This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,387 reviews
122,276 films • 18,454 TV series

Home made recipes. (1148 views, 21 replies)

This topic has been closed.

God
Report comment
(6y)

Need a recipe/method for the making/cooking of thease ingredients. <br> <br> 750gr Best steak mince. -5% <br> Red (the best) potatoes...not the water filled crap ones they sell too often thease days. <br> Got some frozen veg = carrot,celery,swede,turnip, and onion...Which i have not used in a stew before and yes that is the type of thing i will be making. <br> Got gravy,stock cubes and stock. <br> Lot of dried herbs and stuff - spices. <br> @payno All yours. ;) <br> <br> Going to peel the spuds now, look forward to a good recipe from you, thanks in advance. ;) smiley <br> <br> Edit. Will be using a 3Ltr and 2Ltr pans, with the intent of making up 4Ltrs finished result. :) <br> <br>

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 Buy a slow, cooker throw it all in the crock, switch on, go do stuff come back after 6-8 hours and enjoy smiley

+1

Report comment
(6y)

@Mykee83 <br> Ye but i was starting from scratch, no recipe (and 1st time using froze veg) so using a slow cooker would have been stupid & a possible disaster. <br> If i was to make it up again with the use of a slow cooker i would still aft to finish the last part off and remember i had no idea that the spuds would turn out so well. <br> Thanks all the same. ;) <br>

Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 Relax, I was just poking fun. I never use a recipe for slow cooker stuff lol, just grab random stuff, throw it in and then switch it on. haven't screwed anything up so far.

top expert
Report comment
(6y)

with that I would make a Cumberland pie (cottage pie with cheese on top) <br> brown the mince fry the onion off <br> you can add the swede and carrots if you like mix all the above together and add some stock made from the cubes and you may want to use corn flour to thicken taste and add salt if needed then boil the potatoes and make some mash with real butter pinch of salt n pepper <br> let the mince cool for a bit the assemble grate cheese on top and put in oven at 180 for 20-30 mins <br> eat belch then fall asleep in front of the PC or TV smiley

Hide 10 replies...
Report comment
(6y)

@payno Must be a stew of some sort. <br> Please give times = browning mince with black pepper and stuff like that. ;) <br>

Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 the mince stew is the same as the cottage pie filling above <br> you just cook it longer on the hob about 20-30 mins as mince cooks quite quick <br> to brown mince you fry it until its no longer pink and turned brown you can add garlic when frying the onions for extra flavour and you can still have the mash on the side or even cheesy mash if you like

Report comment
(6y)

@payno Would have liked some recommend,s on what herbs (not tried before) to put in it. <br> So for = fried mince with diced onion + sea salt + black pepper and a stock cube. <br> Then i boiled the mince for over a hour. Yet to had the spuds has my back is killing after peeling them lol. <br> Do have a old handwritten (from someone) recipe from years back...which i have just torn up so i can see what i can do from trial and error, are what someone on here suggest. <br> <br> Will update. :) <br> <br>

+1

Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 well you never said you had any herbs I would use a few bay leaves and a few sprigs of thyme all fresh from the garden if possible <br> other herb's like rosemary and sage are to strong for what you are cooking <br> <br> EDIT remember to remove the bay leaves before you eat smiley <br> <br> there are other herbs you can use but they make you smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

Report comment
(6y)

@payno ***Lot of dried herbs and stuff - spices.*** Above. <br> <br> Put the diced spuds in with > white pepper + rosemary, " a herb i'm not to keen on " (keep confusing it with thyme) + thyme + a little mint and sage and worcester sauce, we can not leave that one out in the UK lol. <br> <br> Now, the potatoes being " reds " should take a while to soften, if they break up i will be peed. <br> <br> Forgot about the bay leaves but they don't seem a good mix and are a lot of pi*sing about. <br> <br> Yet to add the frozen veg, will update. ;) <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br>

Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 <br> Update: <br> The potatoes have softened and completely held their shape, as reds should ;), did cut some small to be on the safe side, also held back a handful are so to be sure (been added has well), put about 1 1/2 pounds (about 700 gr) of the frozen veg straight into the pans instead of defrosting (heating up) in the microwave to enhance the flavor i hope, all i need to do now is simmer for about 30 mins and then had some " Bisto " gravy granules (which are very good) and maybe some more white pepper, the mince has clumped a bit (not free flow), proves how lean it is though, one last thing i have filled the pans to the very top and should easily get 4 1/2 liter + stew/hotpot from this. <br> <br> <br> <br>

Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 so you will be eating this for the next few days then smiley

+1

Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 Final update: <br> The potatoes held their shape after being boiled (on simmer mostly) in the pan for over 3 hours smiley, total cooking time from start to finish about 5 hours, over 1 hour of that was reducing it by about 1/2 liter to try/make a little thicker because the potatoes did N smiley T dissolve any, and i do like it a little thicker. <br> <br> The frozen veg (not used before) turned out to be a little gem. <br> Only used " 1 " stock (beef) cube* at the start - added to the mince* with the salt as already mentioned and a " tiny " bit of salt at the end with some more white pepper, new/guessed i would be adding some more, did not start to taste test (so to speak) until the near end when i started adding the Bisto* gravy granules - which was over (about 6 oz) 150 grams smiley , suprised about that (too damn tasty), the reason i added this brand & type is because i had only just started using thease (2nd jar) for gravy and was very impressed with the meaty taste to them. <br> <br> *Steak mince - turned out to be " very " lean, no grissel noticed after eating about 1 1/2 kgs (about 3 Lbs) last night into the morning lol. <br> Did not have any fresh baked crusty bread at hand, which would have made it more filling (go further) for me.smiley smiley <br> <br> *Stock cube - you may want to take note of the fact, that there are 30% salt hmm food for thought. <br> <br> *Bisto gravy granules - this is the first time i have done a stew/hot pot that after cooled off, there was " NO " skin on the top at all, totally zero. ...
Read more

+1

Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 5 hours to cook a mice meat stew is 4 hours to long (not very energy efficient) <br> you should fry the mince as it improves the flavour (tastes more meaty ) this can be done in a non stick pan if you want to keep fat content low as you don't need to use any oil <br> <br> other than that it sound very good next time try shin of beef as that will need to be cooked for 5 hours (best done in a slow cooker as there very energy efficient and cheap to buy ) <br> <br> big respect to the up coming chef smiley smiley smiley smiley

Report comment
(6y)

@payno Again, you are not reading what i have posted from the top/down. <br> <br> Hi used 3 layer sandwich based 18/10 stainless pans with glass lids and stainless knobs. <br> <br> 1)No way would that (very lean) mince had sealed and browned with out cooking oil, just would have clumped into " burnt " meat balls and that,s using the named pans. <br> 2)The mince should be boiled in the water (and used for the rest of the stew) added to soften and i guess infuse what i added to it at the start (fried mince with diced onion + sea salt + black pepper and a stock cube added). <br> 3)A part of the cooking time was reducing. e.g Last hour to take 1/2 liter of water out, how i wanted it - has mentioned. <br> 4)Did ask for advice on using frozen veg hmm. <br> 5)Did i mention how happy :) i was with the outcome of the potatoes. <br> <br> So for eaten 3/4 rs of it and only found """ one """ piece of gristle stuck in the middle of the teeth. ...
Read more

top expert
Report comment
(6y)

or you can make the students favourite mince n potato curry

top expert
Report comment
(6y)

I have a few recipes for mince cannelloni is nice n easy and makes a change from lasagne or spaggbol

master
Report comment
(6y)

I love a good thick soup or stew, I have no idea what Swede or Mince is. I bet it is good though. You have aroused my cooking side. I love to cook anyway. Gonna go get something started and make my house toasty and smelling wonderful. For May it is cold here in the IL. USA. It has rained for days. Soup or stew is a good fix for these days.

+1

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(6y)

@fortunate1 mince is ground beef <br> swede I believe you lot call a yellow turnip or rutabaga

+1

Report comment
(6y)

@payno I kind of figured mince was ground something lol.I no idea on the swede. I ended up making chili and chicken stew. Today the leftover stew will meet a crust and become potpie!

God
Report comment
(6y)

@payno <br> Know the spuds were not for egg chips (yum), making the same as above again. ;) <br> Just waiting to add the frozen mix veg,gravy granules and some white pepper, then all done, should taste the same as last time smiley i hope. smiley smiley

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 Update: <br> Added one more stock (2 intotal) cube to the mince with a pinch of garlic granules and cracked black and white pepper, did not try and skim any fat (tasted a little meatier) of the water this time when boiling the mince. Put one 3rd of the frozen (used about 100gr more as well) veg in near the end of cooking, which left the stew a little more thicker and some of the veg was more firmer (and more finished product) without reducing has much. <br> <br> Put the gray granules in at the end again with white " and " black pepper, made up over 4 1/2 ltr+ and took less than 3 hours to cook from start to finish, was in no rush, it did feel like i had been cooking it a lot longer, that might have been down to the fact i was sober this time lol. <br> <br> Taste just as nice as the first lot, now i'm trying to find the freezer room for it lol. ...
Read more

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,387 reviews • 122,276 films • 18,454 TV series