This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,391 reviews
122,276 films • 18,454 TV series

Tech-head knowledge (your guide to helping me decide a new PC) (^.^) (1553 views, 35 replies)

This topic has been closed.

God
Report comment
(5y)

Hello
I am having troubles deciding on a new PC, i know next to nothing on what specs actually mean in terms of power/performance and such.
I was surviving on just going for bigger numbers all-round than i already have, seems to have worked for me in the past but, actually unsure what matters for different thing's that i am using, or will be using more of, i only understand good graphics for games....and that is about it:D always thought that stuff was not so important to know as long as things worked decently enough.
I use programs like Magix and probably in the future, some sort of video creation software for my music....and plenty of gaming.
I am in the UK so am thinking of Freshtech solutions PC, i am upgrading from a GeForce 9300 GE 256 mb graphics........YES i can see your eyes all widening:D to something more powerful, saved a little over the years to this point but now a little lost and despite all the useful videos on Youtube, they mostly assume that even a nood should know what they are talking about.
Read more

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@KiaZi You've seem to have already got some great advice so all I will add is make sure to invest in a very good external drive with lots of space ;)

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A Yes the community here is great help, thank you as well:) <br> I got reply's on here, a movie site pretty much, but on the tech/pc video pages on youtube, people don't seem to want to respond....at all most times. <br> Definitely got the best advice on two-movies on this subject:)

God
Report comment
(5y)

<br> <br> Would also be fabaroo if someone knew the possible upgrade potentials in the future with the mother board/power etzetera....

Hide 16 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@KiaZi Not finalized choosing yet. i'm not fond of vr ready but that might be the standard in all future graphics cards, heard in a video that going for decent to good graphics card can save a few more years until upgrading?

Report comment
(5y)

@KiaZi That's a pretty damn good rig you're looking at there. You wouldn't have to worry about upgrading for probably another 5-10 years. Although i would get a bigger hard drive to go along with it, maybe something like this [SPOILER] but that's just me, I don't like to delete anything ever... you never know when you will need it again.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@captainhowdey the motherboard looks like it only has one pcie slot and 2 ram slots though so no running anything in sli, which is dual videocards, and it doesn't say if it has one 16 gig ram chip or 2 8 gig ram chips. If it has 1 16 gig then you will have room for another, but I wouldn't hold my breath, chances are they are using 2 8 gigs in that bundle.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@captainhowdey yeah and since he's wanting to do video editing you really wanna have like 32GB of ram, while do fine with less i'ld recomend him getting a MOBO with 4 slots and supports 32GB so when/if he wants to upgrade he won't need another MOBO

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@awol_lsd yeah .. I wasn't thinking video editing... I seen it with gamer eyes lol

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@awol_lsd Thank you i will remember that, as this will be a first for a long time, then i hope to upgrade from there and get into the learning that way, i have been editing basic videos on 4gb ram but yeah my computer does not like that one bit and sometimes goes into overdrive/noise mode for a few moments, understandable though trying to do anything in this time with such an old pc:)

Report comment
(5y)

@captainhowdey Yes i have heard a little on two sticks of ram making up the total ram number, <br> you are probably right with the ram. <br> I will have to ask them about the ram and motherboard potentials, thanks for the knowledge. <br> In computing i am reading has done a bit of a hike or something on graphics, and some companies also being investigated for price fixing, something i heard on a pc youtube video anyway. one of jayztwocents vids, seems good but he looses me sometimes, so much to learn.

Report comment
(5y)

@KiaZi And the replys to my lost mind in the modern computer age are answered faster here than on youtube, most seem more concerned about how theirs was better then others and back and forth, and calling the opposite brands rubbish and so on...i just am looking forward to a better pc, and all the other blasted crap that has decided this year, that it is time to go to electronic heaven:D:D:D:D

Report comment
(5y)

@captainhowdey Thats a good hard drive i may consider as i always seem to fill up data storage, still hundreds of discs of files/movies/games backed-up from older days before realising the ease of external hard drives. <br> My current pc is 10 years at the end of february, still all working on original gear, they made stuff last long in those days, perhaps much the same is still true in the pc buyer/builder world, but unsure as i have been out of it and used to what i have had for all this time. <br> my 1 pc has lasted through 2 generations of consoles:)

Report comment
(5y)

@KiaZi Guess i will have to face internal stuffs soon as well:)

Report comment
(5y)

@KiaZi Why did you post that referral amazon link?

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Referral amazon link? i just done a link, i am sorry but i have no modern knowledge of what that means to my brain, i kind of skipped all that tech mumbo jumbo renaissance leap forwards. <br> Had no idea i did anything wrong? sorry:)

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Is this better, not sure why there was extra on the last one, but my brain picked up no errors <br> i took off the all at the point of ref, but not sure why it was up there like that, i am not on amazon myself so unsure how i would get refferal for amazon if it works like this site??? <br> <br> www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0776SZMJZ/?...

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Ah i figured out how i done that link before with the ref included, i loaded up a bookmarked page, but never knew it would do that nor reason to become suspicious of weirdness in the address bar, now i know i shall remember not to do that again, sorry again, is it that serious?

Report comment
(5y)

@KiaZi Nothing serious. Just wanted to make sure you're not promoting your amazon acc. :)

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Yikes, that could of been nasty for me if i had an account there, certainly don't want that to happen, thanks for the help/advice. <br> :)

skilled
Report comment
(5y)

here is some tier lists to help you decide. <br> <br> Cpu <br> www.gamingscan.com/cpu-hierarchy... <br> <br> GPU <br> www.gamingscan.com/gpu-hierarchy... <br> <br> here is a site to test to get an idea of performance you'll get for some games so can compare price/performance with things you play. <br> <br> www.game-debate.com/can-I-run/ <br> <br> if you're doing video editing you'll want a lot of ram. but using them you should be able to find something within a budget to put something usable together. <br> <br> i'ld strongly suggesting building the rig yourself, it's usually cheaper especically if you have patience i'm really poor so had a VERY low budget when i built mine, most said it was impossible... but i built a system with i5-2500k, gtx 770, 12GB ram for $250.... surfing ebay and being patient. ...
Read more

+1

Hide 9 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@awol_lsd " i'ld strongly recomend getting an SSD much better than HDD's" <br> <br> Also a hell of a lot more expensive for less storage, personally, I'd recommend a hybrid in the first instance until SSD comes down in price to make it worthwhile.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Mykee83 I have heard they are real great for faster boot times and running/starting programs, but so expensive that maybe use SSD for OS and a few things and an extra hard drive for everything else like games and music...It would not play better as that is still in most hands of the graphics card/ ram and such if understood right, but games and all things like that actually start up much more quicker or something, and possible shorter load times?

Report comment
(5y)

@awol_lsd I also noticed in the game-debate site games like Star Wars Battlefront 2 wanted 32GB of ram, is that spec recs for the highest settings do you suppose? <br> In regards to gaming, unless i can use something similar to ps4 controller but wired and not a-symmetrical, mostly i plan to play a lot of simulation/tycoon games on steam and base builders and all things marvelous to players drawn to those kind of games, Perhaps a few good point and click adventures too, if that is still a thing on pc nowadays? :) <br> first person adventures i mostly prefer on consoles, but sadly loads of company's have gone down the drains. <br> I also liked things like medievil total war and rpgs like balders gate. <br> not too sure what the pc market has to offer outside the usual brand games but i am getting excited:)

Report comment
(5y)

@KiaZi Mostly it will be used on Magix and i suppose heavy ram similar things, but i do also want to push it a little to see what games i can play upon the system at max settings, I want to play The Forest but taking so long for ps4 release so i will probably try that on pc at some point, cannot buy every game like i wanted to when i was younger, but also because of sh*tty games i have saved well this generation, went console instead of PC last time.

Report comment
(5y)

@KiaZi Have you considered an xboxOne controller? The latest ones support bluetooth and Windows itself has native support for it so all you'd need is a card with bluetooth or even a dongle for 99p on ebay.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Mykee83 I used to be gripped well into the xbox controller but have always been more used to symmetrical style controllers, at least when it comes to the analogue sticks, my brain does not react as well on the controllers with the a-symmetrical style analogues, although some seem to perform better on the xbox as well. <br> I am pretty much going for wired all the way from internet, mouse, keyboard and controller, its my old ways and my world without wires, wirelss, does not blend well with me like it does others.

Report comment
(5y)

@KiaZi Have you tried the mods for medieval 2: Total war? There's some epic stuff like hundreds of full LotR mods... it could revive your interest in it if you've already done the vanilla campaigns. <br> <br> Yeah, the differences are mostly marginal and a small SSD would be better in terms of long term reliability for your OS (no moving parts to screw things up). <br> <br> If you're going for a secondary hdd I would recommend at least considering a hybrid,the smarter ones actually store your more frequently used files in the flash memory so they get slightly faster load times over time. Have a look for SSHD (solid state hybrid drive). <br> <br>

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Mykee83 The base game itself is enough to revisit, i had so much fun on that game, really enjoyed sending out my spies and seein the videos if they were successful or failed, and had some epic battles as well, never too great at those games, but that never should stop one from enjoying the time one spends invested in such epic amounts if enjoyable.

i have quite alot to play on steam already now as well, i sort of went a bit mad as it was sale times on steam, but can't complain personally from the likes of classic X-com games, to Knights of the old republic:):):):):):):) turok dinosaur hunter, euro and american truck simulator, empyrion, Subnautica too.

already looking soon for a more stable and faster storage, have some birthdays in the first few months of the year though, definitely going to invest in one perhaps just for the sheer volume of games i probably will easily fill up with.

Report comment
(5y)

@KiaZi TATW is huge and as a big tokien fan it was great to play as various factions like Dol Amroth (Swan Knights ftw), Arnor (Dunedain Rangers WOOO) and Reunited kingdom.

God
Report comment
(5y)

Took longer than i thought to get around to buying in the end, not the model i first had my eyes on but seems just as nice for what i will need it for.

apart from extra bits and instructions for installing bits that were already in place, leaving me a tiny bit confused, the only issue i am having, is i am not sure as i have not had a different pc for almost a decade...

Can i just connect HDMI from moniter to computer HDMI slot to get an image in HD or is it not as simple? I have HMDI, but unsure if i need another cable like vga or dvi-d cable or HMDI will be enough on its own?

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@KiaZi If your monitor has a HDMI port you can hook-up a cable from the computer's HDMI video out port to the monitor. Make sure you have the monitor set-up for HDMI input. Your monitor should a set-up menu to allow you to choose the type of input you are using. smiley

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Stephen386 thanks, i got all that setup, although even thouh i have one through all colour settings and calibration of monitor, i am on HDMI in full HD but seem to have some trouble getting a true deep black on my areas that instead look dark grey at times, also has some effect on looks when in games looking more brighter than it perhaps should do, unless i have been away from monitors for so long i have not transitioned very well with the progress in monitor screens, or just the monitor, it was a free spare so not much to groan about, Spore although old works perfectly, and cities: Skylines too is smooth,

Ultamite test, sins of a solar empire on more than 100 planets and high settings, old too, but that game still tests rigs/setups out i hear, only played it a few times on my old PC and that struggled with less than half that amount:)

Report comment
(5y)

@Stephen386 Also great thanks for those badger/ublock ad blocks and shutup, i now have more area of choise to pick when i update windows, although i never like to do so, already learning, every windows update, they try and put another app that will not uninstall and insists on running and add to the memory total usage of things, i never asked to have running or actually need, Personal is not so much these days it seems, but i have some say in the time now at least, so perhaps to avoid day one update bugs and such things, not sure how much beacon is working along side shutup, but using it still:)

Report comment
(5y)

@KiaZi Glad everything worked out for you. smiley

Report comment
(5y)

@KiaZi HDMI should be fine alone unless using dual monitors, how much was it in the end?

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,391 reviews • 122,276 films • 18,454 TV series