This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,645 reviews
122,377 films • 18,475 TV series

Let's Call Them ... Independent (1691 views, 156 replies)

This topic has been closed.

guru
Report comment
(4y)

As one with pretty eclectic tastes in moovies and with a large collection divided into various categories like Action, Biographies, Drama, Fantasy and many more there's a category that's always my fave and I call it Independent.

Now Independent moovies may come from a major studio or maybe not, they might contain A lister stars or folks you've never seen before or even a mix of the 2 types. The one thing they all share is a certain "off the wall" type of appeal that kinda sets them apart, culls them from the herd, so to speak, of what is typically main stream and also tends to make them some of my favorite types of moovies.

One might ask "a few examples if you please?". Ok, so here's a smattering of them: "There Will be Blood", "The Man from Earth", "The Man Who Fell to Earth", "Blue Velvet", "The Royal Tenenbaums", "Rumble Fish", "Pulp Fiction", "The Machinist", "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada", "Bug", "Hard Candy", "Big Bad Love", "Everything Beautiful is Far Away", and "Children Of Men".
Read more

+5

master
Report comment
(4y)

Excellent thread! I have seen about half of those on your list and have added quite a few of the others to my list to be watched, so thank you for those. I'm always looking for something of quality to watch. While I do watch the big budget, mass appeal movies too, I really love those little gems that are different and give you a thrill when you find them. So here are some I pulled from my favorites list that I believe fit your bill. Hope you like them, if you haven't already seen them.

Child of God - dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Child_of_God....

Winter's Bone - dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Winters_Bone....

Boy A - dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Boy_A....

Clara - dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Clara_2018....

We've Forgotten More Than We Ever Knew - dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Weve_Forgotten....

Joe - dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Joe_2013....
Read more

+6

Hide 13 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@rickgrimesrocks Excellent! And a big thanks for the links to your interesting list rick!!

The only ones of yours I've seen are Joe, and Child Of God.

Please feel free to add in another list later as I think many other members might also find moovies like these of interest :>)

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 My favorites from your list are "The Man From Earth", "Pulp Fiction", "The Machinist" and "Hard Candy". I really, really didn't like "Blue Velvet" though. I thought it was weird just for the sake of being weird. That's what makes movies like these good though. One person may love it and another detest it, but they are definitely outside the norm.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@rickgrimesrocks I can see how Blue Velvet might be an acquired taste but all the strangeness going on coupled with just the right cast makes it a stand out as far as really bizarre flicks go.

Always having been a big Dennis Hopper fan he definitely shined in his role as the vicious lunatic Frank.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 Saw Hard Candy above, I loved that movie. I made my husband watch it and boy did he squirm!
Teeny💋

Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 Yeah, that one starts out bad and then just gets waaaay worse as it goes along.

Never looked it up to see but I think this was even before she found fame in having been cast in "Juno".

Strange how things trigger in my head but just rereading the above I thought of another moovie that just keeps getting worse the whole time and it definitely belongs in this thread.

It's called "Funny Games" and it's anything but that!

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 Oh I remember that one and the last music in the beginning credits. That one is scary bc it could really happen but I guess hard candy could too. I thought if great found footage

Conspiracy
dosmovies.com/watch_movie/The_Conspiracy....
💋

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 Have you even seen Ellen Page in An American crime? This was also when she was young pre-Juno. It is also sadly based on a true story
dosmovies.com/watch_movie/American_Crime....
💋

Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 Oh yeah, that's a very haunting moovie indeed, even more so as it was based on a true story too.

Definitely an "Independent" category flick!!

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 I've got another one for you that we watched last night... Amazing film and totally brilliant
Dead man's shoes
dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Dead_Mans_Shoe....
💋

Report comment
(4y)

@rickgrimesrocks I think the other name for "the bottom of the world"is Australia.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@rickgrimesrocks Ok, so I have another suggestion to add a bit more still to this thread, so here goes.

When we watch one of the films listed how about adding a fresh critique afterwards, if you like.

For instance, since rick replied 1st I figured I'd check out one of the films she listed 1st, so I chose "We've Forgotten More Than We Ever Knew" and gave it a watch.

I hafta say I really enjoyed it. Being a post apocalyptic themed flick drew me in at 1st, but the odd way the characters interacted coupled with the initial bleakness of the moovie kept me enthralled.

Better still it def wasn't one of those films I knew within the 1st 15 mins how it was going to end so it kept me engaged.

Big thanks to rick as I really enjoyed this flick!

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 That's a great idea and I'm really glad you enjoyed the movie. I watched one of yours too, "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada". I liked it a lot. Tommy Lee Jones was great and I love movies that have a Western feel to them. The acting from everyone in this was really outstanding. The end caught me a little by surprise and I love that in a movie. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry for Tommy Lee's character there at the end. This one made me keep thinking after it was over and I really like that in a movie. So I totally recommend "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada" as well.

Report comment
(4y)

@rickgrimesrocks So glad you enjoyed it. It's quite a lil gem of a moovie.

Did you know who played the blind man who asked Tommy Lee Jones character to kill him as they were leaving?

That was the late Levon Helm who lost his battle w/cancer not long after the movie was completed.

He was a member of the group The Band from the early 70s whose hits included "Up on Cripple Creek", "The Weight", Stage Fright" and most notably "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" a song they as well as several other artists made popular.

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

Actually i watched all of those movies.

You may try Triangle, Coherence, kill list, Predestination, Moon, Exam, Circle, The happening, Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Wild at Heart, The Cloverfield Paradox, Source Code, Enemy, Under the Skin, The Invitation, Timecrimes, Mr. Nobody. Let me know what you think.

+4

Hide 21 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@xRimax I see we share the same excellent tastes then as I've also seen many of the ones you mentioned.

Some standouts of the ones you mentioned are Moon, Mulholand Drive, and Source Code.

The rest will hafta be added to my Wish List, so thanks!!

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 No worries. Cheers. Enjoy.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@xRimax I myself have seen "The Happening" a million times(not for the acting)but for the subject matter catching onto the whole population.--heh heh.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@xRimax Good choices, I loved all of the above
💋

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 Thank you. :)

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@xRimax Watched "The Triangle" last night and here are a few thoughts on it.

Though I'm not really a fan of the "found footage" style of moovies the initial premise seemed intriguing so I persevered.

Though the acting was decent and the foreboding shadow of things to come had lots of questions flowing through my head, keeping the viewer engaged, it seemed a bit tedious and slow in getting to the meat of the story.

Then when the action finally started to heat up and you're thinking, Ok, so now we're getting somewhere ... it just ends!

I'm sure others will likely enjoy this flick more than I did but at best I'd hafta give it a 4 outta 10 score.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 I guess you watched The Triangle ? Triangle I mentioned is a time loop movie not a found footage one!

Here is the link- dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Triangle_2009....

I guess i should provide you with the links with all the movies i mentioned. That one is a fan favorite. If you liked The Endless then you should like it.

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@xRimax Doh! Thanks for the link then.

I'm sure this one will be better, it nearly has to be, so again, thanks :>)

Report comment
(4y)

@xRimax I loved Coherence. I've actually watched it several times 💋

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 I think i have watched it over 100 times. Still have that movie. It was done in 8 days. Turned out awesome. A real indie film.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@xRimax You sound like me, we watch our favorite ones over and over. Don't ask how many times we've watched Willow Creek...lol💋

Report comment
(4y)

@xRimax Awesome! Thanks for the links, now I won't wind up watching the wrong ones like a dufuss :>P

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 No worries. Enjoy. :)

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@xRimax You've posted some awesome suggestions! Thanks for adding to the thread. I really enjoyed The Triangle (time loop) so thanks for reminding me. I'm going to watch it again this afternoon.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale No worries. Yeah, i didn't understand the ending first time either. Watched it few times too.

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 Which triangle movie did you watch? There is one about a cult living out in the desert and one about people that go sailing and end up boarding a so
dosmovies.com/watch_movie/The_Triangle_2....

dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Triangle_2009/....

I liked them both but just wanted to make sure which one. If it is the second one, my husband didn't care for it either. He doesn't like movies that are left unexplained
Teeny💋

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 The one I saw was the one about people living out in the wilds of Montana.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 Yes that one was a little disappointing. We meet expecting something major to happen and the movie kind of just fizzles out. Try the other one, I really liked it and I've watched it several times just to see if I would catch something I missed in it!
Teeny💋

Report comment
(4y)

@xRimax Have you seen Dead man's shoes? I am adding link for it at the bottom. Brilliant film 💋

Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 Just watched it. Thanks for the link and suggestion. Yeah, i loved it.

+1

guru
Report comment
(4y)

Here's a few more just for consideration:

Breakfast On Pluto
21 Grams
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Blood Simple
The Florida Project
The Endless
Escape From Tomorrow
Muse
Little Children

+3

Hide 7 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 Watched all of them. The Endless and Florida project are standouts. Although both are different. Endless is a classic mind bending movie.

You can checkout Jackals 2017 and The Ritual 2017. Both are pretty good.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 If you liked "The Endless", then try "Resolution" - dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Resolution.... It has a tie in to "The Endless" and is a good movie in it's own right.

Also by the same directors, "Spring" - dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Spring_I....

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@rickgrimesrocks Thanks again for those and yeah I'll add 'em to the great list everyone here is making longer and longer, which is Fantastical lol

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 The ritual mentioned above was really great and had an amazing cast. If you haven't seen it yet, you should
💋

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 So many great recommendations and so few hours in the day!

A big thanks to everyone who's added so much to this thread :>)

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 Is that Muse 2017 or 2019??
💋

Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 Hmmm, good question but one I can't say I have an answer to, sorry :>(

+1

master
Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56
Excellent thread and awesome recommendations.
Let me add a few

1. The suicide theory (Dru Brown 2014)
dosmovies.com/search/?search_query=the+s....
quote:" i jumped off Humber bridge in London last year, 200 people successfully committed suicide. Now i was one of 5 to survive. [pointing at his head] This? self inflicted gun shot.look...you get the picture"
super chicken skin ending

2. Down by law (1986, Jim Jarmusch, B/W)
The godfather of 80s Indies (Roberto Benigni, John Lurie, Tom Waits)
dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Down_by_Law....
quote: [whole prison shouting] "i scream, you scream, we all sream for Icecream!"

3. Mary and Max (Adam Elliot 2009)clay stop motion animation
dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Mary_and_Max....
quote:"Unfortunately, in America, babies are not found in cola cans. I asked my mother when I was four, and she said they came from eggs laid by rabbis. If you aren't Jewish, they're laid by Catholic nuns. If you're an atheist, they're laid by dirty, lonely prostitutes. "
Read more

+2

Hide 9 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@Adrian∞ Mary and Max is one of the saddest film i have ever watched. Great film.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@xRimax You are right it is indeed!
I hardly ever saw a movie that was able to capture lifes tragedy and beauty in such an amazing, humane way.
BTW: Philip Seymour Hoffman is the voice of Max
AND: Adam Elliot also mad this:
Harvie Krumpet
dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Harvie_Krumpet....
same style / Short
CHEERS!

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@Adrian∞ Oh man I really appreciated Seymour Hoffmans talents.

Ever seen Capote? that was an interesting tale.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@Adrian∞ Just watched it. It's great as well. Thank you very much. Cheers.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@Adrian∞ Thanks for addin to the thread!

So many interesting things to add to my watch list, awesome!

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 Bakatcha! (quick learner here,lol)My watch list is also growing in your thread! very happy about it

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@Adrian∞ "We Need to Talk About Kevin", WOW!! Tilda Swinton knocks it out of the park! You're right that little boy is very creepy and the older one is too. Thank you for the recommendation.

Here's my review for it - dosmovies.com/watch_movie/We_Need_to_Tal....

master
Report comment
(4y)

This made me start rummaging around in my brains movie department again:
With the help of a glass of "Havana Club" i have found some in the shelves.5 more

1. Night on Earth (1991, Jim Jarmusch)Arguably Jim Jarmusch’s best film. Incl. Young Wynona Ryder. 5 cab drivers, 5 cities, 5 stories
dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Night_on_Earth....
qoute:
Mika: You called a taxi?
Man: No, we called a garbage truck. But you'll have to do the job.

2. Lunchbox (2013, Ritesh Batra) India has to offer far more than Bollywood!!
dosmovies.com/watch_movie/The_Lunchbox....
irresistably romantic
quote: "When my wife died, she got a horizontal burial cot... I tried to buy a burial cot for myself the other day, and what they offered me was a vertical one... I've spent my whole life standing in trains and buses... now I'll even have to stand when I'm dead! "

3. The celebration (1998, Danish filmmaker Thomas Vinterberg)
Read more

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)

@Adrian∞ Again there's some here we've both seen, yet all are very worthy additions, Sweet!

I was thinkin about Lori Petty and Tank Girl just the other day, def an off the wall kinda flick :>)

+2

senior master
Report comment
(4y)

I have a big collection of videos but I don't have time and account to upload. The categories and subcategories I use in my Hard Drives are :
1)Drama-Social
2)Comedy-Romance
3)A ction-Adventure
4)Documentary
5)Animat ion
6)Sci-Fi
7)Music (includes concerts, musicals, biographies of musicians or movies like whiplash for example)
8)Oldies (subcatgs Western, Drama-Social, Historical,Comedy-Romance)

I used to have a separate category for movies, let's say Braveheart, the Gladiator, etc, Now they are both in the Social-Drama category of mine. An old epic (Charlton Heston thing) would go now in my Oldies/History

+1

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@Nasos Had to break mine out into lotsa categories too or I'd never be able to find anything.

Currently there's about 9k moovies in 24 folders strung across about 10TBs of HD space, not counting the music files.

Music Collection gets subdivided again into Converted .flac and .ogg files (where I keep .mp3 conversions), Music Files, Music DVDs (concerts and music history) and then Music Videos.

With nearly 3TBs of music files the collection is also backed up on another HD for safety.

Then the whole shebang is also backed up in another computer that just sits dormant w/16TBs of HDs in it.

Did I mention I LOVE computers ? 'Course that's a lil easier when you build your own :>)

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 9k movies? and i thought I was mad. haha wow. Love computers a lot too. A thread on how our racks look including monitor arrangement could be interesting
CHEERS!

+4

Report comment
(4y)

@Adrian∞ The music collection, though it dudn take up as much space is where diversity really takes place.

Over 10k music vids, 700+ gigs of concerts and history, and a lil over 42k music files by over 1500 different artists.

Most of the music files are .flac files, which are huge as in one CD ripped in as .flac files can be as big as 1gig!

My systems aren't all that fancy, just air cooled and my main machine's a 10yr old i7 w/ lotsa RAM and 19TBs of HDs countin the 2 externals.

The monitor's just an old 50" 720 but I do my surfin sittin in a recliner w/a wireless keeboard and mouse, and this time of day ... There Will Be RUM!

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@Nasos Social drama involves jokes like: "I have the "Canadian Health Care Program".i wait for months,years,to get medical,and finally cross the border into Bellingham,WA,USA,and pay cash to see a doctor."

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@clarachan1355 hahahahaha

+1

master
Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56
Impressive! Now thats what I call true dedication,lol.
I use an 3 year old ASUS 17" Laptop and 3 monitors to it. Took me a while to get that done. I went to many "Pro" shops asking how i can connect a laptop with one HDMI out to multiple screens. "Only possible with gaming laptop and many micro display ports." i was told.
Of course it was possible; With a MATROX triple head external graphic card. (very cool machine) It basically tells the computer: "Hey, i am only one monitor" then splits up the input on up to three screens nearly without loss.
I dont collect movies or music a lot, but my 4 TB are mainly busied with my own graphics/clips/Datasets, I use whole ADOBE Creative Cloud a lot.
Thats what my kingdom looks like (at night smiley )

its 4.00 am now and will pour myself a last Rum/Pink Grapefruit. my current favourite.
smiley three cheers to YOU!

+4

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@Adrian∞ Another techy here I see :>)

Gettin a really late start myself since I was in my late 40s when I got my 1st 'puter, but I took to it like a duck to water!

Lotsa my car guy buddies are professional geeks so I got a serious leg up right from the git-go.

Traded a turbo install on a buddys car for my 1st computer and it was off to the races from there. Within another cuppla years I started buildin my own machines and have never looked back:>)

BTW, pink grapefruit juice? Man that turns my mouth inside out just thinkin about it :>P

But, to each their own and glad you enjoy it :>)

talkatchalater :>))))

Report comment
(4y)

@Adrian∞ Amazing!

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

this is kind of a wide open criteria once you dismiss the typical, cookie cutter studio movies. i hardly know where to begin smiley but i'll try:

This Boy's Life ~ dosmovies.com/watch_movie/This_Boys_Life....

My Own Private Idaho ~ dosmovies.com/watch_movie/My_Own_Private....

Mad Dog and Glory ~ dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Mad_Dog_and_Gl....

A Better Tomorrow ~ dosmovies.com/watch_movie/A_Better_Tomor....

A Simple Plan ~ dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Simple_Plan_A....

The Name of the Rose ~ dosmovies.com/watch_movie/The_Name_of_th....

Quest for Fire ~ dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Quest_For_Fire....

Hairspray (the original and best) ~ dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Hairspray_1988....

Let's Scare Jessica to Death ~ dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Lets_Scare_Jes....
Read more

+4

Hide 12 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd Dude! You stepped right into it, congrats!!

Having seen about 1/2 of those now I'm gonna hafta see some of the rest.

Thanks so much for addin to the localized insanity and please do add more later.

Damn, I wanna watch somethin and with all the choices above it's hard to know where to start.

Ya'll are AWESOME!!!!

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 lol stahpsmiley i tried not to go too old-school, but some films look more impressive for their time than others today.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd Hey man, old school, new school we all just wanna BE schoolled ... in some new off the wall style moovies, so it's all good :>)

Kick in some more later if somethin comes to mind.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd Great list uunboundd!
i love Hairspray and some others...but half of it just got on my to watch list! THX

+2

Report comment
(4y)
+1

Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd Wow, now there's one that jogs my memory from waaaay back in the early 70s.

I 1st saw this on the local PBS station late at night in about 71 or so.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 wow, the same year it was released to theaters. guess warner bros gave up after the low box office.
that reminds me of another fairly good sci-fi movie which actually aired on PBS first (around '80 or so):
The Lathe of Heaven - dosmovies.com/watch_movie/The_Lathe_of_H....

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd Oh man, do I ever have a strange story about seein "The Lathe of Heaven", which conceptually is such a unique departure in itself in the realm of Sci-Fi I fell in love with it instantly.

Couldn't tellya what year it was but I was sittin home one night and just happened to flip over to channel 13, the local PBS station to see what was on.

They were doin a fundraising drive and mentioned as a special treat they were about to air a brand new indie Sci-Fi movie that had been made here in Dallas called "The Lathe of Heaven" for the 1st time anywhere.

So what's a native Dallasite Sci-Fi fan to do but watch that for sure, right? :>)

Ok, so I did and was blown away by it, was tellin all my friends about it but no one could see it because it wasn't in theaters and it never made it to the VHS rental market at the time, so ...

Fast forward to the late 90s and I'm over at my GFs house one night and were bouncin around the channels lookin for something good to snuggle up on the couch and watch and flipped over to channel 13 again and again they're doin a fundraiser and then they announce that they're about to air the original "The Lathe of Heaven" for only the 2nd time it would ever be broadcast.
Read more

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 that's a cool story. its strange whenever something serendipitous like that happens smiley
i'm on the fence about the 2002 A&E remake, because they say it's nowhere near as good:

dosmovies.com/watch_movie/The_Lathe_Of_H....

i'll probably watch it anyway :>)

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd I actually bought the DVD of the remake and ripped it into my machines archives.

It's Ok, has much better special effects but seems to miss the mark in how it tells the same tale in a different way.

Now havin Lisa Bonet in it was a plus, though I still prefer the original.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 knock on wood they never remade this:

dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Angel_Heart....

Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd Oh yeah, that's an awesome flick!

With Mickey Rourke before he plastic surgeried his face into something unrecognizable, Lisa Bonet in the most sultry role I've ever seen her in and then DeNiro in his special role in this very twisted tale, that's a classic!

+1

master
Report comment
(4y)

ok, I have the problem that we have few "Asian ghost movies,and "Asian horror movies" especially with English subs--so Independent films are not the only films lacking availability.Anyone ever get a lead on any of those?I like Independent films myself.

+2

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@clarachan1355 hi clarachan!here some good asian horror flicks, hope its useful for you. Greetings from Germany!
The eye

Ringgu

Audition (NOT for the fainted of heart, REALLY)

Ju On (spookiest girl ever)

A tale of two sisters

Dark water

Cairo

Thirst

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@Adrian∞ Is Cairo on here? I couldn't find it, does it have a aka name?
Teeny💋

Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 Hey Teeny! It has been published as "Pulse". It has english subtitles
dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Pulse_2001....
Maaaaaaaaaaan i love the Khaleesi! lol. I hope the dragon has brought her to a healing wonder island and she will return in furious ANGER!

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@Adrian∞ Me too! I haven't watched the last 2 episodes yet 💋

guru
Report comment
(4y)

I hear ya loud n clear! The Japanese seem to have a firm grip on how to make some of the best horror movies out there!

"The Grudge" was a great example and if I'm not mistaken "The Ring" was also a Japanese movie remade for the American market and both of 'em are great!

I LOVE a great horror moovie, but so few really ever reach that level.

Got any recommendations?

Come on clara, I bet you do :>P

+1

senior guru
Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale Ju-On/The Grudge series

There are a few more Japanese movies in the series, I’m just posting a few.

Ju-on (2000) - dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Juon....

Ju-on: Grudge

Original- dosmovies.com/watch_movie/The_Grudge_200....

Remake - dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Grudge_The....

Ju-on 2

Original - dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Juon.... _2

Remake - dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Grudge_2_The....

American continuation from Grudge 2 - dosmovies.com/watch_movie/The_Grudge_3....

Ju-on Japanese reboot dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Juon.... _The_Beginning_of_the_End

Check out the rest here - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ju-On_(fra...

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale Thanks for those great links, looks like exactly what clara was lookin for.

Man, ya'll are all knockin it outta the park in this thread and it's so great to see.

Thanks to EVERYONE for joinin in the fun!

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale All great movies! Sundance use to have an Asian horror movie every Sunday at midnight. I saw so many great ones that way, I wish they still did that
💋

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 There's also some great horror that comes out of India and Pakistan too. I used to love getting in from work or a club at 2/3am to find a good Asian horror on the TV to watch in bed.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale That sounds nice! I miss the days of being out that late. If you know any titles go ahead and list them 💋

Hide 8 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 Nice additions to the list indeed, thanks!

Oh yeah "Wolf Creek" is a sure fire thriller and supposedly based on a true story and, the killer was never caught/found. There's even a Wolf Creek 2 if I'm not mistaken.

I know I've seen "The Bay", "Willow Creek", "Creep", "Trick R Treat" and "The Invitation" but the rest are welcome additions to my "soon to be watched" list:>)

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 There is a Wolf Creek 2 and also a series
dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Wolf_Creek_2/?....
dosmovies.com/watch_tv_show/Wolf_Creek/?....

They are just as great 💋💋

+2

Report comment
(4y)
+2

Report comment
(4y)

@xRimax I love the anthology films. Those 3 are on our go to list when we have nothing new to watch. Thanks for the suggestions though 💋

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 Watched all of them. Seems you got a thing for a horror movies.

You missed abc of death there.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@xRimax Yes I LOVE horror movies, I'm a total addict for horror. You've listed all great ones. 💋

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 Great. Me too! But lately not much horror movie has impressed me. They all seems like a thriller than horror to me. The last actual horror movie i watched was Inferno and Terrifier 2017.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@xRimax I know what you mean! I hope some good ones come out soon 💋

+1

master
Report comment
(4y)

absolutely AWESOME!
Thanks to this thread i am adequately supplied with movies for weeks! No more searching for a while. SOOO cool.

+5

senior master
Report comment
(4y)

It's great to see threads like this on here instead of all that blah zZZz blah.

Most of what I would have added is already here.

Thanks for sharing!

+1

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@3UN01A Seems like everyone's having a good time here and really gettin into sharing their "off the wall" favorites, which is great to see!

If anything comes to mind later that you don't see listed be sure to share it here :>)

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 I will try to add some this weekend as I been so busy during the week and with 2 long weekends that passed ... just an FYI that I am blocked by a member(s) for some odd reason and I see a lot of posts showing this:

"Comment is hidden, because you were blocked by this user. Read more..."

so forgive me ahead of time if I end up posting films that have already been added.

I am a huge film fan especially of the horror genre and these forum threads are by far, my favourite. I've opened many when I joined - nice to see this is poppin' as it should on a film/series site.

Until then - Cheers!

Report comment
(4y)

@3UN01A Busy, busy, busy, I know the feeling!

My partner and I are closing down our shop and moving and that's waaaay more than I wanna do, but ...

Please do add what you like, that's what keeps things goin here :>)

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 A word to the wise about the member GODDESS (above comment).

I was so shocked to read the comment that I felt compelled to respond and as I cannot respond directly to the member concerned, I will write as close to the comment as I can.

I found this comment insulting and as usual a puffed up soliloquy of the member's own self importance. The sheer brazenness, gall, audacity, impertinence, shamelessness, effrontery and downright insolence of the superficial, holier-than-thou member is breathtakingly and astonishingly distasteful.

A goddess, is she calling herself? I beg to differ.

Maybe a victim playing harlequin spouting words of false welcoming to the uninitiated, but to the more experienced members who have their memory faculties in working order, WE remember and know very well why the contributors on this thread have blocked her.

GOD/GODDESS is a term used on the site to show the effort some members have taken in making this place the fantastic site we all know and love. It is not an appropriate “nickname” as it suggests a lack of respect towards the administration who initiated the levels of seniority and towards the members who have reached this level.
Read more

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

I don't think anyone has mentioned this indie horror from 2014

It Follows - dosmovies.com/watch_movie/It_Follows_....

Its overall ratings on imdb have dipped over the years, but it was a bit hit soon after release. I enjoyed it.

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale It follows is weirdly great film. Definitely worth a watch.

Hide 9 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 You just posted my all time favs horror movies. Terrifier is awesome. All out slasher. Not much people talks about it. The loved ones is something. Babadooks is just awesome. We are still here low budget but still did an awesome job. All the movies in this list are awesome. If you like horror movies you really should watch these and what she posted above and before.

Do you have any suggestion for horror series? I watched the haunting hill house, chambers, etc.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@xRimax I love the terrifier, that is the scariest clown ever! Let me think on the horror series and I will get back to you on that 💋💋

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 I think clowns from your earlier list a movie called 31 i think are really scary. Also there was a movie called clown(2013) that was sorta scary. But yeah terrifier's clown is scary for sure.

There is a movie called leather face. I watched it in 2017. It was decent as well.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@xRimax This one just got added, I'm watching it tonight. The trailer looked good
dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Polaroid/?ref=....
💋

Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 Yes, i have watched it. I have also left a comment there. It came out like 3 years later. It was good.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 Holy cow, MORE great additions for my list!

Ya'll are the best!

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 I love to turn people on to great Horrors. You should be busy with this page of movies 💋💋

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 Watched "The Babadooks" last night and my, my, what a great horror movie that was, thanks!

Horror movies tend to go for the slasher end of things for the most part so it was great to see one where plot development was more important.

The film starts with a foreboding that just keeps building in intensity and it's easy to identify with the mothers level of palpable frustration just steadily rising.

Thanks again for the add to the list!!

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 That little boy has got to be really annoying or he's a damn good actor. I know I felt the mother's frustration in that film! I'm really glad you enjoyed it 💋

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@xRimax Again, looks like we share very similar tastes in Sci-Fi too. I've seen all but 2 of those but I bet there's ones others haven't or might have thought about watching and now with your encouragement, they just might!

Nice :>)

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 They are all great movies.

I missed a classic - dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Contact....

You should definitely watch it if you have not.

Report comment
(4y)

@xRimax Oh absofrigginlutely "Contact" is an awesome moovie and a great addition here!

+1

God
Report comment
(4y)

Amazing film I watched just last night, Dead man's shoes
dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Dead_Mans_Shoe....

Do not miss this film
Teeny💋

+3

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 Wow I may hafta go into complete retirement just so I can find enough time to watch all these great moovies:>)

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 I don't think i have watched it. It's from 04 i see. i was in school back then. Wasn't watching much of anything back then, maybe only in breaks. I will watch it and let you know my thoughts. I'm sure it's going to be great. You have a great taste.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@xRimax Thank you and so do you
💋

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

If you want something different then Cheap thrill is a great movie for you
dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Cheap_Thrills....

It's a dark comedy movie. Not much people talks about it. It's good.

guru
Report comment
(4y)

Here's a few more to add to our list:

Dot The I
Ink
Cold Skin
Head
The Lover
Suspect Zero
Radius
The Holy Mountain
Mother!
End of Days, Inc.
Seven Splinters in Time
Maniacts
Snatch
Sonny
The Last Man
Dune

+1

senior master
Report comment
(4y)

Congrats Kim on the most interesting, informative and participative thread on mooovies in a very long time. This is a mine of nuggets that will keep me going for ages.

Thanks to all the contributers - this is what it is all about.

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)

@..box.. Thanks so much for your kind words, but truth be told all I contributed was the idea and a few personal recommendations.

The great folks here in contributing their own ideas and recommendations are the ones who need congratulations for all their participation.

And for that I would like to extend a big thanks to everyone who's joined in the fun.

I dare say this thread is not yet finished either as more cool movies just keep being added ;>)

+1

guru
Report comment
(4y)

Just a teaser but last night I went diggin through my files and came up with over 60 moovies to add to the list!

Unfortunately I actually have some work to get done on my wheeled toy out in the shop so I'll hafta get it posted later.

However, here's just a taste to add to the tease:

Chrystal - Billy Bob Thornton at his finest

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - twisted tale of southern intrigue and decadence

The Mothman Prophecies - Richard Gere in a very off beat type of role for him

Prophecy - Christopher Walken exhibiting the strangeness he's so well known for

1408 - John Cusack explores the mystery around a creepy hotel room

Natural Born Killers - Juliette Lewis and Woody Harrelson at their best

Red Dragon - Top notch cast and a story that will rock you back on your heels

+1

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 I believe i have watched them all. Any other movie suggestions?

+1

Report comment
(4y)
(edited)

@xRimax Sorry for the delay in gettin back to ya but yeah, I have 30-40 more picked outta my collection but will need a lil time to get the links to 'em.

It's crazy time here as we're closing our shop and relocating and pandemonium dudn begin to describe things here at the moment!

When I get a lil time I'll get it all together and post it here.

Again, sorry for the long pause in gettin back to ya.

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 Okay, no worries. Take your time. Send them when you have the time. :)

Report comment
(4y)

@xRimax And, there's still another 28 in my list that I've yet to have gotten links to yet so lemmekno when you're ready for MORE smiley

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

Okay, thank you very much. I have seen only a few of these. I am gonna start downloading the rest now. Really appreciate it. :)

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@xRimax Just came across a new one from Netfix called

Mute www.twomovies.xyz/watch_movie/Mu...

Quite an interesting watch.

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 Yep, watched this one.

guru
Report comment
(4y)
(edited)

Thought about this one this last weekend. This is a favorite of mine and the very 1st movie I ever saw Jason Patrick in and indeed he shines in this one.

When you add in a slinky, twisted performance by Rachael Ward as Fay and a particularly creepy performance from Bruce Dern as Uncle Bud, all in all it's a sweet eclectic movie.

After Dark My Sweet www.twomovies.xyz/watch_movie/Af...

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,645 reviews • 122,377 films • 18,475 TV series