This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,737 reviews
122,398 films • 18,478 TV series

How Do YOU Say It or What Do YOU Call It? (1454 views, 10 replies)

This topic has been closed.

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

I’m Canadian, and while we are often teased about the way we are known to commonly pronounce certain words, I was married to someone from NJ who doesn’t sound like he’s from NJ, and he mostly sounds just like me with the exception of a few words, and then I was involved with someone else from NJ, who to me, had a distinctive Philly accent, which kind of got on my nerves, I must admit, but there were some words that he pronounced differently than I do, and it wasn’t due to an accent. I don’t say “aboot”, although I think I do say “sorry” the same as everyone else here, which I know is quite tease-worthy. I am from BC, and we don’t really sound like people from Ontario or the Maritimes here, especially on the coast. But there are some words that I say a certain way that I often don’t even realize are pronounced differently by some other people. And there are some words that are just not used here really, like, ever. I am just curious. This might not makes sense or work if you are from the areas where you have a particularly regional drawl. This isn’t to make fun of anyone. We can’t hear each other on here, and I’m a very auditory and tactile person, so I try to hear your voices when I’m reading your posts.😊
Read more

+2

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

1 - ProGject

2 - PROgress

3 - Roooof

4 - TORNament

5 - ForeEd (I drop my H's)

6 - Root (router would be ROOTer)

7 - Vase would be vaRZe - Rhyhms with Mars

8 - Neesh

9 - ENvelope

10 - SEMee

11 - A woman's bag is called a 'handbag' here in the UK. A purse is something we keep credit cards and money in, and that goes inside our handbag.

12 - Ice-pop or Ice-lolly.

I'm from London and my accent makes it difficult to distinguish between words like Wool and Wall
Ball and Bull
Fall and Full

My husband, kids and their friends have hours of amusement making fun of me - and they're full/part Scottish ffs! lol

+2

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale Thank you. I love English accents and I like to try to see if I can come close to guessing the area someone is from there. I have trouble with some, but I can tell Northern vs Southern and often can tell NW vs NE, but recently someone was from Leeds and I was waffling between York and Manchester, lol...kind of right between them. She was pretty happy with my guess after some other dimwit thought she was Dutch! But these are mostly Americanisms. They sound like us in Canada, pretty much, and then they say one or two words really differently, and that has always both puzzled and fascinated me. 😊

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@ditzygypsy British accents can be tough to pinpoint if you're not a native. Accents can change dramatically in as little as a couple of miles - Leeds is just 40 miles from the center of Manchester. And Manchester only 30 miles from the center of Liverpool - and all have extremely different accents.

You're doing very well just to be able to tell the difference between Northerners and Southerners to be honest.

I've heard plenty of Americans call people with a strong Northern accent Irish or Scottish, and very few of them can spot a Welsh accent, lol.

I'm a Londoner living in the North. Have been here more than 20 years and I still haven't lost any my 'cockney' accent.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale the" Oregon twang" probably has that from southerners who moved here,& everyone loves Country-Western music.--not me.I say ROOT for route.ENvelope.TORN- a ment.CON-creete. VAYY-se.I also lived in California for years working,i heard Spanish a lot,but it was like a mixed-bag. OH, "BLACK ACCENTS" are all over San Francisco, or were.EVERYONE used "f**k" as if it were "gosh".it no longer really meant f**k.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@clarachan1355 Yes. It’s a multipurpose word now and just a verbal crutch that I admit to resorting to sometimes. My ex husband laughed at me the first time he heard me say Maryland. I said “Mary Land”, lol. I’m only first generation Canadian on my mother’s side as she was born in Austria and emigrated to Canada when she was 2 years old, but her mother was Ukrainian, so I just said it like she does. I try to say the names of places the way the people from the places say them if it’s not an accent issue. He still laughs at my “sorry” and I still laugh when he says “tunafish” for canned tuna. He doesn’t say “salmonfish” for canned salmon, so I’ve never understood that one, either.😊

master
Report comment
(4y)

MOSS-COW?? HAH HAH. I like Albert Finney's accent.Sorry you Brits have to hear RUSH-IN.(for Russian )I can't get out the many ways we kill the language--remember "Americans haven't used it for years!"IT COMPLETELY DISAPPEARS. smiley

master
Report comment
(4y)

Hey I talk like you ditzy! I have a very hard time understanding any movie that is Irish. My ears go what all the time. I have to listen so carefully I get a headache.

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,737 reviews • 122,398 films • 18,478 TV series