This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,649 reviews
122,383 films • 18,475 TV series

I need to talk about The Handmaids Tale (1591 views, 52 replies)

This topic has been closed.

senior guru

(Please don't read unless you have seen the latest episode).

Because I watched it yesterday, then went to work and just could NOT get it out of my head.
Traumatised is probably the best way to describe how I felt.
I don't know quite what it is about this show that makes it just STAY with me. The tension in this episode as she was going back and forth to the house had me gritting my teeth.
The interaction between the Waterford's, the way things Serena says and does make me swing from feeling pity for her to hating her.
June giving birth.. my god I was there with her. I was physically shaking by the end of that.

And the wolf.
I feel like there was something very symbolic there. A lone wolf, but a bold one. I think we may see more of him/her (her I think).

There have been moments in other shows that have left me in shock or emotional - GOT being one & Code Black never fails to make me cry - but it's a momentary thing. And generally will have me shouting at the screen.
Read more

+7

Hide 7 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ What a brilliant post. I just want to give you a big hug! I feel the same way, but with the caveat that it is quite cathartic for me. I have a background that is not the nicest so I usually keep it to myself and do lots of yoga therefore sometimes when I stumble upon a actor that can convey my trapped emotions, it breaks down yet another wee piece of the wall and I can shed tears for the loss and suffering I endured. It's like some form of therapy for me! Thank you for this post! :)

+2

@ I hope you are healing

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ You as well. If it feels traumatic, it is. <br>

Report comment
(5y)

Report comment
(5y)

Report comment
(5y)

@ Oh my gosh my mouse is triple posting now. Excuse me whilst I cringe in embarrassment!

Report comment
(5y)

@ I agree with everything you said above. She really does release trapped emotions when I watch her. Probably why I relate to her so much in every character I see. Watching her reminds me of working at this treatment center awhile back. They had a day called "Gump" day. It was were all the patients that had any kind of trauma in their past (which that all did) watched the part in Forrest Gump where Jenny is throwing the rocks at the house she grew up in and Forrest bulldozing it.Then we had a drum ceremony and the patients broke glass, tore up boxes, punched pillows, yelled, screamed etc. Very very emotional to go through with people. smiley

+1

God
Report comment
(5y)

I understand completely what you are saying! I can't get enough of this show but after each episode I am emotionally drained. I have always related to Elisabeth Moss' characters in everything I've seen her in. But this one her character reaches out and grabs you. The story is so dark and twisted but I can't seem to look away. I will think about and episode for days after watching it especially this season. My husband doesn't watch this one which drives me crazy bc I don't get to discuss it except for in the comments. This has been a great show and i don't think anything will ever compare to it. It almost sucks to find a show this intense and this good and then all of a sudden it's gone. I guess we will have to ban together and find something else to distract us until it comes back next season. <br> ....and yes that going back and forth to the house was killing me. smiley

+2

Hide 4 replies...

@Teeny💋 I don't have anyone around me who watches it either, and I NEEDED to talk about this show. Hence this thread. I suppose we can use this as a support group when it's over.

+2

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ I may have a solution, Duckie tells me that two weeks after Handmaids Tale ends we are getting a new series of Orange Is The New Black. The trials and tribulations of women in prison will be some lovely, much needed light relief lol. Only prob is Netflix are bound to release it all at once. So it'll be a distraction for about two days.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ If you like Orange Is the New Black, have you seen Wentworth Prison? It's brilliant. It's an Australian version of the same, but grittier in my opinion. (I like it better, but that's just me.)

@ Yds, it just about made my day when I saw a new episode of that pop up, I have another prison drama (vis-a-vis) on my to watch list now that Teeny recommended after we both posted about Wentworth. No eps on here yet though.

God
Report comment
(5y)

I wish I could help, but I haven't watched any of the second season yet. And you might be better off with a woman's perspective, anyway. I CAN comment on the first season. It doesn't seem realistic to me. If genertaing children was the goal, the women "breeders" would not be kept under such extreme stress. It's bad for their health. I don't think it would be anything like this. I believe that those able to give birth would be traeted with the utmost respect, and cared for like fragile glass. THEY would have the power. I think you bought into a faulty premise, that requires you to think with your emotions. But hey...I'm just a man. What do I know? Nothing...society tells me.

+2

Hide 1 reply...

@bondojoe I do agree, and would also like to think that the reality would be so much better. But human's are flawed, and anyone holding any real power is often feared - or to be feared. What happens in this show is fiction and abhorrent to us, but as there are still parts of the world where women are treated as the underclass I guess for some it's perhaps closer to reality. Not that they would ever get to see this. However, I don't know that this is a 'woman's show', I am sure men are just horrified as women. Maybe more so as it is men who are the main protagonists - and I would love to hear male perspectives on this.

master
Report comment
(5y)

I couldn't watch past season 1 im afraid, too harrowing, while I understand what Bondojoe is saying, unfortunately, being pregnant is not fun for most of us and if you only wanted 2-3 children, the powers that be 'men' wouldn't like that, so they beat you down from the start so you have no say in how many times you get pregnant or with who, and if you miscarry like most of us, we would be worthless and probably sent to the kitchens, just my 'lighthearted' view.

+2

Hide 3 replies...

@ijaija First up, I feel for anyone in (what I assume to be) your situation. Happened to me a few times before I did eventually have a child. But, again, to stir emotions in you, to the point that you cannot watch - it's kind of evil genius of the producers of this, because how many shows have that effect on people.

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ I did go on to have 2 boys lost 3 girls, I do consider myself very lucky as you probably do, I just thought the show was way too heavy so the writers did their job but to the point I cant watch, I dont want to imagine a future like that, im too mouthy to let a man control me so id probably be dead after day one,lol,

+1

@ijaija I do indeed. <br> Haha, oh yes me too. They would have me on the wall in no time at all.

+2

God
Report comment
(5y)

It's true that power corrupts. And there are parts of the world where women probably won't get to see this. As a man, I don't see where the advantage, or pleasure would lie in dominating someone that has no way of resisiting. If anything, it's the opposite for me. I find women more interesting when they hold the upper hand. I know there are a lot of men that want domination over women. And I know that most women in the world are treated unfairly. Many men crush their dreams, and ruin their lives. Women have to bear some of the burden. They have to push back against dominating men. This is a problem for some, as i'm sure you know, some women WANT to be dominated. Some women dress and act, strictly for the purpose of sexual stimulation. [strippers] <br> [ Kardashians...lol] But unless we adhere to a monogomous structure, people ARE going to get hurt. And in this age of polyamorous relationships, that doesn't seem likely. I think the "war of the sexes" is likely to continue much as it has for thousands of years. ...
Read more

+1

God
Report comment
(5y)

Maybe I can be more precise. The women in this show are ALSO complicit. They also want the women to bear children, abnd indeed are part of the disciplinary function. I know it's said that it is a man's world. But in my family, and all the friends that I have, it is the women that are really making the decisions. They are the controlling factor. And if they find themselves in a relationship with an alpha male, I have noticed that they leave him, and find someone more docile. My Uncles let their wives tell them where to go, and when. I like the show. And I know that all over the world woman are treated like second class citizens, but I think the women in America have a choice. You don't HAVE to be. I know that many women have been speaking up recently. and that's a GOOD thing. But you can't entice a man, and then blame him if he acts on it. In some cases, I think that is the case. If you go to a man's hotel room at two in the morning, don't expect a discussion on politics.

+1

Hide 7 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe Yes, the women in this extreme dystopian society of religion are misogynists. Misogyny is not reserved for men only. Women can be very misogynistic! The whole conflict you just described is completely accurate for this show. Heart-wrenching.

Report comment
(5y)

@ We're not going to get anywhere unless we solve that. We will just raise more misogonystic little boys and girls. learning to play their role. But is it soley a social construct, or does some of it lie in biology? How much free will DO we have? Why do boys gravitate towards trucks, and girls towards dolls? Why do men strive to show off for women, and women work to be seen, and approved of by men? CAN we overcome racial memory?

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe I can say that they all like a lot of the same things when they're small and if you let them, they decide for themselves. I had to not allow my son to take a pink fluffy ended pencil to his first day of school, not because he was wrong for liking it, but because I didn't want him to be teased from the get go (I did buy it, but it was for home). I explained it to him, which was hard because he was small, but because we had a lot of communication even then, he trusted me. I didn't put my foot down and say NO! which would have hurt him endlessly. If a parent can remove their own preferences and see their child as a separate being, they reveal who they are as you guide them. But too few parents do that for many reasons. I don't understand the "racial memory" bit though, because we are homosapiens and one race. Ethnic memory? Not sure what you mean so feel free to explain, I'm not judging, just don't understand the question. ...
Read more

Report comment
(5y)

@ Racial Memmory... feelings, patterns of thought, and fragments of experience that have been transmitted from generation to generation in all humans and have deeply influenced the mind and behavior. [Wikipedia] In psychology, genetic memory is a memory present at birth that exists and is incorporated into the genome over long spans of time. It is based on the idea that common experiences of a species become incorporated into its genetic code. It is practice that has beome so ingrained in our memory, and actions that it has become a part of our genetic code, and CANNOT be removed. It is simply passed on from generation to generation.

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe Thank you. I guess I could've G00gled it, but I preferred to learn what you intended it to mean. Gosh, that's complex, isn't it? It's got nature vs nurture in there, too, doesn't it? I don't feel qualified to answer it, to be honest, but I'd hope that we could all get over this need for such heavy and definitive boundaries and just be. There seems to be so much inclusion via definition of being different that now inclusion is exclusion and separatism. I've lived in about 48 countries and people are different, but the same. We all want community, connection, and a purpose. It's a common thread. Other than that, I guess I don't have much to offer in terms of an answer, so I guess that will suffice for now. Good question, though!

Report comment
(5y)

@ Men and women may have a lot in common, but I think it is the differences in us that will eventually help us to mutual equality. I don't want to spend my time with a man, if I can spend it with a woman that I like...And a woman CERTAINLY wouldn't want me to treat her the way I treat other men!

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe I would agree with that. :)

master
Report comment
(5y)

I was just about to say what you have, the women in charge made my blood boil, but its just a show so i dont have to watch it, there are good and bad in both sexes, just treat people how you want to be treated.

+1

senior guru

Actually I think that is what I find most disturbing about it, the complicity of the women. <br> The fact that it was Serena's idea to rape June, <br> Aunt Lydia (although I am still hoping for more of a back story about her). I suspect that we might get that, it was hinted at when June asked her if she had ever been a god mother. But with just two episodes left I reckon that will be next series, if at all. <br> <br> I also struggle with the fact that this is just happening in Gilead/USA. Where is the rest of the world in this? (Again, I do know it's fiction, I am starting to think that I am getting obsessed now).

+1

Hide 13 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ It is fiction and from a book, but I'm getting cheesed off that with today's 'equality' dystopian films like 'Future world' still see women in the future as sex slaves gyrating half naked called b**ches every 2 mins, or kept prisoner for 'breeding'I'm not ranting, honest, just observations, You really started a good thread here lol.

+1

@ijaija Do you think that has something to do with there being more men making movies then women? I wonder if I missed a calling as a movie producer making movies about societies that oppress men. Actually typing that I am sure I have seen a movie along those lines. Sci-fi I think. It'll come to me eventually.

Report comment
(5y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ I think you may be right, mens wishful thinking for the future as we are getting really loud, but we have always been the stronger sex, I sound like a feminist and im not, i hate that word, lol,I think I know the film but cant think of the title, men are slaves, ive looked it up its 'Planet Earth' sorry to you guys reading this, we love you really.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@ijaija I think it's because women have always been treated poorly. I live in a country where misogyny is an accepted practice, even by other women. So when they (writers, in this case, a woman) visualise a dystopian future the logical extreme includes a more extreme version of the current situation (control over women and their bodies). PS - feminism wasn't always such a hateful movement as it is today.

Report comment
(5y)

@ very well put, its a shame, without us women, men would be completely lost,the writers should take notice of how strong women were in the wars, my nan, along with most nans, in the second world war bought up 5/6 kids, worked in the factories and the land and managed to do that all by themselves,but writers seem to think women did nothing and after all these years still treated as weak.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@ijaija My son always says, I didn't need a dad to teach me to be strong, I had my mum who single handedly reared me by working and being both parents and still always managed to have time for me and help other people. She showed me by doing, not be teaching or saying. :)

Report comment
(5y)

@ How lovely is that, by what you said, his dad showed him how to be weak, nothing better than love and respect from your child.

Report comment
(5y)

@ijaija Well, his father just left when he was a 2 month old and never came back, so he made all his observations on his own. I wouldn't say weak, but I guess that works, too. I just never really thought about it. I just go by what he tells me he feels. Yep, love, respect, and friendship when they are ready for that! :)

Report comment
(5y)

@ maybe weak is a strong word, who knows what makes a man leave, its easier for them than us in a way, ive not known that so cant comment too much, he will regret though surely. <br>

Report comment
(5y)

@ Why in the world would anyone down vote that story? How incredibly bad mannered.

@ Love this. I get the same from my Son. I feel that perhaps we have much in common x

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ They are apparently trying to help the ones they can without creating war. At least that's the glimpses we've seen, and now heard on the radio June tuned into.

@ I am hoping that the wolf belongs to one of those people - and that is was someone from that group that pulled up in the car at the end. The trouble is this show gives us glimmers of hope.. and then snatches it away with more trauma.

senior guru

I wonder if any of you have seen Humans ? It's a British drama so maybe not. Another take on the underdog/minority issues - except in this one the underdogs are Synth's - synthetic humans. Season 3 is currently airing so it's worth a binge.

+2

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ I've seen the first 2 seasons. I liked the first season a lot. The second was ok as well, but I've not checked out the latest.

@ You should, best one yet imo.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ Cool. I was wondering. Thank you very much! <br>

senior guru

So that's it then. <br> I feel bereft already. <br> <br> I just KNEW the new commander was going to turn out to be a good one, but he excelled himself. <br> Was it his house that was burning? I think so but not sure, if so it answers my other question - is Aunt Lydia really dead? <br> Because that would mean that he started the fire to cover up her murder. What a guy. <br> Only thing I am sorry for in that is that I have been hoping to know more about Lydia's back story, and I don't suppose that will happen now. <br> <br> And Serena - oh my, she came good in the end too. <br> Somehow I knew June would not be able to leave without Hannah, but I wonder where she will go, she can't go back to the Waterford's, the Commander would hang her. <br> But the look on her face at the end... I think June's going rogue. <br> <br> Also... three cheers for the Martha's.

+1

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ Yep, it was intense +++. Loved every minute of it. I know I'll watch it again.

Report comment
(5y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ Yep, it was intense +++. Loved every minute of it. I know I'll watch it again.

Report comment
(5y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ Oh by the way, Emily's Commander's house wasn't on fire. He sent his wife back upstairs before leaving and he obviously loves her.

@ So Aunt Lydia might live to see another day....

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ Maybe! She looked pretty bad off, but we didn't see anything that showed her as dead. The Commander did indicate he was getting himself into deep doggy do-do though! So, I reckon that's entirely probable.

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,649 reviews • 122,383 films • 18,475 TV series