This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,752 reviews
122,412 films • 18,479 TV series

The Depictions of Jesus in the Movies (326 views, 26 replies)

skilled
Report comment
(7mo)

Hi , my name is Javi and believe it or not I am a faithful Christian of the Roman Catholic variety, In this thread I am going to criticize many of the depictions of Jesus in the movies. And I would like to start with one of the worst. Jeremy Sisto in the 1999 film titled of course "Jesus"

Jeremy Sisto portrays one of the whitest Jesus in cinematic history! You can't even tell that Jesus is a Jew in this portrayal. Not only that he lacks depth and humanity, it is like Jesus as portrayed as a New Age guru about peace and love and nothing else. It is a very simplistic Hallmark portrayal of a very complex man and they made him too ordinary. While I like movies that focus on Jesus' humanity I do believe that they should also portray what made him special above all. Sisto's Jesus is too sweet and too kind, there is no danger to him when in fact Jesus was a very dangerous person and both the Romans and the Jewish hierarchy thought so. So I vote down Jeremy Sisto's portrayal because it lacks the element of danger that is part of the Christ story. ...
Read more

+1

Report comment
(7mo)

I wonder what your thoughts are for the Buddy Christ in Kevin Smith's Dogma ( dosmovies.com/film/Dogma) smiley

+2

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(7mo)
(edited)

@JudgeDredd Changed his name to Kevin?

''Dear God, Mother Mary and Kevin.''
smiley Yeah, not really feelin' the spirit? smiley

+3

Report comment
(7mo)

@(⌐■_■) Doesnt have the same ring to it smiley smiley

+3

Report comment
(7mo)

@JudgeDredd That is exactly the way Jeremy Sisto plays Jesus! All saccharine and cutesy.

+1

guru
Report comment
(7mo)

I thought saccharine was a carcinogenic that we should all avoid. Pardon my ignorance but is that stuff even legal any longer?
As far as Sisto. I'm lol'in!
Of course he most likely shouldn't have played Jesus.
But he is an excellent actor!
Maybe this was one of first roles. I dunno.
It's hilarious nonetheless!

+1

master
Report comment
(7mo)

Dare I ask smiley what the movie is about, aside from smiley Kewl-Kevin-Jesus? smiley

master
Report comment
(7mo)

I have to agree, I am Catholic and I have to say I very much doubt Jesus was a white man

senior guru

Imho the best portrayal of Jesus was not actually Jesus.
His name was Brian and he was not the messiah, he was a very naughty boy.

+5

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(7mo)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ smiley smiley smiley life of Brian, so funny.

+1

@💛Yellow_rose1💛 From now on I want you all to call me Loretta

+1

Report comment
(7mo)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ "What have the Romans ever done for us?!"
I loved that scene!

@Javi Apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health....

skilled
Report comment
(7mo)

Here is a picture of Jeremy Sisto portraying Jesus so you guys can understand what I am getting at.

+1

Hide 8 replies...
Report comment
(7mo)

@Javi Wow....who is the babe? smiley

+1

Report comment
(7mo)

@JudgeDredd Debra Messing. It is like Ken and Barbie cosplaying Jesus and Mary Magdalene!

+1

Report comment
(7mo)

@Javi I wanna see Jesus in a black and white polka dot bikini.

+2

Report comment
(7mo)
+2

Report comment
(7mo)

@SimonM smiley bring it on!

Report comment
(7mo)

@Javi Debra Messing? Wow!!! I honestly didnt recognize her. Time to revisit some of her earlier work I guess smiley

+1

Report comment
(7mo)

@JudgeDredd In this episode of "Will and Grace", Grace dates the Messiah.

+1

Report comment
(7mo)

@Javi ??? WIll and Grace? Was the episode called "Divine Sex"? Where the phrase "Oh My God" is entirely justified? smiley smiley

+1

senior master
Report comment
(7mo)

What is the depiction of Jesus in films u like Javi?

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(7mo)

@Nasos The more truer to the background I like. Jesus comes alive for me when he is depicted as Jewish and the atmosphere accurately reflects Palestine during the Roman Occupation. I think Jesus of Nazareth by Franco Zeffirelli and Lew Grades is one the best portrayals ever.

senior guru
Report comment
(7mo)

This is the best version of Jesus.

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(7mo)

@SimonM That's the one where Jesus and the kids save Santa from the terrorist.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,752 reviews • 122,412 films • 18,479 TV series