This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,864 reviews
122,457 films • 18,488 TV series

Do you have Native American DNA? (1272 views, 71 replies)

This topic has been closed.

God
Report comment
(5y)

Do you KNOW who your ancestors are?

+2

Hide 31 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe I had a relative on the Mayflower. I know the names of my ancestors at Bunker Hill and I can tell by how I look that I have more Native American in me than Elizabeth Warren

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@BrunoAxemaker Everyone in America has more than Elizabeth Warren. Her statement bis like saying she has DNA from homo erectus!

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe No, most people in the US don't have native american DNA.

Report comment
(5y)

@Xanthe199 Most white people do.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Xanthe199 The White American average genetic makeup is 98.6% European, 0.19% African, and 0.18% Native American.

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe You have absolutely no understanding of stats or science. You are confusing heredity with heritability .

www.quora.com/Why-do-so-many-Ame...
"Of course, you have to consider that the level of admixture or rate cited above is based on averages. That extremely low percentage doesn't represent a default level of Native admixture for White and Black Americans, but rather a small cluster pattern that then shows up a very low rates for the entire population. Most Americans have no appreciable Native ancestry at all."

geneticliteracyproject.org/2018/...
"It should be noted that these are averages across populations that say nothing about any individual. Any one person could have significant amounts of ancestral DNA from other populations, including ones not captured in these statistics. And increased marriage among ethnic and racial populations will change these numbers over time."
Read more

Report comment
(5y)

@sillyhaha ...OK.

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe So, in a nutshell:

"That extremely low percentage DOESN'T represent a default level of Native admixture for White and Black Americans, but rather a small cluster pattern that then shows up a very low rates for the entire population. MOST AMERICANS have NO appreciable Native ancestry at all." (from 2nd link above)

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe "Heritability often comes up in discussions of the nature-nuture question. Heritability is often MISINTERPRETED as describing how much heredity contributes to some trait that an individual shows. This is WRONG! A more accurate, but simplified, definition is this:

Heritability is the proportion of this total variation between individuals in a given population due to genetic variation. This number can range from 0 (no genetic contribution) to 1 (all differences on a trait reflect genetic variation).
Two important points follow from this definition:

1. The number does NOT apply to individuals -- only to variations within a GROUP (or POPULATION).

2. The number is NOT fixed. Differences among groups in range of genetic variation and/or environmental variation will result in different estimates of heritability."

indiana.edu/~p1013447/dictionary/...
Read more

Report comment
(5y)

@sillyhaha Since everyone in America has NOT had a DNA test, I will stick with the stats. When everyone HAS been tested, then you can talk specifics. LOL!.. You have turned a stat into a never ending study.

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe Again, you demonstrate your ignorance.

You claim that until every American is tested, we can't be specific. That negates YOUR ENTIRE USE of stats!

Thank you for admitting that your stat is crap.

Posted this morning:

"Not so. Remember we said that the Bustamante study said she had 10 times more than the individuals from Utah? That’s the relevant statistic, indicating that her claim to some Native American heritage IS MUCH STRONGER THAN MOST EUROPEAN AMERICANS."

www.msn.com/en-us/news/factcheck...

Report comment
(5y)

@sillyhaha Sillyhaha is an excellent name for you. I said that we can't be specific. I did not say that we could not generalize. Accept your own ignorance, instead of attacking me for some imagined, or deserrved slight. Agression is your agenda...and everyone can see it.

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe I'm neither slighted or aggressive. You began an interestingly discussion. Obviously, you want only those who agree with you to respond.

Rather than address the content of my responses, you deflect. You have nothing to back up your argument .

First you state "The White American average genetic makeup is 98.6% European, 0.19% African, and 0.18% Native American.". Then you state "we can't be specific".

Do you see the incongruence in your comments?

Report comment
(5y)

@sillyhaha Those are the statistics given by the website Quora.com. I don't have the manpower to assemble those statistics. I suggest you take it up with them.

Report comment
(5y)

@BrunoAxemaker wow, i salute you!!my dad's family came from Switzerland around the American Revolution,and helped guard Washington(so they said)and came to Pennsylvania to become "The Pennsylvania Dutch"(meaning "German")My grandma was related to President Adams'and the other Adams also.I could have joined the DAR!! HAH HAH :)

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe I have 3% North African DNA on one side and I’m betting I have something even more like that on my other side, but we haven’t got the results yet.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@ditzygypsy Then you have a lot more than Warren. After YEARS of waffling...she says that she may have a TENDENCY towrds "nattive American blood" That's not the way DNA works. You have a percentage, or you don't.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe Yeah I get that, and i don’t feel this has helped her. But, I think if it was 1918, and she just had paper certificates, pedigrees, etc., and a paper Family Tree, she’d have fared better just showing the generations with no actual math or chemistry, but I also think if she was trying to prove that she is “pure” white (it makes me ill to even write that) that her tiny amount of non-white heritage would be attacked by people who would choose to see her as not “one of them”. I think it can depend which fight you think you’re trying to win. I’m not sure if my typing is making the sense it makes in my head today :).

Report comment
(5y)

@ditzygypsy LOL! I don't know why it has to be a fight! I personally don't care what my nationality is. If anyone does, they should be able to back up their claims. I wouldn't care if she was a full blooded indigenous person...I stiil wouldn't like her! I'm just not fond of Liberals. No borders...etc.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe I don’t personally think it has to be a fight; however, it is a fight for the million dollar donation and whatever else they’ve got going on, lol. I’d forgo the donation for some of his sexy tax returns...just kidding, accounting is such a snore, and even though I worked for a few accountants in my life, I wouldn’t be able to understand one thing if I saw his tax returns, but I’m sure there are many who can. I am not fond of heartless people on either side of politics. It’s the person and their platform, not their slant or party that I really care about. I’m not a fan of malignant mendacious behaviour no matter who it is. It’s hard to find any good hearted person in politics because they usually get ousted by the slimeballs.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@ditzygypsy That is true!

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe we knew a guy who had at least a 4th (quarter)American Indian--he was supposed to maybe get "reparation" $$$$$$.BUT HE DROVE HIS CAR.RACING LIKE A WILD MANIAC,on freeways,roads,as if it were the Indy 500!!He got very WILD!REALLY OUTTA CONTROL,WILD!!we figured it might be the Indian part,very firey.--wild and insane.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 I used to drive that way. I'm not much indian...just crazy! LOL!

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe So, Bondojoe, did you find out anything about your families of long ago?Or do you want to?

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 Mostly scandinavian..Scottish, a little irish, and a scent of native Anerican, like most people in America. They gave me a list of people that I was related to, that I had never heard of. I looked some of them up on the internet. Some have acheived some good things. I guess that I am the underachiever! LOL! I have not been in contact with any of them.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe Elizabeth Warren does and now Trump has to pay out 1 million dollars. Probably out of one f his 'charity' accounts'.

Report comment
(5y)

@Xanthe199 Warren does NOT! LOL!

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@ditzygypsy North African? Do any characteristics ever show up?that's interesting.

Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 Yep. On my dad’s side. My aunt always wondered why she has quite dark skin, so perhaps that is why. I am the only redhead anywhere on both sides of my family in any generation that we have written and photo history of, other than my son now, who’s dad is Irish (American). My mom is Ukrainian from her mom and also darker skinned like my brother (who has one brown and one blue eye, lol), so I am dying to test my mom. But I think I will find more than Ukrainian when I test my mother. Her mom was from Odessa and very dark skinned and we don’t go grey on that side of the family, so I still haven’t ever dyed my hair. Oddly, I don’t really burn in the sun and I am and have always been a redhead -much to my chagrin as a kid-, so I always wondered why I can take the sun quite well. I find family history absolutely fascinating.

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe Hey Joe read this post and my respond and add anything I missed :D That goes for anyone whether you agree or not with me ;)

Donald Trump is indisputably the worst president in American history

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@manditoe I think you did a good job, but I think Bruno was right about this..." BrunoAxemaker (22 hours ago)
Too bad this is just a blog. Easy to put together on WordPress. USNews has been around much longer and is much more respected.

+1

God
Report comment
(5y)

I do have Native American ancestry and one of my great grandmothers was full blooded Cherokee.

+1

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@FemaleLotRfan83 That's a lot! I did the ancestry thing, And I think it said 3% N.A. Not much, but one of my grandmothers looked just like a Native American. It said I was mostly scandinavian...and the rest Scottish, and Irish. which really surprised me. I never heard of ANY Scandinavians in my family.

Report comment
(5y)

@FemaleLotRfan83 Well, I am impressed.Does anyone know WHERE the origins of the Native American came from,originally?Sure you do(i guess)

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@FemaleLotRfan83 Me too. My Great Grandmother was one of 300 that stayed in the Blue Ridge Mountains instead of going to the Oklahoma Territory. So she did not die in the Trail of Tears. The movie Far and Away is about the government giving away the land left for the Cherokees unclaimed. So they sign a paper and pay $5. Hence the "$5 Indian" jibe. As far as the origins, I've always heard they crossed the Bering Strait during the Ice Age, the Mongols from China. I have almond shaped eyes as did my mother and my fingernails are translucent when held up to the light. So I am sorta... Chinese.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@ginger666 yes, you got the origin, correct!interesting isn't it?

+1

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

I would rather use indigenous in this situation bc most people don't know what mulatto means. Everyone born in America is 'native' ...hence the % of bloodline. Some people don't quite understand there were people called 'copper colored' or red. 10/10 of 'native american' folks are also Asian. Js

+2

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Onable Good point.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Onable "Copper" color?Actually red?Very interesting.Sounds beautiful.I heard some Indian stories of nature,and I think some of the Gods.I'd like to find some again.I thought "mulatto" meant white person mixed with black.Not??(???)

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 Yep, if we mix the two crayons we get grey, but by appropriating race we're led to believe the 2 colors are a 'new' race. This world is really f'd up

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

I never was able to meet her, she passed away when my dad was only 2-3 years old, but my dad's mother was full Quapaw Native American. I'd love to have a DNA study done. That's cool that you did Bondojoe.

+1

Hide 6 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@StarKissed Well...i was just curious where my tendencies come from. Chaseyourself says I'm Scottish..LOL! You should get it done...it's only about 80$ American.

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe I'm a big tightwad, where did you get your's done for around $80? genealogy.com I believe is $99.

Report comment
(5y)

@StarKissed Ancestry.com Just checked...69$ US

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe Oh wow, that's awesome, thank you!

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@StarKissed I hope it works out good, and you find out all kinds of interesting stuff!

Report comment
(5y)

@StarKissed SEE MINE BELOW--i did quite a bit tracing without expensive ancestry.com.I didn't have the $300. either--i suggest, don't spend a ton of $$$$$, trace it every which way,it does work.--family name,state,county,religion,origin of nation you had come from, ect. ect. (there was a large Jewish cemetary records site.)i was surprised i found a lot about each family.

I am related to Harriet Beecher Stowe who wrote "Uncle Tom's Cabin."AND my mom'
s side was in the Civil War!! I noticed both families like to be in WARS.(???)HAH

guru
Report comment
(5y)

My older brother traced ours back about 600 years. Pretty sure no native Americans.

+1

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Egor17 600 years, wow!!

Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 UMM...600 YEARS?Is it from Scotland?(I thought you said.)The history of Scotland is quite fascinating--Weren't there Scottish kings?--and war to see who's rule took Scotland?I remember the "Stewarts" were a royal name--now i'm really curious.

+1

God
Report comment
(5y)
+2

Hide 7 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 GREAT video. It will be ny standard answer to all Warren supporters.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 she is cute smiley

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@Флеркен You want her to share some of your Toblerone with you, you do don't you lol.

I do like her vids, she is funny.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 Yes, why not smiley

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 We don't have Toblerone in America. I had to look it up. Thought you were suggesting something physical!

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe They do come in different sizes lol.

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 Isn't "Toblerone" a chocolate candy? they have that in America,I saw it sold here.

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Ancestry.com has a 30% off offer right now, $70 for a test that gives a lot of locale specific data. I gave my daughter one for her wedding present. I would highly recommend taking one before making any kind of claims. I know a lot of people who thought they had NA blood, but didn't. There were a lot of whites claiming NA blood during the recording of the Daws Rolls, just to get land or money.

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@SoylentBrown I had one at Ancestry .com about two years ago.

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Nice! I wish everyone could afford to.

master
Report comment
(5y)

YES, IT costs a lot of money.I did find a "Swiss relatives" site in English and emailed to someone there who has my last name in his family history(even cousins married each other.)it was a free site.I suggest, there are sites for particular nations' citizens,and you can trace your family name.---oh, and we googled our last family name, and there was a site for that name,and a similar family, too ,and I found my dad's dad and mom on it.that was pretty good! smiley

AND, i got on the computer while my mom was still alive and we looked up the COUNTY THEY LIVED IN,and the state,and we got the county's records.--they had a whole historical site for all the people who had lived there' my mom found her uncle.She was amazed.It was a farming part of Iowa.--Everyone was in the past,and long dead,but they were still accounted for.It made my mom sad,but I was trying to find her old relatives.

It is sad to trace families a long way sometimes.--I realize that now that I AM OLD.It reminds me of that tv serial"Six Feet Under" about the family's mortuary,in their huge house.--the main characters had one adult role, got brain problems,and very unexpectantly died from it--right while his wife was pregnant. ...
Read more

+1

master
Report comment
(5y)

The really wierd thing was;there were books describing what President Adams was like,his personality,how smart he was,ect. ect.--that he was really brilliant,and a trouble maker==a real spark plug.--and it really narrowed down his personality.(That was on my dad's side.)_and I thought about it,and came up with smiley ,"Shit, he sounds like my DAD!!THEY SOUND SO MUCH ALIKE!!"It was just too much of coincidence .That whole personality,and mental bent,and so many peculiar things.--they sounded so SIMILAR. IT IS TRUE,people's personalites are often found to be inherited too.--I was really astonished. smiley

+1

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

I know my ancestors were Huguenots kicked out of France by the Catholics in the late 1600s. Whether they intermarried...quien sabe?

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

I have about as much as Elizabeth Warren... so no, no I don't.

+1

senior guru

Being English I assume I don't. I know that my grandmothers were Irish gypsy (Mums side) and Scottish Jewish (dads).
Which makes me a mongrel with great hair and a foul temper.
I'm told that physically I resemble Irish Nan the most, I have no idea what she looked like when she was younger & she died when I was 18. But my Dad always said that I had many personality traits that reminded him of his mother - I hardly recall her at all as she died when I was very young.
There is cousin on Dad's side who has made a website entirely dedicated to the family tree - and it goes back as far as the 1300's on some 'branches'.
Did find out that I am distantly related to two fairly famous UK actors who share the surname.

+2

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ I bet a lot of us had ancestors that looked and acted just like us. Poor people!

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe haH--ally surprisedMUCH for the shrink's "your personality is unique and you can change it!!""--even the bad stuff.I found out,by looking at relatives's lives,a lot,if I was in their position, i would very likely do the same thing--or feel the same way.--that really surprised me.

+1

expert
Report comment
CQ
(5y)

11/16ths

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@CQ That's a LOT!

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,864 reviews • 122,457 films • 18,488 TV series