This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 209,009 reviews
122,523 films • 18,490 TV series

Is anyone still smoking cigarettes? (852 views, 48 replies)

This topic has been closed.

God
Report comment
(5y)

Are you REALLY? Are you going to quit...are you TRYTING to quit.. Have you quit? How many years did you/have you smoked?

+3

God
Report comment
(5y)

I smoked for 35+ years. I was up to 3 packs a day when I switched to Vaping. I have now been cigarette free and vaping for 3-4 years now. Vaping is so much better for you. I don't wake up in the morning coughing, I don't smell like an ashtray and I spend a lot less money on my vaping needs than I did when smoking. It also healthier for people around you and of course your precious pets who can get lung cancer as well. The flavors to choose from a great and more satisfying than plain tobacco taste. I was a one brand smoker for Parliment's Full Flavor and I don't smoke 10 different flavors now. My all day vape is by Space Jam the flavor is Eclipse. It is tobacco with vanilla flavored. I do have a 2nd vape I use with a dessert flavor by Alice in Vapeland and the flavor is White Rabbit. It is butterscotch and almond flavored. I hit that throughout the day when I want to taste something sweet. If you are looking for a great online store for mods and vape juice I suggest Vapor Authority. ...
Read more

+3

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Teeny💋 Good for you!!

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@Teeny💋 I have the same story. Smoked for 40 years, switched to vaping about 9 years ago and never looked back. I have no idea how people can even afford cigarettes now. My first pack cost me 35 cents. If I still smoked 2-packs a day, it would cost me $500 a month. <br> I buy all my vape supplies on ebay for the cheapest prices.

+5

Report comment
(5y)

@Teeny💋 What else are you vaping?

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@pizzaguy666 Do you mean vaping mods? or vaping ejuice?

skilled
Report comment
(5y)

Smoked for 35+ years. Tried everything to quit. Patch,pills,gum,the works. <br> Quit a thousand times. Gave up trying to quit. Ex-girlfriend gave me the book: Quiting,the easy way by Alan Carr.Read the book multiple times-basically reprogramming how you perceive smoking cigs I will never forget putting out my last cigarette. Like a weight lifted off my chest. <br> 6 years cigarette free. Not a single drag since quiting. If I can do it so can you. <br> You got this!

+9

God
Report comment
(5y)

Everyone is different and if your going to quit it has been when you are ready and no other time. I will say that over the years I tried Nicotine Gum, Nicotine Lozenges, Nicotine Patches, even the earliest vape cigarettes that didn't work very well. I was even hypnotized....well she said I was, I really don't think I was. Whether she didn't know what she was doing or maybe I am one of those that can't be hypnotized. Needless to say, Vaping was the only thing that was going to get me away from cigarettes. smiley <br> Plus you can Fuck you to big tobacco companies that want to make them stronger and more addictive to keep people smoking.

+4

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

I am smoking a cigarette as I type this. smiley <br> <br> Been at it for 53 years now. I have tried every method out there to quit. I believe that the only way to be free from smoking is to quit cold turkey. But, that's not easy to do. There are 57 known addictive chemicals in a cigarette. Nicotine is just one of them. I did quit last month. Made it for two weeks before I caved in and bought more. <br> <br> I do intend to keep trying.

+7

guru
Report comment
(5y)

started smoking when i was 36,quit cold turkey a year ago, dont know why i started,and i dont know why i didnt quit sooner,it wasnt that hard,i tried a vape,but it was too dry for my throat,so just stopped

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@Curzie Try vaping again and switch juices. There are 2 types of glycerin, PV and VG. PV gives you a good throat hit, VG gives you billowing clouds. Mix your own formula to get the effect you want.

guru
Report comment
(5y)

@ Les Strater why? would i try vaping again,are you for real,there,s more dangerous chemicals in vape ,than cigs, google this sh*t, i dont need to smoke anymore,16 years was enough, after a year of quitting,i no longer have C.O.P.D. or breathlessness,im not eating inhalers like sweets, MY LIFE IS BACK TO NORMAL,EXCEPT FOR A LITTLE WEIGHT LOSS????? <br>

+2

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@Curzie You are lucky, as there is a small risk as with anything cold turkey, to incur some minor or rare fatal health issues, but marvelous it worked for you, sometimes cold turkey is the only way for some people. <br> <br> I smoke only because i can, i have no children, or partner, so have no one to really bother to think other than myself concerning health, although i smoke far less than i used to, my papers are Raw brand, also sometimes have a hookah that was originally intended to replace smoking tobacco, but that takes some time and space, safety to endure each day for now:)

+4

Report comment
(5y)

@Curzie That is inherently untrue in many ways. There are definitely NOT more dangerous "chemicals" in e-liquid. Anything that says there is is likely propaganda. There is plenty information and research done by real scientists and doctors that says it isn't harmful and I really think it's a shame when people go bashing it with misinformation.

guru
Report comment
(5y)

We are talking tobacco, right? smiley <br> <br> Had my first cigarette when I was five. A misguided attempt by one of my older sisters to deter my fascination with what was going on around ashtrays. Instead of obliging those who gathered round waiting to see me turn green, or vomit, I smoked the whole thing and loved it! <br> Back when I was a kid in a poor neighbourhood the local tobacconist would sell smokes individually, and it wasn't long before my pennies were being spent on something other than sweets. And there was no stigma about kids smoking... I would ask obliging adults for a light because I didn't have the means to purchase a box of matches and a cigarette. <br> When I was in the navy smoking was subsidized. Every fortnight I could buy 300 ciggies for the equivalent of a twenty pack in a civilian tobacconist ( needless to say there were a lot of heavy smokers on board ). <br> <br> I still smoke about five or six handrolled clops a day, and thoroughly enjoy them. ...
Read more

+5

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@gallanted My first smoking was around 9ish, but i got caught by my mum and she held my mouth so she blew most of the fags smoke forcefully into my lungs, that did make me sick:D:D:D did not have the pleasure to smoke my first in experimental bliss, stopped me until i was around 17ish though, my real time getting onto smoking was a spliff, so my first high as well. <br> I was on holiday at the time in an arcade a few moments after, in hemsby UK, and i suddenly felt everything around me darkening, i felt so high, next thing i know i am waking up off the floor inside the arcade, not many people around in the morning but no one came to help just got on with their machine playing, that was an experience i won't forget ever,smoke back in my area of youth and adventures, was so much more magic on the mind, instead of now just a high feeling some of the time now.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@gallanted When I was smoking as a young teen I would often buy singles from a couple of the local shops - 20p each! Then you'd always get some arsehole shouting "twoooooo's". But, that was a far better price to pay than smoking my parents Black Cats & Raffles. <br> <br> I buy about 100 a fortnight now, but can't remember the last time I smoked just a normal cigarette. ;) <br> <br> There is only 1 thing worse than a preaching ex-smoker, and that is a smug vaper, who fills the air with plumes of mist while you're trying to NOT have a conversation about all the bloody benefits of vaping. lol

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@gallanted For me it wasn't about nicotine either. I did eventually find a way to vape that satisfied my want to smoke though.

+1

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

I smoked for 10 years (I was 13 when I started), a pack a day, but quit 6 years ago due to vaping. I hadn't even planned on quitting, I just wanted to try vaping, and I ended up loving it so much I never smoked again. Highly recommend for anyone trying to quit. Just don't start out by buying one of those sh*tty e-cigs from the liquor store, walmart or gas station. I'm almost sure tobacco companies make those suck on purpose to steer people away from vaping. lol

+3

God
Report comment
(5y)

I quit after 39 years. Didn't even plan to, just kind of lost interest. They finally started irritating me. The lousy taste in my mouth, the burn holes in my clothes. Never really had any withdrawal symptoms. Now i weigh 30 lbs more!

+3

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

I started smoking in high school around the time the Mötley Crüe version of this came out. <br> <br> <br> Quit when I was 25. Picked them back up 5-6 years later and, quit again in 2004. Ended up moving to a state where they're like 4 bucks a pack so, yeah, I do still buy them once in awhile. Do I smoke them? Not always. They usually go stale before I finish a pack and I'll throw them out. <br> <br> My better half is sort of the same way. She only smokes when she's partying. I'm not really the "partying" type, more of the entertainment for the party so..ying and yang my friends... <br> <br> As far as "vaping" goes, tried it and, no thanks. I can think of 100 funnier ways to look like a hipster douchenugget.

+4

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@PsychoDeeDee I wanted to like this one twice but couldn't, so, <br> <br> smiley

+1

expert
Report comment
(5y)

Started smoking when I was 11 or 12 and have never looked back. Sure I know it is bad for my health, but so is almost anything you put into your body, hell even walking around outside can be deadly. The way I look at life and the pleasures therein is simple enough: You're not getting out of this place alive, chaos and randomness are the order of the day, so why deprive yourself of pleasures for a few more years. Live, love, laugh, yell, hate, and die. Life isn't about the destination its about the journey. Enjoy it!

+3

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@korg223 Whenever someone would say, "Those things will kill you." when they saw Harry Dean Stanton smoking, he would say, "Would've if they could've." smiley

+3

master
Report comment
(5y)

started when I was 14, 53 now, when I was pregnant I gave up, started again when they were born, never smoked around my children, ever, I vape too, I vape in the pub with my drink and smoke outside if its a nice day, I do not vape a fruit, I eat them, I want my vape to be like a cigarette otherwise whats the point, wish I never started though, its so expensive, I will give up one day, I have to really want to, and I dont at the moment.

+3

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@ijaija I think that's the key. You have to WANT to quit.

+3

@ijaija I understand exactly what you are saying here. I like vaping as well. Unfortunately though I still like my cigs. <br> <br> Don't know when I'll quit for good, probably when it's too late. Ah well life's been good to me. <br> <br> Another thing is here in Canada we don't have the added expense.(a carton is $20.00) Some of the reserve cigs are really good and I have a friend who drives out every week to get them. I would not even consider store bought smokes as these smokes are better and have much less additives. <br> <br> I have cut down dramatically though, so there is still a glimmer of hope I guess smiley <br> <br> And on a positive note, I'm supporting our Native population. smiley

+2

skilled
Report comment
(5y)

i smoke a belgium tabbaco ( i have quit smoking industrial cigarettes since 20 years at least) from biological agriculture with rolling leaves is certainly not perfect but less dangerous than vaping because vaping is worse you inhale chemicals products(guess where is from all theses flavours and perfumes) from petro-chemicals industries

+3

Report comment
(5y)

No, I quit tobacco and started using e-cigs, that's much healthier and cheaper. Tried to quit cold turkey, it was so painful, now I don't even think about tobacco. I get e-cigs online, the price is pretty fair here: www.mygadget.us/ . This method worked for every single smoke I knew.

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

I started casually when I was 40. I go for a month without any and then start again depending on stress levels. I am mostly addicted to the action and not the nicotine because just having nicotine does nothing for me, and I smoke when doing certain things to take my mind off things that I can’t fix that are stressing me out. My mother and brother have successfully moved to vaping, but it hasn’t quite worked for me, because smoking is like eating sunflower seeds for some people, and I do it in binges. The vape ends up giving me headaches so far, and it just doesn’t sit in my hand absently and presently at the same time like a cigarette. I don’t think substituting the vape for the cigarette will work for me. I just have to quit completely. Once I decide something, whether it’s a diet or routine or ceasing drinking, I never alter my course, because I’m stubborn and in a way I become addicted to not being addicted. I have a very addictive personality, but I’ve found that there can be a way to make that work for me. I just have to decide. Right now, today, I don’t want to quit, and I get really awful if I am out of cigarettes and not planning on quitting. Really awful.
Read more

+4

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Been smoking for like 44 yrs now. Started as an "after a jay" thing, then working a boring job where everyone around me smoked, I took it up for real.

I tried vaping a cuppla years back but just didn't really take to it. However, vaping IS my preferred method of partaking of my "other" smoking habit though :>)

Stopped buying store bought cigs when they hit $40 a carton (now about $60 here!) and switched to rolling my own with a machine.

Get my tobacco, typically in 5lb bags, from an E-store and the tubes locally which keeps the cost down to around $1.25 a pack. This also allows me to control the moisture level of the tobacco, which greatly effects the overall taste and the pipe tobacco I use is untainted by all the chemicals the store bought cigs contain.

I know it's a bad habit but I'm all about bad habits. I work too much, sleep too little, spend way too much time on the web and love to eat, Hi Ho lol

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@mrkim56 It seems that cases of lung cancer is not down DESPITE fewer people smoking. Maybe it's in the air?

+1

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

i just got my first vape! smiley

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@frhjve🦈 Is it working for you?

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 i got a crafty for my salad now its working well after i found out to dry after grinding, makes a huge difference!

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

Smoked for a little over 20, vaped for around 3 and this is my 2nd year of quitting, I tried quitting lots of times but vaping was the only thing that worked.
If you wean yourself off vape correctly it does actually work as a means of quitting.

Report comment
(5y)

Hmm....Been smoking Camels since 1990. 1 pack per day.

I did quit for 4 years successfully. The downside was that my metabolism changed and gained 36 kilos in just six months. It was like I was chained to the fridge. I remember that I refused to buy new clothes as it would mean I would be accepting my new size. That presented with several problems, some funnier than others. For example, if I put anything in my pockets, it would be impossible to remove without unbuttoning the jeans themselves. Money would basically become tattooed to my body. Putting keys into my pockets would be the equivalent of Hara-kiri. Anyways, managed to sort that out eventually and went smoke free for the next 3 years.

After that, I started working for international organisations and the ensuing stress and constant danger of committing mass murder against my colleagues, led me to restart my worship of the nicotine goddess.

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@JudgeDredd "Money would basically become tattooed to my body." smiley smiley smiley

+1

master
Report comment
(5y)

I smoke maybe one, or two cigarettes a day.... often I don't smoke at all... but some nights I smoke a LOT. (usually on the weekends)... It's so gross, I know, but I do enjoy a nice smoke. I find it relaxing ;) After reading this thread I'm thinking, good time for a cigarette! smiley

+2

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@maeGastar There's no doubt I liked them. The thought of running out would put me in a panic. Off to the store.

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@bondojoe I remember when I was living in the UK, I woke up at 2:30 am and realised I only had 1 cigarette till the morning. And its 2:30, everything closed and I had no car. It was raining cats and dogs (England...). I walked 4 miles to a gas station, bought 2 packs, smoked almost 1 of them on the way back. After 8 miles in the soaking rain, all I got for my trouble was being stopped by the Police, who saw a wet idiot at 4:00 am trying to light up an equally wet cigarette on the side of the road and they thought it was a joint.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@JudgeDredd That sounds about right.

skilled
Report comment
(5y)

i gave up drugs and alcohol 10 years ago this month. really want to stop smoking but i guess im just not ready yet. my grandson gave me a vap and nicotine juice(6mg) and i only smoke that in the office. just cant get the hang of taking it everywhere i go. i think it is the thought of a cig in your fingers and not a vap. to me the smoking is a habit and an obsession. i have to have it. it is a part of me. just like booze was. the thought of stopping just scares me. even though health wise it is killing me. just like booze was. see where im going here? one day maybe.... godd topic by the way. peace!!!

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@brian195951 I bought a bag of suckers, and everytime I wanted a cigarette, I had a sucker. Worked for me. Good luck!

top expert
Report comment
(5y)

Both of my brothers quit, but then relapsed.

+1

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(5y)

@deiosa If you can do it once, you can do it again.

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

209,009 reviews • 122,523 films • 18,490 TV series