This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,742 reviews
122,406 films • 18,479 TV series

Auto-fetching IMDB Rating (1418 views, 11 replies)

This topic has been closed.

Report comment
(7y)

I've noticed that more often than not it seems that the IMDB-ratings set on the site are not the same as the actual ones on IMDB, obivously the reason for this is most likely that they've changed since the movie/series was added, so my suggestion is fetching that information automatically from OMDB's API (which is an unofficial IMDB API), it's easily used and fetches information in json or xml format so it's easily parsed. <br> <br> For example, If a user input www.imdb.com/title/tt1124037/ as the IMDB URL, it could fetch the ID (tt1124037), and add it to the OMDB api becomming www.omdbapi.com/?i=tt1124037&... (easily placed since exact same ID), the output (in json) would be: <br> <br> {"Title":"Free State of Jones","Year":"2016","Rated":"R","Releas ed":"24 Jun 2016","Runtime":"139 min","Genre":"Action, Biography, Drama","Director":"Gary Ross","Writer":"Gary Ross (screenplay), Leonard Hartman (story), Gary Ross (story)","Actors":"Matthew McConaughey, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Mahershala Ali, Keri Russell","Plot":"A disillusioned Confederate army deserter returns to Mississippi and leads a militia of fellow deserters, runaway slaves, and women in an uprising against the corrupt local Confederate government.","Language":"English","Count ry":"USA","Awards":"1 win & 3 nominations.","Poster":"*poster*","Metas core":"53","imdbRating":"6.9","imdbVotes ":"24,307","imdbID":"tt1124037","Type":" movie","Response":"True"} <br> <br> (Removed the poster-URL to try shorten it a little bit) <br> <br> Which would easily be parsed by finding the value of "imdbRating" and outputting it to the site. ...
Read more

admin
Report comment
(7y)

We're already doing what you said. And we don't need this API.

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(7y)

@Dr.Evil Fair enough, how frequently is the IMDB rating updated then?, Or is it just fetched once when addint?, Because the vast majority of times I've checked it hasn't been the same as the actual rating on the site, sometimes it's even said 6.something here when the actual rating on the site was 4.something.

Report comment
(7y)

@zgdthree 50,000 movies. This is the reason. We don't want to DDOS IMDB lol. Anyways thanks, yes I know that actual IMDB rating on NEW movies changing every day, that's why we included imdb links on every page. So you can just go to IMDB website and do what you want.

Report comment
(7y)

@Dr.Evil That would assume all movies were updated at the same time though, which it wouldn't have to be, not to mention that it wasn't what I originally was referring to. Technically speaking, it could be fetched upon opeing a movie page, save that number, and set to not repeat the action until a certain amount of time have passed (lets say every 3 days). That way it would only update for movies that are actually being watched, and it wouldn't overload any servers since it would only request the info 3 days after the last time it fetched it.

Report comment
(7y)

@zgdthree A very bad idea. I mean "upon opening a movie page". <br> <br> We will speed up imdb parsing in the next update.

Report comment
(7y)

@Dr.Evil The original idea of upon entering the movie page was probably a bad idea on my part, I can't deny that, seeing how big the userbase is, but with limitations to when it would be fetching, it could probably work atleast fairly decently. But I'm guessing you've got it under control, and I hope we'll see more frequent updates of the IMDB rating in the near future. :)

God
Report comment
(7y)

When it comes to the IMDb difference, how much are you talking about .1,.2,.3 so on? <br> I'm always going on IMDb, the only thing i can think of is if the film is " crap " it will have about 100+/- reviews and that's it.

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(7y)

@PureVodka🍺 It all depends, on some it's just .1-.3, which isn't that bad, others are much higher, for example, "Mad Families" ( dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Mad_Families.... ) says 6.5 on the page, while it's a 4.5 on IMDB, that's a full 2.0 difference (has about 300 reviews).

God
Report comment
(7y)

It,s a crap film going of the (3) reviews, i see this all the time, why because when ify about a film e.g. Dumb tittles and low views, i will check IMDb and yes there is always 1+ diffs...so what.

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(7y)

@PureVodka🍺 I always check IMDB myself either way, regardless of if anything's "iffy" or not, and this wasn't about that specific movie, that just happend to the be first movie that popped up that could be used as an example. This wasn't about that, this was about getting trying to give a suggestion that might minimize the difference between the stated IMDB ratings on this site and on IMDB. <br> <br> If people don't like that idea, fine, it was just an idea after all, but now you're kind of just arguing against the need for an IMDB rating at all, and that was never the point.

Report comment
(7y)

@zgdthree This fourm post dosmovies.com/forum/thread/Movie-Rating-.... will be why it is on show in the first place ;) <br> <br> Point taken.smiley smiley

+1

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,742 reviews • 122,406 films • 18,479 TV series