This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,383 reviews
122,276 films • 18,454 TV series

Problem with rating system (stars) on title pages, e.g., giving a show "4.5/5" stars is read as 4.5/10.  (1177 views, 13 replies)

This topic has been closed.

Report comment
(5y)

Hi everyone! First, GREAT site! I'm so grateful! That said, I'm sorry now to be complain-y, but not sure anyone's aware of the issue b/c I couldn't find it anywhere in forum. I gave Cartel Land (2015) "4.5" stars, which was read by code on the title page to be 4.5/10, instead of the correct 4.5/5 OR 9/10 stars. This has happened before; how do we resolve this issue? Giving this documentary the wrong intended calculation dropped its rating a whole 2 stars, which is very bad esp when there are only 2 votes and this doc is so excellent. smiley Sorry for being so nit-picky, just trying to be a good member. Thanks for considering! smiley

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

I can't even rate movies, I try to but it never registers.

+2

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Nopey Hi! Have you tried refreshing your page to see if registered? You can test it by finding a show or movie w/0 or very few stars, do your rating, refresh, see if the number changed.

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@Cat8Coyote I rated one with no stars and its partially started working. Some movies I still can't rate like Stand By Me.

master
Report comment
(5y)

I've also noticed that when I rate a movie it sometimes brings the rating down when it should raise it. It doesn't always happen but does sometimes. Not sure what can be done about it but, yes I have seen this happen also.

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@rickgrimesrocks Exactly! I'm going to test it out to see if giving half points (n.5/5) is the culprit.

Report comment
(5y)

Well, all my tests were perfect. Could it be that we've unknowingly moved our cursors back over the stars, lowering the score by accident? smiley I'm open to that possibility now; and if that's what happened a few times, I apologize folks! Going to be more careful from here out and keep an eye or 2 on it smiley . Thank you for "listening!"

+1

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Cat8Coyote You can check what you rated it by looking at your feed. Just go to your profile and underneath where your guests are listed click on feed. It shows you what you have done and will show what you rated the movie/show. I don't know what causes that to happen with the ratings but it does. I guess it's not really a big deal in the whole scheme of things though lol.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@rickgrimesrocks Did not know you could check what you rated a film lol. smiley

+1

admin
Report comment
(5y)

4.5/5 stars is actually 9/10 ratings. It's a ten-point rating system. By the way this system was not developed by me and I hardly understand it too. smiley

+1

God
Report comment
(5y)

What i think happens is when a new film is added and star (by a member) rated for the 1st time, this happens: <br> If they rate it 4/5* (8/10) and the IMDb for that film is 2/5* (4/10), they will be added together 8 + 4 = 12 then divided by (only " two " ratings) 2 = 3/5* (6/10). :)

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 No. The algorithm is more complex.

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

Just rated 5 movies 5 stars and the rating on all of them went down.

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@Nopey Ikr, it's weird. smiley

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,383 reviews • 122,276 films • 18,454 TV series