This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,734 reviews
122,397 films • 18,478 TV series

The Most Iconic Pie from Every State (1048 views, 21 replies)

This topic has been closed.

master
Report comment
(5y)

Its that time of the year again. When everyone starts to gather together and piss each other off and eat each other's food and give stuff away then leave for another year... But there is always the pie to look forward to. Yes, the delightful buttery golden brown flaky crust callin your name gimmie a slice now fool!!!! Or do you prefer that chocolate moose kine with the marshmallows and the fruit and the chocolate and the chocolate and then, did I mention the chocolate?
You can put anything in a pie really.

Here, we have someone putting kittens in a pie for example. I wouldn't recommend it, but then this Chef is in a loony bin so...

Here's a list of the most Iconic pie from every State.

www.thedailymeal.com/most-iconic...

What's your favorite pie? I like all pie, mostly. Not a big fan of meringues. One of my favs though is a good old-fashioned Dutch apple pie, with that crumble top? yum!
Read more

+2

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

My fave pie is Moose Pie but for dessert then that's a difficult choice... pumpkin is probably at the top of my list.

I like all pies. I had an apple crumble caramel slice of pie last night was delicious.

We do cheesecakes this way for the holidays.

Thanksgiving has also passed last month for us.

Those kittens were so cute omg especially the white one smiley

expert
Report comment
(5y)

Being from the great southern state of Georgia, I would have to go with pecan pie. :)

+1

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Dreamcrusher mmmm I just love a good proper pecan pie!

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@Dreamcrusher Warm pecan pie with ice cream!

*drolling*

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@Dreamcrusher But...but Georgia peaches! Peachtree Tower and Peachtree Plaza on Peachtree Street! It can't be pecans!

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

Being from the great Republic of Eire, I would have to say a good Shepherd's Pie washed down with a pint of Porter.

+3

Hide 8 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@..box.. Cottage pie with ketchup.

I'm such a heathen lol

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale Also known here as 7 layered pie which we also add ketchup to lol :)

Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A What goes into a 7 layer pie?

The biggest difference between a Cottage and Shepherd pie is the meat.

Cottage is beef. Shepherd is lamb.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale Usually beef is put in all 3 here but also common is lamb or moose.

Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A Never tried moose before. What's it like?

The rest of my family don't eat lamb, so I stick to beef or a meat substitute (quorn)

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale It does NOT taste like chicken lol

I grew up on it and traditionally for Christmas holidays we do Moose pies up. Down east it's a common dish prepared in many ways as like the 7 Layered Pie (east-coast) I would say it's a lot like beef but depends on the Moose. It's very lean and delicious. I only have it on special occasions shipped up by family in other parts of the country. Can't buy it in grocery stores here unless you can find the rare newfie store but they've all pretty much shutdown.

Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A Don't think you can even get it here. There are some non-native meats you can buy, though. Ostrich, crocodile and kangaroo are all available locally. I suppose moose would be similar to kangaroo, lean/gamey

Report comment
(5y)

@DemandingFemale I have never had Kangaroo but yes it can be considered gamey.

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

According to the list Maple pie is the one for New Hampshire?? NOT!!!! We have lots and lots of Apple Orchards here, and lots of Pumpkin Farms, Apple nice old fashioned Apple pie) and Pumpkin pie are the favorites!! Also Pumpkin Cheesecake (to die for),I do not bake good pies, but I know some Awesome bakeries to get them at!! If you like Turkey or Chicken pie, we have alot of places to get them home made, also can get home made gravy from them as well.For Thanksgiving you have to order way in Advance, they are "that" busy... now I want Cheesecake!!!!

+2

God
Report comment
(5y)

Why limit yourself to what every state has??

Apple pie, lemon meringue pie, pecan pie, raspberry pie, chocolate creme pie....

Yum.

Pie!

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

Then there is the question of what makes a good pie and what makes a good tart? I've heard of apple pie and apple tart but is there a difference? Are there any pie or tart experts out there that could chip in with the answer? I've has steak and kidney pie like those dished up by Sweeny Todd (the barber of Fleet Street) but I haven't come across the equivalent Steak and Kidney Tart. Pumkin pie or Pumkin tart?

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@..box.. It's essentially the same thing. Some main differences that make them a different dish;

PIE:

Crust: Top covered and a bottom. Usually soft and crispy.

FILLING: Loose, can spill out when cut. No custard unless its a Custard Pie.

Served in its baking dish.

TART:

Crust: Bottom only. Usually crumbly.

FILLING: Thick, ain't going nowhere. Where you going? Nowhere! (except my belly...)
Usually a custard type backfill.

Can be served on whatever you like.

Not to mention the ingredients that go into making one.

Pie Crust is usually made of flour, water or milk, fat (butter, vegetable shortening, or lard), and sometimes sugar.

Wheres you got your Tart crust, made of flour, water or milk, and butter.

Then you got what their baked in. Completely different pans as well. ones deep dish and wide angled out to compliment the pie fillings and crust form. while the other ones shallow and straight to compliment the thick tart crust.
Read more

Report comment
(5y)

@Melted~Dreams What a fantastic answer that has lifted my veil of doubts completely.

Many thanks for your kind help.

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,734 reviews • 122,397 films • 18,478 TV series