This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,704 reviews
122,388 films • 18,477 TV series

Some links are very suspicious of bad activity (507 views, 10 replies)

This topic has been closed.

top expert
Report comment
(3y)
(edited)

When I use any link from vidlox.me, it starts subframes on my browser that are titled: Facebook, Google and YouTube. This seems to be phishing for user data. What can I do? I already use adblock plus. When I used mixdrop links, it shuts off some functions of my system. Anything I can do to protect my system. These seem to be the best quality links that often are the only ones available for most videos.

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(3y)

I always use mixdrop when available, I also have Norton installed and up to date

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(3y)

@thekingandI Norton mainly slows the computer and doesn't stop malware effectively. I had so much trouble with Norton that I called tech support. I asked why things get by easily with Norton and Malware Bytes finds them. They answered and said that Malware Bytes is far better software.

skilled
Report comment
(3y)

Adblock doesn't block everything, they have agreements with certain vendors and websites to allow some ads and tracking, I would recommend using uBlock Origin instead.

I would also recommend using Firefox instead of Edge or Chrome (or any of the many Chrome derivatives, of which Edge is one - these are all 'Googled' to some extent, including Chromium).

In addition to uBlock, I use the Privacy Badger extension.

I also use Avira with real-time protections enabled, have disabled Windows Defender and have replaced Windows firewall with Private Firewall, which I find much more configurable and, of course, neither Avira nor Private Firewall reports to Microsoft.

Some websites have redirects that result in 'pop-unders', I haven't run into this in a while, but especially with movie hosts, they all try to maximize advertising revenue in one way or another and it's getting harder with all the ad-blocking techniques available, so, yeah, it happens (and sometimes they're the target of exploits, either from competitors or DMCA anti-piracy campaigns - we've all seen that before, too).
Read more

+3

top expert
Report comment
(3y)

yeah privacy badger and ublock and a good vpn

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(3y)

@IamBlue VPNs slow down the system too much for me to use.

Report comment
(3y)

@danzgig have you tried a proxi?

Report comment
(3y)

@IamBlue Proxi is a vague word. What exactly do you mean? A proxi server?

top expert
Report comment
(3y)

yes you can use a proxy server in place of a VPN in some cases

or use a tor brower.. or incognito mode

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(3y)

@IamBlue incognito mode does nothing but stops a browser from keeping history. it does nothing for security or to block malware.

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(3y)

I have Norton, malwarebytes and adblock: I have to say that I have no problem

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,704 reviews • 122,388 films • 18,477 TV series