This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,379 reviews
122,276 films • 18,454 TV series

Ode To the Humble Hot Dog (1143 views, 5 replies)

This topic has been closed.

top expert
Report comment
(6y)

"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than steak at the Ritz." Humphrey Bogart

"Ode To the Hot Dog" by Steve Hodgin

Oh Coney dog,
Let me feast my eyes
Upon thy slender frame
All smothered up with chili sauce
“Sumptuous” is thy name.

Savory is this Coney dog
Waiting on my plate
Onions heaped into a pile
Tempting their own fate.

Tasty mustard on the bun
Sharpens yet the taste
And when your body, I devour
I shall not one morsel waste.

Oh, Coney dog, come closer now
I know your aroma well
My taste buds tingle, tantalized
By your tempting smell.

Goodbye, sweet friend
I love you much
But if I'd had my druther
Since I have nearly eaten you
I wish I had another

Legend has it that the term "hot dog" was coined in 1902, during a New York Giants baseball game on a cold April day at the Polo Grounds, and one year before the very first "World Series", Concessionaire Harry Stevens was supposedly losing money while trying to sell cold items, and sent his salesmen out to buy up all the "dachshund sausages" they could find, along with an equal number of rolls. Vendors hawked these from portable hot-water tanks while yelling, "They're red hot! Get your dachshund sausages while they're red hot!"
Read more

top expert
Report comment
(6y)

<br> About the famous Los Angeles "Dodger Dog", sold at the Los Angeles Dodger Stadium, in Los Angeles, California: <br> <br> The Dodger Dog was invented by Thomas Arthur, the very first concessions manager of Dodger Stadium back in 1962. He called it a "foot long dog," even though it was only ten inches. People complained about the name, so he came up with a new one, "Dodger Dog." <br> <br> <br> Price: 1 regular, plain 10.7" Dodger Dog on bun: $10.00 (chili, cheese, etc., extra) <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> Nutrition Information - Dodger Dog without bun <br> <br> 1 serving = 1 - 10.7" long, 13.3 ounce hot dog <br> <br> Nutrition 1 serving: <br> <br> Total Fat 22g <br> Sat. Fat 8g <br> Trans Fat 0g <br> Cholesterol 45mg <br> Sodium 860mg <br> Total Carbs. ...
Read more

top expert
Report comment
(6y)

About the Not-quite-as-famous-as-the-dodger-dog "Astros Dog", sold at the Minute Maid Park baseball stadium in Houston, Texas: <br> <br> <br> <br> No, no, no ... not THAT Astros Dog. Pay attention! <br> <br> The Astros Dog was invented by the Astros fans because, well ... a game without a dog is like a movie without popcorn. <br> <br> <br> <br> NO, NO, NO!!! ... not THAT Astro Dog either!!! Pay a-tten-tion!!! <br> <br> <br> Price: 1 regular, plain 10" Astros Dog on bun: $10.00 (chili, cheese, jalapenos, etc., extra). <br> <br> To compensate for it's shorter stature (the Astros Dog is shorter than the Dodger Dog by .7th of an inch), and in an attempt to soothe any hint of inferiority complex the Astros Dog might have, it is generally considered mandatory to order as many toppings as one can possibly consume, including jalapenos, thereby adorning and enhancing it's appearance. <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> Nutrition Information - Astros Dog without bun <br> <br> 1 serving = 1 - 10" long, 13 ounce hot dog <br> <br> Nutrition 1 serving: <br> <br> Total Fat 22g <br> Sat. ...
Read more

top expert
Report comment
(6y)

<br>

God
Report comment
(6y)

You're putting up some good forum topics and making me very hungry. smiley smiley

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(6y)

@PureVodka🍺 Thank you! <br> <br> Every once in a while, I get a clawing craving for a hot dog. So many hot dogs and so little time!!!! <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br>

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,379 reviews • 122,276 films • 18,454 TV series