This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,721 reviews
122,397 films • 18,478 TV series

Rating System Question! (793 views, 17 replies)

This topic has been closed.

master
Report comment
(5y)

Hey!

So, I have been wondering about this for some time now. There are many people like me, who have noticed something weird that is happening with the Rating System.

Sometimes if the current movie rating is for example 8/10, and you add a rate of 10, the new movie rating will become 5/10 (Less than before), which should not happen, it should not change below the original 8.

Simple rating formula usually look like this:
$average = $rating_sum / $users;

It is Obvious that here we have more variables in the formula to handle the Movie Rating, and it is more complex. Which is fine.

So, what I was wondering, could you please be so kind, and let us Mortals to understand how our Movie Ratings are generated? :) I am pretty sure you have been asked about this one a lot, and I also did not find a specific answer on forum, so putting it out here would help :)

Thank you, WingTsun™.

+3

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

Yes thank you! I just have a movie with no ratings that had 4 stars/8.8 a 1/2 a star, and it went to “8.1 from 1 vote”. Impossible. And I also get mad when I give something 5 stars, and it’s got no ratings, and it slumps downtown 3,5 stars after my single rating. Also not possible. Looking forward to the explanation and/or fix for this.

+3

admin
Report comment
(5y)

Our rating algorithm is complex and I will not expose it here, sorry. It's not that simple as $average = $rating_sum / $users;
It's wasn't created by me, and I'm not going to change it. Why? Because if I change it now - we may simply erase all our data, it will become useless.

Interesting article to read: www.evanmiller.org/how-not-to-sor...
Also this: stackoverflow.com/questions/1019...

+3

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Thanks, Doc. I'm happy with that answer.

I don't depend on any rating system to influence my viewing.

I usually disagree with all of the various ones, plus members sometimes use the 10 star instead of the 5, and at times I see ratings in comments that give a "one time boredom watch" 4 stars put of 5, or an "average" film 7 out of 10...neither of which actually make any logical sense, to me.

Rating a film or show is very subjective.

I appreciate you writing what you written to explain the way things are here.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Thank you for the reply.

I did check into this more, and played around with few algorithms in PHP today to simulate different scenarios, and I can definetly see why you would want to have more complex system in place for this :)

Thank you for clarifying this.

God
Report comment
(5y)

Been talked about before this.
dosmovies.com/forum/thread/Problem-with-....

master
Report comment
(5y)

Yes, this has been discussed before and I agree there's something wacky with the system here. It's disheartening when you give a film a rating higher than the current one and it causes it to go down instead of up smiley . That said, I'm happy to accept it as is and certainly wouldn't want all the current data wiped out. I usually use a combination of the rating here, the imdb score and the comments section as a guide on whether I feel a movie is worth my time. Happy viewing everyone smiley

+2

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@rickgrimesrocks Happy viewing to you, too!
smiley smiley

... Is that Tyrion Rick Grimes?? 😍

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@ Lol yes

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@rickgrimesrocks When number of ratings is 0 but the rating is not 0?

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil No there usually are at least a few ratings before I rate it. It tends to happen more, it seems like, on movies that have fewer ratings though. Sometimes it works like it's supposed to and sometimes it doesn't. It seems as if there's no rhyme or reason to it.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@rickgrimesrocks Since i joined the site, there is a lot more comments on films (and some very reliable), but i do go of IMDb as much as anything. smiley

+1

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,721 reviews • 122,397 films • 18,478 TV series