This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,921 reviews
122,504 films • 18,490 TV series

Webdeveloper software (633 views, 10 replies)

This topic has been closed.

guru
Report comment
(6y)

I've started learning how to build webpages but Dreamweaver is terrible as it continually hangs, anyone know of a decent, free software which does a similar job (auto-completes/suggests code as you go) to dreamweaver that they would recommend to a beginner?

admin
Report comment
(6y)

Try Netbeans. netbeans.org/ <br> Are you learning php, javascript or html?

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(6y)

@Dr.Evil html to start, I already had a basis in it from when I used to have use my phone to post my writing online. <br> <br> and ty, I'll give that a shot. I've been using notepad++ too but it doesn't have the features of dreamweaver.

Report comment
(6y)

@Dr.Evil Netbeans looks pretty cool... might have a play with that :-)

+1

Report comment
(6y)

@gallanted It's really good. Does everything dreamweaver does but without the hanging issues and stupid popups every time you click something. <br> <br> @Dr.Evil thanks very mucho for the suggestion, just ran through three css sections on the course in no time at all using nb.

admin
Report comment
(6y)

Also you can try Sublime Text as simple editor.

guru
Report comment
(6y)

For years I've been using the freeware version of HTML-Kit which is an excellent piece of software, but it is source based so you would need to have a bit of coding knowledge to make the most of it. <br> <br> Page Breeze ( www.pagebreeze.com/ ) is a really easy to use freeware editor that has both WYSIWYG and source modes. It makes okay pages but they will be a bit bloated unless you learn how to incorporate CSS. into them. Good basic lessons in CSS can be found at www.csstutorial.net/.

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(6y)

@gallanted I've been going through the web design diploma on alison.com (which is free and well explained going from what I've done so far) and have already gone through the basics in css, the thing I've found most surprising is that the basics in html/css really are quite simple, especially when compared to learning even entry-level java. <br> <br> Edit: and thank you, I'll have a look at your suggestion and see if it pans out

Report comment
(6y)

@Mykee83 I gave up on Java 'cos there is nothing that I would want to put in pages that hasn't already been done, so if I want something specific I just look for an Open Source version. If you've got the basics under your hat I would suggest HTMLKit. It has always done the job for me.

Report comment
(6y)

@gallanted I'm talking java programming rather than javascript for web pages. I learned to write very, very, very, very... basic programs last year and html is nowhere near as grindy so far.

Report comment
(6y)

@Mykee83 Oh... I'm too long in the tooth for all that. As long as the Sun rises in the morning and the pub opens on time I don't need any apps or gadgets :-D <br>

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,921 reviews • 122,504 films • 18,490 TV series