This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,788 reviews
122,426 films • 18,483 TV series

Defend The Freedom To Read Campaign. (145 views, 6 replies)

senior master
Report comment
(7mo)

For more info and sign petition: sign.moveon.org/petitions/artist...

Source: www.theguardian.com

+4

Report comment
(7mo)

Although I fully agree with the open letter, I cant ignore the fact that both this letter as well as the book bans are entirely pointless. The whole issue of book bans is to restrict or even eliminate certain forms of literally expression, ideologies and historical facts. That used to be effective in the era were books and information could only be obtained through specific and limited sources. Therefore, by eliminating the source of the information in question, you could eliminate the ideology based on such information. Having said that, we must remind ourselves that this is the digital age where everything can be found on the internet with a little patience and even less imagination. There is absolutely no way to eliminate any information on the net, other than taking the internet down. And when states do try to limit or regulate access to the net, there is always a solution in the way of a work around to this prohibition (VPN etc). Not even to mention that the status of a prohibition only achieves the opposite to information control, as the information suddenly becomes irresistible on account of its prohibitive nature. So in the end, the only thing achieved is to popularize the very same information you are trying to suppress.
Read more

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(7mo)

@JudgeDredd Defending the right to read PRINTED media is very important. I don't relish most of what I find on the internet, nor do I read my books in digital form (I enjoy the actual book). It's a right and it does matter probably much more than the digital expressions which are often altered without question.

+2

master
Report comment
(7mo)

what i read is another fight to keep books that not even courts want read out loud,
that the transactivists and transtrenders want kids to read

i dont believe in strict book bans, but some books are really not fit for kids

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkgU0ZtK...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-TuRpk2...

+1

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(7mo)
(edited)

@🌞Suisen🌞 I spoke to a few monks about this. It seems books were never meant for kids to begin with? - but I digress... smiley

* And, Simon is not allowed in classrooms anymore? smiley just makes sense smiley

Report comment
(7mo)

@(⌐■_■) Only cos I refuse to wear a frock and lipstick. smiley

+2

senior master
Report comment
(7mo)

Suisen,

I couldn't figure out the book that was being read in the first video by the young boy. It was not the same book that the father showed.

However the subject of the second video is this book ...

www.candlewick.com/book_files/15...

and this was the first review I came across when searching DuckDuckGo ...

It would seem that this is more appropriate for a 12+ child according to this.

Source: www.commonsensemedia.org/book-re...

For anyone who is interested in investigating the Gender Queer book that the father was raging against, it can be found free of charge at ...

dosmovies.com/forum/thread/Top-C...

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,788 reviews • 122,426 films • 18,483 TV series