This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,747 reviews
122,406 films • 18,479 TV series

‘You have to face the darkness within you’: meet the real-life Jedi knights (227 views, 18 replies)

Report comment
(7mo)

It started as an online prank, but Jediism now claims more UK adherents than Scientology. But is it a religion, a philosophy – or just a joke?

by Daniel Lavelle

In the middle of a field in South Carolina, Alethea Thompson closed her eyes and attempted to sense her way forward. Thompson, now 35, had spent years trying to find a spiritual home and had decided to try something new. This exercise was meant to teach her to “to trust in your ability to sense things and know that you’re not going to fall, you’re not going to get hurt,” she says. And was part of her training to become a Jedi.

After 12 years with the Force Academy, an online community that provides educational courses on Jediism, Thompson is today a Jedi master. She explains that the Force Academy and most Jedi organisations don’t prescribe strict rituals: there are no requirements on diet or clothing and no mass-style services. Jedis do, however, follow a code of ethics that centres on resisting negative emotions and promoting peace. They also believe in the Force – the ubiquitous energy field described in the Star Wars movies – and mindfulness is central to their belief system. “The foundation of who we are is meditation,” says Thompson. “I will meditate for about 30 minutes, but it’s not always the same kind of meditation. So, I don’t sit there all the time and just hum. Meditation comes in many forms and that’s what I try to teach in the community.”
Read more

+5

senior guru
Report comment
(7mo)

@JudgeDredd As long as its a peaceful organization.Kinda strange.But many strange things are going on in the world today?? smiley smiley

+4

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(7mo)

@tyetoes Weird are the ways of the force smiley smiley

+3

Report comment
(7mo)
+1

senior guru
Report comment
(7mo)

+3

Hide 6 replies...
Report comment
(7mo)

@SimonM Not bad but mine is bigger than yours smiley smiley

+4

Report comment
(7mo)

@JudgeDredd You have much to learn my middle aged Padawan. Your extra length is incapable of penetrating my super scary deflector shield! 🖕

+3

Report comment
(7mo)
+3

Report comment
(7mo)

@SimonM Get the fork outta here!
I can't stop laughing!!!

+1

Report comment
(7mo)

@CollideDuhScope Yep. Still laughing out loud!

+1

Report comment
(7mo)
+1

senior master
Report comment
(7mo)

People that meditate and believe in peace? I'm all for that. It's the Sith's and the Vader's I'd be concerned about, and that's probably next. smiley

+3

Hide 6 replies...
Report comment
(7mo)

@DontSpeak Good point. Now that you mention it I am rather disappointed nobody thought of a Sith religion....

Oh wait...scratch that last one. Turns out there is always an idiot with too much time on their hands:

twitter.com/ChurchofSithism

smiley

+1

Report comment
(7mo)
(edited)

@JudgeDredd I am actually not going to read that; not because it isn't relevant, but because it is. I said as much. This is where I say goodbye to anything organised. Do your best, despite the haters, because they will be many and frequent and misquote, misinterpret and intentionally distort what you truly stand for.

I believe in science and any kindness that is passive aggressive or apathetic in an active sense is not in fact kindness or love. That means when it speaks the truth, many, many will call it something else to make themselves feel more superior.

So be it.

+2

Report comment
(7mo)

@JudgeDredd I've been practicing Klingon.. I am grunt worthy by now .... if you're interested smiley smiley

+1

Report comment
(7mo)
(edited)

@CollideDuhScope Klingon? Have you watched Paul? dosmovies.com/film/Paul

smiley smiley

+1

Report comment
(7mo)

@JudgeDredd smiley I forgot how ridiculous that movie was.. now I must watch it again.. thanks JD smiley

+1

Report comment
(7mo)

@CollideDuhScope Watched it the other day with the missus, which triggered the Klingon recollection smiley smiley

+1

senior master
Report comment
(7mo)

Good one!

+2

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,747 reviews • 122,406 films • 18,479 TV series