This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,649 reviews
122,383 films • 18,475 TV series

Now comments are reviews! (3170 views, 88 replies)

This topic has been closed.

admin
Report comment
(4y)

To improve overall quality of movie/show comments, we've renamed them to reviews. Since a large % of users actually prefer to write reviews, I think it's a good idea.

Update.

Some users still post comments and questions, discuss links quality etc.
Please don't do that. Links come and go, but reviews stay FOREVER.
We delete off-topic, short, useless reviews. 2 words about the movie (example: Good movie lol) is not a review, please remember that.

Thank you.

+24

God
Report comment
(4y)

smiley

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

i have always tried to keep the review aspect in mind, especially when i've seen users who would sooner drop a list of spoilers while chatting with friends like it's their facebook.

+5

Hide 10 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd I'm just tired of reading comments like: "a poor cam copy sh*t, 4/10". Useless.

+8

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil To those who always wanna watch/DL the newest moovies as soon as they hit the net cam versions are gonna be their only recourse and if they can't wait til a better version is available why bother to litter the comments w/ complaints?

Even worse, unless the comments/reviews threads are edited later these unnecessary comments will live on in perpetuity even after the cam versions are gone from the list of sources.

+9

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 Absolutely correct.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil Oops accidentally downvoted your comment!
💋

Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd Or bring politics and/or religion into EVERY review and go off topic from the review of the film or series.

+11

Report comment
(4y)

@ Right because politics and religion have nothing whatsoever to do with films like any war film, any crusade film, any Biblical film, and histody film, and postapocalyptic film, etc.

Because Hollywood is balanced and never has any bias and that therefore has zero effect on the script!
ROFL

Report comment
(4y)

@ Amen sister
💋

+1

@Teeny💋 What she ^ said

+2

God
Report comment
(4y)

Excellent, thanks a million Doc. Eliminating the useless comments is going to help as well. smiley smiley

+7

master
Report comment
(4y)

Gee, do you think religion might have something to do with just about every horror film?

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

Any chance of collapsing the replies in the comment section?

"Click to read replies"

It's great that people want to chat about the things they watch, but scrolling through spoiler filled replies can get tiresome.

+10

Hide 12 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale YES!! Please do this.

+5

Report comment
(4y)
+3

Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale Hiding/Showing child-comments trees?

+5

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil I agree with this idea.

+5

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil Yes. That's what she means. smiley

+4

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil WOW!!!

Doc, you are FAST at getting that done (I see it's up on the Jesus thread already.)

I love it!

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil I was thinking the replies would automatically be hidden and you would need to click "show replies" to see them. The way it's set up works just as well though.

Thanks for doing it so quickly! Again, you're awesome.

+5

Report comment
(4y)

@rickgrimesrocks read the latest post

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil Aaahh, ok. It still serves it's purpose, which is great.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil WoW! That was super fast!

Shame the default has to remain to show them, but it's great we now have the option to hide the trees.
Thanks, Doc!

Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale Yes, this is currently the maximum we can offer now.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale This is an excellent idea.

+2

master
Report comment
(4y)

I Agree. smiley

+5

senior master
Report comment
(4y)

Great idea DF regarding the collapsing comments, and it might dissuade those of the verbose inclination to think twice before expounding/preaching a diatribe that won't be seen except by the very dedicated/bored/religious members of our community. Nice one.

+6

admin
Report comment
(4y)

I added collapsing but there's a problem. When the default state is "collapsed", then you can't reach the latest comment with hash in the url since it's hidden.

Hide all replies then click here: dosmovies.com/forum/thread/Now-comments-....

+3

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil read this

+1

Report comment
(4y)

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil Thank you for explaining WHY CLICK TO READ MORE cannot be used.

smiley

God
Report comment
(4y)

That's a great idea.

senior master
Report comment
(4y)

Awesome! I agree with several other above members in regards to the default being "Click to Read More" instead of "click to Hide" as there are quite a lot of written spoilers within discussed "tree" comments and that always blows!

+1

God
Report comment
(4y)

Thanks doc! You are totally awesome.
Teeny💋👍👍👍👍

+2

admin
Report comment
(4y)

Update.

Some users still post comments and questions, discuss links quality etc.
Please don't do that. Links come and go, but reviews stay FOREVER.
We delete off-topic, short, useless reviews. 2 words about the movie (example: Good movie lol) is not a review, please remember that.

Thank you.

+4

Hide 20 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil Can there be a section for comments like that then? I know a lot of members find that stuff useful, me included. Maybe the comments could even disappear automatically after so long in that section.

Example - I found a movie the other day, it's IMDB link is for the movie "Precious" but it's listed as "Push" on here, with Push's picture, Push's storyline and Push's links. I wrote a comment/review telling people that and also told them that I added two links for the actual movie Precious.

Can we have a section to add info like that and discuss link quality, etc.? Or is that asking too much smiley? Thanks Doc.

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@rickgrimesrocks That's not a bad idea.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@rickgrimesrocks Some sites call it "Questions/Answers".

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil That sounds right and should cut down on those comments about links you don't like. People would have to get used to using 2 sections if you decide to do it. What do you think about having a length requirement for reviews to cut down on the short/one sentence reviews?

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil Also, people that want to have a "discussion" where it ends up being like 10+ replies long could do that in this separate section. Just an additional thought.

Report comment
(4y)

@rickgrimesrocks The Forum is also a great place to have a 'discussion' with other members regarding a series without having to worry about written spoilers or ruining any plots for others. It's probably the best place for this and requires no changes to the review/comment section which will most likely just create more confusion + complaints.

If members complain about that being in the Forum, then it's on them as they make the choice to open the thread and read it.

That's just my humble opinion.

Side note to whoever reads this... Are these changes the reason why there are not as many reviews/comments lately? It seems like they have slowed down or something as I noticed on main page there are some from days ago - even '1 week ago' under latest comments/reviews home page.

Either way - Cheers!

Report comment
(4y)

@3UN01A Yes but are people going to start a thread just to have a discussion like they do in the comment section? I really don't see it happening. I'm not sure a lot of people even know about the forum. It might be the perfect idea in a perfect world but I just don't see people doing it. They will continue to do what they do now and keep replying to each other under the reviews. The reason I put "discussion" in quotes is bc I was also referring to the people who like to have an argument and I don't really see them coming to the forum for that especially.

The only way to stop that from happening would be to not have a reply button in the review section or a separate section for stuff of that kind. Rather than take the option away from people I thought it would be better to have a separate section that would still be on the movie page. Replies could go there along with any other non-review type comments. ...
Read more

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@rickgrimesrocks I believe members will start a thread to discuss a series as they have in the past and since almost all of the reviews/comments are made by 'regulars' who are already familiar with and active in the forum, sure. Maybe even a directing link to the forum can be added to the review/comment section for the minority who are not aware of it. It would also be good for the forum + site to have more thread topics about series/films IMHO and in the 1 year+ I have been here as a signed up member, it really is a small community of active members that are already familiar with the site's features such as the forum so I don't think it would be a complication for anyone.

People will do what they want at the end of the day, that's true. Nothing will stop anyone from typing spoilers unless a mod/admin constantly watches and deletes which is a lot of work.
Read more

Report comment
(4y)

@3UN01A When I made the suggestion of the separate section I was honestly only thinking of movies, I hadn't even considered series. Yes the forum is more appropriate for a series discussion and would probably get more people involved too. Will people do it? Idk maybe it would help if there was a link to the forum as you suggested, that's a great idea. There are also a lot of newbies who make comments or people who don't come here as often as regulars so that would certainly help make them aware of the forum too.

Yes, people are always going to type spoilers bc people aren't perfect. This is why reading episode comments especially before you watch isn't advisable. Having the option to hide them as you suggested may help that. Even a spoiler warning just for episode comments may be a good idea too bc the mods can't catch everything and spoilers are more common there.
Read more

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@rickgrimesrocks Thanks for sharing your ideas and words. It's a breath of fresh air to be able to discuss anything on here without arguing or insulting.

I hope other members (both regulars and new ones) come forth to share their thoughts and opinions. I actually look forward to it especially from new members.

To those who read this but are not signed up as a member, please do so and join in all the fun here on TM!

Have a blessed day/night !

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@rickgrimesrocks Thanks a million. You're a mighty member to have on board and I encourage you to share more.

smiley

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@ Well thank you so much. That's such a nice compliment. I think you are a mighty moderator too!

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@rickgrimesrocks That's very kind of you.

I'm just a member, like you, you know that. smiley

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@3UN01A Regarding there not being as many reviews. I've noticed that replies no longer show up on the home page, at least for movies, not sure about tv shows but it's probably the same. This may be a reason you are seeing this.

Report comment
(4y)

@rickgrimesrocks Yes, I think it looks better now.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil I bet it cuts down on people jumping into a discussion/argument between other users too.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@rickgrimesrocks We monitor our statistics, and the number of comments haven't changed, actually it's increasing. The quality of reviews is also better now.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@3UN01A No, replies are hidden now. That's why you see less posts.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil I appreciate your reply and love that replies are now hidden.

Thanks a bunch! xoXo smiley

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil One more thought and then I'll stop...maybe lol. If you don't want those short reviews how about making a length requirement. Like a review must be ### characters long before you can hit the submit button.

+1

senior master
Report comment
(4y)

Thank Gawd!

This will definitely improve the review section but also will be lots of work to delete all of the useless, off-topic, short + reviews.

Awesome Update - Cheers!

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

the quality of reviews is also better now - i figured maybe the end of GoT was a special occasion, but still...

𝐆𝐎𝐃𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐒 (1wk)
smiley GOT damn the end to one of the best series ever, is finally here! smiley
Must watch now - before [SPOILER]
spoilers
are everywhere!
smiley

+3

Hide 9 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd Bad example lol

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil psh - what? it was a comment before they had even seen the episode¯\_(ツ)_/¯wtvr...

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd They are a bit psychic.

And no ... I did spell it correctly.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd It's off topic (not about the episode) and provocatively argumentative adding nothing to the discussion about the episode. It should be removed as there are many other comments that are about the episode and not about "other people".

You are correct.

Thank you.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@ its essentially an "i'm first" comment. think i know why she blocked me again too... smiley

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd Well, blocking is a whatever kinda thing. FOR ME, it speaks more about the person as even those who have hated me and wanted me GONE I have not blocked.

However, comments that are NOT about the film/series should not be there once other comments are there.

In this case, there are many supporting comments that are controversial and engaging and aren't specifically about other members and their comments only.

Plenty of hot to stir the post without unnecessary off topic comments, in other words.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd Why the hell would you read the episode comments before watching or write a comment before watching anyway?? Makes no freakin sense to me. If you read the episode comments before hand you will more than likely run into a spoiler. Is it only me that thinks this is just common sense?

Of course we should make all efforts to cover spoilers but people aren't perfect and it's gonna happen. So why go read comments that you know might contain spoilers and then complain about it?

I am of course just talking about EPISODE comments, not movie reviews. Movie reviews are different, it makes sense to read those before watching.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@rickgrimesrocks sometimes before watching something, i skip down to see how people are liking it or not. i have done this for both movies and tv episodes.

your perspective on them makes perfect sense, and so does mine. we simply have a different preference.

if you look again, my only complaint was - as the commenter herself said, she had not yet seen the episode and yet couldn't contain her enthusiasm for posting her feelings about it.

that is what people are supposed to do on their own personal page or wall. DrEvil would prefer users restrict their posts to reviews for what they have already seen, for the benefit of others who haven't yet. just think how it will all look in five years: do you want to see reviews, or a bunch of strangers gabbing about and infighting they carried over from another thread?

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. I wasn't inferring that you were complaining. I was talking about people in general who scream about spoilers in the episode comments.

I agree about the reviews which is why I suggested a separate area for questions and comments that aren't reviews. Also believe people should take their discussions about tv shows or movies to the forum. It's hard to get people out of a habit they have been doing for a while though, like the replying back and forth in the review area.

Again I'm sorry about the confusion. I was in no way saying you were complaining. I agree with you about the comment in your original post. smiley

+3

expert
Report comment
(4y)

How do we report mislabelled copies though? Or copies without subtitles? requests for original dub?

For example the HD copy of Alladdin 2019 is mislabelled and is not even Aladdin.

In the past, I would just comment and the issue would get fixed but now my comments like that just get deleted and the issue not fixed lol.

I am also Cantonese and I notice some of your Cantonese films are dubbed in Mandarin with no English subtitles so before the change, I'd just write in the comments the issue and it would get addressed.

For example, Project Gutenberg is a Cantonese film but for a while there were only Mainland Chinese copies dubbed in Mandarin with no English subtitles.

I wrote in the comments the issue and eventually there was an original Cantonese version of Project Gutenberg available and with Eng subs.

I prefer films in original dub and eng subs.

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@robdeniro Good links automatically go up the list. So just downvote bad links.

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil how about the dubbing and subbing issues i noted? downvoting does not specify the reasons.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil I agree with him. There should be somewhere we can address issues like that and others.

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@rickgrimesrocks Yes, maybe something lika a "community notes" section for each listing?

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@rickgrimesrocks There is. There is a reason "Report Link" - Bug Error - Where you can specify the issue with the link.

Although, it needs to be noted that when a CAM copy first arrives and it is NOT in English, then the links need to stay up until an English copy arrives.

As far as copies that are not in English and do not have HC (hard coded) Subs in English OR subtitles available, then the link should be reported, by down voting or by reporting the issue the same way or sending a report.

Links that are not in English and have non-English parts, should always be HC, not subtitled, as just subtitling would mean that EVERYTHING (including the English) will be subbed.

+1

senior master
Report comment
(4y)

i always write atleast 3 or 4 sentences i explane what i thought the movie was to me and if its any good.i would feel bad if i only leave 3 words,lol i think if you guys give us such good movies and shows to watch for free then we can atleast say a view words after watching it.so thats what ithinkand thank you all mods for keeping this site so much fun. smiley smiley

+2

master
Report comment
(4y)

I already gave my review:' ban users who continually post big non-English, posts on the forum, when we' have an ENGLISH POSTING SITE ONLY.also, posting half a page of a religious preaching, was at one time voted down by most members.--this is not a religious site.--if this person continues to break the English rule for posting, and can't stop preaching religion for half a page, i recommend that Dr. Evil ban him from posting completely.

we cannot let trolls continually post there, all kinds of crap,and put religious,non-English big posts, taking up all the bandwidth.--THIS IS A MOVIE AND T.V. SITE.

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@clarachan1355 ---IF we allow this abuse, everyone else will do it too.

Report comment
(4y)

@clarachan1355 Would you have an example of the "non-English big posts"?

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@clarachan1355 This isn't an English Language Only Site.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

any English dialogue version yet?

God
Report comment
(4y)
(edited)

IMPORTANT UPDATE
**All Members Please Read**

1. When posting reviews or replies to review comments, do not make personal attacks, inflammatory, derogatory remarks about other members, ever.

Such comments are against TOS.

They will be removed, and members will be warned and then suspended for these TOS violations.

2. Please refer/read to site TOS.

3. Please refer/read RULES for posting Reviews that are listed on every Film or Series.

4. **DO NOT post links to other series, films, or external source in your Review as these links become obsolete and are ultimately useless.**

5. Do not over use smilies I'm Reviews; e.g., " smiley BAD in every way smiley smiley ,how did it get on here smiley. "

6. Reviews that are only a few words will be deleted; e.g., "It's an ok movie", etc.

7. Please read this Faq for posting Reviews: www5.two-movies.name/faq/movie_reviews

8. Example of a basic, simple Review that anyone can write:
Read more

top expert
Report comment
(4y)

I just like leaving comments about the show, and couldn't care less about leaving actual reviews. Telling people only reviews are allowed now is a bit much.

+1

Hide 6 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@deiosa I understand why you might feel that way and I'd like to try to clarify.

It's actually something positive that every member who benefits from a free site can do to help the site.

It is essentially only changing the name from Comments to Review, and making some structure/rules around what is written because the "comments" have turned into a free for all of off topic in-fighting and personal assaults, as well as useless one word submissions like, "Great" or the like.

I understand how it might now appear as more challenging, but in reviewing the comments (now called Reviews) you personally have made in the past, they do fit the criteria for a proper review, so you really need to change nothing.

I hope that provides a bit more clarity.

smiley

+1

Report comment
(4y)
(edited)

@ My opinion of what a review is and what someone else's opinion of what a review is isn't the same, and I don't consider them actual reviews. You might or someone else might, but I don't.

What a site I use, MAL (My Anime List), does is have sub-forums for the different shows where the users can have discussions about the show. I'm not entirely sure how they structure their forums, but the different shows have their own sub forums. I'll leave a link to show what I mean, it also should explain why I don't consider my comments to be reviews. The sub-forums for the show are at the bottom listed as discussions and the reviews are half-way down.

myanimelist.net/anime/37651/Fate...

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@deiosa We used to have such structure with forums, didn't work for us... But thanks anyway.

+2

Report comment
(4y)
(edited)

@deiosa I understand.

I was actually saying something else in terms of responding to your first post.

It sounded like you felt you had to change something you're doing in writing your comment/review.

I was [attempting to] clarify that you don't need to change what you're doing,

The the word "review" is more of a name change only not (entirely) the formal structure you are feeling it is (or proposing from the link you provided).

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@ Not proposing, just explaining where my difference of opinion was coming from.

Report comment
(4y)

@deiosa No worries 👍

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,649 reviews • 122,383 films • 18,475 TV series