This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,709 reviews
122,388 films • 18,477 TV series

YOU wanna go deep on: Human Behavioral Biology - or: why it is ok to be baboonish (549 views, 37 replies)

This topic has been closed.

master
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

Ever had this unsettling feeling, that free will is an illusion? Ever wondered why we all follow similar patterns and why the heck can we smell relatives?
This is an amazing original Stanford series of lectures by Prof. Robert Sapolsky - no prior knowledge needed.
Sapolsky is incredibly funny and the first introduction #1 should get you hooked.
A great introduction to human beviour and its biological and genetic fundaments.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNnIGh9g...

ok, its 25 videos, so here are some interesting picks:
# 15-17 Human sexual behavior ( smiley admit you clicked here)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOY3QH_j...
# 4-8 Molecular and behavioral genetics
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dRXA1_e...
Read more

+6

master
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAgplgT...

Not in the series , but of major interest: a lecture of Sapolsky about depression. i find it brilliant.

+5

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(1y)

@Adrian∞ OMG! Way back in the mid 80's I was at California State University-Fresno working on my psych degree. My Behavior Psychology Professor knew and admired Sapolsky, so once a week we would watch one of his lectures on video. He was extremely intelligent and a spectacular speaker, Thanks!

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

Nice post! Probably will be the only geek commenting...

The topic about free - or not- will is covered a million times by not only the modern scientists but from ancient philosophers and what is more important from the religious leaders and founders of the modern religious dogmas, sects etc. Because you are of German origin perhaps you remember the argumentation which produced 3-4 remarkable for modern theology of Christianity books, between Erasmus and Luther Martin.

I have followed a lot of readings about this and mostly the philosophical and theological aspects because I find that the modern scientific discoveries an d dissertations, remarkable as they are (starting from the God Gene, first analyzed from Israelis - suggestion etc researches ) are only a fragment of the volume and depth of the already said, observed and analyzed, exposing points of views from the ancients.

Polemics and Dialectics about this topic are in fact not a way to become fanatic, a person hiding in dogmatism, but a free of unnecessary and socially induced burdens citizen, keeping in the same time a deep spiritual connection to what is the perception of Good and Evil and of what God means to humanity.
Read more

+2

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@Nasos Oh , i think "pmud" will show up and claim to be nr.1 on a secret Neurobiologist list... smiley smiley

+3

Report comment
(1y)

@Adrian∞ There is big risk when people not of academic load in specific and broadly related sciences review or watch similar videos or specific lectures. This "hereditary" predispositions. As I mentioned b4 some weeks in the case with Nietzsche and his writings of Zarathustra's legend. Many times scientists alone get confused, make statements and recall them later, balance between their believes and the conception of truth before their eyes. Something that is of course of big respect, a man, to accept he's been wrong and change path or switch his perceptions. Briefly said, the humble human nature, I suppose is acceptable to be confused from and kneel before or misbehave and exploit such ideas or knowledge

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

I wish Nasos would expand his horizons regarding simple things like....erm.. corporal punishment:) smiley
dosmovies.com/forum/thread/Funny...

+3

Hide 14 replies...
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@CitizenD Well what do you expect from a person who blocks because you (third person, me) disagree that Dolph Lundgren is not a superstar, legendarily proficient hunk actor?? smiley smiley smiley

Report comment
(1y)

@CitizenD yeah baby, slap back

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@CitizenD What Nasos failed to explain to you is our common experience in the matter is based on a cultural difference which you may not be aware. Nasos and I are of nearly the same age. We grew up in an era where family values were still influenced by the old ways. That meant that in matters of upbringing and discipline, your conduct as a child was directly attributable to the character of your parents. So if you exhibited any disrespect towards your elders, it was immediately presumed that your parents instilled this value to you, because they themselves would not respect their elders. Anything you did reflected back on your parents. In our generation corporal punishment at schools was a thing of the past. Parental discipline however was not. And I dont mean discipline requiring hospitalization. Just a normal slap across the face would do wonders to bring you back to reality and to the repercussions of your actions on the reputation of your family. And the familial bonds were so strong that even the police would often defer any penalty in favor to the parental discipline, which was regarded as the ultimate and most effective means of rehabilitation. The changes regarding parental discipline happened one generation after mine. And the results of not disciplining the children were immediately apparent. Where we were taught to always respect our elders, the new generation would look at an elder with an aura of presumed equality and tell them to f**k off or they will beat him up. And that was from 15 year old kids. If we dared to say something similar, in that age, our families would have disowned us. And that would have been the best case scenario.
Read more

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@JudgeDredd He still runs around my posts to prove me that a slap or two in the bum of kids when necessary is violent behavior to be punished ? I think u should consider this psychotic or give him my ID info so he sue me cuz I done it to a woman in hysteric crisis when they called me for help. Forget cultural explanations, u need a pound of Gouda and Xanax

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@Nasos Actually I understand his point of view from his own cultural background. Our own cultural background is just different, which affords a different viewpoint.

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@JudgeDredd i will try to forget it, log off, get back some other day. I don't wanna become a burden to u. To me the whole thing is ridiculous. Will not comment more if i see anything and u forget abt it. We and the rest of the World got real problems to worry abt I say. See u smiley

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@Nasos You are not a burden to me. I am recusing myself from my function when I am socially interacting. But I get your point. We do have real problems in the real world. We dont need virtual ones in the virtual world smiley

+2

Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@JudgeDredd What can I say... My father was fond of corporal punishment, which earned him not my respect, but my contempt. I also experienced a sense of shame that someone was allowed to do such a thing to me. I felt deep down that he didn't have the right to do that.
To beat a child is from my point of view bodily harm/ child abuse and is directed against the physical intactness of a person in need of protection.

If I had ever hit one of my own children, I would have blamed myself for failure and weakness.

Had he still done it when I grew up, I would have hit him back at some point. Not in retaliation, but to let him know - it's over.
But it didn't get that far, because after twelve years in the armed forces, they paid for him to study to be a teacher. During this time he gave up beating.

I share your description of the cultural differences; in Greece the family bonds are deeper and more archaic. I don't mean that in a negative way, there is immense strength in that.
Read more

+4

Report comment
(1y)

@CitizenD smiley impressive, humane and insightful. the right man in the right position!!!!!! smiley

+2

Report comment
(1y)
(edited)
+2

Report comment
(1y)

@CitizenD oh you charming devil.... smiley
always squeezing eye-soup outta me smiley

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@Adrian∞ smiley You flatterer....
always smearing honey around my beard smiley

+1

Report comment
(1y)

@CitizenD Well, we certainly had different experiences on the matter. I have only received 4 slaps in my life and every single time I either crossed the line or outright ignored it. And the slap never came out of the blue. There were plenty of warnings before the slap became necessary.

The part you didnt follow, I failed to explain the reasoning behind this loss of respect. When parental discipline was put into question, there were several child psychologists that suggested to approach the children like a friend rather than a parent. To that end, they even allowed the children to speak to their parents in the singular (which is used for friends and equals) rather than the plural (which is the polite way and is reserved for people you exhibit respect). The royal f**k up in this was the result, where the children (very rightly so) considered that if they can dismiss their friends at any time without repercussions, they can dismiss everyone else as well without distinction. The unintended result of this was also the use of foul language as the prevailing means of communication. The problem here was the complete abandonment in the establishment of limits to the children. And we saw how that ended up. Nowadays the situation is mixed. Parental discipline is on the 50-50 and you can instantly tell the difference with the children that have limits to observe.
Read more

+3

Report comment
(1y)

@JudgeDredd Your cousin is a clever woman. She knows how to turn sh*t into gold. smiley

Since most children today have electronic devices and internet access, the challenges for parents and educators have become incomparably more daunting.

+1

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

Thanks Adrian for opening the door to this lecture hall. I started with the Human Sexual Behaviour and I can only describe the presentation as facinating and very witty.

Keep opening those doors so we can have more open minds. smiley

+3

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@..box.. thanks boxy!! no i do not feel as a 100 year old spambot anymore smiley
smiley

+2

senior master
Report comment
(1y)

Ah, the joys of a strict Catholic education.

+3

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(1y)

@Buttless OMG the penguin mistresses! we had a bunch of these in the neighbourhood when i was a child. Potatoe salad and praying every Wednesday afternoon, they did not beat us (..the neigborhood) but after eating they showed us what will happen if the devil gets us lil sinners.
Detailed and realistic pictures of hells tortures, burning, cooking skinning shown to us 6 year old with the authority of the black/white "habit".
On request (afraid): " Is the devil real, sister Maria?"
"He sure is son, i held so many hands of dying people, and many said -the dark men are coming, the dark men are coming. You better buy one of our Phosporous cruzifixes in the shop, so the light of Jesus will protect u at night..."
Well, that was proof enough. i slept under the bed a few nights, then my mom wrote to the bishop and had a talk with them. Seemingly the bishop adviced them to only scare CATHOLIC children ( i was protestant).
Read more

+2

Report comment
(1y)
(edited)

@Adrian∞ What a wonderful anecdote! I especially like the pingu b......s part. smiley

I was (as a Protestant) in a Catholic kindergarten in Cologne. The staff there consisted of nuns. smiley

Once the bishop of Cologne came to visit. The nuns locked me in the broom closet because I refused to bow to the Cardinal. smiley smiley smiley
What kind of people are they?

If there is a devil, he will want bishops for breakfast. smiley smiley

Luja sog i.

+2

Report comment
(1y)

@CitizenD Zähfix LUJA! smiley smiley

+2

Report comment
(1y)

@Adrian∞ Members of the One True Faith had goodness and salvation beaten into us from a young age.
The spirit of the inquisition lives on, in an organisation that I found to be rotten to the core.

+3

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,709 reviews • 122,388 films • 18,477 TV series