This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,748 reviews
122,406 films • 18,479 TV series

Should we be calling Women...Women? (1232 views, 102 replies)

This topic has been closed.

God
Report comment
(5y)

Ok femenists...and anyone else. The word woman has the word man in it. It is DERIVED from the word man. According to the bible. When people speak of the human race, they use the word "mankind". Is this misogynist? Does the fairer sex need their own descriptive word, without the "Man " in it? Maybe we could call you Aphrodite. What do you think? Is "woman" offensive?

+2

Report comment
(5y)

You're obviously NOT a feminist

+1

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@ashleexry Nope.

Report comment
(5y)

@ashleexry ASH IS CORRECT, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE SLIGHTEST THING ABOUT "FEMINISTS.fOR EXAMPLE,THESE "lIBERAL FEMINISTS"NOW ARE not feminists!!they are not against Muslim Sharia Law,they only hate white male Americans!they are ffing liberal-Muslim lovers!!!NO FEMINIST would approve of,or not be against Sharia Law!!--Go look up Muslim Sheria Law, real feminists would be out against Sharia Law.

--but these phony feminists never condemn Muslim anti-female laws and religion!! they are phonies!!Go look up 70's feminists.--these liberal women are NOT REAL FEMINISTS.

+4

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

Yes, we should and you have outdone yourself with this one B. Too funny! Is this a one man crusade against the English language or just being bored?

+3

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@..box.. Just general curiosity. I thought I would beat the masses to this question. I think it will be addressed soon.

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe You are a man before his time, I must concede.

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@..box.. ..........LOL!

+2

God
Report comment
(5y)

I identify as a potato.

No potato shaming (or mashing).

:)

+6

Hide 6 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@ I've got nothing!

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe LOL

Is there an appropriate response to a woman who identifies as a potato?

smiley smiley

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@ LOL! If there is I don't know it! Tasty? Lumpy? Good under any circumstances? Can I take your skin for you?

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@ Humour sometimes works... or so I've been told smiley

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@ Yes.
How many eyes do you have? And which way up do you wish to be planted?

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

I have no idea where the idea that all women are bra-burning feminists came from, or why you seem to think all feminism is so wrong.

You started a thread a while ago asking why all women hate men too.

Do you need a hug, or are you too far gone?

+4

Hide 34 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale I'm fine. I'm just reacting to all of the articles that I've been reading...like this one... www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/10/1...

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe In all fairness, she just hates men.

People often like to confuse who they really are with a bunch of trendy labels.

Rather than give into that slant, you could just see her and others for what they are?

Just an idea? :)

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@ I'm basically stupid. People tell me things..and unfortuantely.. I believe them. I never think..."Why would they lie to me?" This has lead to some unfortunate situations. People are always telling me.."And you BELIEVED them!?"

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe I kind of see the correlation with this article, but not to a great degree.

You strike me as an articulate person who has a lot of knowledge.

You also strike me as someone who would make up their mind for themself.

I could be wrong, and I am generalising to a certain extent, but what I am most definitely attempting to say, is you do not strike me as someone who cannot read between the lines of situations like this.

This representation is clearly someone who hates men (for whatever reason, I don't know and basically the premise is off-putting to me, so I'm not going any further in reading).

I cannot see how anyone could see that any other way and seperate the chaff from the wheat and then move on... OR

... ask, like you seem to have done.

I guess the subject keeps coming up, so is the quandary really them, or is it that you're not seeing that there are a lot of hateful people out there?

Report comment
(5y)

@ I don't like what I'm seeing from women... www.hiddendominion.com/male-emas...

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe Perhaps you should re-phrase (or you will be as negative as they are)

"I don't like what I'm seeing from THESE women."

I don't mean that in a demeaning way, the correction, it's just you seriously run the risk of Pot-Kettle-Black with the overuse of generalising all women.

She does not speak for me, for instance.

She's an affront to all women, in my opinion, and I'm a woman.

+5

Report comment
(5y)

@ When I started this thread, I meant it. I believe that with the direction society is headed, that the word "Woman" WILL eventually be replaced by something that does not have the word MAN in it. I"m SURE this will happen. I just wanted to see what everyone else thought. I didn't want a war.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe I'm not at war, not in the least. :)

I was discussing with you, but I think you already know that?

I actually don't care what other people do.

I pay no attention to their sheep like tendencies.

The world swings in roundabouts and I move in a straight line.

LOL

+4

Report comment
(5y)

@ I like that.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe Thank you. Me, too. :)

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe Doesn't speak for me either.

I'm more of a misanthropist. Equal rights 'n all. lol

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe Go on tell the truth.
You just want 'post points'

Report comment
(5y)

@Egor17 They don't hurt! It beats talking about the weather...or whether someone's feelers got hurt somewhere.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe So that's a yes to the points.
Talking about the weather has saved many a person.

"There is a storm coming, I feel it in my bones!"

"Look at they clouds. Stay close to home."

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Egor17 Look at Noah...he's lost his mind!

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe At least it is my mind.
If I wanted to build a boat. I would have some of the skills.

Does that 'hurt your feelings?'

Report comment
(5y)

@Egor17 Nah. I may be insensitive.

Report comment
(5y)

@ Exactly, Ravenous.

People confuse someones self-made crusade as a crusade for the many.

The opinions of a few can really tarnish the good work being done by the rest. It is no different to any other movement, political siding, or anything else that divides opinion.

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe And you think someone like that speaks for all women?

Or just the ones that voted for the other guy, I mean woman.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale They are getting most of the air time. They are who the media is supporting. When was the last time you heard a report about women that oppose them?

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe The media likes to stir the pot and create situations and a lot of sensationalism.

You know this. :)

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@ I do...but I also see a lot of women on this site that act as though they would like a set of testicles.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe Yea, well, yea.

It's online personalities as well.

You're still at risk of the Pot-Kettle-Black, and personally, I don't heed that kind of nonsense (I'm not saying you, I'm saying ANY of it.)

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe I certainly don't want a set of those wrinkly old ugly things lol.

Also for anyone that doesn't know...I'm a woman. My screen name is a character from The Walking Dead smiley. I'm not a "closet woman" lol.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@rickgrimesrocks Sorry about your apparent "Death". I believe they took him out that way, so that he could return, at some time in the future. By the way, those " wrinkly old ugly things" are the family jewels! LOL!

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe They get air time because they shout the loudest. News is mostly entertainment now, not informative. 24 hours a day, 7 days week.

If they didn't have people like her spouting off nonsense, or the segment on the dog that says "I love you" they end up with dead air and blank paper.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe ME--the media may support them,i say these present feminists are phonies,one-sided,democrat,Media loving fakes.They are USING FEMINISM to help their political dirt,and anything this Media supports,you should be very suspicious of.--cause the Media now only supports their own liberal,left,"brown shirt" phony-arse-huls.the Media sucks crap.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale I don't think they "get"women at all,or feminists,and they need to read classic 70's feminists' writing just to get SOME UNDERSTANDING.

You guys,women want the same things you want--respect,affection,dignity,kind ness ,fairness,equality in careers--love--power to help run the country- and freedom.We are not COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.--

BASICALLY,we want the same things you want and need!!--and we want to love you guys on equal terms--Just because women have periods,and men have testosterone,does not make us DIFFERENT OR LESS.WE are also smart,caring,and we don't want to be alone.WOMEN WANT WHAT YOU WANT--which might be the problem.You are trying to make we women ALL DIFFERENT than men!!we are NOT DIFFERENT!!(except for anatomy.)We are human beings,as you are!!You need to talk to women as if they were friends, buddies,too.--because we are your friends and buddies,too!! TRY IT,TRY IT,you'll like it!!..:) smiley smiley

+2

God
Report comment
(5y)

The word Man was originally gender neutral, Man meaning the thinker, men, to think, it was used for all of humankind

Before “man” meant a male, the word “wer” or “wǣpmann” was commonly used to refer to “male human”

Women at the time were referred to as “wif” or “wīfmann“, meaning “female human”. The latter “wifmann”, eventually evolved into the word “woman”, but retained its original meaning. The word “wif” itself eventually evolved into “wife”, with its meaning obviously being changed slightly.

Interestingly, the word ‘men’, meaning “to think” or “to have a cognitive mind”, was also gender neutral and connected to “man”, which meant “the thinker”. So we can see from that how “man” originally referred to all humans.

I personally can't see any issue with Women, or woman, they can think as well, as is the meaning of man.

+2

God
Report comment
(5y)

I like Ladies better smiley

+3

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@Teeny💋 I'm not fussy about what you call yourselves. Anything is fine with me!

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

I find you can call them whatever you want... as long as they don't hear you.

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@RandomOne .....LMAO!

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

Menstruation - The bane of a woman's life. I think it's quite fitting that the word contains those 3 letters lol

+3

Hide 6 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale LOL! I lived with a girl when I was young...that had a rough time during those periods. She went simply nuts. I would pack a tent, and camp out for a week, and come back when it was over. It worked out well for both of us. It was the only choice.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe So why did you bother to live together?just for sex?If it was that bad,why bother--and since you and mrk have such complaints about "modern women"(and you still don't understand them)living with a woman was obviously beyond your capability.You both should have gotten large dogs instead..

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 It was the sex. I'm not into beastiality.

Report comment
(5y)

No, the word, "women" is not offensive. If you know the Adam and Eve history, even to this day. Men have 11 ribs and Women have 12 ribs. Why because EVE was made from ADAM's rib when he was in a deep sleep. God made woman so the man don't have to be alone on Earth. Lady replace the word, "woman" without the "man" in it. Women love it when you call them, "Ol' Me Lady"!!! Men and Women are created equal.

+1

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Been sittin on the sidelines of society for years now watching the feminization of many of my male brethren while many women have seemingly begun to possess testicular envy. Really just wish the 2 sexes could look at one another and revel in the differences and uniqueness of each other while genuinely appreciating what makes us different. I appreciate women for how they ARE different from men :>P

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@mrkim56 Agreed. I like them for what they are. But many of them do not feel the same.

+1

master
Report comment
(5y)

If you wanta make comparisons,a lot of women would rather have gay male friends than have to put up with"Mr.Macho,Boys'-Club-B.S." It is true, that type of "guy" is not the wave of the future.You can already see it,the guys who program computers,invent software,invent Google or Microsoft, and never thought a computer was anything BUT male work---they are the New Breed.

--they are very different in lots of ways,the big strong,macho male is over.--You know,the Steel-mill blue-collar-big family wage earner??He is OVER. Those guys who can't see past someone's sex-organs, when they look at them.

The new man is one with BRAINS,not especially any brawn.Most women would rather have the computer-system-analyst,computer-program mer,or "alternative-browser inventor," or what yoU sometimes call NERDS.SMART MEN.They don't have to be macho,tall,heavy,muscular,especially..Bu t Male NERDS,who have brains over brawn,are already more attractive to women.
Read more

+1

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 LOL! If that's what you really want...that's what you'll get!

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 I think you need to take a look at what skilled tradesmen of most professions earn compared to a market which is saturated with "programmers" lol

Report comment
(5y)

man determines the SEX OF THE CHILD. so no, women is not getting changed. men need to start fighting, its in OUR DNA. The female is XX the man is XY. THE MAN DETERMINES THE SEX OF THE CHILD.

also the white girl rhetoric that acts like you "care" is dead. the white girl narrative of "god brings prosperity" is dead. get over yourself and all your million songs that eliminate almost all care from the white christian female. white christian females are the devil. you have to live. you are EVIL. do the palindrome. LIVING IS EVIL. learn how to create heaven on EARTH. seriously i talk all day, out loud because all of you have severe passive aggressive behaviour and need to seek/receive psychological intervention immediately.

it is funny to read everything you say. makes looking at you in public even funnier.

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@30somethingidiot You'll fit right in around here

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@30somethingidiot Sits on your face to make you stfu!

+2

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

Feminism is a spectrum, like many beliefs and philosophies are. Some of my former coworkers used the word womyn. I don’t, but in Academia, even on the Admin side, we always used as much neutral language as possible. It just sounds better when being read back, anyhow, but that’s not everyone else’s world, so I don’t have expectations that neutral language will be used by people who don’t communicate for a living, nor do I expect everyone to have my level of vocabulary or proper grammar and punctuation in their writing. Words change over time, too. I don’t really think women who are independent and confident dwell on these “men” word things. I never have. I’m a Feminist. I ride in my spot on the spectrum, but I am less of a Feminist and more concerned with all humans being equal regardless of whether they’re male or female or where they come from. I don’t find it productive to only fuss about women’s issues when there are far too many human issues that need to be righted. ...
Read more

+4

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@ditzygypsy I see that you have changed your hair, or at lest your pic, again. I agree with what you've said...right up until the end. I don't believe that we should "look up" to anyone, nor do I believe that is their job. The governments purpose is to protect us...from other nations, and if neccessary from ourselves. That , to me, is their sole function. Taxes, and infrastructure being a by product. The rest should be left up to local governemnet. And not to be over used. If I got my moral compass from whoever was in the White House, I would have been a schizophreniac several times over.

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe That makes sense. I thought about it after I read your reply, and I actually do agree with you as far as humans being fully flawed. And in order to try not to be constantly let down, I actually have always tried to remember what the Bible says in Psalm 118 about not putting our faith in (hu)man(s) and instead looking to the Lord as our role model. But they are our leaders, and I guess I just prefer people who do their job AND are dignified as oppposed to people who have no respect for anyone including the office they have been elected to.

And yes, I changed my photo, lol. Cheers. 😊

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@ditzygypsy I think President Trump respects the office...and SOME conservatives.

Report comment
(5y)

@ditzygypsy And I am looking forward to the next revelation of your hair! [only appreciation intended!]

+1

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Most men, while not all, have at least the traces of "hunter gatherer" floating around within them, just as surely as most women, but not all, are similarly imbued with traits of the "nurturer/caregiver" instincts. Changes within western society have bent those roles, some for the better, some not.

Many women seem intent on vilifying a large segment of the male population as unthinking, brutish oafs, some are, some aren't. Television, movies and the media in general have glad handedly furthered that position for many years, most especially in regards to "white" men, something which lead me to turn off the brain dead/racist/sexist musings fostered by main stream Tv shows over 20yrs ago.

History relates that men have conquered and tamed the world, defended and protected their individual family units, fought the wars that shaped the global societies we now know, grew the crops and tended the livestock that fed us all, and for the most part invented nearly all the machines and gadgets that have made our world more easily livable. I'd say all in all we as a race of peoples have all benefited from the above, not in toto, but at least to a large degree.
Read more

+3

Report comment
(5y)

See You Next Tuesday has been a title that I like actually. Feminists don't get laid and I always love a good razor. Viva La P.O.P !

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@lilsiren Oddly enough, I deduced what that meant.

Report comment
(5y)

C U Next Tuesday lol

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@lilsiren ...LOL! I'm ok with that.

Report comment
(5y)

@lilsiren How about THIS site? www.vulvapop.com/

master
Report comment
(5y)

Sociolinguistics is a thorny subject, and although I'm ambivalent about its real impact, I do try to use gender-neutral terms where they exist. I use Ms. because it's practical; I shouldn't have to know a woman's marital status to politely address her. I use humankind, not mankind. Spokesperson, mail carrier, flight attendant, admin assistant, these are constructs I can live with, because it doesn't torture the language or the tongue too badly to use them. But there are things that leave me shaking my head, and which will almost certainly never catch on, abominations like using only fabricated gender neutral pronoun constructs. Female and woman are not one of the things I stress over, however, and I often worry we just try too hard to make ourselves crazy about this in America. Do they have these discussions in places where the words themselves are masculine, feminine--or neuter? Is there a movement in Spain to end all nouns in 'x', replacing the feminine 'a' and masculine 'o' word endings with a gender-neutral construct?
Read more

+1

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@TRCIII Gender equality is great, but in general, little girls will still act like litle girls, and little boys will still act like little boys. As far as what we call them, we can call them frick and frack...but we can't call them the same , because they are differnt.

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Good grief. Don't think I've ever came across such a load of BS before.
It is simple.
Men are men Women are women. We are genetically different to allow procreation. Not so much to do with god worship as the same as every other species on earth. To make more.
Genders between. So what. Humans are not they only mammals that love their own gender.

As for the initial question. Women should be called women, not girls. They are adults. With minds of their own.

Just be glad your not speaking French. Every word has a gender.

+2

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Such a long 'post'
Honestly, who can be bothered to read it? Except the bored.

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Egor17 Yeah...reading is overrated.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe Funny that. I have membership of every library in the counties that make this city. I moved a lot in the first decade or so. One card. just had them scan the same card and enter.
I read a lot.
Was really strange to start. In the UK you join one library you are automatically joined to the whole nations books places.
Best of both here and there It is free.
Unless of course, you steal a book. Or much worser You are over due on a return!
OH.. The pennies I had to pay for that!!

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,748 reviews • 122,406 films • 18,479 TV series