This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,818 reviews
122,439 films • 18,486 TV series

Apps/software I use for adware removal/scans and Malware (698 views, 14 replies)

This topic has been closed.

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)
(edited)

Some sites with streaming can leave you with bad adware and bitcoin bots (using a bit of your devices cpu to mine coin) Main ones to watch are live sports streams etc. I have had no issues with the links here from good streaming sites/servers. For This one thing I find works well is Adware Removal Tool by TSA
www.techsupportall.com/adware-re...
This is for windows
Also I use Malwarebytes as well (they also have a adware tool remover I have not tried).

I think Malwarebytes is available on most OS just google them and use there offical site.

Everyone as there favorites I am sure, the Adware removal tool as been very good though and Malwarebytes is recommended a lot as well.

Keep safe!

+9

expert
Report comment
(4y)

My ISP has a data cap on my plan and something is consuming a ton of data and I have no clue as to what it is; I'm thinking it is a bitcoin bot or something like that. Maybe there is something else; who knows.....

+3

Hide 9 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@waderex If you know how to open " Task Manager ", check what your CPU is using.

+4

Report comment
(4y)
(edited)

@waderex As PureVodka said open task manager and look what is running, I had some bitcoin bot can't remember the name running but adware removal got rid of it and malwarebytes, worth running a scan if you can't find the problem. I found Adware was in temp files (well the scan showed it). Google bitcoin malware but it slows your cpu as well as data been used. Malwarebytes is good. Have a look at there section on bitcoinminer, you won't do no harm running Malwarebytes it is trusted blog.malwarebytes.com/detections...

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@drbadass Thanks to both of you for the infor. I'll give Malwarebytes a shot. The adwware removal program found about 20 some odd pieces of junk in my system. I am just really flummoxed by the idea that I'm downloading/uploading 30 - 35 gigs of data a day according to my ISP. I'm on line a lot but even with all the time on news sites, social media, and stuff like that, it seems like a lot of data.

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@waderex Well good luck, if you are getting pop up windows opening on certain sites add a pop up blocker (firefox does not do a bad job, but chrome add a pop up blocker I use Poper Blocker). uBlock Origin is also good blocks lots of tracking cookies and loads of other things google it and if you install it it tells you what it is blocking and with both you can whitelist for sites you trust.

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@waderex News sites etc don't use much at all, streaming lots of film can but if you not changed how much you are streamung or downloading it is a lot of data. I am on unlimited and good job i am always using loads of data..

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@waderex We were losing a lot of broadband. Found it was the wifi modem, someone nearby hacked into it. A new modem with high security fixed it.

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@Buttless Interesting - I rent a modem from my ISP; I might have to call them after all....

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@waderex Worth contacting them and ruling at least you make sure.

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@Buttless Yeah heard that happens not going to say what they use to do it but heard about it on forums. It is a good point you made there..

+3

skilled
Report comment
(4y)

@waderex Pirated wifi is not uncommon, but malware may be the cause as well. I connect direct, no wifi, no router.

If you are curious as to your IN/OUT TCP/UDP traffic, this older (free) program might give you some insight as to what IP is using what, along with the actual traffic sent/rcvd.

demosten.com/showtraf/

Some of the sysinternals stuff is very handy to use for nailing down programs that access the net, too.

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...

+3

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@WAGB283 I took some networking classes a while back - was going to try and see if computers was something I was good at. I decided that I needed something easier so I got my doctorate in law. :D smiley

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@waderex I totally get that. When I first went down that road, I was presented with the three volume set of 'Internetworking with TCP/IP' (Cormer/Stevens)...may as well have been Sumerian Cuneiform, but it got easier after a (long) bit.

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@WAGB283 A lot of it was that I really didn't have the interest - never cared for subjects where there was a right answers. I always prefered philosophy and history - the answers are more grey and nuanced. Law is the same - there are basic rules that are fairly universal but when you get into the details then the rules have a lot of wiggle room. 3:-)

+3

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,818 reviews • 122,439 films • 18,486 TV series