This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,756 reviews
122,412 films • 18,479 TV series

DO YOU blend your favourite colour into your home... how? (1097 views, 47 replies)

This topic has been closed.

God
Report comment
(4y)

Do you blend your favourite colour into your home? What lengths do you go to, whether you recognize it outright or see it in retrospect?

I LOVE royal purple.

I have to be really careful because I can fall for absolutely ugly and sh*te things just because they are the colour that makes me excited!

My hair has purple (I'm very pleased to say) and my home is done in natural colours which includes greens, purples and oranges.

+6

senior master
Report comment
(4y)

I got a friend, dentist, that she likes purple a lot and thus her office is decorated. This colour somehow reminds me of hippies and rockers from the woodstock era. In the orthodox christian church is also used, as they say it has something to do with the "soul looking towards the sky above". I personally have royal purple curtains in my bedroom (mom's present) and I bought bed sheets and covers in the same colour. I haven't noticed some effect on me that I can describe. I think I accept it as something that doesn't irritate me and is pleasant to live with.

+4

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)

@Nasos --loves purple, used to wear it.Hippies at least prob stimulated Ives St.Laurent (I think it was)to do "rich hippie."(or Indian.)I loved wearing satin during the 70's.

+2

senior guru

Purple is my favourite colour too (also have purple hair... and lots of clothes).
My house was a riot of colour once upon a time, when I first lived here I did a paint effect on the living room walls that was dark orange, red & purple, the hallway was turquoise & pale purple and the kitchen was bright orange and dark blue. I liked things to CLASH.
My bedroom - wherever I have lived - has always been purple.
I also like to have colour on the ceilings and woodwork.

I suspect that some of this came from growing up in a house where ceilings were always white and walls were wood-chip paper (urghh) that if they had colour on them was always very pale.

Nowadays I prefer things a bit calmer, although I still have to have colour - living room has grey walls and woodwork to match, but the settee - that I covered myself - is teal velvet. Bedroom is a darker grey, but I papered one wall with some amazing purple and silver wallpaper, and the hallway is plain purple, but a dark shade that tones with the grey.
Read more

+4

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ WOW I LOVE IT!!! NO KIDDING!!!

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

Purple was always a royal colour, mostly due to the expenses of the dye. Queen Liz I actually banned anyone but other close royals from ever wearing it.

I'm a bit of a decoratholic. My husband weeps if I say something could do with a lick of paint, lol. He calls it 'mission creep', 'cause it usually involves me wanting to change accessories, curtains, blinds, lights, cushions, furniture floor, house...

We don't really have the space for ornaments or knick-knacks. Almost everywhere, walls 'n all, is taken up by instruments. And I don't like my work space cluttered.

I have a lot of cream, some chocolate brown swede effect walls, blood red sofa and red tartan curtains/cushions/rug combo at the moment. Bedroom is sage green and white. I've not long painted eldest spawns room grey after she got bored with teal.
I'm currently on the look out for an old bathroom suite - those disgusting avocado coloured ones.

I remember when Changing Rooms first started on UK TV and brought an end to woodchip and artex - replacing it with people doing weird paint effects with a wet sponge in vivid colours. ...
Read more

+4

Hide 3 replies...

@DemandingFemale Haha. Yup - see my post about previous colour schemes - changing rooms had a lot to answer for in my house. Coincidentally when I first moved in it actually did have an avocado green bathroom suite.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ I remember they brought out a weekly mag you'd collect to put in the folder that came free with issue 1 lol.

Report comment
(4y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ YOU COULD CHANGE IT TO LIME GREEN WITH PINK DETAILS?HAH

guru
Report comment
(4y)

My favorite color is a deep royal blue and although I did get some paint to do the front door in, well, it never quite made it there yet. I always have more ideas for things than those things actually gettin done. Minions, I need minions! lol

As for decorations my place is always well adorned with car parts. The fireplace mantle is end to end covered with a collection of parts for upcoming projects, personal works of metallic art or old parts I collect for various reasons with a few treasures of suitable oddity, usually gifts from friends or lil bits of strangeness I swooped up at a garage sale.

Other accoutrements consist of my computer systems (all personally built) w/deep blue accent lighting, the 50" monitor which hangs up near the ceiling over the stereo equipment which has a blue LED clock sitting on top and then speakers strung in every corner. The coffee table is where my collection of strange lighters reside, nestled between car mags and whatever else winds up there.
Read more

+3

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 Sounds like an episode of Hoarders waiting to happen, lol.

+4

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 CAR PARTS!!!do you happen to live in the South?I'm sorry, i apologize for that, its very "racist."

Report comment
(4y)

@clarachan1355 Nothin racist about that :>)

Last map I looked at they still show Texas as down south.

Bein a life long gear head, machinery mechanic and confirmed bachelor my decorating scheme's a lil different %>/

guru
Report comment
(4y)

I prefer to call it Auto-Audio-Techno styling smiley

And to borrow a line from William Hurt "I'm not into that completion thing." lol

+3

God
Report comment
(4y)

No, I don't.

Hide 3 replies...

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

I've live in an early Victorian house and they loved strong colours on the walls. So I'm happy to follow suit!

+3

Hide 6 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@fleafla Nice!

I've only been able to afford decorating one place in my whole life; my yoga studio. That alone cost me many thousands for the paint and many more for a professional painting.

I loved it. I got so many compliments on how people felt serene and yet energised and happy that I stopped counting.

It's not my taste they were actually complimenting; it's nature.

I'd love to see some pics of your home, if you are comfortable.

I bet it's spectacular.

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@ Oh how lovely to have a workplace with fabulous colours and nice to be making other people happy as well. Paint can be expensive, right? But it's so worth it.

I'm not really a 'nester' but boy, do I LOVE to paint my walls strong colours.

I tried to restrain myself for a few years, kept things neutral, but now I just look at my teal bedroom walls and smile. Brash blues. Hot reds. Great white or cream cornice, picture rails and skirting for that classic look.
I'll take a photo or two tomorrow- we're in the midst of a federal election here- we all voted today. Urgh. Politicians!

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@fleafla It was.

I miss that studio, but sadly I had to sell when I could no long make a living in this part of the world.

However, the studio sold very quickly simply because of the professional colour scheme and painting.

smiley

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@ smiley

+1

master

I really like dusty rose but I only really have accent pieces. The sofa has dusty rose cushions and the same with the bedroom. The pictures on all the walls have a hint of that colour and that's enough for me.

+2

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@𝓜𝓸𝓾𝓼𝓮*🐭 Nice!

It's a beautiful colour. I'm often attracted to it as well.

+1

@ Yep, if you look at my profile you can see I adore pink, the closest I could get is the pink gingham. :)

+1

master
Report comment
(4y)

I agree about the pink, although i love ALL BRIGHT COLORS,and I suspect i am a female who has that "sex-linked-eye-sensitivity" which is hard to test for.blue,green,browns are a great wardrobe combo for me.I LOVE DENIM--newish denim, not "scraped and ground."dark blues--i got skirts they go with everything---all my walls in liv room, where most living goes on is total white walls cause there is often fabric paint, fabric,sewing, knit(my knit teacher just died,boo hoo!!now gotta find new group!!)or drawing on the 'puter too--so I need all the light from white.--and that is the way it goes.WHITE IS LIGHT. smiley smiley smiley smiley

master
Report comment
(4y)

(You all probably know that "colors can affect things."Bright red or bright orange" turn the human male on, or cause him attraction.)

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@clarachan1355 good thing no one said "black is my fave color,i wear it all the time nothing else."Or you live in NYC. i think it can denote the person may be very depressed.--or suppressing a lotta anger.I just notice people like that,it used to be"the only fashionable color", glad that is not done so much now.

guru
Report comment
(4y)

One of the most amazing homes I've ever had the fortune to visit was one owned by a pair of lesbian interior decorators.

In every room they'd covered the walls w/different printed cloth making it both quite interesting as well as softening all sound within the house at the same time. It gave their home a very artistic flair and seemingly added a very casual comfort to it as well.

In Ft. Worth there used to be a smallish concert venue called Caravan of Dreams that seated maybe 250 and used suspended and draped quilts as the ceiling cover. It gave the place a very homey feel and dampened any harsh soundfields too which seemed perfect for a music venue.

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,756 reviews • 122,412 films • 18,479 TV series