This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,707 reviews
122,388 films • 18,477 TV series

Should the NFL players have to stand for the National Anthem? (542 views, 5 replies)

This topic has been closed.

God
Report comment
(5y)

Football season is here...so...do you think they shoukd have to stand, or do you think that violates their civil rights? Do they have the right to kneel? Give us your views!

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Athletes have the same workplace rights as anyone. Participation in a civil ceremony is voluntary and can never be a condition of continued employment. For any of us. <br> <br> Forced displays of patriotism to an ideology and/or it's symbols = fascism.

+4

expert
Report comment
(5y)

No. It violates their civil rights. If those civil rights are breached, I doubt that it would stop there. The US isn't like North Korea either.

+4

guru
Report comment
(5y)

They have the right to speak their mind within the confines of their contracts. <br> <br> Just as Joe/Jane sixpack has the right to quit viewing their misinformed, over inflated and definitely their overpaid ignorance (Yes I cleaned this up as best I could)

+4

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

I don't know why this is still a thing.. The answer to Joe's question, it's neither. You can't legally MAKE anyone do any kind of pledge of allegiance or National Anthem. EVER. It's been that way for 50 years or more. Sheesh, we learned this in grade school in the 80's.. <br> However, what you CAN do as a private entity, such as the NFL, is have a code of conduct persuant to a contract. If said contract stipulates, you gotta be out on the field, dressed and, standing during the National Anthem, you're stuck. Or, you stay in the locker room. <br> My personal feelings on this is, it got overplayed, p/o'ed too many people and, didn't really send the right message across. Pretty much a failure. <br> Where I live, I already know about inequality, I get passed over for jobs on the reg because I'm a white guy. Does that mean I'll never get beat up by cops here? Nope. I've been put in the hospital 2 or 3 times for a total of 90 stiches by police here just BECAUSE I'm pigmentally challenged. ...
Read more

+2

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

they should have the right to kneel, stand, sit, jump on one foot. whatever they want. they should not be forced to stand if they feel it contradicts their beliefs!

+2

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,707 reviews • 122,388 films • 18,477 TV series