This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,708 reviews
122,388 films • 18,477 TV series

What Are You Currently Reading? 🤓 (870 views, 20 replies)

This topic has been closed.

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

smiley

What are you currently reading?

What's the last book you read?

What book(s) would you recommend?

Who are some of your favourite Authors?

Which book(s) are on your Christmas wish list this year? or maybe on your friend's /family members ??

Do you prefer digital? audio? or good old regular physical books??

Cheers!

+3

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Last book (before Sherlock): White Wolf by David Gemmell (Again)

Recommended: The Bruce Trilogy, the Stewart Trilogy and Lion Let Loose by Nigel Tranter; Legend, King Beyond the Gate and the rest of the Drenai series by David Gemmell, The Saxon Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell and The Eagles Series by Simon Scarrow, The Marathon Series (Arimnestos ftw!!!), The Akkad trilogy by can't remember.

Favourites: Tranter, Scarrow, Cornwell, Tolkien, Gemmell, Ben Kane, Sidebottom (teeheehee)...

Wishlist: I'd like to get the rest of the Saxon, Marathon and Eagle series.

I prefer physical books; the smell, the feel, that satisfying rustle as you open one for the first time... but I like the portability and convenience of a kindle.

+7

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

I like my Kindle if I am at the beach, or just outside in the yard. I still like reading an actual book though as well. I like Detective murder mysteries, authors I like Janet Evanovich, Linda Fairstein,Jonathan Kellerman, and of course cannot forget James Patterson, and Stephen King.... right now I am reading Monster by Jonathan Kellerman.

+2

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

I'm currently reading - Endurance: The Greatest Adventure Story Ever Told,
by Alfred Lansing. It's the true story about Ernest Shackleton's Endurance expedition in 1914/15.

Their mission was to cross the Antarctic Continent overland, from east to west in the open icy wasteland of the Weddell Sea. Their ship becomes ice-locked, starts to sink and the men have to abandon ship and walk, whilst dragging everything they needed in a heavy life boat - and that is just the footnote!
What those men endured is amazing! If you're interested in survival then I would definitely recommend checking the story out.

Last book - The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors.

As you can probably tell, I like history.

Book over digital every time. There's nothing like the feel and smell of a book. I even love the smell of old musky books that have been sat unloved for years.

Wishlist - Unless it's a solid gold 1st edition of the Bible, signed by God itself - I'd rather the cash lol
Read more

+3

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale I'vve read "Endurance: The Greatest Adventure Story Ever Told"..and other books about and realated to Shakleton's journey. Amazing stuff. Incredible adventures.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe If you like that kinda thing, Joe, you should check out the tale of The Franklin Expedition and the rescue/discovery attempts that followed.
They didn't have quite the same ending as Shackleton's lot.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale I'd like to read that. Especially after watching the series.."The Terror" earlier in the year. Although one has little to do with the other. History is always better than fiction. [Well..usually!]

master
Report comment
(5y)

I'm currently reading Rich Dad, Poor Dad... trying to get my life in order, lol

I love reading, in any form, mostly non-fiction and often in Spanish if I can get in the mood.
I find it easier to play audiobooks as I read to stay focused, (many are available on youtube or the authors' websites). I usually speed it up, at least 1.12 to 1.5X.

Jon Ronson is one of my favourite authors and he does his own audios. His voice is so soothing and pleasant on the ears. I can listen to him for hours, feels magical haha...

+3

God
Report comment
(5y)

I am currently reading through the rest of my book Multidimensional Man when not watching stuff, almost at the end now so i can begin another book, perhaps one i got myself for Christmas as i have decided to look and search out as many books texts on various religions as i can, some books i thought i would never buy but some of the world forces you too for better understanding, so i have that to look forward to reading fully, self presents, so i could not help myself but to take some small gazes with my eyes, mostly to just see if they are good condition mostly.

I actually prefer audio books more just the selection is nowhere as much as it should be, my favorite listens on Audio books are Dune, 1984, The Sword of Shannara(first 3 books) Watership down, the Bartimaeus trilogy by jonathan stroud just to name a few, i definitely would recommend The Amulet of Samarkand(book 1 in the bartimaeus trilogy)if people like magic and wizards.
Football, its a funny old game, Holly the computer with an IQ of 6000, that has read every book in existence, said this is the worst book ever made, perhaps one to stay clear of smiley
Read more

+3

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@KiaZi Very wonderful, thank you.

+1

God
Report comment
(5y)

I've ben slogging through Moby Dick for the past year. I read it once when I was young. I wanted to see how much my perceptions had changed. A lot. I can't get through it. It's boring me out of my skull. There's good stuff in it, but the technical stuff is overwhelming. I know more about whales than I ever wanted to. I'm ready to get to the philosophical part of the story. Man's anger and vengence. I'm going to finish it...next year. Call me weary.

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe HAH HAH When did they tell real facts about whales in that?I had a obsession with all things WHALE--when a kid.ALL THE DIFFERENT TYPES(not many now)what they do.-

-get this expert writer does an autopsy on an already-died whale--to see if the rumors were true,"whales still had physical trace,big,inside the area where the tale fastens on--in the bone structure-"

-so the autopsy done,bones in whale bACK by tail,show real remnants of whales being way back,when they were LAND ANIMALS,AND THEY HAD LEGS.

Whales at one time,long ago,had walked on land.They gradually deserted land,fled to living in the oceans.--But the anatomical evidence was still there to tell us.Very interesting!

+1

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Physics of the Future: Michio Kaku

Just finished the Otherland series by Tad Williams. 4 large volumes. Complexity and number of story lines makes it not for those with poor attention spans. George RR Martins favorite current author.

I prefer regular books and I read several times faster than spoken word, so audio is pointless.

+2

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Not reading anything at the moment.
But as far as authors go;

Raymond E. Feist.

David Eddings.

And Master of entertaining writing;

Terry Pratchett.

I read fictional books for the entertainment, like a lot of people watch shows. A good writer makes his story play in my head in 3D colour. Imagination always outstrips any 2D screen.

These 3 authors mastered that ability.

+2

master
Report comment
(5y)

I keep trying to re-buy some old sci-fi books that wore out.--and end upcjust doing errands.I am re-reading the original Wizard of Oz books.(I still don't have one gotten.) smiley ESCAPE FROM THE REAL WORLD smiley . smiley smiley smiley smiley

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 I just donated boxes of old books which included many sci-fi gems. Books are great escapes and expand the imagination.

senior master
Report comment
(4y)

There are several books that I have read just from these recommendations here on this thread. Much appreciated.

Thank you kindly for sharing!

senior master
Report comment
(4y)
(edited)

Well GODDESS™, thank you for asking because I am currently preparing a masters in Sexology and I am getting ahead of the game by reading some of the recommended material.

Manhood– the Rise and Fall of the Penis.

BUZZ– A stimulating history of the SEX TOY

Bonk- The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex

and they are all available for digital downloading on the Books for ... threads right here in the Book Forum.

They are providing wonderful insights into the physical and emotional understandiing of the material and well as some very funny anecdotes and historical references.

Thoroughly recommended reading for the upright, uptight and downright sinful among the 2M community.

Happy reading smiley

top expert
Report comment
(4y)

this thread....

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,708 reviews • 122,388 films • 18,477 TV series