This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,379 reviews
122,276 films • 18,454 TV series

Home made recipes 2. Cheat sausage rolls. (874 views, 33 replies)

This topic has been closed.

God
Report comment
(6y)

Made some sausage rolls up some years back with similar ingredients named below.
Then i used just " plain pork " sausages and a pack of " pre rolled " puff pastry sheets if i remember right.
They did turn out okay and some of my friends did not believe i had made them up at first. That's the only time i have ever made thease up.

Bought in ingredients.
1Lb of low fat (72% pork) " Cumberland " sausages.
Only decent ones i could find - but the flavour could be a prob ye/no.
1 Kg of (frozen) puff pastry in 2 500gr blocks, will be using 1 of them, guess a lot of it will be wasted but i do aft to roll it out (it's about 2 cm thick lol).
Bought a jar each of garlic powder and garlic granules which i needed to get in anyhow, as i ran out ages back, great for cheese on toast.
And one rolling pin, never had the need for one as i know NOTHING about pastry making, made some frying batters up in the past, that's all, have a bag of flower which must be about 6 years old.
Read more

+1

top expert
Report comment
(6y)

have you not got a oven ? <br> no need to soak the sage the sausage juices will be adequate to rehydrate them (sausage contains water I know as I make my own) if you have some onion in the house finely dice some and ad to the sausage mix to make sage n onion sausage roles smiley smiley

+2

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(6y)

@payno <br> Forget to mention the (did buy one) onion, did not think anyone would suggest using it, anyhow that's a start, will do what you have said. <br> Onion put in raw i guess, dumb question. smiley <br> Since last night i have been getting very " paranoid " about using the flower (to stop stuff sticking to the hands ye), got no apron but it's not just that, by the time i have finished with using a " tiny bit " the kitchen will probably look like a drug factory. smiley <br> <br> Thanks for the reply, that's a start. smiley smiley <br>

+1

Report comment
(6y)

@payno <br> Could not taste any of the sage (a all two gram dried), maybe soaked in water/stemmed ye. smiley?

+1

Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 I only use fresh herbs <br> there cheap to buy a small plant I think I paid £1.50 for the sage / thyme / rosemary and £5 for a very small bay tree and had them for years so very good value

+1

Report comment
(6y)

@payno Hmm Looked for the pre grown pots a week prior to making up. That's why i used the dried ones. <br> Big thanks for letting me (the info as well) know about the flour.smiley smiley

+1

Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 I bet they still tasted nice though mate <br> dam I now want a sausage roll smiley smiley

+1

top expert
Report comment
(6y)

flour lasts about 6 months www.eatbydate.com/other/baking/ho... <br> might be a good idea to buy some fresh flour you don't want to be eating weevils smiley

+2

Hide 6 replies...
Report comment
(6y)

@payno Was looking at the flour (for something else) when in the supermarket but using flower for this was right at the back of my mind. smiley smiley <br> The flour i have is sealed and just happens to be in a freezer/sandwich bag and has always been in a dry place and it looks fine. <br> If there is any of thease little things, how long will they last a 200 C. smiley <br> Do have a little tub of baking soda, could that be of any use? <br> <br> Thanks for the advice. <br>

+1

Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 no baking soda is to make things rise sprinkle some down the front of your pants see if it works smiley smiley

+2

Report comment
(6y)

@payno lol <br> Remember it's just to stop any of the pastry sticking to the hands and worktop. :)

+1

Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 just use the flour and remember no naked flames as flour dust is explosive

+2

Report comment
(6y)

@payno It's bicarbonate of soda (salty), thats a no go. <br> Looking like i will be having a sausage sandwich lol.

+2

Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 sausage sarni food of the gods smiley smiley

+1

God
Report comment
(6y)

Wrapped up and put the old flour in the outside bin. <br> Bought a bag of plain flour from shop, smallest they had was 1 1/2 Kg hmm. <br> Going to do this tomorrow, the pastry is wrapped in a freezer bag (in the fridge) and should not dry out. The sausages will be okay for a few days...turning into a kitchen drama this. smiley smiley

+1

God
Report comment
(6y)

Pastry has not dried out and i'm about to roll it into sheets. <br> This is where the start could be a quick finish, at least i'm a little tanked up (need the stress releaf), going to be fun reading this tomorrow. <br> The updates on this maybe funny, but i'm going to do what @payno has suggested. <br> Wish mi look, do i need it. smiley

+1

God
Report comment
(6y)

Update: <br> To start with, even tho i had well cleaned the new rolling pin, it still had f*cking glue on it from the bar code label, luckily i have a load of clean/brand new sponges in with the rough scarring part on one side...rolling pin glue free...there are d*ckh*ads, rolling pin + food durrr why not just use a pull away tag on it. <br> Anyhow all the 500 gr puff pastry block has been rolled into (odd size) sheets and wrapped in food bags + put in fridge + whilst i wait for the shrinkage and have a can of beer smiley smiley ...has for stuff sticking to the work top,hands and rolling pin...no go, i did a good job...also there is not loads of flour every where...YET... <br> <br> Need to calm down and then start on the sausage meat and stuff. <br> <br> Will update. smiley smiley smiley smiley <br> <br> Edit: Kempt thinking about sex is that normal. smiley smiley

+1

God
Report comment
(6y)

Update: <br> Took the skins of the saugues using a bread knife (two min job) slicing down the center, this type of bread knife i have is very versatile, you can run it across your palm without a nick/scratch...it has grooves on it a bit like what you would see on a round meat slicer blade (another time). <br> Now when it comes to P/Vs measurements, I've put what i would call a (very) lot of black pepper with the sausages which i have mixed into one ball with half a small finely chopped onion and about 2 gr of " dried " sage, which in my eyes is like adding half a garden's worth of herbs...the taste of thease is going to be??? <br> One thing that is peeing me off at the mo is holding the sausage meat...it's sticking to my hands somemert rotten. <br> <br> Have calmed down but i'm having a lot of trouble focusing on what i'm doing, have drank a bit and if their is not a update on this within the next hour...well lol. ...
Read more

+1

Hide 9 replies...
Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 <br> Made up and put the rolls in the Microwave at 200 C fan (fan of course) for 10 min with a 1 1/2 min fresh hold to see how much they brown, have basted in skimmed milk (i'm VERY drunk but listening to some good music lol, the police great tunes). <br> Will update. :)

+1

Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 <br> Update: <br> 10 min in, there okay, going to leave for a further 5 min at the same temp. :)

+1

Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 Now i'm doing another 5 min at 220 c ,hmm will it be a f*ck after all and it's not all of them.

+1

Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 <br> Nearly there, going to do for another 5 min at 250 C, hmm a bit high.

+1

Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 This is realy turning into a duck, put in/on for a further 5 min 200 C oven and 3 min 200 C oven combined with the grill. <br> Not happy, will update

+1

Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 The meat has WELL cooked, the pastry is fu*king s*it, i will name and shame you mother f*cker greedy b*sterds, brand name f*ck You, look forward to the post to come on the net one way R a f*cking nother, get of your yacht's you mother f*ckers, wasting and insulting me and my time. <br> F*cking creeps, blame me challenge my cooking methods of this s*it passtery.

+1

Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 <br> Put the last lot in at 220 C for 22 min and 220 C with combi grill (which i should not need) for 3 min, i f*cking know already they are just going to be s*it as the first lot.

+1

Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 More crispy but have their f*cking risen on the top has they should have nooooo, they b*llocks....f*ck um.

+1

Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 <br> Final update: <br> The sausage rolls turned out PURE crap...rating = Binned them. <br> The good news is, had no hangover but the lips were a bit dry, nothing a bit fruit juice can not sort out.;) <br>

+1

guru
Report comment
(6y)

Try BBQ Chicken pizzaburgers ... from oetker , very good and only a few minutes in the micro-wave haha . BEST food ever!!! BBQ Chicken or Salami or Diavolo (spicy) pizzaburgers. I eat them all the time. And sausage rolls here in Belgium are 0,50 cents to 1 euro for a single and 2 euro for a double , in the store or at any bakery here ready to eat , also you can freeze them and micro-wave them later. A lot less mess and stress PureVodka smiley lol , and more time to see a good movie, I wish I could send you some smiley could build me a teleport machine maybe?

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(6y)

@freddy6666 ***also you can freeze them and micro-wave them later.*** What a great post, with so much info...need more of. <br> Many Thanks. :) <br> <br> <br> p.s. Long time no speak, hope you well bud, with the lungs and at, chat more on that in the other thread/topic ye some time...take care. ;)

+1

guru
Report comment
(6y)

On my wall pics you see them Pizzaburgers from dr Oetker , the best food ever smiley and my main food source , A pizzaburger a day keeps my hunger away ... I have atleast 100 to 150 pizzaburgers in my freezer at any time smiley yeap a bit of an addict I guess.

guru
Report comment
(6y)

Damn smiley reading all this made me hungry , time for a ... P... smiley

guru
Report comment
(6y)

Same to you , with the E siggs and stop smoking thats hard so respect !! I don't know if they sell pizzaburgers near you ( in the U.S. ) they dont sell them or maybe they started now , I eat them every day , easy and fast 2 minutes and the pizzaburgers is done and 2 minutes to eat them , can't get any more easy than that. Tomorrow They gonna deliver another 50 here so the freezer stays full

guru
Report comment
(6y)

I hope you have good weather good food and drinks and a very good day today mate smiley and enjoy the summer , maybe a holiday comming up ... Greetings from Belgium PureVodka smiley

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(6y)

@freddy6666 Sweet words, cheers bud. smiley ;)

+1

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,379 reviews • 122,276 films • 18,454 TV series