This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,387 reviews
122,276 films • 18,454 TV series

FOOD:WHEN you were a kid,teen,adult,old aged??HOW CHANGED? (821 views, 6 replies)

This topic has been closed.

master
Report comment
(5y)

OK,I noticed this winter
As a kid and teen,I noticed the huge difference in meals,especially MEAT.My mom was an excellent cook,she did beef roasts,pork roasts,chicken,pork steak,turkeys,and I remember the ability to BUY MEAT rather easily.I am 71.--born in 1947.(tries to figure out age at 2nd grade.)we also gardened,for produce.

As a kid,and even teens,we had MEAT.--IT WAS not AWFUL EXPENSIVE YET.As an adult,I DIETED on weight watchers,ate fish,dairy.As a kid,we were never rich.--work class.--but we always had very good cuts of meat.

Can you remember,personally,(pick any age as a kid,and later,as an adult,any age)WHEN AND IF your diet changed a lot?What was the "food attitude"as a kid,and what was it,as an adult??Please try to figure out,WHEN FOOD BUYING changed drastically?WHEN did you really notice it?I mean,when meat-buying really changed?the quality?the amount?the availability?(which country do you live in?)

I am not sure WHEN EXACTLY the quality,availability,and quantity of MEAT really changed.But between my childhood,and now,at 71,I notice the HUGE CHANGE IN FOOD,espec. meat.
Read more

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Never liked green peas as a kid, but come to find out they are delicious.

+1

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

Remember that shot of Mary Richards checking out the price of her hamburger as she tosses it into her grocery cart? ("Mary Tyler Moore Show" Intro -- last couple of seasons)

Yeah, I can relate, Webhead. I had a problem with peas and broccoli, now I like peas and raw broccoli (gotta have them with a decent dip tho'). Hated brussels sprouts as a kid, hate 'em today, will hate brussels sprouts 'til the day I die smiley

+2

master
Report comment
(5y)

Do any of you know,what era,decade,you may have NOTICED a meat scarcity?The 80's?the 90's?Or a big change in QUALITY?I notice that people here eat a LOT of pizza.ugh.Oh,and "hamburger"i notice people in this era think hamburger is a big deal!HAMBURGER?Many of us didn't consider hamburger real meat!it was "kid meat."--not adults.

(I forgot,as a kid,we had a fruit orchard back of the house,AND we grew a vegetable garden,--so good quality.)But when the RAIN LEFT, so did the food-gardens and orchards.--now gardening weather is bad,no rain.--even less sunshine.)Yes, here the huge weather changes have ruined peoples' food.--The weather CAN'T GROW FOOD ANY MORE.--ALREADY. smiley

guru
Report comment
(5y)

"Hamburger" Bet that pattie of what ever it is has never seen a part of a pig. For them that don't think, Ham is from pigs.
Wonder what would happen to the burger outlets if they had to publish just how much meat is actually in them? Like the sausage industry. Their quality jumped heaps when that became law in Europe.

I love to eat meat. Grew up with it. At least one meal a day had a good bit of meat. But they were the days you had butchers and fishmongers on the high street.

Price hykes for meat.
In Australia I really noticed it about 15 years ago. There was never a lack of meat just profit and marketing. The meat is the same but apparently it is more expensive to have factories do what butchers used to. And now Kangaroo is in the supermarkets as a prime meat.
Must admit it is really nice. But you can't cook it like beef. It has virtually no fat. Only 2 years ago it was only making the pet food grade? Just a pest that ate cattle fodder.

Pay attention to the packaging. Watch the weight go down - Price go up.
Read more

+3

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,387 reviews • 122,276 films • 18,454 TV series