can get on and read.--it works!! smiley

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

Very nice list! This will be a great help to a lot of users! smiley smiley

+1

Report comment
(5y)

Everything you do online is up for public scrutiny for ever VPN's don't keep you safe even the paid ones(just read about what happened to the Dread Pirate Roberts and the silk road) if someone wants your information they can get it so don't waste your money on VPN's

Use multiple Email addresses and don't link them

Never use the email address you use for banking to brows general sites only trusted sites that you shop from

Never give out personal information online if someone says that they are from your bank or anywhere you make purchases from and you are unsure about an Email contact them by phone to confirm it is from them

Using Paypal to Purchase items gives you protection if things turn out wrong

private browsing is no different to normal browsing Metadata is still collected

Social networking sites are one of the worst places to make your security vulnerable don't add people you don't know. lock your profiles don't post planned information like going on holiday you may think that have just told your friends but possibly the local thieves too.
Read more

+4

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@taz11111111 This is some of the best advice, thanks for sharing ;)

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,742 reviews • 122,406 films • 18,479 TV series