This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,657 reviews
122,383 films • 18,475 TV series

Why are independent films so important? (1041 views, 5 replies)

This topic has been closed.

master
Report comment
(5y)

While it may seem like there are so many films being generated and they are sufficient to meet the needs for content, the reality is that any time a process is large it gets unwieldly and ends up censoring what can be made.

That limits which films will either be bought up after the production is complete or which will have investors so the film can be produced.

Hollywood once had very limited censorship (see pre-code films). Then enacted very strong censorship. Then loosened censorship. Then made increasingly subversive films. Then made films openly hostile to mainstream views. Then made antiChristian films.

The rationale is that some artists try to depict reality. Other artists try to create what they hope is reality. Some artists subvert what is reality.

Now all of that limits what can be depicted. And as they control the "pursestrings" then they have ultimate editorial control. And so, many film treatments" just fail to get any attention and never move forward, even if significant writing exists or is well written.
Read more

+1

God
Report comment
(5y)

That's actually very interesting.

I am going to need some time towards digesting all of what you've written, so I can respond thoughtfully.

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@ Feel free to agree or disagree.

I cannot comment why I know what I know. I do have some insight but won't be pinned down as it is peripheral and careers are on the line.

I don't care if you disagree with me or agree with me. In philosophy, the dialectic over time reveals glimmers of the truth. You never have the Truth,just pale reflections. That actually is a Biblical principle as well. 1 Corinthians 13:12

I respect anyone inherently.

I respect them more if they can communicate.

I really respect anyone who can provide evidence or logic (logos in philosophy).

I respect ethos in rhetoric ie an appeal to ethics based on objective morality. Subjective morality is intellectually a weak position and capricious and subject to majority view. If the majority are cannibals, they eat the minorities. This is a flaw of democracy.

I respect some pathos ie an appeal to emotion as film reviews are subjective artistic personal emotional responses.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare I will. Thanks. smiley

master
Report comment
(5y)

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialecti...
Here I will provide the frame of reference so that the definition of dialectic is established. Typically pathos is not part of that process, yet aethestics are vauluable in Art and are subjective.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aestheti...
likewise this is how beauty is discussed within philosophy and in rhetoric.

master
Report comment
(5y)

A Hollywood casting director looks at the actors' face, posture, physicality (ie graceful movements, dexterity, dance ability, stage prescence, musculature), etc.

In classic aesthetics, the more symmetrical the face of a human being is, in general the more the common people and the wealthy note the "beauty or handsome" aspects of that person. That is the general benchmark.

And then sadly in history, more consumers liked Nordic appearances than others.

And then in human nature, consumers have an affinity for those who have similar appearance.

And then in human nature, consumers like "idealized" physicality as it suggests "perfection" or even what a "god or goddess" might look like. [Greek/Roman and Scandanavian myths feature gods who generally look like humans]

And so a casting director has that reality that affects profit.

Meanwhile in postmodern thought, young people and enlightened people challenged this perception of "beauty". Obviously ethnic people living in the US were irritated and upset as there was such uniformity that it was difficult to resonate with the character of actor if the preponderance all are Nordic.
Read more

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,657 reviews • 122,383 films • 18,475 TV series