This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 209,044 reviews
122,536 films • 18,492 TV series

Did Daenerys Targaryen Go Mad? (760 views, 60 replies)

This topic has been closed.

God
Report comment
(5y)

Or was it sweet revenge?

+6

master
Report comment
(5y)

I told you she was evil in the news topic. If you mean insanity, I doubt it. If you mean is she disturbed like a psychopath? Yep.

+1

God
Report comment
(5y)

No, she didn't.

For anyone in doubt, try having your whole family murdered when you're a helpless baby, raised by people who whore you out, and again in adulthood see your loyal friends, who have become a surrogate family, murdered.... She's seeking retribution.

Replies by this who gave no direct experience in either the seires or in real life need not apply.

smiley

+3

Hide 12 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@ Personally I just thought it was rage, and revenge. A reckoning. But maybe that IS a minute form of madness?

+4

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe Really? Then wanting people who are usurping your homeland to be killed is madness as well? And they haven't even murdered your family in front of you and tried to murder you.

Theoretically speaking, but also trying to identify with the accused.

Plus women are always seen as "mad" and men are always seen as "strong" in these circumstances.

Report comment
(5y)

@ She killed a lot of innocent people. They had lain down their weapons..surendered...the bell had rang. The battle was won. She could just have killed her nemesis, and those that followed her. She could have been merciful. The people in a country RARELY agree with those in power. Had she been a real leader...wouldn't she have shown restraint to those that were just as much a victim as she was? Didn't John Snow see this too?

+6

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe He did. He was baffled.

I'm not disagreeing with ANY theory.

Merely being the one to present an unpopular one.

It's a don't shoot the messenger kinda thing where people identify too much with the "what if"...

smiley

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@ Agreed..it's a matter of opinion what she was thinking. I bet we'll get plenty of opinons, today!

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe Totally, Joe.

I find it interesting how many use "the real world" for a fantasy piece and get their knickers in a twist when you propose a "what if" (and it's not even something you agree with)...

smiley

+4

Report comment
(5y)

@ Always? No, I don't believe that. I am beginning to think it is a lie we women have been fed. I'm not buying it anymore.

Report comment
(5y)

@sunshinedaydreams Good for you.

On a personal level I just don't acknowledge it.

I was only talking about this particular instance.

+1

@ All along she's been one of the most loved characters, I know that GOT has never been a show where being one of the 'good guys' has meant you're safe, but I think most people have been wanting Dany to succeed. I wonder if they did this so we all lose some sympathy for her because they are going to kill her.

+4

Report comment
(5y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ Could be.

Great supposition in any case.

I didn't state my belief, I just stated a psychological probablibity.

Because of her past, it was very iffy, but I never saw her as being able to be a completely benevolent ruler.

People use "good" and "ruler" or leader, but they simply don't exist, for long. Good eulwea are taken out by the opposition very quickly. A ruler has to have a bit of ruthlessness in them.

Does she have too much? I don't know, but I do sympathize with her catastrophic losses in her life.

Her enemies never playes fair, but now she is supposed to when it's already cost her so much?

I am not qualified to say whether or not she is, but based on what she's just done, it's not good enough to rule her out for me. Most leaders have to be ruthlessness to destroy their enemies.

Again, it's only my observation based on what I've seen.
Read more

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@ (rulers often have to do what's really good for the nation,but its hurting the people; no one understands "we're broke we all have to now be frugal."--cause its the people who have to be frugal.True,a character with a horrible--baby-hood-murders?--violent upbringing isn't going to be able TO AVOID violence in some way.)Look at the Arab nations,warring against each other for centuries!!no wonder their motto is"kill my enemy."--or "kill my enemy but still,be merciful do it QUICKLY.!!") their rule never learned any type but war,dictator,cruel to thieves,and iron rule to people.)

Report comment
(5y)

@ If I may offer a different perspective. Taking into account her past and the fact that King's Landing has always being the culprit of her misfortunes, the boogie man, the stuff of her nightmares, it seemed that she entered the battle in an all in kind of mentality. The battle however was lame at best, conducted and won entirely by air domination. And with just one dragon, no less. By comparison to the battle of the dead, where 2 dragons were incapable of balancing the threat, this was a walk in the park. And she did realised all this when the bells signified the surrender. The image of her boogie man was deflated in an instant. She realised how pathetic her nemesis was all along and her entire reason of her existence was immediately in question. The fact that she was denied her triumphant revenge was the tipping point.

+2

guru
Report comment
(5y)

I agree with joe.
It seemed like a split second decision to me.

"Fck it! I came this far, I'm the mother of dragons, you just beheaded my best friend and THEN ring that bloody bell??"
DRACARYS

+5

Hide 7 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@LiliLawless In all fairness, that's a wee bit simplistic. Her entire family was wiped out, her dragon child shot down, she herself lives in fear of assassination most of her life...

DRACARYS!!

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@ This action shows the exact opposite of what kind of ruler/leader she promised to be.

Torching innocent people. Arya got to see the results of it up close.
Jon probably has some opinions about his Queen's behavior too...

+6

Report comment
(5y)

@ Lol, also my "Fck it DRACARYS" comment was more of the joking kind btw. smiley

+5

Report comment
(5y)

@LiliLawless Lol I think it was a f**k it DRACARYS moment though.

I totally saw her reacting and being impetuous.

I also know an entire personal history behind it that's pushing that reaction to the forefront.

I haven't a clue if she can rebound from this.

I liked your comment.

I was just doing the "what if" bit.

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@LiliLawless I believe she had a conversation with Grey Worm before the left. There is no way he would have defied orders to lay down once the bell had rung. I know he's also hurting, but his decision there lead an army to massacre.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale before THEY left*

[SPOILER]

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale [SPOILER]

Lol

+2

master
Report comment
(5y)

What happened is exactly like FDR before America entered WW2 officially (as America started the whole mess by a guerilla war agaist Japan say in 1936).

FDR said no bombing civilians and condemned Guernica. Then allowed the insane Curtis Lamay to firebomb 1.2 million civilians!

master
Report comment
(5y)

Is there anyone who thinks she can ever be trusted?

Face it, she has little power other than being immune to fire and having a gift for languages. She is no warrior, is not wise, is not just.

She briefly was kind but only to get her way when powerless and lacking authority.

She might as well be insane.

It's ridiculous as Jon flat out supported her and they might have led together in some fashion. Jon wouldn't be king but maybe a royal consort and likely "Hand".

Personally I think it's a cop out and misogynistic. Why at this stage do this? For some big dramatic moment?

Report comment
(5y)

Never liked her, never trusted her good intentions, she only have them to get power and build an army to get back to Westeros, never listened to anyone that contradicted her, her family died because her father was the f**king Mad King, so no sympathies there... she's a spoiled brat that was lucky enough to survive until her dragons grow up, lost 2 of them because she has no idea of strategy whatsoever, and I hope she dies like her father or worse... And Jon stupid as ever trusting people that don't deserve it... Arya or Sansa should sit on the Iron throne, but I don't think at this moment is even there anymore

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@DarkKlown A spoiled brat with dragons that she stupidly used and so two died.

expert
Report comment
(5y)

Something Snapped

+2

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

I think you can see her descent over the last few season, but especially since she landed at Dragonstone. The closer she has got to the throne, the more paranoid, impulsive and arrogant she's behaved. Power and stature feeds the worse traits in people. Aerys II wasn't always known as The Mad King. His reign started out quite benevolently and t'was only time that changed that. YaY incest! I think it was only a matter of time before her ancestry caught up with her. I'm betting she's dead next episode.

Hope Jon goes too (what a clueless, useless twat he is, lol) You could count on 1 hand (Jerry Garcia's hand that is) the things he's actually done without someone swooping in to save him.

+3

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale Nice perspective.

Personally, I love different approaches.

They all prolong my enjoyment factor!

Woo hoo!

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale Well, consider the fact that she enlarged her inner circle with those that ordinarily would have been her adversaries. She chose to trust them and every single one betrayed her in one way or another. Frankly I am surprised she hasn't fed the whole lot to her dragon for lunch.

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@JudgeDredd Oh, I'm not disputing that some of her paranoia and anger is justified. It's not just genetics that play a part in mental illness.
I don't think she had any plans to let Kings Landing remain standing. She probably killed scores of her own people whilst she razed it to the ground. And I don't think she has any intention of allowing another Targaryen to continuing breathing.

+2

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Have you ever shagged you Brother?

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Would you want to???

master
Report comment
(5y)

Both madness and revenge, maybe??

I think she had just had enough. The beginning of the battle got her blood up. Then she got to thinking about everything that's happened. Her family dying as a young child, her brother selling her like a whore, ending up loving Drogo just to have him ripped away, having the 3 dragons she considered her children and having 2 of them killed, falling in love with Jon just to have him change his feelings because she's his aunt, fighting for people (the north) who give her no love, and to top it off Missandei.

She just lost it, so temporary insanity and revenge. This does show that she ABSOLUTELY CANNOT be a good ruler though. Good rulers can't go temporarily insane and go for revenge. She killed so many innocent people that she did not have to. That's unforgivable to me.

You know she's gonna want Jon and Tyrion both dead now too. I NEVER thought I could hate her, but I do. I was so on her side all the way too.

Ahhh, that is what makes this show so damn good. ...
Read more

+2

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@rickgrimesrocks This is one of the shows I waited for every week. Now what? LOL!

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe Same here, it killed me waiting two years for Season 8 and it seems to be over in a flash! Thank goodness there may be spin-off shows and, more importantly, books! :)

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@LissaDarkmoon🌘 I may be wrong..But I think there may be a PREQUEL...which means we could see any of the characters that are in GOT! Yes...here it is! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Untitled_G...

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe I'm reading a prequel at the moment - 'Fire and Blood'. Would love it if that's what they film next as it is set 300 years before current GOT and covers the history of the Targaryen kings, brilliant book so far :)

+2

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

Oh without a doubt. If it was just about revenge she would have headed straight for The Red Keep and just burned Cersei on her fancy little balcony there, but she didn't. She took to burning alive every last man, woman, and child. Not even The Mad King managed to accomplish that. Daenerys crossed a line there's no coming back from.

+8

God
Report comment
(5y)

Another "what if"

The residents of Kings Landing are innocent?

They cheered on Need Stark's beheading.

(Disclaimer: not an opinion. A proposition. To think about.)

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@ Unfortunately that's just normal human behaviour. Public executions were VERY popular, lively places to be at one point in time.

+4

guru
Report comment
(5y)

I think Daenerys reached her limit in the moment she stared at King's Landing with the bells ringing all around. After years of 'doing the right thing' despite the pain and suffering it often caused her, she lost all that were close to her, two of her dragon children and her love. She was loved by the people one minute then hated and betrayed the next in a kingdom that she was born to rule and she lost it....big time!! All of that loneliness, grief and fear became unbearable and she sought to wipe out King's Landing as the surrender was just not enough for her.

+6

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@LissaDarkmoon🌘 Well, she was never really born to rule, unless every betrayal and death was preordained fate - in which case, everything she did during this last episode was also meant to happen, so she was never going to be a benevolent Queen.

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale True, I worded that wrong, I meant she had been constantly told she was the rightful heir to the throne and fought so hard for it that she may have felt it was her birth rite and no-one elses :)

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale That, I agree with. She's too many issues.

It's not her fault, but it is the driving force, especially if you consider the reveal with Jon. That cinched it for me; she willfully denied any other heir. She is bent of revenge and can see naught else.

Not a good example of rule.

She's self aware enough to know, but too emotional to control it

+3

master
Report comment
(5y)

I think Tyrion would actually make the best ruler. He has the right balance of ruthlessness and kindness along with intelligence.

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

Watched the episode, and all I could hear in the back of my mind was...

+4

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Lurkio for the [surviving] users in Westeros who can't see your link because of copyright issues:

+4

Report comment
(5y)

@uunboundd ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!!

+1

master
Report comment
(5y)

Look back now and note the absence of normal relationships and morals. Far before the filming GoT was heavily criticized based on the age of the characters and what they did at those ages.

It's an amoral antihero drama.

What kind of message does it send to young people? Why use monarchy at all? Is it entertaining? Sometimes.

The only positive female rolemodel is Briene of Tarth. Otherwise look at how women are depicted. It's objectivication and 90% eroneous depictions of their martial art ability. It's women as victims quite often.

Weird.

God
Report comment
(5y)

Oh Hell....

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe Don't Bogart that...

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

I forget what the brother's name that was killed by melting gold.

How come he wasn't fire proof like his sister? Does anybody know why?

+1

master
Report comment
(5y)

It's dumb as they ruined a character who could have been a wise female leader who jointed ruled with a great warrior-hero. Instead they created a genocidal maniac like Mao Zedong.

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

I'm also wondering, if Targaryen's are resistant to wildfire, or would Daenarys be resistant?

I think Daenarys did all she could to keep peace and try to break the wheel for future generations. And when she was sitting there on Drogon's back, it looked to me like she let go of her benevolent side, reluctantly, when she started to cry and decided to take it all down and start again. Kinda like what Thanos said in end game. Otherwise nothing was ever going to change?

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@michael59 Her brother was called Viserys.

In the books Targaryen's aren't actually immune to fire. Dany's funeral pyre hatching of the dragon eggs was more a one-off magical event than the setting of a precedent for her to be fireproof.

The show just kinda ran with the immunity thing. So, the wildfire question is anyone's guess.

+1

master
Report comment
(5y)

you spose some writer took "Greek plays" and a lotta Shakespeare and more "tele-novelas",and reality shows,and smoked heroin before he wrote it?King got drugged up to write.--so did Dick.Writers aren't usually rated as "normal" or "well-adjusted to day-to-day life,with people,"You can't really be "very normal" to write. Nice people don't usually write.Holy men are the exception, and they often have trouble with it.

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

+3

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@Lurkio smiley

It's funny because it's true! smiley
Also kinda sad and painful, but still funny smiley

Thanks for sharing!

+1

expert
Report comment
(5y)

I think she probably thought burn it all, as they say war is good for the economy. At least now she can hire and import new workers (seeing as she killed all the old ones) and rebuild the city anyway she likes. Plus she probably thought burn them all as no one came to help with the Dead army.

+1

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

209,044 reviews • 122,536 films • 18,492 TV series