This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,739 reviews
122,398 films • 18,478 TV series

I have a disease with a funny name, do you? (885 views, 32 replies)

This topic has been closed.

expert
Report comment
(5y)

I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS) type H.M.(III) with traits of Vascular EDS....I am basically Gumbi with alot of pain and injuries. I have a genetic defect in Tenascin X, that makes all my collagen (the glue in the human body) stretchier, and more fragile. I have really awesome scars, I have dislocations and injuries,premature aging, vascualar issues. Ive learned with rare diseases, there are always weirder ones, anyone wanna share?

+3

Hide 1 reply...

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

Hi, I find all this kinda stuff fascinating. when I was at Uni ( dental student) my favourite subject was oral med and how certain diseases manifested symptoms or signs in the oral cavity. My brother had something called Ameloblastomas over 30 of them when he was a young boy. Theses are quite rare especially at his age. In addition they are more likely to grow around the molar area but he had them throughout his mouth. when he grew up he then he married someone who had her own issues. She had hypodontia ( none of her permanent teeth at all just her baby ones) which normally comes with an underlying disease which she didnt have. so this was quite rare too considering she was a healthy person. Partial anadontia ( a few second teeth missing is common but not having any at all is not so much) this stuff all peaked my interest in dentistry and was one of the reasons i decided to study down this route.
Unfortunately thats about as weird as it gets with us.
I do not know much about Ehlers Danlos Syndrome as Have never met a patient with it. although I have heard of it.
Read more

+2

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@laylaandpaz It is a good thing she didn't have what this girl had
dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Teeth_2008....
lol

Report comment
(5y)

@Teeny💋 Ha ha .. My god yeah..lol

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@laylaandpaz I lost a lot of adult teeth on one side(although it doesn't show)due to "infected and damaged root canals"which they could not even FIND EASILY. We thought it was my sinus.I went to a local"major bone-and-tooth surgeon," who took some bone out.it took years to get over.The BONE was infected.

Yeah, good old ROOT CANALS can go bad.Now I have a regular dentist,and it is worth the money.-Those couple of years were horrible.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 I've had a bad root canal, I know your pain, afterwards the dentist I went rubbed my gum above it and you could hear the bone crunch. I had to get a sizeable piece of bone removed after that root canal.

God
Report comment
(5y)

I don't think mine is that strange of a name but does have strange symptoms for a disease. I have Grave's Disease, it came with my hyperthyroidism. It is an autoimmune disease in which the immune system attacks the body itself. I have had my thyroid killed. I had to take radiation pills that when the nurse brought to me, they were in this thick metal container and she backed of the room and told me to open the container and take the pills. Scary Huh? I then had to stay away from children and pets for 2 days bc I was radioactive. I had to flush the toilet 2x every time I used it and I had to wash my own plates and utensils. Talk about feeling like you have cooties...lol. I still have Grave's which can cause your eyes to bulge out (my great aunt had it and sneezed and one of her eyes popped out of the socket) Luckily I caught mine in time for my eyes to not bulge like that. The disease also makes you argumentative and irritable. So I guess anytime I am a b**ch I can just blame it on my Grave's Disease. ...
Read more

God
Report comment
(5y)

I have empty Sella Syndrome...but mine is a little different. It's not cerebral fluid depressing my Pituitary.... my pituitary is simply gone. Doctors believe that a tumor destroyed it, then my body destroyed the tumor. All of my hormones are off. I take human growth hormone, Levothyroxine, hydrocortisone, testosterone, a high dose of vitamin D , which is a hormone. I have trouble with blood pressure, and I have bradycardia. Killer headaches. That's just for starters. There's a lot more symptoms, and medication involved. I've had this about twenty years.

+2

Hide 10 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe Wow. I've never even heard of this before. No pituitary gland? That's the master gland, ie; it controls all aspects of the endocrine system. God love ya. Has your body done anything else amazing (since it destroyed the tumor you apparently had, which is huge kudos to your somehow having a very strong immune system that fought very hard... but besides that? Has your body done things that no one expected in learning to regulate itself differently? I am sorry for your headaches and any other of you aches and pains. Chronic pain really stinks, big time. I hope my question doesn't seem cavalier. I mean it with the utmost respect. :)

Report comment
(5y)

@ LOL!...I'll send you a PM later!

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe Ok, fair play.

I was funny?

I wasn't trying to be funny.

smiley smiley

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@ No...you weren't funny...but it's ok to be. I laugh a lot about all of my illnesses. They seem a bit excessive!

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe Ah, ok.

Well, I firmly believe in laughter. It's definitely gotten me through some very dark situations and days.

:)

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe I take the levothyroxine as well. It really is a difficult life when all your hormones are off balance. Since my graves disease affects than and then having to have a hysterectomy at 27 for endometriosis, my body doesn't produce estrogen, progesterone or testosterone. I have to take estrogen shots every 3 weeks just to feel somewhat normal. I couldn't keep taking the testosterone though bc it has its own set of side effects the reek havoc for a woman. I don't know what I will do one day when they decide I've been taking Hrt (Hormone Replacement Therapy) for too long. I would literally feel 3x my age if I didn't have them now.
I have literally never heard of a missing Pituitary though...that is crazy, probably makes you feel crazy as well

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

Positive PL7 antisynthetase syndrome - Antisynthetase syndrome is a rare autoimmune disease characterized by interstitial lung disease and/or inflammatory myositis, with positive antisynthetase antibodies. Mine comes with the myositis. smiley

+2

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Amiee Everyone gets a gift...right?

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe YES!!! It's like my birthday all year around lol.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Amiee LOL! I'm glad you have a sense of humor!

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@Amiee One of my childhood friends had AS, as well as Cystic Fibrosis.

I don't know you, but I feel safe saying you are a VERY brave person.

Report comment
(5y)

@ much love, thank you

+3

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

Wow .. sh*t guys , I thought I was having it rough with a second blood clot just diagnosed. The endocrine disorders (teeny and bondojoe) i learnt quite a bit about those. Its crazy that if one of those hormones is not being produced /over produced it throws the whole system out. Its like a cascade /domino effect which I think starts at the pituitary and then downwards to all the other endocrine organs etc. well, you should know and will be the experts as you are living it, not me. ive heard of pituitary tumors etc and their effects but never of an absent one.
Ive never heard of what @Amiee has. I'm going to look it up.
I'm totally fascinated by anything to do with the body and physiology and pathology etc. Interesting stuff. Our bodies are amazing when they work that is. Ive realised as im getting older though how easy it is for them to screw up too. Wish I had looked after myself a bit more in my younger years. I feel like since ive got to my 40s its going right down bloody hill. lol.
Read more

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@laylaandpaz What i've found that works better than anything is the right diet, good supplements, and as much exercise as you can tolerate. Stick to a schedule.

+1

master
Report comment
(5y)

Yes,laylaandpz and bondojoe, that sounds terrible.I found out,hormonal problems are some of the very WORST PROBLEMS. --I have a good friend in another state,she has"Cushing's Disease."--also COPD,and diabetes.(also "lipodema"(not sure of spell.)The disease is a result of the pituitary gland is sick or damaged.She cannot control her BODY WEIGHT.

You folks with autoimmune diseases,and hormonal problems have my sympathy.Yeah,those seem to be some of the worst to treat.My friend with Cushings'has been 700 lbs.at one time.Dieting,meds,there's hardly any good treatment.

We have a lot in common,so we email & phone,talk.She's very intelligent,and talented,and really a strong person.-I really admire her.She had to diagnose it herself,and the doctors admit she's correct.

But those of you who have these type of complex medical problems,its very unfair.. It often makes me not believe in God.--(I got off somewhat easier,I get "bad headaches" and "physiological mood imbalance."My BRAIN doesn't work right.-Its a big pain in the butt.I have to take medicine for it.(I'm old,so I take small amt.of Levothyroxine, doses now too.- yes,I'm lucky I only have "brain-chemical-imbalance."
Read more

+2

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 EVERYONE has a vitamine D deficiency...they just don't know it.

+2

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

I give you all a hug! smiley That's the closet emoji I could find for a hug, but it has beer! ;)

+5

God
Report comment
(5y)

Yes with the Synthroid for my grave's if it is off one way or the other it messes everything up, I can gain weight and be lethargic if I go into hypo and if it goes the other direction into hyper I can lose weight, have hair loss, heart palpitations. It really sucks bc my insurance doesn't cover to an Endocrinologist so I've had a regular GP watching it and they don't always know about adjusting the dose right.
I did want to say THANK YOU to everyone that shared their personal diseases, it makes me feel less alone about my own issues. So thank you smiley smiley smiley smiley

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,739 reviews • 122,398 films • 18,478 TV series