This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 209,047 reviews
122,536 films • 18,492 TV series

Black ice Any driver experience that (341 views, 6 replies)

This topic has been closed.

guru
Report comment
(5y)

No matter what anyone says. When your wheels hit that stuff, there is no traction at all. You can only rely on the bods that built the road with a good 'camber'

Hide 2 replies...

skilled
Report comment
(5y)

Yep, been on black ice before. Side swiped an electric pole that peeled the passenger side of truck I was driving. It was a complete loss..sold it for parts.
Using the brakes doesn't work, it will just make it worse. Have your steering ready so when you get traction you can gain control. In my case the pole was close to the road so it was a short slide before I smashed into it.

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@udahntiudahndo You know it. Keep the wheel for when the wheels gain grip. In one of my shots it was a frozen grass verge, not enough to brake, just enough to steer while speed bled off.
Scary I say. But you know that.
Lucky for me there wasn't a pole to bring my car to a dead stop.

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

Very scary, even if you have driven in it before. Where I live (way up in New Hampshire ski country) we get alot of snow, blizzards,black ice you name it. Black ice to me is the worst, and most people that are not familiar with it, will think it is just "wet" patches, because it is actually clear, I have no clue why they say black ice. Even with the best snow tires or chains, it is still a danger. Your stopping time is about 6 times slower on black ice, first thing I was taught about black ice, was do not panic..... hate that stuff..........

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@Rescue Dog Mama It's called 'Black ice' because the roads are usually made from bitumen, which is black and as you know that particular ice is totally transparent, so all you see is the road.
Do not panic! hahahahahah. By the time you realise your on it, it's way to late to panic.
Snow is much easier. If it's freah and has enough depth, lock the wheels. The build up of snow in front of the tires will slow you quicker. Only works on a flat road!

+1

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

209,047 reviews • 122,536 films • 18,492 TV series