This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,738 reviews
122,398 films • 18,478 TV series

YouTube is testing blocking ad blockers (418 views, 22 replies)

God
Report comment
(11mo)

"A YouTube employee has since confirmed to the r/YouTube moderation team that, for now, this is just an “experiment.” For now, YouTube is only testing blocking ad blockers."
9to5google.com/2023/05/10/youtub...

As of today i'm getting short loading times & skip ads messages before i can view a vid, anyone else?

God
Report comment
(11mo)

Bad news for YouTube TV: Unskippable ads are coming
www.ghacks.net/2023/05/18/bad-ne...

May 18, 2023

"YouTube has announced its new "frustrating" feature for TV users. Soon, you will be forced to watch 30-second ads before you start a video. Besides, the company has also decided to show ads when a video is paused.

The company recently held an event named YouTube Brandcast for advertisers and brands. During the event, the video-streaming platform announced its new ad policy to bring 30-second unskippable videos for YouTube TV users."

+1

God
Report comment
(11mo)

Luckily I only watch YT videos on my PC. If the site wants to bring in more viewers then, fix the notification system and deal with the spam bots and trolls.

+3

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(11mo)

@FemaleLotRfan83 I think they are going to regret making all these changes as of late. I can't speak for others, but once I leave a site, I don't look back.

+4

Report comment
(11mo)

@FemaleLotRfan83 We left yootoob in the dust the day they were HIJACKED by goggle & certainly haven't looked back as we've found over 10 replacements for it: DailyMotion, MetaCafe, Vimeo, DTube, LBRY, PeerTube, Veoh, Twitch, TED, 9gag tv, Archive.org, etc.

[SPOILER] ...
Read more

+2

guru
Report comment
(11mo)

watch everyone head off to twitter then, i only watch youtube on laptop because the incessant ads are obnoxious and so disruptive.some ads actually just continue on and on until you manually skip them on mobile and tablet.
the site is so damn greedy, they make money on ads and then again on views. And no competition.

+2

senior guru
Report comment
(11mo)

Hi PureVodka thanks for the info
I've seen vids where every 5 or 10 minutes commercials 30 seconds etc that's why so many of us got ad block in the first place just imagine that on a 2 hour movie torture. Their gonna lose viewers and account holders plus all the stupid new restrictions like some news reporting account holders can't use the word rape etc wtf they've gone full SJW-tard

+5

senior guru
Report comment
(11mo)

I don't notice any difference. Everything looks the same to me. Can you send me a link and I will see if it makes any difference that way, please?

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(11mo)

@michael59 I'm guessing at the moment you don't see ads?

When i click on this youtu.be/2zkjQVh5KmQ it tries to load an ad, and then a few secs later i will get a " skip ad " message.

+1

Report comment
(11mo)

@PureVodka🍺 Hi, no I do not get ads unless they are inside the video and the op is telling me that for example they use a certain vpn, or manscape, or a spacific game is sponsoring today's video. That is when I just skip ahead.

+2

master
Report comment
(11mo)

I’m getting pop-up messages that for YouTube to work properly FROM NOW ON I need to clear my cache? Good golly how much elbow room do they need?

+1

senior master
Report comment
(11mo)

PV u use other than pc IOT devices? Smart TVs get detected and also the FW/SW of the smart TVs give some opportunities to youtube to act. Also the ISP offered services including youtube are in focus long time from the open community.

As always I'd recommend FOSS in IOT devices and knowledge of the OS from the users, otherwise everything is.... MRs Davis

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(11mo)

@Nasos yes in smart tv i heard complains from other ppl too

God
Report comment
(11mo)

For those that have been seeing ads on YouTube for awhile.

Video Ad Block Youtube
chrome.google.com/webstore/detai...

&

Adblock for Youtube™

I already posted about this last year, but for those that missed it.

Return YouTube Dislike

Works a treat.

+1

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(11mo)

@PureVodka🍺 cannot open that.

Report comment
(11mo)

@Steinkopff There is 3 links there, which ones?

Report comment
(11mo)

@PureVodka🍺 Any of them. Tried Safari and Firefox

guru
Report comment
(11mo)

I just today got ads. On my mac. That was the only device where no yt ads came thru- until now.
HATE IT
I stuck with them because I circumvented the ads, now they pass thru.

+1

senior master
Report comment
(11mo)

YT is okay on our PCs but has always been full of ads on the smart TVs so never used it.
I tried a Firestick on the TV which is ok if it is 'jailbroken' and cleared of Amazon cr@p, but it just updated itself and put it all back.

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(11mo)

What we need to do is somehow organize a world wide walk out. Everyone sign out of youtube at the same time, on the same day and stay signed out for 24 hours.

They would lose millions and they would learn how much of a good thing they had before they got greedy.

There are so many other platforms out there, youtube is just one of them.

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(11mo)

@michael59 All the censorship and banning of channels over the past few years would have cost YouTube (Google owned) billions of lost viewing hours. It is clear YouTube (like Google) puts big business before it's customers, i hope they go ahead with this and then more creators will join Rumble and Rumble does not shadow ban (YT shadow bans 30-50%) comments to get more viewing time instead of you reading them.

+1

God
Report comment
(11mo)

As of today, i'm no longer getting a slow loading vid (spinning circle for a few secs) when i click on external links or when i refresh the page on YouTube.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,738 reviews • 122,398 films • 18,478 TV series