This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,859 reviews
122,457 films • 18,487 TV series

Moving news section to a new website. (2056 views, 139 replies)

This topic has been closed.

admin
Report comment
(4y)

I have this idea and I think it will be great. But the problem what to do with existing users accounts. News submitted by users, and rated, commented by users.
OK we can copy all this data to the new site. But what to do with new accounts?

Having separate authentication processes/user databases or one for both sites?

+4

master
Report comment
(4y)

IMHO: One acct enters both to prevent news from being orphaned.

+2

God
Report comment
(4y)

I agree. One account for both. I'll be happy to see the news off of here.

+5

admin
Report comment
(4y)

Imagine a new user registered on the news site. So the user automatically becomes a member of TwoMovies? Looks strange.

+3

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil I'm with you, provided that only TwoMovies account holders have access to the News Site. Should it it be moderated? -GC

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

One account for both sites would be the better solution by far, especially given some of the problems associated with the News section.

Requiring users to create a separate account on the news site would open up both sites to trolling through account impersonation, e.g. a troll user makes an account on the news site in the name of bondojoe BEFORE bondojoe can make that account for himself, and then the troll user starts causing all kinds of trouble in an effort to get that account name banned from both sites.

One account for both sites removes this risk and makes moderation duties on both sites significantly easier too.

+6

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@Lurkio The news site will be very different. But I agree that this is the main problem. We can copy accounts of user's who already posted in news. But for new users I'm not sure what to do.
Google for example uses Gmail accounts everywhere.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil As for a new user specifically registering on the news site, perhaps advise them at sign-up that their account will also work here if they wish to use this site, otherwise it's simply reserving their username on here to ensure site and account security.

+4

God
Report comment
(4y)

Give people the option to have a joint account and those that do, have a line under their username. Best i can think of at the moment.

+4

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@PureVodka🍺 Yes this may be a good solution.

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@PureVodka🍺 This is a great idea!

+1

God
Report comment
(4y)

I kinda thought this was decided.

It is a tremendous amount of work for programming.

I personally don't care.

I get my news other places. Those who are re-posting news do the same, too.

I came here for something else (entertainment, movies, shows) and it will never be any different for me, or all the referenced members I have made for this site alone!!

Argue all you like, movies is the operative word here, not news.

+6

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@ I personally don't care.*
I get my news other places.*

smiley

What about others, for a Mod you or a bit of a me,me,me person.

Report comment
(4y)

@PureVodka🍺 It's my opinion.

I'm NOT a politian running for office.

Of course it's a "me" opinion.

That's pointing out the obvious.

I do NOT have any more weight than anyone else in this DISCUSSION.

Stop attacking me.

Now.

+6

admin
Report comment
(4y)

Another option.
1. Leave news on Twomovies but ban politics. Leave only news related to movies, celebrity, shows.
2. Create another news site with politics etc.

+5

Hide 42 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil Spilt the site but keep anything non entertainment related on the other half which staes it is not moderated cannot be brought into the entertainment part of the site.

Anyone who does so will be suseptible to suspension or banning.

Split the site and let them argue and annihilate each other in that section.

+7

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil Or just go with step one of that list and not bother with step two...

There's a very good reason so many forums prohibit discussion of religion and politics as topics, those two topics alone are incredibly divisive and prone to causing serious trouble amongst community members, trouble that, if left unchecked, can ruin a community entirely.

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@Lurkio That's what he was proposing. 1 or 2.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@Lurkio This is exactly what I have been saying. All communities work better when politics and religion are off the agenda altogether.

+6

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil You would have to ban it on the forum too...because that's where the hardcore complainers would go. They would start posting politics on the Forum.

+4

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil Ban politics AND RELIGION from TwoMovies all together, the entire site and create the other site where you can discuss/fight about those two topics all you like. That's my opinion.

+5

senior master
Report comment
(4y)

At one stage I would have said dump the news section onto the Titanic but having been here about a year now, I thinks the politically minded need an outlet to vent their anger issues. I suppose it is cathartic in a way and much cheaper than paying a therapist.

However too much venting in the news section will spill into the main forum which will eventually erode the community spirit when bans are enforced.

I don't like the idea of 2 sites but prefer a site within a site. A room where people can vent, preach, insult, moan, complain and even have a laugh (at someone else's expense). A room where politics meets religion meets abuse meets scum of the earth meets .... A room where you are free from all rules and moderation but must tolerate everything without a whimper.

This room would be the NO ESCAPE room as nothing will escape into the main forum from there. Access to the room will be intentional and an acknowledgement that you enter at your own risk and 2M will not be responsible for the behaviour in the No Escape Room.
Read more

+6

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@..box.. LOL

"Scum of the Earth"

I've been called worse.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale These are compliments for the hardened nuts and boobjobs who would wish to enter the pit.

I would hope you wouldn't be wasting your time on that space.

+4

Report comment
(4y)

@..box.. Like the game rooms. But what if the political section gets so over run with idiots that everyone just avoids it?

Report comment
(4y)

@bondojoe Well in that case I suppose it will die a death by idiot causes and it will go to the cyberspace sematary where it will rest in peace (and maybe a project for Stephen King).

You could look at it as a "social experiment" like the Lord of the Flies (currently on the book club reading list) where the members decide what the limits are. But they will be members of the site and probably shouldn't have access to the NO ESCAPE area until they have been here for some time (I would suggest a month and contributions to other areas in the form of comments/reviews). Not a place for newbies or duplicate accounts if possible.

It will be bloody, a bit like the Roman Colosseum but who will be the Gladitors and who will be the Christians/Slaves?

It will probably change depending on the news topics but I honestly think it will have a lot of visitors coming up to the Presidential Elections in 2020.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@..box.. There may be a lot of visitors, but I'm betting that you don't like boors, or idiots any more than I do. Without some sort of control, there will be anarchy. I've experienced it. To some extent it's already started in the news section. When the majority make up the rules as they go along, It's a disaster. It wouldn't even make a good article for the MooB, as there would be no delineation of ideas. Just random insanity. I think YOU like things to make sense. Your publication may be irreverent, but it is logical.

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

I'd be happy to see the news section gone from my feed. I come for movies not to talk politics or see news.
But I understand the problem about different sites or not. If you could make it modular so you can turn on or off sections and let people participate in different ways, you could keep the site together. Even if modules were only ordered and not turned on and off, if things were down at the bottom you wouldn't see things you weren't interested in. I don't know how the programming works so I don't know if this is helpful.

+2

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@fleafla In theory the website already is 'modular' because there IS an option to hide the news preview window from the right hand side of the website.

However it seems maybe that isn't enough, and because the problems religion and politics both cause on here don't seem to want to go away, the solution kinda boils down to a choice of one of the following:

1: Prohibit religion and politics from the news section, and the site in general, leaving the whole site purely for entertainment-related topics only.

2: Keep religion and politics on the site, but hide them away, either in their own special separate area away from the entertainment news and the rest of the site, or by making the whole News section less visible (via additional login, or by using a pop-up challenge option, like the over-18 pop-up we already have on here) so that people are made fully aware of what they're getting into by viewing to that section of the site.
Read more

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@Lurkio Thanks for the breakdown Lurkio;

1. I don't see this working as politics is entertainment to some and passion to others (bit like football) and they intersect at too many points. I would also make the same argument for religion and entertainment.

2. I would vote for this one, but making it clear that moderators will not get involved so don't whine to them.

3. I think this would be the "kiss of death" for both topics, and the introduction of "pseudo-entertainment news" into the main Forum. The attraction of the site for the vast majority is movies and series. Without the foundation of the site, the news reduced purely to politics and religion would be nonsense. A separate site would be a waste of resources and would be in major competition with proper "news" sites.

The major problem will be keeping the entertainment news/forum free of politics and religion. That is where proper strong unbiased moderation will need to be implemented. ...
Read more

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@Lurkio You're right. I was thinking the hide capacity might be more permanent, so what you're seeing is only the boxes you check in a settings area. You could move your modules around so you see one on your left or right depending on what you want to focus on. Some people could just have the news section and that would be like a different website.

Report comment
(4y)

@fleafla If members had more options in their settings, I believe it would solve many issues.

+1

master
Report comment
(4y)

WOW!! This thread is evidence enough of why the news/politics needs to be put on it's own site. I don't see why they DON'T want it, they'll be allowed to do as they want without moderation, what's the complaint? People threatening to leave the site if this is done seems reminiscent of the celebrities saying they'd leave the US if Trump was elected. I say to them what many said to the celebs C-YA!

Like Doc said above either NO POLITICS AT ALL (I would add religion to that also imo) or PUT IT ON A SEPARATE SITE. Which one would y'all rather have?

I enjoy the news here from time to time so I'd like it to be on it's own site. There's my vote.

+7

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)

@rickgrimesrocks I'd also be very interested to see what kind of site Doc will put together. With his considerable skills I'm sure it will be something we may all want to visit from time to time. Some may even call it a second home as I do with TwoMovies smiley

+3

master
Report comment
(4y)

Regarding the original topic for this thread. I say give new users the option to sign up for the other site. If someone signs up for TwoMovies give them the option to sign up for news site also and vice versa.

All current users will automatically be signed up for both with the option to opt out of either if wanted, somewhere in the settings.

+3

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

OMG, you guys..just leave it a Movie site, this is for fun, if people want news, there are zillions of places to go, why does it have to even be here? Provide a link for ones that want the news if you have to go that route.. When I come to this site, the last thing I want to read is news, I just want to browse and watch a movie, or a show I missed the night before...Just my thoughts....

+7

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@Rescue Dog Mama Users also submit movie news, and it's totally relevant imho.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil I get that... good luck in whatever you do.

+2

senior master
Report comment
(4y)

It would be a lot of work but if this is the case:

"News site can be a reddit like site. Not only news but everything. Every topic you may imagine."

then I am all for it!

This would mean the forum would then be there which is great.

It does not have to be a separate site just move things around some and maybe add a feature like the one for 18+ films where the member must click on to agree to enter. A free for all zone would be amazing where members can actually speak their minds without being censored. No Mods required. Enter is you dare at your own discretion. Let's argue, let's be honest, tell me how you really feel, free speech for real, adults only etc. I would be active in this "reddit like site" and look forward to it.

+2

senior master
Report comment
(4y)

I totaly agree with Dog Mama. No politics, news, religion or social columns. Only the ability users to communicate with eachother and the comedy theater with strictly kept rules for no politics e.t.c

+5

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

people will carry over their sh*t into the chat box, posting links to the other site and still talking sh*t about who said what or why they don't like them. these types will not be satisfied with a separate venue because they want to make it personal and ghost people they don't like.

i don't follow the news very much these days, but i'm down if you want to try something new.

+4

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd smiley

Except, apparently, as a mod I'm somehow removed from actually having my own opinion.

smiley smiley smiley smiley

Not. smiley

+5

master
Report comment
(4y)

I find it ridiculous that it's this big of an issue. If you hate Trump or Biden or whatever simply skip that news article. I see no reason to hate on the poster of an article. I think the only rule in the news section should be: Civility, if you are incapable then you risk tos violation. Name calling of other members should be stopped at all costs. We are all adults here and opinions are what make the world go around. One site for both news and movies. Be adult or not enough to read, express your opinion, or skip altogether. Maybe no headlines at all, just a section that says news. Click into it for the headlines. The ones that freak at all things Trump will be safe from that trigger, UNLESS they go looking for it. Some will just so they can b**ch.

+6

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@fortunate1 Word!

Yes, Fortunate1.

No wonder you have been here 9 years!

Report comment
(4y)

@ Just my opinion but thank you.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@fortunate1 Agreed and there are some who do go looking for it.

+1

guru
Report comment
(4y)

People here, the same as anywhere else have opinions about varied topics. Some feel inclined to share them, others don't.

When it comes to religion and politics the stronger sides of peoples views tend to surface as these are important topics, even to people who claim they have no interest in them.

If you segregate the news into Entertainment News and make it clear this area is not for political or religious news, with moderation fro violations of that rule, that's pretty doable.

If you want to segregate Political and Religious News into another area here that seems the most reasonable tack to take. However it should be an enter at your own risk area that is unmoderated as moderation of such an area is just about impossible without the mods being slammed non stop for trying to keep the peace.

I say let people have at it there but with the understanding dragging their squabbles else where on the site would result in dire consequences regarding their membership.

Read more

+8

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 The news is already in categories. Just the headlines or newest post appears altogether. Entertainment news is already there. All opinions count even our $.02 cents lol

guru
Report comment
(4y)

The position I was trying to convey though is that segregating the news itself into 2 separate areas with a clear division of the 2 is the best way to keep the peace in both places :>)

+4

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

Déjà vu

Déjà vu

Déjà vu

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale I've seen that before somewhere, sometime... It seems so familiar.

smiley

+3

top expert
Report comment
(4y)

I mentioned it in the other thread and, MrKim touched on it here but, why create another forum you have to babysit?
Unless there's revenue involved, seems pointless. If that's the case though, I'm sure you're aware, there's a billion other sites already out there for that type of content. Is the effort worth the payoff in such a large ocean of competition?

IDK man, just seems like a loony magnet to me. I doubt it would lessen the ratio here but, good luck on whatever you decide.

guru
Report comment
(4y)

“All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing”...

"O’Sullivan’s First Law: An eternal truth” by John O’Sullivan

Same goes with websites.... a separate website to "hide" what some don't care to see. Might as well get google to finish off the process by vetting what gets shown.

admin
Report comment
(4y)

We are going to copy accounts of those users who only submitted news, upvoted and commented. Is is ok? Everybody else will have to create a new account.
Please tell me what you think. It's about 700 users.

+9

Hide 9 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil I think that's fair.

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil Good move. smiley

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil You got my blessing. Now you only need 699 more smiley smiley

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil Just get rid of the politics or religion. Why waste money and time creating and moderating another site. Simple solution is to focus on this site and let people vent their politics and religious views on other forums.

Report comment
(4y)

@ReverendBobo How about both? Those are the two topics people always argue over; IMHO, it's not worth blood pressures popping.

Report comment
(4y)
(edited)

@Dr.Evil That still leaves you with a potential security/trolling/misidentification risk because someone who may not have had any contact with the news section on twomovies could lose their account name on the separate news site due to someone 'stealing' that username before the actual user can make an account there.

If you're gonna copy accounts across from here to there, copy them all, whether they've posted on the news section here or not, it might be more work setting the new site up, but I guarantee it'll save a lot of admin headaches in the long run.

Report comment
(4y)
(edited)

@Lurkio Copying 300,000+ accounts seems to me an overkill. Lot's of dead, irrelevant accounts there.

trolling/misidentification risk - I don't think so, yes someone can catch/steal only a login name, but you may log in using your email anyway.

+1

Report comment
(4y)
(edited)

@Lurkio What about new accounts? For example a user creates a new account here on TwoMovies, what about the new site and vice versa?

master
Report comment
(4y)

Ack is too short

Hide 16 replies...
Report comment
(4y)
(edited)

@TRCIII Is that even an answer?

Acknowledgement?

Disgust?

Expa nd if it's relevant in words that are understandable.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@ I saw your post in the chat that directed us here. From your response to FRAC1 I thought it was possibly for the purposes of "registering" to be included when they port the limited subset of users over to the new news site, although the thread above seemed to imply I would be included automatically if I had ever posted, commented or upvoted someone's post (I've done all three). But if I needed to follow the link to be "counted" I would follow the link to be counted.
The warning accompanying the link was explicit about not discussing politics when coming to this thread so, knowing the usual draconian prohibitions were in place and this thread would be even more closely monitored than usual, I came here with intent to not attract attention or get in trouble, and be as brief as possible. And, apparently, failed at that.
I'm a computer guy by trade so the appropriate response is "ack" when all you're doing is responding to a request to let you know the other end you're there, but the algorithms for this site don't allow you to just post "ack", because it's "too short" a response. Why such a limitation exists on free-form commentary field, I have no idea, but I'm certainly not one to let it prevent me from registering a response and getting ported to the new site.
Read more

Report comment
(4y)
(edited)

@TRCIII That is irrelevant to the question in the post. Please re-read it more carefully... "ONLY SUBMITTED NEWS, upvoted and commented"...

That does not apply to you, the rest is simply...

smiley

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@ Nope, not seeing the question/post you're referring to. The title of the thread is: "Moving News Section to a New Website." That's not a question, and there are 120 posts with a variety of questions.
So...what question do I need to answer? If it's Dr. Evil's original question, once again, I don't have an opinion on the matter, don't care how you handle accounts for the transition, if transition we must. That's y'all's issue, and makes no nevermind for me. I am one of those people who regularly submits news, upvotes, has been upvoted, has commented on news and has had my news commented on by others, so I think I"m one of the 700 Dr. Evil was talking about.
But if they all went away tomorrow and you started fresh, I wouldn't care. I'm adaptable, will adjust to whatever y'all do. Or, if it's too much of a pain in the patoot...I won't bother, and life will go on for everyone concerned. Maybe those people who are heavily invested in chasing those mysterious "points" will have some vested interest in this, but since I don't know/care how that whole system works and can't really figure out what they're for, again, not my issue.
Read more

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@TRCIII i just have trouble buying the number of proactive users at 700...

ack-ack?

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd I just heard your "ack ack" in my head in the Martian voice. smiley
In any case, I got the impression that they were only talking about 700 "active" NEWS users, not active Two-Movies users.
But I'm really having trouble understanding what the whole kerfuffle is about, so don't take my opinion as worth anything. smiley smiley

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@TRCIII i had that same impression also, and i'm just saying it would seem unlikely [to me] if active news post and commenters ranged anywhere above 2-3 dozen.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd Ah. You're right, I see the same few folks on here all the time, but I'm not on here around the clock, either. And I've only been around a year, so maybe there used to be a lot more folks. Either way, I couldn't say.
If I were to guess, though, I'd say Doc is just porting the entire history of news over, including any account if they were EVER "active", just to be safe, and to keep from losing any threads, maintaining the integrity of the database.
Frankly, I won't cry if the whole news section gets scrubbed and starts from scratch. I don't go back to old news, unless someone adds new replies, anyway.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@TRCIII okay, what you just said here makes sense of it now smiley that's how much time i've spent following things here lately as well.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd Nothing wrong there. Probably most folks wouldn't think that way, but I've been working with computers and databases since mainframe days in the 70s. Georgia Tech, class of '80. I'm certifiable. smiley

Report comment
(4y)

@TRCIII funny how you get enough people using them and it's worse than the damn tv they were trying to get away from.smiley

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd It's about anyone who ONLY posts news ARTICLES as well... Not just replies, for the last 8 years.

It can also be anyone who has only upvoted news for that same time period.

There's no way either of you would have a record of those members.

(Reread what Doc wrote.)

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@ nah, i get it now. enough talking about a new site and let's see it already. smiley

+4

Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd Almost here.

Thank goodness.

+2

Report comment
(4y)
(edited)

@TRCIII QUOTE " Ravenousbird I saw your post in the chat that directed us here."

My url redirect in chat was and is for this post only:

dosmovies.com/forum/thread/Moving-news-s....

Your reaction to what you think you saw is protracted and completely inaccurate

As I wrote, re-read things more carefully and please demonstrate a bit more self control in your replies

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@ Not a problem, ma'am. I can do even better than that. Have a good night.

+1

God
Report comment
(4y)
(edited)
+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)
(edited)

@ ... so kewl!! smiley
But brace yourself folks... Everybody turns into a VIRGIN again! True smiley

+1

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,859 reviews • 122,457 films • 18,487 TV series