This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,735 reviews
122,398 films • 18,478 TV series

do you ever have problems buying new things,(big and small)"they're not made like they used to be?? (924 views, 34 replies)

This topic has been closed.

master
Report comment
(5y)

I recently tried to buy a new STOVE--RANGE.EASY,RIGHT?i looked up all the consumers' real reviews of new stoves,"consumer reports"cheap,expensive,ect--TERRIBLE REVIEWS on GE-Whirlpool-(Frigidaire i know is evil)and I had so much trouble, smiley finding good reviews by consumers of new stoves.I had already bought a new fridge,several years ago,and it literally has fallen apart inside.like its made of cardboard!!the bins are like paper!!We glued the door seal back.--but some of the inside panels just MELTED. smiley smiley smiley smiley I have an old air-popper,must be 30 yrs old,motor still works--so i "tinfoiled-repaired"the top plastic part.the top barely works. ok, any advice?thank you!!

i DID GET MY OLD VERY GOOD SEWING MACHINE CLEANED,AND FIXED HERE,i FIGURE"TRY to GET THE OLD OVEN FIXED."the burners work ok.--just the oven no longer works(except for broil).but is solid as a rock.--not made out of "plastic-paper."or TIN.THE chassis is good.--(like you car-guys say.)HAS ANYONE ELSE fallen for "fake new stuff that falls apart"now?I would NOT ever buy a new Cuisinart,they make em all in China now!!! smiley

+2

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 I it sounds like your range is a gas model. If you have someone that is handy you can find parts for old appliances and repair them. I repaired my mom's Maytag washer (needed new control board) for less than $150. Repair man wanted $100 just to come to the house!
All the new appliances are manufactured using the idea of planned obsolescent design. This causes the consumer to replace the appliance to keep the profits rolling in. smiley

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@Stephen386 Stephen386, I might switch to gas stove,cause my HEAT is natural gas,& I have to find out if I can also get a GAS CONNECTiON for a stove.but it cost that little to put in?Where did you learn how to do it? Do the parts company tell you how to install it?It BROILS but can't bake any more.--maybe its the REGULATOR of the heat.You
think they tell me how to install?there are hotpoint parts store here.Wow,thanks,for the info.: )

Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 I have an electric range. I recently had to buy a new element for mine. It was simple plug in and secure the latches that hold it. Gas is a bit harder but everything is replaceable. You might just need to clean the holes in the flame burner. I do it with my gas grill. Instructions online.

admin
Report comment
(5y)

Because you need to buy a new iPhone every 2 years. That's how they calculate. Marketing.

+2

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil how about,"any better made equal to iphones"?Aren't blackberrys very professional?do they stay good?

master
Report comment
(5y)

Headphones break every few months. They're not supposed to be disposable so I go right back in the store, buy a pair, put the old ones in and return it. I'm not going to pay for it like toilet paper. Don't intentionally make products that wear out after normal use.

+1

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@BrunoAxemaker My headphones work 10+ years. They are expensive...

Report comment
(5y)

@BrunoAxemaker hmm--I know some people,get solid ones,and keep repairing them.true!!

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

Cars are pretty much all made out of plastic now a days. They say it lessens injuries on impact. I call bullsh*t. You don't see them making Tanks out of plastic and sending them off to war.

I miss the old muscle cars. I felt safe and if I had one today, I'd be the safest person on the roads. They'd all blow apart and I'd drive away without a scratch. smiley

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@michael59 maybe people do that to old cars,too,keep repairing em?

master

Okay it isn't something I buy personally, but the crap in the office I work at is garbage.... photocopier breaks down daily and I'm expected to fix the thing.... all plastic pieces and stuff that breaks so easily.... totally ridiculous since the Gov't pay huge dollars for it. No one else likes to get their hands dirty, I personally don't care.

The scanners have pieces that fall off on a regular basis, don't know how they charge the big dollars for such inferior sh*t.

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@𝓜𝓸𝓾𝓼𝓮*🐭 wow, so it does wreck the office too!Mouse,that sounds like Hell at work.

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

my modem/router stoped working smiley

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@frhjve🦈 can you just rent the modem and router from your ISP CO.??I have my Net,cable tv,and phone all together,so Comcast has to provide"boxes" & modem--if they break,they gotta replace em--works better in long run.

Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 Lol Comcast Xfinity here too. They suck and blow. I have the blast. I have att phones and Dish network TV. I do not believe in putting my eggs in one basket. I use to, woke up oneday and had no phone no tv and no internet. I split that sh*t up pronto. Power outage I will still have something.

guru
Report comment
(5y)

It's like today's T.V.'s. Back in the day when I played my video games & got pissed because I got killed or something, I'd sling my controller into the T.V. screen. Did the screen break? NO! Those old T.V.'s were built like tanks. The controller would just bump of that thick ass screen. Today's T.V.'s are made so flimsy, that all it takes is an ounce of pressure against the screen to totally f**k it up. Even tissue paper has gotten weak. I remember as a young lad blowing my nose and never having to worry about blowing a damn hole through the paper. Today, I blow my nose and get snot all over my hands. Hang on, my girlfriend just reminded me, those were handkerchiefs I use to blow my nose in. smiley Anyways the T.V. example still stands. smiley I've gone through 3 T.V.'s this past year. Do I have anger problems? Maybe, but I'm trying to make a point. smiley Cheers to all.

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@WEBHEAD🕸️ You forgot to mention the marks that mysteriously appear on the screen. You know, the ones that appear out of nowhere and won't wash off!!!!!

What the heck is up with that?

+1

master
Report comment
(5y)

No, you are just frustrated,Webhead,like me.I got so scared,at all the reviews of BAD RANGES AND STOVES,NEW,online,I freaked out,went back to Home Depot,and wanted all my new-stove payment back-before i got the stove- smiley ---I renigged,cuz i got cold feet. smiley --Near $600. bucks is a lot!!

Home Depot hates my guts,hah. smiley

I will ask a good appliance repair,here,if my old one can be fixed.If not,,look for older ones,that were made better,repaired for sale.I know what to look for now.--the sew machine was really successful,cleaned up, like new.--If you have a "solid chassis"maybe some older stuff can be repaired.I'm gonna try it.

Its not just the MONEY--(that's bad enuff)--its like huge corporations you are forced to buy from, have you screwed to death.The Corps. are UNTOUCHABLE!! YOU CAN'T GET TO THEM!!they're "protected"from angry consumers.--we can't even demand customer service!!

BUT--consider this--the new tariffs on imports into the USA,(maybe as much as 25 %)could make some companies BAD SALES,cause no one wants their sh*t any more.--so anything bad,imported,has even less chance of sales here.--Lots of junk sent over here,will fail in sales.Americans won't pay for em."Native companies"in America would gradually look more attractive--if they are better.
Read more

+1

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 I hope you can find something suitable. It is something that we all need and use on a daily basis.

There is a store here in Canada that I highly recommend to all my fellow Canadian members...

It's called Trail Appliances. They fix up older models and then resell them at a very reasonable price. They will even give you cash for your old broken appliance and haul it away.

Maybe you can find something like that store where you live?

Report comment
(5y)

@michael59 Thanks,michael59, yes,I did find out Hotpoint brands stoves,ranges got lots of good reviews on "Consumer Affairs"--they are reviewed to be sturdier,better made, for a budget stove.I have a Hotpoint electric its run forever,and I realize how dependable its been,for being so old.Consumer Affairs have reviews by consumers ,verified real people,about which brands are good,or bad, by people who have been using all the products.--It was VERY HELPFUL,I'd advise help from that site if you're going to buy something.:)

+1

God
Report comment
(5y)

I've got one positive comment DYSON.

They have never been surpassed in my opinion.

Hoovers were never this good.

Yes, they are a wee bit of an investment, but (for example) my Dyson is going to be collected, cleaned and repaired (if necessary), and returned to me from my house, by Dyson technicians, for one low price regardless of what needs to be done. Essentially it will be restored.

I've had mine for 9 years, and never a problems and it gets ALL the dirt and dust and hair and pollen.

They are easy to take apart, and easy to assemble. They do what they're meant to do!

They are MARVELOUS (I hate hoovering).

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@ I've seen the commercials for them. They do look like an excellent product.

When I looked at the prices on line though, I almost swallowed my own tongue. lol

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@michael59 You can find them for between 100-600 Euro. Believe me, they are worth it, I got mine when I met a lady who had one of the first showed me hers, and it worked better than a brand new Hoover. They are worth it.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@ I have an upright Hoover. Works great. I remember trying it at least once every couple of years. The rest of the time it sits gathering dust.

Report comment
(5y)

@Egor17 I use mine regularly. It hoovers up everything. They are amazing and don't mess around when it comes to getting the job done that they are meant to do. (I hate hoovering in general, so that's saying A LOT.)

guru
Report comment
(5y)

"Hoovers were never this good." Hoover is and a 'White goods manufacturer' like vacuum cleaners.And many other stuff. Dyson are new on the block, using heaps of plastic.

clarachan, Buying new stuff can be a stress, Took me 3+ years to pick a fridge. My old Kelvinator was 38 years old and getting noisy and made bangs like a gun.

Bought a new one online. Delivered and installed next day. Old Kelv went off with them to fridge/freezer heaven, Or got a new motor to run another 30+ years.

The new one has some sort of airflow system that uses less power to keep stuff cold. Glass shelves, and a body magnets stick to. I like it.

Yes "Made In China"

Do you think the Chinese are less proud of their stuff than manufacturers in your Country?

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Egor17 Egor17 thank you, it makes me feel better, thank you!L)

Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 Yes, I know a few people that bought a Dyson vacuum. They are very happy with it. But is it worth the cost to sit in my cupboard gathering dust the old fashioned way? Until it comes with a person to drive it. Oh. I think that's called slavery! Much cheaper just to hire a couple of carpet fitters to replace carpet every decade or so.
How far to go to avoid the noise of a vacuum cleaner!

Report comment
(5y)

@Egor17 Dyson has been around 27 years (1991) Considering in 9 years I've never had to replace a part, as everything can be cleaned and reused, I don't see the plastic as an issue. Plus, their filters are washable. All of their parts are also recyclable. I had a proper Hoover. It was a hot mess. And I mean that. It didn't hoover up 1/2 of what this one gets, had messy bags that couldn't be recycled and the whole machine (when dead) cannot be recycled. I believe in Dyson. I saved for this one and have never regretted it.

master
Report comment
(5y)

Well,I think they should not be proud of selling us shoddy goods.If they are going to lower their production standards so that every major product fails badly,,WHY ARE we letting them do all that manufacture?Supposedly they can handle the huge job,but it does not look that way now.
smiley
Every big American corporation is depending on cheap Asian factories to cost less,but,What if the consumer gets sick and tired,and wants something BETTER?--that is dependable and well made?I already know that older appliances and machines of all types,are being hoarded,used,and even upgraded to keep working--so those people. don't have to buy NEW junk. smiley

"Build a better mouse trap,and the world will beat a path to your door." smiley .

Even repaired,upgraded and fixed old products would help a lot of us now,if they did a good job.Maybe Americans need a swift kick in the pants,from bad products,to wake up & realize SOMEONE has to consider making BETTER PRODUCTS,or even "super-repaired products." smiley
Read more

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 OH NO, TOO MUCH WRITING AGAIN! I APOLOGIZE!

+1

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Na clarachan, you might waffel a bit, something that can't be cooked in a fan forced oven.
The problem with really well made stuff, It is expensive. Takes trades people that know what they are doing. Equipment made to do the job. (Tool Makers). And then basic materials like steel, carbon fiber ect.

I bought a kitchen top miniature fan forced oven. Bakes and roasts as well as the full sized one. Uses a quarter the power, being it's only heating a quarter the volume.

I had it posted to me, free of postage. And yes from China. The same thing from USA is way out side my price range. Good grief, the postage costs more than the item!

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,735 reviews • 122,398 films • 18,478 TV series