This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,737 reviews
122,398 films • 18,478 TV series

Medical and Spiritual Causes of Disease (2183 views, 151 replies)

This topic has been closed.

master
Report comment
(5y)

I was asked about physical sickness, and what are the root causes, and if there are spiritual dimensions.

In my undergraduate training and in graduate school, the latest theories are that disease states occur from three root causes.

In Christianity, there are theological causes that are suggested in the text and in the actions of Jesus.

In allopathic medicine (MDs) and in osteopathic medicine (DOs) [which are legally the same occupation and even will have both mixed MD and DO physician/professors at either med school] then disease is caused by a section of genetic code within one's genome having less ability to oppose a disease state. In addition in pharmacology, it appears that one's DNA (genomics) can influence the means of the efficacy of a pharmacological agent.

In a perfect but Orwellian world, medical researchers would know everyone's genome and then based on rigorous peer review, then match up those who have a chance of developing disease states. Then match up what pharmacological agent seems to offer the most benefit with the least side effects, and with the highest efficacy rate to cure the disease.
Read more

+2

expert
Report comment
(5y)

Very interesting, informative read!

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@dragonfly1985 Thank you. This is not a debate but a discussion. All will have insight professionally as healers, counselors, patients, facilitators, families and friends acting as the patient's support network, etc.

I encourage your own insight.

All suffer and most act to heal in some capacity as caregivers.

Some cause suffering too. In fact, most of us do whether we mean to or not.

The plan is to discuss the pre-med path to medicine.

Alternatively the technician and nursing paths to medicine.

The plan is to discuss the various sciences one studies in medicine in graduate school.

The plan is to discuss how that merges with the philosophical and spiritual ethics of beneficence.

The plan is to discuss the spiritual aspects which act to weaken the body, mind, and spirit.

This is not in any way exclusive to Christianity. Any may have insight into various spiritual beliefs.
Read more

+2

master
Report comment
(5y)

This is not in any way exclusive to Christianity. Any may have insight into various spiritual beliefs.

See post #2

Who is God?

See post #5.

Back to the topic. All medicine has a spiritual basis and one aspect from my tradition is this.

41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
Matthew 5:41

The patients can be meek and afraid to ask for help. The patients may not know to ask for help. The patients may be very demanding.

The altruism of caregivers as healers, staff, facilitators, family, friends, has a spiritual requirement to be willing to do twice what they ask for.

Because others will stop visiting, stop listening, stop caring.

The saddest situation that you will ever see is when neonates are born, and some parents are scared they will perish, and begin to visit them less to prepare themselves.

Parents NEVER get over that grief when a child gets sick and dies. It's unnatural and breaks their hearts in thousands of pieces that can never be put back altogether

+1

master
Report comment
(5y)

The spiritual aspects will come up as we explore the steps leading up to the healthcare roles in facilitating the cure of disease and treatment of symptoms in patients. But in a very genuine way, each person involved is working for the "cure of their own souls" too.

Let's talk about nursing. In America, there has been a critical nursing shortage since the mid seventies! It was so bad that there is absolutely no way to acquire enough female nurses in America to cope. As such, what had been considered a "female nurturing role" then encouraged young men to sign up.

Well there was enormous stigma. People grumbled when women began working as craftsmen in factories (like electricians and welders and machinists) but to get guys to be RNs was a difficult sell.

Meanwhile women, who had traditionally chosen to be educators or RNs, had large opportunities to enter just about any job.

So the USA recruited RNs from places like Ireland and the Phillipines. If you think about that, that was robbing Peter to pay Paul. That had to have very negative effects wherever the drawdown occurred.
Read more

Hide 3 replies...

@AnhedoniaNightmare "As women often get married, have children, get stressed by the rigors of life and death decisions, many burn out. "

So men don't? I think that statement is just a tad sexist.

+10

Report comment
(5y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ I completely understand. Bear with me as it unfolds.

By no means is this implying female nurses are weak. If anything, they often are self-sacrificing so MUCH that it interferes with their mental health.

Imagine your work directly affecting your homelife: martiage, personal time, parenting, etc.

+2

master
Report comment
(5y)

What the patient sees vs the family sees is far different than what the physician and RNs sees.

The patient is scared often as they are out of their element and they see right away that most of the staff stays detached.

In medicine, there are two ways to deal with misery and suffering. You either try to connect with each patient so they do not feel ignored, and these folks lend them their presence.

In spirituality this is called "being present in the moment". As GOD is ever present, than those who serve are present with others when suffering. Sometimes you can't actually do anything for the patient except be present as they are slowly dying.

Our being is with their being.

Other healthcare workers will detach INTENTIONALLY as it's so much pain and suffering and sickness, say in a pediatrics oncology ward where sweet innocent children are alone and suffering and not all demanding, and they are dying. And if you connect deeply as a healthcare worker, that really destroys you.
Read more

master
Report comment
(5y)

Families are very very mixed. Typcally a patient who is older and has adult children will have one who has been dealing with a slow decline in their parent's health. Meanwhile the spouse of the patient ie the mom or dad begins having their own issues as what the other was doing,now doesn't get done. So the adult child is pitching in with both taking their parent to the office visits and tests and trying to listen. Then they are trying to pick up the slack on gettings bills paid, cooking, doing chores that cannot be done by the patient.

The spouse is often shocked when it's serious and starts shutting down. Many are not equipped to handle things on their own as they counted upon their spouse for division of labor.

Adult children from out of town then feel horribly guilty while others will detach as their brother/sister is "handling it".

This causes major sibling conflict as all that responsibility is on their shoulders and the adult sibling outside of town is often clueless.
Read more

+1

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare You sent me a PM but sorry due to your privacy settings I can’t respond to your question.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Catiekay4 You can reply here if it's about the topic. I presume you have medical experience based upon your profile.

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare This particular post on this thread stood out to me most. I have went through almost this exact experience in life and to read your words so close to my own story is amazing. You have a gift not only to express through writing but also to reach people.

I have noticed the personal attacks on you from certain members here and just want to say PAY THEM NO MIND as I have dealt with literally the exact insults and attacks from the exact same members. It's not a good way to be towards anyone, especially a new member. Sorry you are experiencing this.

You're an awesome soul and I am glad we are friends. Blessings!

Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A Thank you. The point is to show that very different people suffer during sickness and not just the patients. Then understand why people get sick. This is not about Christianity have the right answers as we don't. No one does.

Report comment
(5y)

Ok to answer your question, no I’m good

+2

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare - I am hanging on to your every word and hoping that a nugget of the less obvious will gleam through what has been up until now background research for an episode of "Gray's Anatomy" or a slower House episode.

Is this going to turn into a Charles Dickens episodic account of the mystery of illness?

Let's assume that there is no God the Father and therefore he/she can't be responsible for the millions of deaths under horrible circumstances such as gassing, torture, dismembering while alive etc. And He/she couldn't be accused of letting those little kids with cancer die either or with the multitude of other conditions and diseases. So there is no blame there. No need to lie about a god loving us and us having to worship him. No need to make up the stories of sending a son to save us and being born of a virgin and making a fool out of his adoptive father. We can put it all down to the evolution of the need to adore a higher entity or energy. But science came along and answered alot of the unanswered questions when the Bible was written. And science saves lives - many, many lives. Even lives with cancer.
Read more

+5

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@..box.. Fair enough.

You do realize that pain management is a huge issue and physicians have created a nightmarish problem. We actually have a looming antibiotic crisis so don't expect a pill to fix everything.

What will happen is more antibiotic cocktails and then...we got nothing in the arsenal. What hapens when MRSA is common? What happens when tuberculosis is common.

What hapoens when Vancomysein stops working?

What happens when Clostridium dificile is frewuently seen?

Look up all the caesous granulomas they are finding in nursing homes. Look up the incidence rate of Xdr TB.

Medicine is not simplistic and anaytical but complex and dealing with beneficience ie pastoral care.

The patient is but a tiny part as sickness affects familial systems. It affects the staff who are overworked. It affects pharmacology and the research process. It affects insurance companies and access and bioethics.
Read more

+1

master
Report comment
(5y)

In America, 70-80 percent of patients fail to take their meds.

Of what use is it to prescribe drugs which are not ingested?

That is the reality of clinical medicine vs silly simplistic pat answers.

If you fail to acheve a therapeutic dose in the bloodstream after taking into pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics, then how do you get overcome the first pass effect of the liver?
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_pa...

I can't wait to hear the retort.

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Apologies for my slowness of typing BUT it is customary to allow time for rebuttal before providing unviewed information. Tut, Tut.

+8

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

Being the father of 2 boys that are older than 17, you have a very high estimation of what the average 17 year knows of a health care system in Europe. Perhaps this is your Appeal to Ridicule?

I am quite aware of the effects that sickness has on the family grouping, be it in the children or the elder members. I have family members working in the Medical system and I have personal experience of the medical system in action.

You have done what many of your credence do when faced with the lack of a religious necessity - invent a crisis, a monster, a devil - or in your case you have invented the "nightmarish problem" of pain management along with an "antibiotic crisis" yet provide no hard evidence that such armageddon like catastrophes exist.

I have much more faith in scientists resolving the problems that you have in fact hypothesised and hyperbolised.

When the drugs, natural remedies, acupunture and all the other forms of medicine stop working, we will look for and find alternatives as we have always done and will always do. Necessity has always been the mother of invention so ...less please of the scaremongering.
Read more

+7

Hide 6 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@..box.. Well Bub, they don't take their meds so how will it matter if by some miracle new antibiotics are created????

I'm incredulous at your naivete.

You have this mistaken idea that spirituality is the problem when the very first things humans do is create spirituality!

The problems in medicine are COMPLIANCE and early detection and healthcare maintenance. Two are patient issues. One is finding rapid testing like the odor tests for cancer.

Spirituality isn't on the list whatsoever. In fact spirituality benefits just about ever aspect.

Weird.

There is little to no hope that new antibiotics will work due to resistance.

The UK did some studies on using essential oils in combinations as germicidals to treat surfaces and that will likely happen in the next decade.

Are you thinking expensive gene therapy and stem cells will become commonplace??? I doubt it. So far we have realistic skin cell guns for burn victims and stem cells for rebuilding bone loss in jaws. That is most of it.
Read more

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Yet again, another gush without waiting. Patience, patience.

Buba, I know you want to show off with all this wonderful knowledge BUT who is going to read it if you don't give you interlocutor the opportunity to give their point of view.

And it never is good to try and predict my thoughts as you will be mistaken a good 70-80% of the time (just like those poor patients who forget to take their medicine). If you are happy with those odds then the other stat should sit well with you in America.

Oh and by the way, see that we are giving out unsubstanciated trivia, I read recently that the end of the world is next Sunday - I read that on twitter somewhere. Must be ok? Trump gives out his truths on it all the time. Amen.

+7

Report comment
(5y)

@..box.. Show off? Weird. Is that what your post is?

The whole reason I created the topic was purely to discuss the complex medical issues that are entwined when people think purely of the suffering of the patient.

Wait until you see what I write next.

Patient compliance is a 100% fixable problem and costs nothing. Take the pill, Goofy.

If you don't, you will be sick, Goofy.

The next step they are considering are healthcare monitors where patients prove compliance through testing as a condition of heathcare.

Expect both insurance companies and the government to jointly enforce that.

Then manditory mental health screening.

Then mandatory vaccinations.

Then manditory STD testing.

Then mandatory BMI maintenance.

Actuaries rate the risk of a patient and then adjust premiums accordingly. So naturally with non-compliance, the insurance company and the government will BOOST the premiums.
Read more

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare This managed to sneak past in the tsunami of statistics and literature.

Well, well. I see you have it all figured out without any help from anyone.

I do not think this is new as I have seen "One flew over the cuckoo's nest" and force feeding medication was the norm back then too.

Electric shock treatment seemed to work until it didn't also.

You government will be so happy and the insurance companies as well.

Devilishly clever!

+6

Report comment
(5y)

@..box.. WHUUUUUUT!

You think that I am advocating forced compliance??????

I AM NOT. It would be akin to taking excrement and smearing it on the Hippocratic Oath.

The second you give government the authority to determine healthcare, then they also have the authority to penalize citizens!

The second you give insurance companies support from the government, then the politicians have broken the sacred trust that exists in a Republic! For in a Republic, citizens lend their power to politicians. An insurance company has no political authority!

Goofy citizens pushed for government healthcare and with a rapidly aging population. That is true for Japan and South Korea, the EU, and the USA.

That means exponential cost increases.

Of course they will do what I said. It is inevitable.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Well it didn't sound like that to me... but maybe you have more success convincing the next victim. Should be one along in about an hour or so - Be sure to have those pills ready and maybe a few injections, to be on the safe side.

Well done you.

Bad Goofy Fellow Citizens.

+6

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

Incredulity in your fellow man may be an issue with you along with the "smartest guy in the room faux syndrome".

I don't know what Americans do with their medication, nor why they would do it, but I am sure there are numerous reports on how they discovered "70-80 percent of patients fail to take their meds." I follow House's Law that "All patients lie about everything". I doubt we have such wastage on this side of the pond, but I do not have data to support this assumption.

References to "First Passed Effects" will not get my juices flowing either as I am not a qualified doctor and I get the feeling you are unlikely to be one either.

Therefore opening a thread on the "medical causes of diseases" is a bit of a misnomer, unless you are actually going consult every disease and ailment (chronic or otherwise) to exist globally. Quite an undertaking.

Patients may or may not want to take their mediciation but that is their decision and the medication should be provided for all patients. And the supposition that a "miracle" new antibiotic which will resolve all these illnesses and diseases you are going to expound here, I am sure will bring those numbers down especially if there is someone there to remind them in the form of a family member, a nurse, a doctor or a caregiver.
Read more

+7

master
Report comment
(5y)

I'm amused because you came out swinging and were insulting in your first post and now are giving me advice plus trying to discredit me? Meanwhile your retorts are useless.

I'm glad when people disagree and especially if they have a rationale. I don't know why you bothered to post?

I get it. You are an antitheist. Are you seriously thinking eliminating clergy is going to help patients??? Their families? Medical missions? Group therapy which is done free at churches?

An antitheist who dismissed spirituality. Gee what a shock.

+1

Hide 10 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Your assumptions as as weary as your factual evidence. I am afraid you are mistaken again Buba.

I post for the same reason you post - to try and talk some common sense into a brick wall.

I live in hope and I have faith that one day it will work. Maybe it is my religion. I just need a charity organisation to collect the takings and I'll have the big three under my belt.

I think that patients of a certain age could live without clergy in Europe. And I haven't see much psychological group therapy done in a church.

We are likely to be living on different planets, by the sounds of it.

+7

Report comment
(5y)

@..box.. How would subtracting clergy help one iota? Do you think what they do serves no purpose to the doctors, nurses, patients, family, policy makers, etc?

Weird. That is obtuse. What you are suggesting is since you loathe religion then all should be denied access to religion when suffering!

Wow! How nutty.

The vast preponderance of group therapy for countless medical conditions use churches for free meeting space. Ignorance is not proof of veracity.

All the cancer, diabetes, lung disease. Then you grief from patient deaths. Then you alcoholism, narcotics anonymous, Al-Anon, etc.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Steady on old chat with the nuts and nuttiness. Organised religion has taken a nose dive in some countries and the number of new clergy is at an all time low - so low infact that they haven't enought to visit the sick so .... if you don't have them, you won't miss them.

When suffering physically, give them medical staff and medicine. If they are suffering psychologically give them the facilities to get better.

And let the priests pray for the medical staff and the taxpayers who pay for it all, in church. Amen.

+7

Report comment
(5y)

@..box.. Your answers are so simplistic as if throwing money at it will make even one patient eat less and exercise and take their medicines.

Could you be more clueless?

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare I could try but then that would be facetious and I do not wish to be with someone like you.

+8

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Have you any type of hyper activity syndrome in your family.

Please refrain from finishing a comment and then edit it to add more ... forget it.

All covered under our wonderful health service freely. Honest. If you want to find paradise, visit Europe where people are treated like ... humans and not cash registers.

+8

Report comment
(5y)

@..box.. Have you considered being evaluated for antisocial personality disorder?

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Honestly, I am fine.

+8

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Come, come Buba ... a little sarcasm cannot be deemed insulting. A touch of humour would not go astray in your discourses.

Discredit the smartest guy on the forum ... nay sire. I am merely lifting up a mirror to reflect your style and effort.

If you feel that there has been insults from my part then accept my apologies.

+7

Report comment
(5y)

@..box.. You think suffering patients and families and harried physicians, and exhausted nurses, and trillions wasted healthcare dollars are a joke.

Uhhhh, most of humanity is very focused on that as it has enormous emotional impact on grief and bereavement, depression, global economy, diplomacy of refugees, epidemiolgy, contagion risk by refugees, etc.

You think these billions suffering are amusing???

You might look up what lack of empathy is indicative of.

I'm not impressed, Box. I heard you were a gadfly but ignoring horrendous suffering is what deeply disturbed people do.

+1

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

I think no such thing and putting words into my mouth will not cover up the fact that your soap box is as small as your communication skills to normal people. Suffering is very close to my thoughts and I cannot abide it.

I do not take it lightly and I do consider that health care is much more important than invading countries and investing billions in defense systems in order to justify handouts to the manufacturers of such systems.

"Trillions wasted healthcare dollars" seems to be a problem for you to sort out via your voting system and your government. Get out there and start a movement instead of sitting here trying to show off and wasting your time. Start a revolution if you want things to get better otherwise you have the status quo. Period.

I am well aware what empathy is - you seem to be paying lipservice yet doing nothing. How many sick people did you cure with your bible pushing? You don't need to be a bible pusher to have empathy. A touch of humanity will do.
Read more

+7

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@..box.. Thanks for participating and all but you are very needy, have nothing to add on the subject, came out swinging, and want to cut off billions from their spiritual systems.

This is as kooky as someone proposing the abolition of all government cause he/she is an anarchist and knows what is best for billions.

Do a reality check, Dude.

The greatest mass murders in modern and postmodern history occurred when religion was banned.

+1

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

If you could provide some proof of neediness and budget slashing (off whom I wonder).

You have been labelling members here since you have arrived which makes me wonder what condition you may be suffering from. Now I am an anarchist while I am defending a government controlled health system, social welfare system and free education.

You really are all over the place which leads me to assume that you are part of the 70-80% who are not taking their medication in the US. If this is the case, your brain is not having a good time and you need to rest.

It is worrying. Please talk to someone - a professional. You have nothing to prove to anyone here. Your health is the most important thing.

Take care.

+9

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@..box.. I actually gave you an upvote because you finally told the truth.

The Spanish anarchists of 1936 were utterly brutal and murdered clergy and nuns because they wanted to ban religion.

Who also caused mass murder?
USSR, China, Cuba, North Korea, North Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, etc.

No thanks. You folks think you know what is best for all of us and then you kill people who resist. That is actually what happened.

Unlike you, I believe in government, the will of the People, natural rights, freedom of expression, freedom of assembly, freedom of religion, freedom of the press, private property, etc.

I believe in autonomy and self-determination.

It's illogical to allow a few to strip the rights of billions. That is not anarchy that is a dictatorship with oligarchical elements.

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Which was ...? The Truth that is. Don't worry, I am happy to be of any use.

But I may have spoke too soon.

PS I am not Spanish, I am not an anarchist and I do not murder people. And I have no connections with USSR, China, Cuba, North Korea, North Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia (which happen to be not so friendly with the US - OK I get it)

I shall not kill you, I promise. I don't even have a weapon of mass destruction. Whatever happened to the WMDs?

PPS - so the thing about the medical and spiritual causes of death - all cleared up I take it? Good.

+7

master
Report comment
(5y)

Now atheism has been recognized as a spiritual system by the US Supreme Court. There are atheist meeting houses.

Atheism can be very spiritual as humanism has been an aspect of atheism since the Greeks and Romans.

If this life is ALL there is, then caring for each other intensely matters. Seneca wrote about ethics and humanism and was an atheist. Thomas Paine was an athiest and humanist.

But denying billions their rights to have spiritual counselors is not enlightened at all nor humanism but a grotesque abomination.

+1

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare For example some Zen Buddhists are atheists and deeply spiritual. Throughout history they acted in beneficial ways at great risk to their lives.

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

ah! Yes ... Crutchbender did mention something about the LWS that runs through your threads. How naughty of you.

+7

master
Report comment
(5y)

www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond...

"Symptoms
Antisocial personality disorder signs and symptoms may include:
Disregard for right and wrong
Persistent lying or deceit to exploit others
Being callous, cynical and disrespectful of others
Using charm or wit to manipulate others for personal gain or personal pleasure
Arrogance, a sense of superiority and being extremely opinionated
Recurring problems with the law, including criminal behavior
Repeatedly violating the rights of others through intimidation and dishonesty
Impulsiveness or failure to plan ahead
Hostility, significant irritability, agitation, aggression or violence
Lack of empathy for others and lack of remorse about harming others
Unnecessary risk-taking or dangerous behavior with no regard for the safety of self or others
Poor or abusive relationships
Failure to consider the negative consequences of behavior or learn from them
Read more

+1

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Are you describing YOU?

+4

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 @DemandingFemale If you feel this way, then please REPORT the member.

Dr Evil does not overview all these threads and depends on reports.

Moderators are of no use here.

Thank you.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@ feel this way*

No idea why you posted this reply to ME.

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 Then disregard. It is a reply to all members. Report me, if you feel that I'd warranted. Thank you.

+1

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

I do wonder if this is directed towards me or a reflection of what can be seen in the mirror I was holding up.

Internet psychology is a bit like (and I quote) ".... evangelism on the Internet is abiblical and unlikely to persuade anyone."

I would suggest for your own sake to take some of the advice that has been offered to you and seek professional help.

Blessed Be.

+7

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@..box.. I would say that to take away the right of billions as you proposed is so egregious that you may be the most pompous poster I have ever met who is totally obtuse regarding basic political theory.

The abolition of all spiritual systems would likely create the worst war the Earth has ever faced. It would unleash carnage and devastation. The world would be misery, death, world-wide contagion, chaos, and ashes.

Yet, you propose that is preferable!

This is why you are an anarchist. You would destroy all semblance of Rule of Law!

Dolt!

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Earth calling the nightmare ... Earth calling the nightmare ...

Please provide evidence of taking rights of billions STOP I was not aware that political theory was under discussion STOP

Abolition of all sipritual systems is figment of your overworked imagination STOP

Still not an anarchist STOP Never have been, never will be STOP

DO what? STOP

See Below STOP

Can we wrap this up before the second coming? STOP

AMEN

+7

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

I am still waiting for the plan to explain ... the Medical and Spiritual Causes of Disease.

So I shall keep it simple and maybe you can retort with a concise, understandable answer?

Can you please inform the readers as to what are (in your most humble opinion) the Medical and Spiritual causes of ...

1. Type 2 Diabetes
2. Acne
3. Adult ADHD
4. Asperger Syndrome
5. Bipolar Disorder

I await your concise, understandable response.

+8

Hide 22 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@..box.. Bye Box. You remind me of a very annoying mosquito.

You are horribly embarrasing yourself. I think it's sickening to encourage you.

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Then I take it that you do not wish to play in the fairground of Spirituality, Mindfulness, Theology and Philosophy?

And you give up so easily when challenged, don't you Mr/Mz Nightiemare. I fear embarrassment is not in my dictionary nor yours by the sounds of things.

What a pittitty! I really thought we were making real progress on force feeding medication to the patients. Were you thinking of out-patient treatment also? And I suppose the homebirds are the worst offenders -

UP WITH THEIR PREMIUMS!

Devilish!

+8

master
Report comment
(5y)

I have emphaticly endorsed the natural and civil rights for all women for sixty years as it is absolutely Biblical according to Galatians 3. Certainly that carried over into my academic and professional life within my occupation as well as within my adult spiritual life.

I find it bizarre that any who claim to be feminist or generally supportive of women would call another "an irritating twat". A twat is a fool and vagina. Look it up. As such, it is misogynistic implying that a women is an irritating fool.

To call a man a irritating twat implies that he is unmanly and irritating and a foolish woman. That is bizarre, and misogynistic as if a man is superior, but by relabeling then is inferior. That is not only misogynistic, it is ridiculous. It is additionally puerile.

I denounce anyone who is misogynistic as a horrendous bigot as that insults BILLIONS making up half of the entire Earth's population and is so malevolent that all men should denounce dolts who perpetuate stereotypes associating women with fools.

+1

master
Report comment
(5y)

Thomas Paine was NOT a deist whatsoever but an atheist, a rather strong one. As many of the Founding Fathers in America were deists and Christians, and natural theory as proposed by John Locke stated that natural rights derived from God, Paine inisited that "Nature" be a name for the source of natural rights.

He won and so you will find Founding Fathers saying "God or Nature" is the source of natural rights".

...It would be more consistent that we call [the Bible] the work of a demon than the word of God. It is a history of wickedness that has served to corrupt and brutalize mankind.
Thomas Paine

I of course to do not agree with Thomas Paine whatsoever.

Natural rights theory certainly plays a role in medicine. In fact, in America all medical centers and hospitals and even clinics have a listing of the rights of patients and these derive from natural and civil rights theory.

+1

Hide 1 reply...

master
Report comment
(5y)

For Thomas Paine, that "god" was Nature. This is the problem with the generic term "God" as that can literally mean anything.

Thomas Paine was such an irritating figure that he stirred up immense controversy that even ardent fellow atheists in control during the French Revolution threw him in jail.

He also was a brilliant writer and his "Common Sense" pamphlet is widely read to this day.

"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church .

All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."
Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason

He in essence created an atheist church of ONE...himself and for Thomas Paine that "god" was Nature. He did not worship Nature but recognized Nature as being the architect of a mechanistic universe. And that Nature was the source of natural rights ie that all people have inherrent (derived at birth) and inalienabe (cannot be taken away) rights to private property, self-defense, freedom of speech, etc.
Read more

+1

Hide 2 replies...

master
Report comment
(5y)

Of all the systems of religion that ever were invented, there is no more derogatory to the Almighty, more unedifying to man, more repugnant to reason, and more contradictory to itself than this thing called Christianity. Too absurd for belief, too impossible to convince, and too inconsistent for practice, it renders the heart torpid or produces only atheists or fanatics. As an engine of power, it serves the purpose of despotism, and as a means of wealth, the avarice of priests, but so far as respects the good of man in general it leads to nothing here or hereafter.
Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason

That is not the writing of a deist. A deist recognizes an Almighty ie Supreme Being. He is saying Christianity produces atheists as a byproduct. He does not say deists.

Thomas Paine was possibly the leading atheist writer of political theory in his day.

+1

Hide 1 reply...

master
Report comment
(5y)

I am amused when dolts cherry pick from a clearly atheist writer who assigns Nature as his "god" and who self declared detaching himself from ALL CHURCHES and created his own church of one.

At the time of the American colonial period, had Thomas Paine "outed" himself as an atheist, he would not sold many pamphlets. He alligned himself with deists and is considered a Founding Father but a terrible rogue. Then fled to France and stirred up the rabble, and nearly was guillotined himself.

+1

Hide 1 reply...

master
Report comment
(5y)

The most detestable wickedness, the most horrid cruelties, and the greatest miseries, that have afflicted the human race have had their origin in this thing called revelation, or revealed religion. It has been the most dishonourable belief against the character of the divinity, the most destructive to morality, and the peace and happiness of man, that ever was propagated since man began to exist. It is better, far better, that we admitted, if it were possible, a thousand devils to roam at large, and to preach publicly the doctrine of devils, if there were any such, than that we permitted one such impostor and monster as Moses, Joshua, Samuel, and the Bible prophets, to come with the pretended word of God in his mouth, and have credit among us.

Whence arose all the horrid assassinations of whole nations of men, women, and infants, with which the Bible is filled; and the bloody persecutions, and tortures unto death and religious wars, that since that time have laid Europe in blood and ashes; whence arose they, but from this impious thing called revealed religion, and this monstrous belief that God has spoken to man? The lies of the Bible have been the cause of the one, and the lies of the Testament of the other.
Read more

+1

Hide 2 replies...

master
Report comment
(5y)

Thomas Paine praises Nature. He was mocking God ie YHWH the Judeo-Christian God.

Thomas Paine created an atheist religion of one and an idol that was Nature. He did not worship Nature but recognized that superior force gave rise to the Universe.

That is why he is considered an atheist icon. Obviously some are too dense to understand his writings.

master
Report comment
(5y)

whence arose they, but from this impious thing called revealed religion, and this monstrous belief that God has spoken to man?
Thomas Paine

Read it. To Thomas Paine "God" does NOT communicate to humanity. Why? He states he is not a member of any recognized church...period. He despised all Of them.

Instead he just pulled a church out of his buttocks and his idol is Nature as a creative superior force that gave rise to the Universe and is the author of natural rights.

This Nature is also malevolent. It causes disease. It's a warped concept.

+2

Hide 2 replies...

master
Report comment
(5y)

I am bellylaughing in pure guffaws.

Thomas Paine was a charlatan who invented an idol just to mock the idea of a JudeoChristian God named Yahweh. So whenever his peers were discussing God, Paine was insisting that a detached unknowable Nature that does not communicate but just creates and destroys is the true God.

It's silly really.

Now a pantheist believes in the concept that the Universe is what people label God. There are Native Americans who believe in the Spirit Who Walks In All Things. In that system then each of us a microcosm of the Universe.

As such then when any creature suffers then all suffer as all are ONE. For a pantheist then we are linked and we perceive we are individuals only because we have limited senses and/or are unenlightened due to insufficient contemplation.

The famous Thicht Nan Hahn (which I likely mispelled) who is Buddhist priest and written many books stated this. He said why do you harm your brother/sister or feel no sympathy for your brother/sister? This would be like the right hand harming the left hand. It would be like the right disrespecting the left hand.
Read more

+1

master
Report comment
(5y)

Now Thomas Jefferson was a deist. And then (and this is wildly amusing) just cut out pages from the Bible willy nilly that he disagreed with!

Look up a Jeffersonian Bible.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferso...

As a Deist, he believed that God does reveal himself in the Bible, but disagreed that Jesus was the Son of God. He believed that Jesus was just a great moral teacher.

Now that is a fairly common Deist idea held by many folks who may think they are Christians when actually they are Deists.

George Washington was this kind of Deist as well. That form believes in a generic Supreme Being that controls or at least initiated a mechanistic universe as an architect. That is what made me laugh earlier when I was accused of believing in that form of "God" as that form does give children cancer!

I am not at all a deist, an atheist, a patheist, or a Buddhist. I am a Christian.

[Certain proponents lf various spiritual systems get upset when you capitalize their belief system. ...
Read more

+1

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare We actually have Deist churches in America, often in large cities, that use Jeffersonian Bibles.

master
Report comment
(5y)

Other deists strictly believe in a Superior Force that cannot be understood as a being in the way we consider creatures. It is so above us as to undefinable. As such, that form of deist often believes that this Superior Force just began the universe.

One could say that this form of deist believes this Superior Force started the Big Bang and may have done nothing else. Or it might have been an architect but has no interaction but is dispassionate with what is the result.

That would be like a scientist who creates living conditions in an aquarium and creatures are within but the scientist has no interaction whatsoever.

master
Report comment
(5y)

Hinduism has many gods. Islam is monotheistic and to them Jesus is a very important prophet. Ideally some adherent from either or both would comment regarding their beliefs and suffering and in medicine especially pastoral care.

Likewise anyone of any faith might have insight on the subject

admin
Report comment
(5y)

I don't have time to read all this wall of text. But I have a ban hammer. Respect our TOS please.

+7

Hide 8 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil Are you saying my posts are too long? Is length a violation of ToS?

Report comment
(5y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare No, this thread is huge.
No.

+5

Report comment
(5y)

@Dr.Evil I respect your site and your ToS and rule five applies to all and is a noble goal.

Report comment
(5y)
+4

Report comment
(5y)

@ Not yet RB

Just finishing the last point.

Report comment
(5y)

@ RB I think the thread has run its course as it was an empty one from the very beginning and did not contribute to the community as its title suggested.

Closure would be best to put us out of our misery.

Be a good god.

+5

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! The mosquito in a box is back for more parley with the good nightmare.

Let us now return to the theme of the thread as it seems to have been quite lost among the squabbles over our very own ThomasinaPaine (fame at last my Democratic friend).

Seeing that the title refers to the “Medical and Spiritual causes of diseases”, I challenged the OP to answer the following question, and perhaps shine some light on the very existence of this black hole in cyberspace.

Can you please inform the readers as to what are (in your most humble opinion) the Medical and Spiritual causes of ...

1. Type 2 Diabetes
2. Acne
3. Adult ADHD
4. Asperger Syndrome
5. Bipolar Disorder

His considered answer was ...

You can read what you wish into that.

Being on the side of medicine and science, I made a quick foray into an online medical dictionary as I have no studies in the field and I found quantities of information that I managed to whittle down into the following ...
Read more

+5

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

3. Adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder

Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), usually first diagnosed in childhood, can appear in a variety of forms and has many possible causes. People with ADHD probably have an underlying genetic vulnerability to developing it, but the severity of the problem is also influenced by the environment. Conflict and stress tend to make it worse.

About one-third[1](p44) to two-thirds[2] of children with symptoms from early childhood continue to demonstrate notable ADHD symptoms throughout life.
Three subtypes of ADHD are identified in the DSM-5 as:
• Predominantly Inattentive (ADHD-PI)
• Predominantly Hyperactive (ADHD-PH)
• Combined type (ADHD-C)
In later life, the hyperactive/impulsive subtype manifests less frequently.[1](p44) The hyperactivity symptoms tend to turn more into "inner restlessness", starting in adolescence and carrying on in adulthood.[3]
Adult ADHD is typically marked by inattentiveness, difficulty getting work done, procrastination and organizational problems. Specifically, adults with ADHD present with persistent difficulties in following directions, remembering information, concentrating, organizing tasks, completing work within specified time frames and appearing timely in appointments. These difficulties affect several different areas of an ADHD adult's life, causing emotional, social, vocational, marital, legal, financial and/or academic problems.[4][5][6] As a result, low self-esteem is commonly developed. However, given the right guidance and coaching, these traits of ADHD could also lead to career success.[7]
Read more

+2

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

5. Bipolar disorder

Definition

Bipolar disorder, formerly known as manic depression, is a mood disorder that causes radical emotional changes and mood swings, from manic, restless highs to depressive, listless lows. Most bipolar individuals experience alternating episodes of mania and depression.
Description

Bipolar disorder is characterized by alternating manic episodes in which the individual feels abnormally euphoric, optimistic, and energetic and depressive periods in which the individual feels sad, hopeless, guilty, and sometimes suicidal. Manic or depressive periods may last for days, weeks, or months and run the spectrum from mild to severe. These episodes may be separated by periods of emotional stability in which the individual functions normally.
Bipolar I disorder is characterized by at least one manic episode without a major depressive episode. Manic episodes are the "high" of the manic-depressive cycle. A person experiencing a manic episode often has feelings of self-importance, elation, talkativeness, increased sociability, and a desire to embark on goal-oriented activities, coupled with the characteristics of irritability, impatience, impulsiveness, hyperactivity, and a decreased need for sleep. Usually this manic period is followed by a period of severe depression, although a few individuals may not experience a major depressive episode.
Read more

+1

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

Perhaps the OP can inform of the Spiritual Causes of Cancer, Parkinsons, Addison Disease or any of the hundreds available. Maybe he could use the information supplied above to help us understand the Title of his Thread.

Yours

BOX

+3

guru
Report comment
(5y)

I certainly never thought I'd find such a plethora of information on Thomas Paine in a thread titled "Medical and Spiritual causes of diseases".

Oh and BTW, touche' Monsieur Boite, touche' indeed.

+3

master
Report comment
(5y)

There are thousands and thousands of diseases and medical condition. Some of these are controversial regarding mental illness.

If we were to discuss specific medical diseases and medical conditions AND discuss what the general medical and spiritual causes, the topic would be closed.

If anyone is interested, most frequently at uptodate, one can get free access to the latest peer-reviewed research. They are extremely stringent on what gets published as it's a resource for clinicians.

I am trying to write as briefly as possible.

In medical school, a student who has a foundation of physics, mathematics including calculus, biology, chemistry (including organic but PChem is suggested)...

...will the take gross anatomy, histology, embryology, physiology, biochemistry, behavioral science, biostatistics, neurology, pathology, nutrition (either seperate or a component of biochem), pharmacology, genetics, microbiology, immunology,basic diagnostics for clinical practice, shadow a physician and be assessed, etc.
Read more

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

Having already done half the work, I again ask the OP inform of the Spiritual Causes of the diseases and conditions mentioned.

If you cannot provide such information then I would question the need for this thread or future threads created by this OP, as it is clear he has no substance to back up and inform on his Tabloid Headlines, creating confusion among the community and wasting valuable time that he may have, but which is in short supply for the general community here.

The term charlatan springs to mind when considering this member's status within the community. Let it be known that he has been found out, this charlatan nightmare and his childish word play.

Please refrain from participating in this charlatan's future threads as here you have witnessed his feeble efforts to arouse interest in an empty thread.

Yours

BOX

I particularly found the BiPolar description very interesing.

+6

master
Report comment
(5y)

I can talk about the science of medicine say the divergence from a healthy state one would see in histology (microscopic slides indicating normal variants) versus pathology (microscopic slides that show abberant varients).

Gross anatomy is taken to comprehend normal healthy variants. Embryology studies normal healthy development with indication of what what go awry (the students don't have enough foundation to get anything more than a glimmer). Then in pathology the students are taught some abnormal varients which cause disease.

Each component builds a foundation, then is rigorous, and many students who though they were intelligent then falter as it becomes enormously complex.

Say you were discussing the possible viruses and bacteria that might cause a skin irritation that results in the formation of an infection that forms a pustule.

Well there are 5000 typed bacteria as I recall but scientists feel only 8% are harmful as we have so little knowledge. Then microbiologists believe there may be millions.
Read more

+1

master
Report comment
(4y)

What films depict healthy responses of caregivers to prevent disease or treat disease? What films show humanism or spirituality as part of that process?

Explain.

Add internal links to these films in your answers.

What films demonstrate how patients are causing their own medical issues and or exacerbating their decline in health?

What films show medical errors leading to delays in treatment and even patients perishing?

Hide 4 replies...

master
Report comment
(4y)

Imagine that you are a sick patient with Pancreatic cancer and all you have as your support is Crotchety.

This is why people give up. He's like stepping into a bath of sulphuric acid.

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Well he (like everyone that has come into contact with you) has you well figured out.

A clinical diagnosis couldn't be more accurate.

What I don't understand is why? You have been outed so many times on so many subjects by so many people here and yet you persist.

Dear Lord,

My prayer to you is in the form of a question - Is Heaven full of people like A. N. Nightmare?

If the answer is yes, then whatever plans you have for me, make sure I go to the other place because Hell must be a whole lot better than having to put up with the likes of this douchebag (see definition below).

Have mercy on us O Lord, Have Mercy. Amen

* douchebag

The term "douchebag" generally refers to a male with a certain combination of obnoxious characteristics related to attitude, social ineptitude, public behavior, or outward presentation.
Read more

+6

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,737 reviews • 122,398 films • 18,478 TV series