This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,704 reviews
122,388 films • 18,477 TV series

Weinstein, MFA movie, and David Blaine.  (988 views, 12 replies)

This topic has been closed.

guru
Report comment
(6y)

Starting with Harvey Weinstein, the news is he is stripped of his Academy Membership, that's pretty serious. Leo Mayer, of MGM, Metro Goldwyn Mayer, was called out by Debbie Reynolds as meeting actresses on the toilet while he took a sh*t. The casting couch is well known and Harvey says he's just a dinosaur. Which Jurassic Park movie did he see? It's good, will anything change I don't know. Ben Affleck has thrown in a dime apology, for anything he can think of. <br> <br> M.F.A. 2017, is a film about college rape on campuses in the US. It covers all the bases from the documentary, The Hunting Ground 2015. It's an important film... coming out with amazing timing. <br> <br> David Blaine, a magician from the UK called back from the US to face rape allegations/inquiry from 2004 is just adding more fuel. I have not looked at #metoo. <br> <br> Make some noise. What's this about? The movie industry, what we love(movies), and also how sexual assault/rape is depicted in films. ...
Read more

master
Report comment
(6y)

Thanks for the info about M. F. A., the movie.

+2

top expert
Report comment
(6y)

Meryl Streep and others speak out against Harvey Weinstein. <br> <br> www.nbcnews.com/storyline/harvey... <br> <br> <br> Since the Weinstein disclosure broke, several female senators have also come forward and related their own personal stories of sexual harassment/abuse. <br> <br> www.washingtonpost.com/news/powe... <br> <br> <br> <br> Your silence supports the abuse. <br> <br> Become educated. Become involved. Support women. Stand up for women. If you see something, say something. <br> <br> If you read something online, say something. Join in conversations and express your support. <br> <br> Because, someday ... ...
Read more

+2

guru
Report comment
(6y)

Thank you, this is good stuff. This fight, I don't know what else to call it, is very hard. <br> I worked in a womens shelter in London for 1 1/2 yrs. These are women who have been in an abusive relationship with a husband/partner/boyfriend and Asian women abused from an arranged marriage or trying to leave before the marriage arrangement. <br> My first exercise in front of 160 women is to show a pix of the movie Titanic. The women with no English know this movie. I ask, should Rose be with Jack or Cal? It's like Moses parting the Red Sea. Half the women think Rose should be with Jack and the other half think Rose has made a terrible mistake and should be with Cal. So they would sign their name on the side they chose, and I know what I am working with just to start on. <br> I dunno where the tip of the iceberg is. Many men have serious problems, but so do women.

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(6y)

@ginger666 My husband was the sensei and head instructor at a kenpo karate dojo, that offered, and still offers, self-defense classes/training to women and girls. With all new students, he gaged the mental state of the women by their body language. The women who had been severely traumatized were either extremely angry and agressive or extremely quiet and docile. The body language at each end of the spectrum was very different, as you can imagine, but the cause was the same. <br> <br> So, as you used the women's views on the characters in the movie Titanic, body language was his way of gleaning clues and determining what he was dealing with. <br> <br> He told me something one time that stayed with me: the best teachers were his students. He was a wise man. smiley

guru
Report comment
(6y)

I did write to Leah McKindrick, MFA, she researched for 2 yrs and I told her how good she did, with specifics about that, I'm not going into that here. I'll keep you posted if I hear from her. She is probably very busy and getting a lot of messages about her work.

guru
Report comment
(6y)

This is a MFA type reference story. My daughter has been well schooled by me. 2 years ago her and her friends frequented a pub called The Actress. It's mostly young people like them. My daughter and her mates are very smart and sharp, watching out for each other. They don't drink more than 1 or 2 pints. Buying their own drinks, and guarding them. If you go to the toilet you take your drink with you. Times have changed so much. My daughter was drugged, she knew it, her friends knew it.. and they got her home safe. A few weeks later my daughter's best friend was drugged there, and they got her home safe. After that they told me about it. I didn't go to the pub, The Actress, ask to speak to the owner. I took those girls to the police station to make a report. They had been drugged by the bartender. No doubt. <br> I don't know what else to say about it. That bartender was sacked at least.

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(6y)

@ginger666 It takes a lot of courage to go to the police with a report of this type. You are a great example to your daughter and her friends and to the rest of us. You are also a good example to the authorities to witness and have to deal with. <br> <br> I think a lot of people greatly underestimate the amount of courage it takes for a female to come forward with reports of sexual abuse ... until they are faced with the choice themselves. <br> <br> As we are witnessing even now regarding this forum post, silence is the all too frequent option when people are faced with the mere subject of sexual abuse. <br> <br> Change takes time, and sadly, the price of victims that could have been saved from the suffering. <br> <br>

+1

Report comment
(6y)

@caseyanne I could have walked down the street to that pub and tried to talk to the owner..etc.. I took the girls to the police instead, so at least the bartender was sacked. This is to make a report. That would eventually build a case against him. <br> <br> No one's talked about Blaine here. The details of the report is chilling to me. So, why since 2004? Because if he did it, he didn't do it just once. She's really brave.

top expert
Report comment
(6y)

<br> Interesting that you refer to a movie staring Kate Winslet when you interact with the women at the womens' shelter. smiley Life is full of coincidences, isn't it? smiley <br> <br> www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201... <br> <br>

+1

top expert
Report comment
(6y)

<br> And the door to this closet of dark, ugly secrets just keeps opening wider and wider ... <br> <br> October 24 - Legal cover up: <br> <br> [www.ft.com/content/1dc8a8ae-b7e... <br> <br> <br> October 24 - 'Wonder Woman' star Connie Nielsen says producer, Weinstein, groped her: <br> <br> www.usatoday.com/story/life/peop... <br> <br> <br> What Tom Hanks has to say about the Weinstein scandal: <br> <br> www.pbs.org/newshour/arts/what-t... <br> <br> <br> Matt McGorry: ‘Good Men’ Need To Step Up In Light Of Weinstein Allegations - Speaks of Toxic Masculinity Among Males <br> <br> www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mat... <br> <br>

+1

top expert
Report comment
(6y)

<br> October 24 News Article - 'Hunting Ground' Team Plan Hollywood Sexual Assault Documentary <br> <br> <br> www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/...

+1

guru
Report comment
(6y)

The Hunting Ground got so little distribution. It's gonna be so hard to make it, and for people to see this,.... again.

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,704 reviews • 122,388 films • 18,477 TV series