This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,695 reviews
122,387 films • 18,475 TV series

Do you go to the cinema? (3959 views, 106 replies)

This topic has been closed.

admin
Report comment
(5y)

Some say that people who prefer pirated content don't watch movies in the cinema. smiley
Do you go to the cinema? How often? smiley

+7

Hide 30 replies...

@Dr.Evil Never, between here and Netflix (I prefer this site) I'd rather avoid the cost and the smelly, noisy people in the cinemas... :)

And I can eat, drink & smoke whatever I like, when I want to.

Besides here in Toronto, it's the worst city for bed bugs and they love places like cinemas.... smiley

+9

Report comment
(5y)

@𝓜𝓸𝓾𝓼𝓮*🐭 bed bugs in Toronto?we were always told,Toronto was a clean,modern big city,i always wanted to see it;best place in Canada,the French-speaking areas?(french FOOD?see,I travel according to the FOOD IN COUNTRIES,HA HA.NO,always wanted to go to
Quebec,eat food,wanted to know,"do i need French there?--got name of good tourist sites for Can ada,anyone thanks)

@clarachan1355 Bed bugs don't care if you are dirty or clean, I have a millionaire friend who had bed bugs because his partner travels for a living. They thrive in hotels and places where people come and go. I've been to his house, beautiful, clean and a mansion.... It cost him $3000.00 to get rid of the critters.

But yes, Toronto is a wonderful place to visit, much to see and do as well :)
And no it's not necessary to speak French here.

Here is an article about the bed bug stats:

www.markhamwildliferemoval.com/t...

Report comment
(5y)

@𝓜𝓸𝓾𝓼𝓮*🐭 We found them in DisneyWorld, (staying at one of their hotels) happened to see it crawling on the bed, lifted the mattress and there was about 6 more! Got out of their fast.......ugh

Report comment
(5y)

@𝓜𝓸𝓾𝓼𝓮*🐭 What She Said! Here! Here!

+1

@WEBHEAD🕸️ Aww, thanx Buddy smiley smiley

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@𝓜𝓸𝓾𝓼𝓮*🐭 Too noisy in cinemas. I fully enjoy staying home and watching all my movies. If I missed something just rewind. smiley

+1

@WEBHEAD🕸️ Yes exactly, usually I have a few interruptions... phone ringing, doing laundry and all those fun domestic chores, so pausing is a necessity.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil A Cinema? Do they still have those? I thought they were mythical places like phone booths.

+5

Report comment
(5y)

@hotrodall OMG I saw a phone booth the other day and jumped in excitement, I couldn't believe it. Although it probably didn't work.

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Yes, but not as often as I’d like to. I quite often seem to miss what I want to see when it comes to the theatre here. I don’t mind spending the money at all, as I love movies, and that would come out of whatever my entertainment budget is. I don’t have a lot of costly hobbies, so I feel that’s like a hobby in a way. I will watch movies and a good series any way I can get it whether it’s Netflix, YouTube, CraveTV, pirated streaming, theatres or sometimes even iTunes. I don’t have cable TV, and haven’t had it for about 8 years, so I make up for it through specific apps, theatres, and “borrowing”, lol.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil When I want to see a "blockbuster", something with MASSIVE special effects and CGI ... I go to the cinema. With anything else (that's most movies) I either watch "pirated content" or simply wait till it's picked up by one of the streaming services. Some films DEMAND you watch in a theatre and with some the smaller the screen the better,

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil If nobody went to the cinema then we would never have those awesome early CAM versions of films to watch ;)

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A That is very true. I have watched people record at a premier. Apart from the popcorn trick, I'd love to pull out the live chicken.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@ginger666 LOL@live chicken :D

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A NO DOUBT!

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil I don't go to the movies , the cost of tickets are too high ,plus the popcorn is about as much as the tickets. I have not been to the movies over 12 years

Report comment
(5y)

@gregsohappy You look like popcorn fan

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil I do have a membership for MoviePass but I don't usually use it. Most of my friends are old now and have families that they do things with and I'm not one to do much of anything by myself. But sometimes I will.

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Not unless my son bugs me to go see the latest Marvel or Transformer.

Otherwise, 99% it pirated since I first found out about it in 2006.

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil not any more it cost to much i go here and netflix and amazon prime i hardly watch tv i like this site because i can watch older movies 50s-80s

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Never. Couldn't pay me to. It's probably been about 10 years since I have! :P

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Hi :) I am just curious to know since many others have answered your question - including myself...

Do you, DrEvil, go to you Cinema? How often? If not , why? When was last time?

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil I do go about 10x a year. But I expect more bang for my buck. 3D is really awesome!! I enjoy the whole experience. I try to reach out and touch .. something.. for no reason. I love movies so much that would never be enough. I do appreciate all I can get from bootleggers, that's what it was called... back in the day. Everyone can enjoy at their own pace and price range. At Baker Street the cinema does fine dining, The Great Gatsby was there. La La Land we saw in San Fran with comfy lazyboy recliners.. I fell asleep, my daughter woke me up.. twice.. My local, East Dulwich Playhouse has couches.

I sneaked into the cinema when I was well underage.. (I saw the The Jerk 5x when I was maybe 12. Rated R, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, The first 4 Jason movies... still underage).. Risky Business was a first date movie. I don't think my fondness will ever falter. ...
Read more

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Dr. Evil,
I do not go to the movies, or cinema. It's been 30- years since I did!
I don't have cable. Netflix, TwoMovies, and the internet is all I need!
Bedbugs, and ridiculous prices have kept me far away from those places!
TragicMouse has it right!

+2

@Bill45a Yep with you all the way :) smiley

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Weekly, at least 3 moviesper week.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil I don't prefer pirated content, I prefer content that is affordable and convenient unless it's something I really want to watch in the theater which is neither affordable nor convenient. Redbox is affordable and convenient, but a limited selection usually to new releases.

If the movie industry wants people to watch movies in the theater they need to make it affordable.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@deiosa Good said

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil I go about every 2 weeks

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

Nope smiley Was only once there and that was 15+ years ago smiley

+3

senior guru

I do, not very often, but if there is a movie that I have been really looking forward to I go.
I also love sci-fi, and I think it's a genre that really does need to be seen on the big screen- especially if it has scenes of space travel.
It's a bit of a tradition that Son and I go to see the new Star Trek moves as and when they are released at the cinema.

There are lot of movies that I would never have gone to the cinema to watch (or missed because the downside of the cinema is things are time limited) but ended up loving them, and without being able to watch online just would not see at all.
And of those there a some that I have then bought so that I can watch in HD or blue ray.

I think watching movies online is similar to listening to music on the radio - if you see/hear something that you like you'll probably want your own copy.

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ yes, good sci-fi demands good viewing.true!!

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

I have a 2-for-1 pass at my local cinema and we usually go to the first showing on a weekday so it's pretty empty. Some films are worth seeing on the big screen.

+5

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale I totally agree! Just haven't found any since Titanic that was worth it.

Report comment
(5y)

@sunshinedaydreams When Titanic was out I had an annual pass to a cinema in the city. I went to see it 4 times. I was obsessed with the history, the love story sucked! I was a nursing mother at the time so baby had to come along, too lol.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale Yea I saw it probably 5x that I payed hard earned cash for. Loved every minute of that movie,. And I did Love the love in the movie. But I had a big time crush on Leo so, ya know! :)I even bought the soundtrack LOL man o man, and I never do that for movies. Good stuff.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@sunshinedaydreams THAT'S IT!!NO GOOD MOVIES that demand a theater.I went -long ago to "art houses"which was more comfy and better movies--still think that.foreign,avant garde,good candy or coffee,small theaters--seniors like afternoon,empty bargain matinees,smaller, still good idea.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

No, I do not like going to cinemas AT ALL. Last I was there, I was nine. Never again!

+1

master
Report comment
(5y)

One of the last times I went to the movies I had to wait through a psa made by rapists about respecting women. When Kevin Spacey and Harvey Weinstein scold me for something I haven't done they lose a lot of my business.

+4

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@BrunoAxemaker hmm...i don't blame you.also,had to set thru ADS!!ADS IN MOVIE THEATER?SHIT!!and "coming attractions " and NO CARTOONS.I miss the cartoons.(which i now watch on tv.--go figure,its all screwey!!

Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 If I have to watch ads the prices should go down. I don't pay more to see ads.

The only thing that has gotten better in the movies is the seating and that's always better at home anyway.

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

We have memberships and it's kind of been a long time tradition for us to go to the Cinemas as it's location is around the corner from home. It's also by the Beach near all our favourite places so it's convenient and fun. Also, the one we go to has live bands, outdoor patio + bar with several entertainment venues so that is always a bonus which makes the experience more than just seeing a movie.

+1

Hide 7 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A wow, its made "pleasant" not a "task",no wonder,i'd go there. :)

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 Yes, it is quite the experience and well worth it when you have all that entertainment in one place and one night. As for bed bugs in Toronto... that is not true at all. This city is known for being clean and all you have to do is look it up - Top 3-5 cities in the World. We had a bed bug issues like a decade ago for a short amount of time due to our direct connection to New York but that is old history.

Do visit here in the future and Montreal as well. Both are very beautiful places and extremely different from one another. If you ever need tips on Toronto, just message me.

Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A Funny you say that, because that is the one word I remember thinking and telling people, Toronto is cleanest city I've ever seen. LOL

Report comment
(5y)

@sunshinedaydreams LOL it really is though. it's only when I began to travel that I really appreciated and noticed how clean our city actually is.

@clarachan1355 As you can see (if you Google Bed Bugs Toronto 2018) you can see the person above this is clearly not telling the truth, I do, and the stats prove what I'm saying. There are methods to avoid these problems thankfully.

If you are careful, it isn't a problem though, you really should visit here when you can :)

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A That sounds super rad. I might even enjoy going to a theater if the set up was that rad.

Report comment
(5y)

@v(-_-]v Oh you would! if it was not the way it is here, I would not go as often that is for sure.

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

Last time was in 2015,a few of my girlfriends and I were taking our friend out for her birthday,we went to see Sicario, and decided to make it a night, so we went into Boston,Mass.(we all live in New Hampshire) after the movie we hit a few clubs in Boston, no one could drive back, so we had to spend the night at a Ramada Inn. Lol, it was fun though.

+1

master
Report comment
(5y)

I don't go often but yes I go sometimes when the movie is worth seeing on the big screen. I went and saw Avengers: Infinity War. Before that was probably some animated movie when my kids were little like 7 or 8 years ago. If there weren't sites like this, I probably still wouldn't go to the theater that often so it's not like they are losing my business bc of this site though.

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@rickgrimesrocks last movie i saw was
"Austrailia",not very good,that did it,too much trouble for not-good film.

expert
Report comment
(5y)

Barely ever. It's too costly. I don't pirate everything, but I make sure that my media purchases are cheap.

God

I rarely go to the cinema anymore, but it has nothing to do with pirated movie sites. I've only been like 3 times in the last 6-7 years and that was only because my sister didn't want to go alone. I'd rather stayy my happy ass at home and watch my own movie with my own junk food and my own cold cokes instead of paying $9.50 admission, $8-14 for a popcorn &drink combo and not to mention the right arm, soul and first born child they want for candy too. Nah, I'll take my pirated movies... Gladly.

+1

expert
Report comment
(5y)

I go often, we still have a drive-in smiley

+2

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@suzieloves3 I have never been to a drive-in but always wanted to go. We no longer have them here so I am jealous of you right now :) I would go often if I could - you're so lucky!

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A Oh jeez, they're a lot of fun. If you ever travel somewhere that has one, do make sure to try a visit! We just lost ours a few years ago :'(

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@v(-_-]v Oddly, I have never thought to look for them when I have traveled but now that you have mentioned it I will. I remember my parents would always tell me stories of their experiences when drive-ins were a thing back in the day... oh how nice it would be to travel back in time ;)

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

Not very often. It has to be for a movie that I am really very interested in for me to go. The cost of the movies is not that bad but the cost of popcorn and drinks is just plain ridiculous! It cost more for the drinks and popcorn than the movie tickets! smiley

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@Stephen386 I used to hit up the grocery store before the movie. And bring my own raisonettes lol way cheaper.

Report comment
(5y)

New movies are not very good. so I don't go. Hollywood is brain dead and social issue based. They are mostly remaking movies from years ago or they use same theme and just change actors.

+2

God
Report comment
(5y)

No and I can't even remember the last movie I saw in theaters.

+2

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

I saw Titanic - does that count?

+1

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@..box.. I was gonna say the same thing LOL ok well actually Avatar for the rip off amount of 50.00 ticket. But I didn't pay for that one. That was a 200.00 dollar movie for my family. Crazy parents!

Report comment
(5y)

@..box.. lol funny

master
Report comment
(5y)

Not since they started shooting them up!

+1

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Perhaps eight years, I find them to be so bad, (boring remakes and long running series), that when given a movie card as a gift I usually give it away.

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

Not at all.I like it at home.

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

no need to smiley when u have this site and the comfort of ur own home why waste ur money when u have everything on here smiley smiley

+1

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

I am shocked at the amount of members who prefer to never go to the cinema smiley

+1

Hide 6 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A Yes, I was as well. I would expect movies to be a common hobby here.

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@That_Joe_Dude Exactly my thoughts from a movie site of members that never go to the movies is odd ...I do understand that the majority of films produced are not worth paying for and it can be costly to go if you're paying full price but at least once in a while is a must IMO ;) yet a lot don't mind CAM versions of films lol

Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A I certainly mind CAM versions, I just don't enjoy the experience at most movie theaters. Mostly it's the fact you mentioned about most films not being worth it these days. Man, I long for the 90's.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@v(-_-]v I don't really care if they are worth it. They kill time and give me something to do for a couple of hours.

I'm pretty easily pleased as well so it's rare that I'll ever walk out of a movie unhappy.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@That_Joe_Dude I concur! It is about an experience and what would life be if we all stayed indoors all of the time. It seems to be the thing nowadays everyone prefers the comfort of their homes TOO much in my opinion anyways. technology is amazing but has conditioned too many people in so many negative ways.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@v(-_-]v I never watch CAM versions to be honest, at least not since Kazaa back in 2003 LOL and yes I too miss the 90's so much. Toonie Tuesdays was the thing here - $2 movies and fast-food to sneak in. ;)

expert
Report comment
(5y)

I love the cinema experience and go when I can BUT the cost is prohibitive especially if you take the whole family and god forbid they want a drink or food !!!

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@Nobend It's easier just to sneak food in.

+1

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Last time i was at the cinema i yanked a guys phone from him and threw it at the wall.
'ring ring , "awrite mate. Am good just " ... "oi , ma phone!!!"

Apparently this is not an acceptable thing to do on a date. Who knew?

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@Mark83x In my defense . Solo just got tossed in the pit with chewy

master
Report comment
(5y)

true,we went to old drive-ins, more fun.movie theatres not fun now,expensive,AND FOUL PEOPLE AND CROWDS!!-i found,people are kept home because of(1.)bad theatres,bad crowds,no ushers for crowd-control(2.)one theatre the PRINT OF MOVIE WAS BAD!!we all wanted our money back!!-hence,no movie!!"unprofessional theaters"in the 'burbs.terrible!

(3.)Lousy movies.BIG SUBJECT,CAUSE NOW kids PUT UP WITH KID-TEEN-ECT. movies----but adults sick of bad Hollywood.--we rent,stay home,read books,cable tv,NETFLIX--LOUSY theaters was why i went to "art theaters"smaller,different crowds,better films,NOT TOO Loud(I have very acute hearing, like a cat,if my cat hears it,i do too.--tested 3 octaves above normal hearing--or,i'm a dog.)

I read a whole article, explain WHY people,adults,deserted theaters.The ushers will not throw out talkers,disruptive people,hence theater very lousy place to go.AND TOO EXPENSIVE.for me, like "not-a-multi-plex".I would like a real beautiful old theatre,very rare.We were used to them.Theatres literally drove people away,into their homes.Add, lousy movies, exit the adults to home.Hollywood and theaters have themselves to blame.YES, PHONES,a mess.

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@clarachan1355 I love beautiful, old theaters. The kinds with gorgeous gold moulding and beautiful architecture. They play some of the best films, too!

God
Report comment
(5y)

I use to go when my son worked at AMC Theaters but only for something that you would really want to see on a big screen, something like The Meg. You know the action-packed kind that looks great on a big screen or if a really good horror movie I wanted to see was coming out. I really only did that because I could go for free when he worked there. He now works at Game Stop so no more free movies!
I WOULD MUCH RATHER WATCH MOVIE AT HOME ON MY COUCH WITH ALL MY FRIENDS HERE AT 2MOVIES.
I love this site and you too Doc smiley

+4

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

I do occasionally when favorite directors release a movie I know needs to be seen on the big screen. I'm still not keen on going because people are noisy & inconsiderate though.

+3

Report comment
(5y)

Never. I prefer at home then I can pause if I want and maybe make a coffee and not miss anything

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@AuldRaver Being able to pause and take the dog out or take a tinkle is priceless.

+1

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Don't have one here in this small town. The local theatre occasionally has a movie evening but by then I've usually seen it ( smiley )
Besides, said theatre also has arse aching seats so I don't go to the theatre as often as I might like to... only go if there is a must watch event that I'm prepared to squirm through.

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

I am lucky enough to live close to a city that hosts an international film festival which has the stars and also the unknown, up and coming directors of the future. Great opportunity to watch non-English speaking films (European, South American, Asian). Will try to get to one or two and hopefully get sratstruck by Judy Dench or Danny Devito. But it is crazy trying to get tickets especially over the internet. Fingers crossed.

+2

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

There are some movies before it comes out and ive seen the preveiws.. i say to myself.. "now this movie i have to watch in the cinemas!" and more often than not i watch here lol. But in saying that.. the last Cinema movie i watched was The Meg and before that was the Recent Avengers. So i do try.. and plus its a good outing for my wife and I. Here in NZ, I guess they're a bit more lenient on the food checks. Cause i can walk in with McDonald Combos or even KFC meals lol.. just as long as you dont flaunt it in their faces. Like chuck it all in a back pack and just carry the drinking cup in.. and another good thing about our cinemas "now" is that its more affordable now than it was about 5 years ago. The prices back then was $20 an adult and $15 for a child, not to mention their popcorns, drink and ice cream prices are right up there with their tickets. So a family movie night at the cinema back then for us was pretty well near $150 dollars. Compared to what it is now.. $8.50 set price everywhere. Top that with their nonexistence food checks?? why not?? Kids a fully grown to go out to the movies with us.. so all up.. $40.
Read more

+4

God
Report comment
(5y)

I love the cinema. Of course I go. The person who wrote whatever you read was speaking for themself, just like I'm "speaking" for myself".

I go when I can afford all the goodies that make the experience special. :) There's no rhyme or reason with me, just mood and money.

:)

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@ Bet it's more mood than money. A few totties less for a good movie. Sounds like a good deal.

master
Report comment
(5y)

Last time we went to the theatre was years ago. Cost 44 bucks for 3 tickets medium popcorns and three drinks. Kids also always want candy. Thank goodness I had a bag of M&M's in my bag. I can buy a lot of groceries with that amount. Heck that just about covers my internet bill.

Report comment
(5y)

Me and my cousin Caitlin sometimes goes when there is a really good movie out but we maybe went to 3 movies in 5 years. And we don't buy snacks just the tickets and we are less then 1,000 feet from the subway, taco bell, and pizza hut. There all in the same area and walmart is less then a half mile from there as well. All in the same side of town. So no need for snacks during the movie we just go out to eat after.

guru
Report comment
(5y)

A drive in be great, just like the old days. These young whipper snappers don't know what we know! A drive in movie with my favorite gal. Gotta leave that blank because never know!

Report comment
(5y)

Not since the mid 90's,been doing this a long time earily 90's

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Not in a lot of years. Mostly because the screen size has been halved then halved again. The cinema I went to had one screen. It was huge. When you came out it took a few minutes to adjust to the normal size of people. Now it has 4 screens and a coffee shop. The building didn't grow.
I loved cinema. When the screen could be a good 80 foot wide, the lights went dim, not so you could see the movie better, but the projector was sucking all the power. And it was only doing 25 frames per second.
Now I have a screen I run at 1920 X 1080 resolution. Sharper than the human eye. Way sharper than mine anyway. Frames per second I leave at 60, same as the power supply.
Electronics last longer if you don't push them. Besides your eyes see 25 frames/sec as motion. Would you notice a higher frame rate? Except the ugly smell of cooking electronics. As a retired electronics technician, the smell is UGLY. Some really not nice chemicals used to make this stuff.

Never been to a drive in. Scotland never had one. Weather! By the time I came here they were all closed and the local plant life was re-establishing. Screens were but steel frames. Well the bits concreted into the ground.
Read more

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

I can not recall the last movie I saw in a theatre. It costs a small fortune, it's always too cold, you can not pause, and people moving about. I always rented before I found these sites.

I do still love the drive-ins tho! Here in central PA, we still have 3 or 4!! smiley

Report comment
(5y)

I have not been to a cinema since May 2012. There is a drive-in theater about 25 miles south of where I live. We have been there a few times. After what happened in Colorado I just don't trust people anymore. I hate that, but it's true.

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,695 reviews • 122,387 films • 18,475 TV series