This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,695 reviews
122,385 films • 18,475 TV series

YOU wanna go deep on machine learning and AI? Why is chat GPT a dimwit? (864 views, 66 replies)

This topic has been closed.

master
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

Now that chat GPT, Google Bard AI, Chatsonic and let`s say a few dozen other major publically available AIs pop up to change our lives: Hey, whats that all based on, what are the theories of machine learning, which models are used and why is linguistics a lot more than an online toy.

On recommendation of my older sister (she is a prof. for computer linguistics in Dublin) i found this absolutely mind blowing channel on youtube:

Machine Learning Street Talk mostly consists of a series of (as of now) 110 videos and interviews with the persons, scientists and developers that actually constructed the very fundaments of it all.

+4

master
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

The link to the channel overview is:
www.youtube.com/@MachineLearning...

The team interviewed nearly all persons making the who is who in linguistic and computational science, e.g. amongst and above all a special with noone less then NOAM CHOMSKY, Godfather of linguistics and one of the most important intellectuals of the 20th (and 21st) century.
#78 - Prof. NOAM CHOMSKY (Special Edition)

youtube link is not taken here so normal link
www.youtube.com/watch?v=axuGfh4U...

+4

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@Adrian∞ Forum is not ready or willing to talk Chomsky or serious ideas of any kind. I tried that in anysubj. I personally have studied lot of his work. disagree in many of his points and agree in many more.

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@Nasos hehe Nasos my dear, you just proved yourself wrong ... YOU were ready..lol!
smiley smiley

+1

Report comment
(1y)
+1

master
Report comment
(1y)

One of my favs in the series is very new and only 3 days old:

link:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5WZhCBR...
U met Dr. Stephen Wolfram already: u just dont know it yet. His "wolfram language" is an computer algebra system for language computation he first introduced already in 1988.
Just THREE DAYS ago Wolfram announced the connection of Wolfram frame and chat GPT, which is a sensation. Amazing egghead indeed.

+4

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@Adrian∞ yeah, also watch david chalmers, good interviews

+2

master
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

and finally a third recommendation in the series: # 109

link
www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1j3VoKB...
Dr. DAN MCQUILLAN - Resisting AI
MCQUILLEN shows in an amazing way the dangers of fascist abuse in AI and develops ideas on how the technology can be used to everybody?s advantage, avoiding the risks of AI supported state control.
(Hello China)

+5

master
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

Ok. i admit this is nerd stuff for brainys. But if you have at least some deeper interest and/or at best some prior knowledge: This is the channel for you.
btw.: Machine Learning Street Talk uses a very cool and supportive system for financing, that may also be interesting to creators here:
www.patreon.com/
your fans and supporters finance your project via patronage.

+5

master
Report comment
(1y)

very interesting, not sure my brain can manage it smiley

+2

Report comment
(1y)

I am waiting for quantum ai

+3

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

Seen some financial abuse already around this AI....nothing new. For private contractors like me. Too much translations for pennies. 100 agencies and private companies of any kind, like search machines etc. If it was really free it would be illegal. I am all tech and hopes but I know what World leaders we have. Of course quantum is our ultimate gaze but when ? After we balance with the last cents we got the bankruptcy of the Golden boys cash registers and rotten habits? As a wise man said recently they all globalize (socialize) the deficits and privatize the profits. Ain't what we witness since 2008-2009? Am i wrong? And upon this Global platform we usually finance the testing platforms, the costs of production, their risks, their bankruptcies on even public goods like drugs and power. The day ppl see something essentially good for their lives it would be probably already marketed, condemned or on status of sold patent. I wish I prove myself wrong about what i say

+1

Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

yes i agree that we need to interrogate world systems, but i dont see robotics corporations as our future hegemons, i feel like power is a dispersed ideological phenomena.

also open source.. if you look at the interview with wolfram they talk about the hopes of democratising technology, and chalmers talks about aligning ai to our goals otherwise it'll just run its own thing. so i feel a bit like when the internet started and we were all like hooray and then the corporations started dictating but again open source slowly makes roads.

re quantum i have forgotten what i was going to say... not sure i feel like the leap will be more than just amplification

+3

Hide 12 replies...
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@Mksoune1 smiley hey Mksoune1, i feel flattered you chose this thread to comment, considered you hardly ever do.
thank you! smiley

+2

Report comment
(1y)

@Adrian∞ i studied neurophilosophy so this stuff is right up my alley, also getting into forum life recently :) thanks for the links

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@Mksoune1 smiley smiley wooaaaw, a disciple of Sir John Eccles! so curious! smiley

Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@Adrian∞ well perhaps q-ai could solve the hard problem for us!
at the very least it will definitely detail the easy problem, which is exciting.. i give 10 years

+2

Report comment
(1y)

@Adrian∞ eccles was a bit moralistic for my taste but not unusual in philosophy and a different time.. i appreciate their philosophies but i am not of their opinions..

+1

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

I played with Chat GPT but got irritated by the way it sanitises everything.
I asked it for a history of (redacted), who ran a company in Panama which was crooked even by Panamanian standards, and allegedly shot his wife.
Chat GPT came back with a wonderful story about service to the community and innovation in business; what woke nonsense!

+2

Hide 14 replies...
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@Buttless Perhaps you should have asked about Charles Manson or better yet, Cicciolina.....Now I am curious smiley

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@JudgeDredd The story on the alleged shooting was in the local papers but never went to court. And I believe he made legal precedent in Texas with his defence of money laundering. I was working there when a company went bankrupt and the assets vanished, and know nothing.
But the story ChatGpt wrote... maybe (redacted) paid them off as well!

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@Buttless I am sorry...who are we talking about here? I am kinda lost

Report comment
(1y)

@JudgeDredd I used this example of someone with history, and how the AI cleans everything up.
Can PM you the name if you're interested, but not here!

Report comment
(1y)

@Buttless Please do

Report comment
(1y)

@JudgeDredd smiley HEY! Cicciolina is SACROSANCT!!!

+1

Report comment
(1y)
+1

Report comment
(1y)

@Buttless Need to think focused, mathematically, considering possible faults. U try more and u'll be amazed. It can make amazing things. Try also different aspects of questions. For example write a song about a person u like that is so tall with this type of hair, with this color of eyes etc

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@Nasos I tried several angles but it starts by saying it is an AI and can't give personal details or anything harmful.

Report comment
(1y)

@Buttless hmmm I can't explain this in English well , I think.

I made it write a song recently about a person I like.

For harmful : something that is useful , can also be very bad used in bad way. And this is the problem that scares many scientists. The program can make potentially harmful content. I am sure about it. I haven't or will try because it scares me. I ask usually stupid and light in content things to have a laugh and get funny improvisations

Report comment
(1y)

@Nasos you can kinda train it to give you different answers, be specific and ask it not to do some things, like give me the evil story of so and so.. there are limits but you can push the limits a bit, but like a search engine you have to have the right words to get where you want to go and that takes a little bit for learning/familiarisation

+2

Report comment
(1y)

@Mksoune1 Yes I am trying to explain this to buttless. English is not my strong card. I translate in other languages, small volumes in English. Have you tried make the bot make a program? I started to construct a query a week ago but I stopped. For now I trust the bot the same way I trust FB, close to not at all. For reasons i explained further in the first comment I made in this thread. And I don't plan make any money out of this. In any way to be paid as private constructor now in our financial zone is pretty difficult, when it's from American companies. They must have offices in the EU zone so every penny we get can be checked in legit in our financial zone or IRS of our country. I am of small means and I don't have any ways of handling this in a different way. 100 $ from offshore company must be legit and correspond in a type of employment.

Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@Nasos blame thatcher. I havent tried any computer language but its really great as a lawyer and it can search in other languages and translate that information into other languages. I have tried to get it to reference scientific papers but its pretty sketchy on that front. honestly i dont trust anything is private on the internet what with undersea cables and all. snowden and wikileaks proved that. or did you mean as an information source? in that case no, it has given me wildly different answers to the same question.

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@Mksoune1 dosmovies.com/tv/Rabbit_Hole an insane script before a decade now looks a working hypothesis. The insanity of modern times puts our sanity and moral reference points into question I'd say. I feel nostalgic in the period i was 10 years old, diving into the sea and playing in the nearby forest. At least back then Dad had a more solid picture of what Economy and World Foreign relations represent hehe

master
Report comment
(1y)

+2

master
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

This is not a pipe (Rene Magritte, 1929)

This is not an entity (Adrian. 2023)

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

So much new stuff is coming faster than anyone expected.

+2

senior guru
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

Mmh.... I got a lot of questions.

+1

Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

is 6 supposed to be the deathstar or a dead planet? like intelligence grey goo.. well.. looking forward to gpt 4 (on bing already apparently).. hopefully these companies are so eager to compete they will release something beyond their control

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(1y)

@Mksoune1 i briefly tried bing and it was weird, more conversational but more restrictive

+1

senior guru
Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@SimonM smiley smiley smiley sounds good to me, at least compared to some bio alternatives....

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@Adrian∞ I know what you mean smiley smiley

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@SimonM ''the whole avenue of sexual display is open to you'' what are they catholic?

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@Mksoune1 Either that or the subscription fee is the issue..

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

"Blade Runner 2049" smiley

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

Hey guys, AI can improve nature:

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@Buttless This is just deep faking. The filtered version is very different to the real life copy.

As he says, this filtered version could be used by desperate ladies as a benchmark in order to carry out cosmetic surgery but for me it is another demonstration of the excessiveness of modern life and the idea of beauty.

Will there be men using these filters to fool potential partners?

People need to accept themselves for who they are and not give in to the pressures of the marketing companies.

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@..box.. Well guys can do this too, I always wanted to look like Brad Pitt.
But what happens if I right-click on a young Barbara Windsor-looking profile, she (or he/ it/ them) clicks on my Brad Pitt, and then we meet in real life?

+1

Report comment
(1y)

misogyny is the grift here im afraid..

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(1y)

@Mksoune1 smiley more than you know. smiley

+1

master
Report comment
(1y)

I asked chatGPT for the ideal partner. Seemingly its a "Pizza Tonno".

+3

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@Adrian∞ smiley smiley smiley

You could have asked the same question for me. Now I have to make the effort myself. smiley

Is it perhaps... erm... a can of Ravioli? Or sausage salad? Gooseberry pie with meringue? A pretzel roll with Gouda?

Dammit!

+2

Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@CitizenD Maybe you can have a hybrid selection?

Personally, I'd go for the gooseberry pie with meringue, followed by a pretzel roll with Gouda. smiley

+2

senior guru
Report comment
(1y)

AI is here to stay. There's way more powerful ai out there.

+1

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,695 reviews • 122,385 films • 18,475 TV series