This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,650 reviews
122,383 films • 18,475 TV series

I was wondering about the people in the US (721 views, 12 replies)

This topic has been closed.

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

The people in the US that has to pay rent to their landlord and can't work because of the virus . (Will ) the government help these people ,so they will not get kicked out on the streets .will the government help with food for the US because of the virus ? Since people don't have jobs to see to their health ,could the government help with these people with health care . I would like to know what you think ,Please share !

+2

expert
Report comment
(4y)

That is a complicated question b/c the United States is not a single nation like France or China or most of the nations of the world. Rather it is a union of sovereign states that have given some of their sovereignty to a unifying super-government. It is more unified than an EU like confederacy but it is not a single nation-state. Authority to distribute things rightfully belongs to the state governments and not the central government but since WW2 our central government has assumed authority and powers not originally granted to it - mostly b/c it is the central taxing authority. It collects taxes on a level impossible by the individual states and then redistributes that money to the state governments with all sorts of controls and mandates - which is how it exercises most of its mandates (Caesar's coin, Caesar's rules).

Just Wedness 25 March 2020, an aid package to the population passed the national legislature which will see short term aid for the vast majority of Americans - now we get to see how that aid package gets distributed. There are a lot of details that our media will misrepresent or spin in different ways to make sure that the people are upset enough to support their respective political parties (and consume more 'infotainment' - we really don't have objective news here in the states).
Read more

+3

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)

@waderex Canada. Landlords are not allowed to evict. Anyone who can not work because of the virus will receive $2000 a month. I work in a hospital. I'm front line. I don't bring in $2000 a month! Business that have to close will receive $$. We are closing off our Provinces as we speak. Grocery stores are opened but only receive a small amount of people at a time...they are lined up outside the stores. Parks are closed. Schools closed. Restaurants are drive thru.
This would have cleared up in a month if everyone stayed the hell home, inside!

+2

God
Report comment
(4y)

They are going to be sending out checks (hopefully) $1200 for individuals and $2400 married couples plus $500 for each child. There are stipulations for people making $75,000 a year and up 💋

+2

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)
(edited)

@Teeny💋 Thank you for the info ,I really hope so , because people can't pay their rent ,then the landlord will kick them out just to be mean. I seen it happen to a lot of people where I use to live .

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@gregsohappy Many landlords also have bills to pay. Slumlords are a different story.

+1

senior master
Report comment
(4y)

Kellyann, that is similar to NZ. Everything except pharmacies and supermarkets closed.
Even McDonalds and booze shops closed, how will people live???
But we have 2 weeks start on the Europe and people are observing the lockdown rules so we hope to come through okay.

+1

senior master
Report comment
(4y)

Well, USA, we will soon see which of our leaders are putting their citizens' interests first.

+4

Report comment
(4y)

I’m also from Canada, Saskatchewan to be exact, I live about an hour from the US border into Montana. Right now Canada considers the United States their biggest obstacle to fighting COVID19 even though the borders are mostly closed to travelers. Each province has their own laws and measures in place regarding what people can and cannot do and Sask has been especially strict; if you come back from international or interprovincial travel and refuse to quarantine you could pay up to 2 grand in fines or in severe cases be charged with negligence, all businesses are closed except for essential services. I’m a social worker and I work in a care home for people with disabilities so I’m considered an essential service worker, I’m allowed to go to work, home and the grocery store, that’s it. My residents aren’t allowed to leave the house they live in except to take short drives in which the worker or the resident cannot get out of the car or go to the fenced in backyard for fresh air. No visitors are allowed to enter the house, no family, no workmen or anyone not approved, if they try we can have them arrested. We can’t have “gatherings” in public of over ten people, no funerals, no weddings, no churches are allowed to have in person worship services. No restaurants are allowed to be open unless it’s take out and they need a closed off area for pick up or do it by delivery with payment over e-transfer, all stores allowed to be open have taped off walking areas and line areas marking where you can stand to be within the regulated “safe distance”. All public parks, dog parks, playgrounds, school grounds, youth centers and community centers are closed and off limits; the only exception are homeless shelters that serve food, they must serve food by gloved and masked people, they have to sit two meters apart to eat and on disposable plates. All small medical centers, doctors offices, physiotherapy, massage, chiropractors, optometrists, and dentist offices are closed and can only be opened for emergency services. Daycares can only house up to eight children per room and only for children of essential workers.
Read more

+1

top expert
Report comment
(4y)

I'm waiting for the result of my Covid test, been sick for over a week now, I think it's just a nasty cold but my boss (wife) made me get the test. We've been in our home from the start of me not feeling well. Since it's just my wife & I (and our "hairy kids") & when we needed groceries we used the grocers delivery option. We pay online & leave a tip outside for the driver who knocks on our door & leaves the order at the door, grabs his tip and goes. Better safe than sorry! I was supposed to be leaving to visit my son & grandson next week but even if it's just a cold I don't want to get anyone else sick....especially my son/grandson. My wife still has no symptoms which makes me feel better about things, too many idiots just going about their days without a care in the world. They might want to care that they're idiots, but that's just me.....the cranky, old, ugly fat guy! To whomever posted the Cartoon of our Bloated/Idiotic Prez....THANK YOU! First laugh I've had in awhile!

+2

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@darose16 do not take Advil, take tylenol , because People with the virus ,they found out that Advil makes it 10 time worst on the people and they don't bounce back as fast .

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@gregsohappy Please don't believe anecdotal tweets and such and then pass it on as fact...."The World Health Organization (WHO) told The Verge that it is not aware of any studies showing ibuprofen could be dangerous for COVID-19 patients. “We are consulting with physicians treating COVID-19 patients and are not aware of reports of any negative effects of ibuprofen, beyond the usual known side effects that limit its use in certain populations,” a WHO spokesperson said in an emailed statement. “Based on currently available information, WHO does not recommend against the use of ibuprofen.”
As far as evictions in the US, several states have have put a halt to all evictions due to Covid-19. Some large companies like Disney are paying their park employees at least through mid-April even though the parks are closed. I have read about other businesses doing similar.

+1

top expert
Report comment
(4y)

states have requested, but cant legally make landlords comply, utility companies run by cities have to comply, even banks and sheriff offices have put a halt to eviction notices....... ethically and morally the persons who decide to go through with anything during this current event will most likely earn an eternal black eye that could hurt their bottom line more in the long run............... consider a moment like this as making people be nice even if dont have to, cause if they dont, no one will forget and that fear of possible financial repercussion isn't worth it. ever heard the saying fake it till you make it? with current situation ongoing, will be interesting to see how people and places behave and for how long. once this emergency ends.

+1

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,650 reviews • 122,383 films • 18,475 TV series