This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,387 reviews
122,276 films • 18,454 TV series

How to safely lose 10-15 lbs a month (1411 views, 97 replies)

This topic has been closed.

master
Report comment
(4y)

Many people have difficulty losing weight. The reason is simple. The TRINITY designed the human body to resist starvation.

If you suddenly dampen you caloric intake, your brain senses the loss of calories and dampens metabolism. Things start shutting down and you go into a plateau effect.

Why? The brain NEEDS glucose. When the blood sugar falls, then the first thing that happens is the glycogen in your liver and muscles are broken down to turn into energy. Body builders and athletes have much higher glycogen stores due to routine disciplined exercise.

Next, due to low blood sugar, the brain begins issuing orders to break down muscle to liberate sugar to get that blood sugar high enough. That is what happens during starvation. That is NOT what you desire. You want to stay toned and not erase your gains.

So instead, if you cleverly cut calories but keep your blood glucose adequate, THEN with extra demand of some sort, you increase the metabolic rate. Therefore the brain sees adequate blood sugar but a caloric deficit versus demand and so burns fat.

master
Report comment
(4y)

There are two ideal ways to lose weight.

The first won't work for everyone due to discipline and resolve and digestive issues.

What you can do is eat every other day and eat a normal meal that is balanced. The body will see a relatively normal blood sugar but a caloric deficit. The problem is people start out fine, but then end up bingeing as they get hungry and then wipe out their gains. Also eating every other day means you have the stomach acid and panacreatic/liver enzymes but no stomach contents. That ain't great for those prone to ulcers.

However some would rather eat normally and so feel sated 50% of the time. If you are disciplined, you can rapidly lose weight. Just be careful with your blood sugar.

Hide 9 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Come on dude, is it really necessary to throw in some godly mention in every post you make?

Seriously, I mean I am likely just as serious in my profession of atheism as you are in your belief but unless religion is what's being discussed, atheism is never gonna be a part of the conversation, at least not for myself.

Just as in political conversations I always ask people not to collude religion and politics because doing so will always alienate a segment of the conversation that would not occur otherwise as many people have differing ideas, often twinged with their faith based ideology. When these collusions occur it tends to then subdivide the conversation along the lines of differing faiths.

This then leads to a lessening of the audiences participation as well and all in all leads to a lessened overall result, so why do it?

i have immense respect for your faith and no doubt of the strength of your convictions but please think about the above as there most assuredly are unintended consequences to your constant faith professions.

+6

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 The Trinity made human beings. Why does that bother you?

Your body is made to resist starvation. That dampening effect of plateauing is a biochemical and physiological survival mechanism based upon humanity having inadequate foodstores.

What I posted in scientifically and medically correct to safely achieve the maximum safe results.

Faster loss is dangerous (more than 15 lbs a month). You will get into electrolyte loss and skin issues as the weight loss exceeds what the skin can handle. That damages the suspensory ligaments. For women, that can result in bagginess in the triceps regions or drooping of the breasts.

Report comment
(4y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Do you seriously make a conscious effort to be so obtuse or does it just come naturally?

If you can't "get" the point I was trying to make, Ok, never mind.

Please forgive me for again attempting to get you to THINK beyond your constant protestations of faith in yahweh :>/

+4

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 How much Christianity is that post that offended you? A word?

Give me a break. In all the posts in this topic were two brief mentions of the Trinity. Literally two words. And you are offended?

ROFL

Report comment
(4y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Sigh ... always trying to read my mind, with failure your most constant companion.

I was not offended, nor did I say I was, so that claim is a big ol nothingburger, no cheese, mayo and certainly NO BEEF.

I was trying to make the point that constantly interjecting religion into every damned thing you post is divisive to the intended audience and is unnecessary.

But hey man, just carry on as sadly I expect you will anyway regardless of the salience of the point I tried making.

+4

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 Why would I care?

Flip it around. Say you are an ardent atheist and you insert that aspect in your posts. So what? Why should that matter?

Report comment
(4y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare I grew up amongst chritadelphians. They don’t believe in the trinity, just God and Jesus. Who is right ? Them or you ?

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare I just do what some medical doctor recently said"Take your main meal,cut it in half,put the other half in the fridge and only eat half.But, i would advise against any "fad diets," Everyone's body has a "set point"of your weight.It is only comfortable at that weight. Losing wt. SLOWLY will help that.very slowly.(and then people reach "plateaus"where they can't lose more.REST.Your body needs time to adjust to all the weight you've lost.Rome wasn't built in a day.Imagine telling a living system,A PERSON,"I want you to starve and lose tons of weight FAST.AND DON'T RE-GAIN IT!!"THAT does not work. Sorry, seen it, don't starve, please.Models look terrible any how.hah hah!!--

Report comment
(4y)

@clarachan1355 See the problem is that plateuing is frustrating and is counterproductive. What happens is people binge and blow it.

It's the least smart way to lose weight and will begin gluconeogenesis. That is the loss of muscle to transform into supplementation to create higher blood sugar.

That is the most frustrating aspect of what you are suggesting. Here is that metabolic pathway.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=ydhr0QAyxY...

To prevent that from happening, you need some small supplementation to maintain a fairly constant blood sugar. You likely will eat five small meals.

Guconeogenesis happens to diabetics then ketoacidosis and then results in acetone breath.

master
Report comment
(4y)

The best way that consistently works for all is the rotation diet.

You eat 800 calories for 1-2 days.
Then eat 1200 calories for 1-2 days.
Then eat 1400-1500 calories for 1-2 days.
Then eat a normal diet with a pleasing dessert for one day.

This works. The body sees adequate blood sugar yet a caloric deficit that is GAINING. Thus metabolism does not slow. Thus no plateuing.

It also helps curb bingeing as each day gets easier. Then after a very satisfying day with more than adequate calories, then 800 calories is not that bad.

I have seen GREAT success with this.

+1

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare wow, have you run this by a doctor??1`,200 calories is still low for a diet."Pleasing dessert"; a swirl cone at Dairy Queen, medium, ok?Its about 300 or 350 calories.--and it WAS LOW FAT ICE CREAM(YEARS AGO i saw the calories ect, on dairy Queen info.)i only have one once in a while.

Report comment
(4y)

@clarachan1355 Your caloric intake is not static but a function of your age, your sex, your BMI, and your workload.

For example, a standard US soldier might eat a MRE that is 2900-3400 calories because they require a lot of nutrients and energy in the field.

Whereas an average 150-170 lb man who is sedentary needs 2000 calories.

It depends on how much exercise you are going to do versus how overweight you are.

Back in the sixties and seventies, there might be one overweight teenager in a gym class...and they were not obese.

Now?17-21% are obese!

That ain't good and it's unnatural and setting them up for failure in many ways.

That diet should be perfectly fine for a 5' 9" guy who should weight 150-170 lbs but weighs 200. In two months he'll be back to normal health and fit. If he rigorously exercises the 2nd month, he likely will lose fat and gain muscle mass.
Read more

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

I wouldn't say that this is the "best" way to lose weight. First of all 800 calories is not very many calories at all. The average person trying to lose weight, will get so hungry and feel so miserable, they would end up cheating anyhow. I realize there are many people who are "very" overweight, and need monitoring by a Dr., mainly because of health issues that go along with "obesity". That being said,(I am a nurse) and I have seen so many people have success with sticking to the guidelines posted for male and females in how many calories to have each day eating a healthy 1200 calorie diet for women, and 1500 for men. The key is moderation, and drinking alot of water daily.. (no fried foods, no sugary snacks) yes you will lose a little slower 2-4 lbs a week, but it the best way to get the weight off and keep it off, safely...

+7

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)

@Rescue Dog Mama Kaiser Permanente Hospital has or had, a great anti-obesity program, very gradual. probably several hospitals or medical centers have them.its a wide spread thing, maybe in "cardio vascular clinics or programs."MANY M,ANY people wrestle with this!!MOST PEOPLE at some time in the USA have issues with their weight--you see food everywhere!!cheap food not so good for you.Or, bulimia or the other type.YOUR WEIGHT is no longer a simple thing, it is manipulated by the society and its issues.--a lot.It is a major thing in our population.

+1

master
Report comment
(4y)

What you posted will certainly work, but will cause plateauing.

This means the first weight they lose will likely be from water and then muscle loss. Then their metabolic rate will be very low as it's sustained low calories.

The rotation diet is only low following a normal day with dessert. Then after two days of 800 calories up to the 1200.

This means the dieter sees a continuous gain in caloric intake and only has two rough days...versus sustained low calories.

The main issue is bingeing. The dieter has to determine which is easier for them, either eating every other day or regular gains. Psychologically, it's easier. And of course they can switch too to cope.

Most people cannot stay on a sustained low calorie diet as they end up overeating by bingeing. They get very frustrated.

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare yes, true.

master
Report comment
(4y)

When you begin to diet, then the natural thing to do is less activity. Yet to keep the metabolic rate up, some exercise needs to be added.

Now most people are sedentary. So they are out of shape. They notice this when climbing four to five flights of stairs.

If this is the case, then simply walking with another dieter is proven to slowly get their bodies and shape and stay motivated. Ideally this is a couple who are on the same diet and preparing the same meals and so less tempted to overeat.

You are just walking on flat terrain on sidewalks around the block. And slowly adding a little more every couple of days.

The goal is to slowly increase range of motion and normalize routine exercise and not to get injured. People overdo it and then injuries produce muscle soreness and back aches. That just is self-sabotage.

After extending walking slowly then jumping rope can add some minor intensity and you can extend the length of time and working up to double jumping to get your heart rate up.
Read more

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

Dieting rarely works.

95% of all dieters regain their lost weight and more within 1 to 5 years.

“Yo-yo” dieting (repetitive cycles of gaining, losing, & regaining weight) has been shown to have negative health effects, including increased risk of heart disease, long-lasting negative impacts on metabolism, gallbladder & kidney stones, etc.

Dieting forces your body into starvation mode. It responds by slowing down many of its normal functions to conserve energy. This means your natural metabolism actually slows down.

Dieters often miss out on important nutrients. For example, dieters often don’t get enough calcium, leaving them at risk for osteoporosis, stress fractures, and broken bones.

Eat a balanced diet all year round. Move more. Simples...

#NotARealDoctor

+8

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale Totally agree with you.. Eat what you want and use a "smaller" plate too, it works lol!!

+4

Report comment
(4y)

@Rescue Dog Mama Doesn't work.

Sounds great as portion sizes have increased and exercise has decreased as less do physical labor.

I don't know anyone who can eat what they want as that would be a bizarre eating lifestyle and certain unhealthy.

Rome was not built in a day and telling people to just restrict their meals to small plates will induce plateauing based upon biochemstry.

This means you have to trick the body's physiology and biochemistry or else the metabolic rate will drop.

Report comment
(4y)

@Rescue Dog Mama We wish it were now as simple as "get-hungry-eat-burn up most calories, repeat." And did everyone used to GO CRAZY ABOUT THEIR WEIGHT??CHECK OUT much older relatives, either ask,or read letters,read books with true stories,describing them also eating.Now, describing a meal in FRANCE even a modest one, is not a good idea.

AMERICAN EATING VERY LONG AGO was not the same.--not even in America.People were farmers,or did a lot more physical work,they had to eat food.

THAT HAS CHANGED A LOT.--AND our whole attitude about our looks,sizes,clothing,"how many calories to eat",and constantly seeing unreal skinny people in images!!--it has become very insane.

Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale If it were simple, then all would be healthy.

If all ate a balanced diet, all would be more healthy.

The reality is you posting nothing useful.

A diet per say does not force your body into starvation mode. A restrictive diet that is less than the requirements due to low calories and biochemical building blocks will induce catabolism.

That isn't starvation per say.

Starvation induces kwashiorkor in children and if that persists then marasmus. Adults generally just enter marasmus.

master
Report comment
(4y)

smiley Eat much less... imagine that.

+1

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@(⌐■_■) If you eat much less, you induce plateauing as metabolism dampens.

This is basic biochemistry.

Report comment
(4y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare true--they say its a daily job of exercise, portion control, and keep doing this exercise and portion control every day. ugh!!--for the rest of your life.--I read about it, its hard.

Report comment
(4y)

@clarachan1355 But at first, overweight people and especially obese people are so out of shape that if they exercise too much...that first two weeks at the gym, then injure themselves. They go gung ho and mess up their back and knees and have muscle soreness. Then stop exerising.

You build up to it and don't overdo the cardio as their joints can't handle it. But after that 3rd week they are lifting dumbells. Then start working the bag with some boxing. Then using the assisted dipping and pull up station.

There is a method to the madness.

Situps don't work well versus crunches and slowly using the ab equipment.

You want slow steady gains to have an overall positive effect and no injuries and ideally by the end of that second month, tight clothes fit normally. By the end of the third month, you are considering wearing old little used clothing and women are blushing at the compliments again.

master
Report comment
(4y)

The goal is to get to a healthy BMI based upon your height. The tables are generally correct except for serious athletes.

www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educati...

Then having reached a healthy version of yourself, then to begin eating nutritious delicious satisfying meals based upon your daily exercise regimen.

Unlike most Americans, I am perfectly healthy and take no medicines. One can achieve that state quite easily by living intentionally as the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. In Hebrew, that is called Ruach.
www.gotquestions.org/meaning-rua...

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare --and you watch no t.v,no movies,don't read newspapers,magazines, don't look at fast food places every where; always eat at home what you cook.Don't listen to all friends or family,complain about their weight,or eat hot fudge sundaes in front of you;no cookies,icecream,cake,ect ect in your house. NOT IN YOUR HOUSE. its a hold over from ancient caveman days--if we are near it,we eat it.--out of control. We used to have to eat it,no fridges.--no security about your next meal.--not jokin.

Report comment
(4y)

@clarachan1355 I told people to imagine junk food as being forced to carry multiple bags of sugar. Or think of that burger, fries, and a soda plus a milkshake as PAIN and ridicule.

Maybe six months later, you go to Dairy Queen and eat that...once. It will taste sickenly sweet though.

master
Report comment
(4y)

Stop eating so much and sleep more. DOn't have two white things at a meal, like pasta, potatoes or rice plus bread. (rough for Italians, I know..lol) That was the secret a forever slim friend of mine told me.

In my experience, appetite has less to do with hunger and more to do with how engaged I am with other things. The more I am passionate about things--activities, hobbies, a new lover etc., the less I experience hunger. Might just be me.

It freaks my doctor out that I can fast all day for lab work and feel perfectly fine, even though I have been diagnosed as hypoglycemic in the past.
Food mostly feels like it drags me down instead of giving me fuel to go on. I think I have a gluten problem, probably need to check that.

+2

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@ThomasinaPaine Depression and mental illness(and it's medicines)easily affect your weight.--any medicine you have to take,ask doctor,"How does this effect my eating or weight?". (less than one % of the population has a gluten disease.)

NOW,GLUTTON" or the main place of GLUTEN,"bread,cinnabons,cake cookies,potatoes,crackers, sweet potatoes,peas,corn--" it registers as "a carb."

Report comment
(4y)

@clarachan1355 Eatting carbs,bread,cake,gives us serotonin re-uptake, it makes us feel better,happier, ect. relieves temp depression.--feelings of emptiness--sadness--eating is very emotinal too.

Report comment
(4y)

@clarachan1355 Yeah but why risk a dessert other than one every week on your normal day? I mean that's one small piece of apple pie or one real chocolate custard pudding.

You still can eat low cal yogurt or drink kefir. Both are very satisfying. You still can drink a fruit smoothie as long as the portion is small.

You can eat lean fresh catch fish. Wild salmon is very good for you. Buffalo/Bison is unusually low in fat and hearty.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=aOn_zxDSIV...

Report comment
(4y)

@clarachan1355 Gotta watch 'facts' . Other sources say gluten sensitivity and affects as many as 10% of the population.

glutenintoleranceschool.com/celi...

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@clarachan1355 Gotta watch 'facts' on the 'net. Other sources say gluten sensitivity is more common--affects as many as 10% of the population.

glutenintoleranceschool.com/celi...

master

Like my dad used to say: Best way to loose weight & exercise at the same time, is just to get up and push yourself away from the table. Simplicity, but yeah, it's always worked for me and others :)

+5

Hide 11 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@𝓜𝓸𝓾𝓼𝓮*🐭 I worked a side job as a fitness instructor before a drunk driver hit me when I was 23 in 1989. I certified after my dad had a heart attack at age 44. We found out later it was the isocyanates, silica, dust, and fumes from being a car painter that caused it and then it eventually killed him, but I certified because my dad was a man’s man, and I had never seen him so vulnerable, and it broke my own heart. You and your dad are absolutely right. You have to move. You have to eat sensibly, (and sometimes your own personal diet is not what is good for someone else), and you have to control the portions. A lot of American restaurants have massive portions. I sometimes review the Weight Watcher’s ideas on portion sizes, when I see I’m reverting to thinking a dinner for three is “just my size!”. I feel they are a bit extreme, and a little too stringent about things like slices of healthy grain bread, etc., but it gives you a bit of an idea on a normal-sized meal. ...
Read more

+8

@ditzygypsy I'm so sorry that happened to you, drunk drivers are truly people I detest.

Yes you are right about how sensible our dads were. But myself when I was a little kid, I never really did appreciate or realize how down to earth my dad really was...

Never been overweight either, thankfully, and I think it's just common sense and really not so much about calories...

We were very lucky to have had such wonderful dads, and of course we'll never forget them....❤️️❤️️❤️️❤

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@ditzygypsy I agree and I am sorry to hear of your sorrows.

5 small meals are easily digested and help maintain blood sugar in an ideal fashion.
If people can eat nuts, then a small handful of plain almonds is very satisfying. This generally is a tactic that saves dieters from binging.

Don't let yourself get too hungry as you are building a new healthy framework and literally creating new habits.

For many people, if you take unsweetend gelatin and add inexpensive berries (frozen are usually less expensive) and then a tiny amount of healthy sweetener like agave syrup, that is very filling with scant calories.

Also cold real steel oat oatmeal seems to be unusual as it adds very little calories but almost seems to prevent caloric gain by binding to fat.

Not instant. That does not seem to work and most are filled with chemicals and sweeteners.

You might try swiss muesli from scratch as that is very healthy and delicious and satisfying.
Read more

Report comment
(4y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Thank you for the tips and for the kind words. Other than some recent dental issues that have prevented me from biting hard things and chewing chewy things, and a brief stint with an MD-ND who had me on a low glycemic/high protein diet so I could gain weight/muscle mass back, I have always eaten what I wanted, when I wanted, but I always keep moving, even if now it’s just walking, and I don’t eat massive amounts of anything, really. I don’t restrict myself, and I don’t think I really overindulge. I also don’t own a scale. But I do appreciate the tips and the spirit in which they were given. Thank you.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@ditzygypsy Most bread sold in groceries is horrifying as they contain an amino acid that is from digested feathers. That is how bread is so soft today even when stale.

The healthiest bread is extremely easy to make. It's either pita bread or Lebanese moutain bread. Either taste great. Both are excellent for sandwiches. Both are delicious with humus and olive tapenade. Or marinated Italian red peppers or sun dried tomatoes with a little olive oil.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=EtU2f0qrGr...

Very nutritious. The Persians add fresh herbs like basil and parsley from the garden and picked garlic or ginger.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=DfObqgc0Tn...
m.youtube.com/watch?v=NPiA69p4gq...

Make it fresh as it's no trouble and fast versus a loaf.

These simple recipes are great camping food that are enjoyed by even finicky children. They are easy to prepare.
Read more

Report comment
(4y)

@ditzygypsy Have you tried coconut oil pulling? When people have dental issues then this vastly reduces inflammation is cheap and easy to do, and kills the unhealthy bacteria.

It's very old school medicine from India.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=DtFzd3TBYi...

Gum issues like irritation and bleeding are reduced. Dental carries are reduced. Your teeth are naturally whitened without abrasives.

This is not for children. That oil is in innundated with bacteria as it liberated it from your gums and teeth. Spit it all out and rinse carefully.

Try it for 2-6 weeks. I bet your dental issues go away for just the price of a single jar of coconut oil. You generally put the jar under hot water and it easily melts.

Report comment
(4y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare No, it’s ok, I have a dentist and a reconstructive dental surgeon. Thank you.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare good about the steel-cut oats,oatmeal, ate it for breakfast for 2 weeks.

Report comment
(4y)

@clarachan1355 Cold muesli can have lots of variety with unusual ingredients but watch your portions and skip the bananas probably until the 3rd month. Use frozen mango or fresh pineapple or berries. Fresh pineapple has pappain and bromelain. The first enzyme speeds digestion. The second helps with breathing. Runners will actually take bromelain to get ready for a race say when qualifying for marathons.

As you get healthier and fit, many people work up to 5K races. Some then collect the tshirts and make a quilt of them as a visible reminder of getting healthy and fit.

Most kids age 9+ can with a little training do a 5K run. Then as a family, you can do these together.

Report comment
(4y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Steel cut oats completely destroy my stomach...literally FEEL like they are cutting my stomach. My sister has the same reaction.

Report comment
(4y)

@ThomasinaPaine Well then eat what works for you. Most have no problem.

For some reason that no one understands, cold steel cut oats helps people lose weight.

master
Report comment
(4y)

m.youtube.com/watch?v=PJcxPaZc6a...
This is typically called "New York City Artisan Bread". It's ridiculously easy no-kneed bread. It's healthy. It is nutritious but can be very yeasty based on how long you let it sit. It's delicious and a frugal recipe.

If you like French bread, those baguettes are simple to make at home, but try Cuban bread. I think you will like it more. Take most to your neighbors so you don't gobble it all up. Teach some struggling cook in your neighborhood too.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr2FlrUBs4...

master
Report comment
(4y)

Personally, I gain winter pounds. A few weeks of no bread or potatoes, pasta. I can get back on track. I love veggies especially raw. It helps that i don't really have a sweet crave at all. If I do I can stop it with a few sips of soda. Hubby drinks soda like I drink water (a lot)it works for me.

+2

God
Report comment
(4y)

There's nothing wrong with gaining weight as long as your within a healthy weight! Too many people freak the need to be stick thin! I suffered from anorexia and nearly starved myself to death. All bc I thought I had to be a skinny (and I mean bone thin) to look good! There is nothing wrong with curves.
Just be you bc you is being you is beautiful 💋💋

+1

admin
Report comment
(4y)

Just spend more calories than consume. I'm genius. smiley

+5

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil smiley

Definitely.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil yes, but now watch that intake, & outtake, every single day--and don't even look at unhealthy food--or tv with it--fast food places--magazines, ect."Don't socialize with people who go to retaurants all the time---cut them off--do not go to most church events where there is FOOD--ECT.

Report comment
(4y)

@clarachan1355 Isolation --not socializing, treating food as anathema--for a person struggling with obesity is not good. You have to live in the real world. Perhaps join a weight loss group you fit in with for support...depending on how much you need to lose. New friends, shared obstacles to overcome.

master
Report comment
(4y)

Normal BMI is 18.5–24.9 which is a measure of body fat and is not stick thin at all.

It's important to have a healthy but realistic self-image.

What I most noticed in a spiritual retreat setting was a much higher activity range of canoeing, swimming, exercise, yoga, jogging/running, martial arts, and sports. That was the norm in addition to very active games.

Children and adults thrive and literally eat generous portions but lose weight.

They ate three full meals with generally a large breakfast and a modest lunch and a full supper plus dessert. Then ate two snacks of fruit.

Look at photos of our ancestors in history and generally they are at a normal BMI but seem thin to us. The guys look to be at a "fighting weight".

You never press 12-18 year old women to be thin as that and the horrible messages from Madison Avenue and Hollyweird then zaps their self-confidence.

There actually is a great Ted Talks about why so many in Western Civilization are unnecessarily taking antidepressives. It seems to be directly related to low physical activity. There is no such corelation in the 3rd world as their physical activity is high. Additionally the medical researcher found that an constant exercise buddy led to excellent healthy weight loss and maintaining a normal BMI.
Read more

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

This probably isn't the right thread to be reading whilst munching through a whole family-sized pack of Haribo.

+1

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale I happen to think it is considering it's a purely speculative lecture that isn't based on PERSONAL experience.

I've lost weight on sweets, where as Doc said, I ate less than I expended and I still had terrific muscle tone.

smiley

Report comment
(4y)

@ I've vowed to do 1 sit-up for every 'illogical', and 2 star jumps for every 'straw man'. I'll be an Olympic athlete by August. 😁

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale Excellent. I vow to do the same.

Let's keep rigorous journals and advise the masses, shall we?

smiley

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@ i hate you. HEE HEE

master
Report comment
(4y)

It's amazing how a topic on healthy eating is so easily polluted by hostility.

Hide 14 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, doesn't mean you are wrong but it sounds more like you think yours is the only correct way..best advise is by a DR.....

+4

Report comment
(4y)

@Rescue Dog Mama Hardly. I think all should be practical and do what works for you.

The problem is most are unable to lose weight and it's getting worse. It is the most significant factor and avoidable factor that harms one's health in western civilization.

Med school has one class on nutrition though nutritional diseases are included throughout. Typically these discuss vitamin defficiency and trace minerals. Sometimes that nutritional class is a subsection of biochemistry.

Report comment
(4y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare --a certified dietician's routine.

Report comment
(4y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare It is not in the economic 'best interests' of western medicine or BigPharma for their training to view diet and nutrition as a solution /preventative to illness.
Here's a tip for those struggling with the plenitude of overdeveloped fat cells forced on them by adults who though chubby babies were cuter -- alfalfa --capsules or tea--is a pretty good and natural appetite suppressant.

Report comment
(4y)

@ThomasinaPaine Incorrect. Osteopathic physicians, called DOs are physicians who do everything a MD does like prescribe medicine. They emphasize nutrition,clean water, exercise, and massage. They do that AND standard medicine.

If you live in Maine, chances are you are treated by a DO not an MD.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=vHn6pers97...

Report comment
(4y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare My turn to be rude: you are wrong, based on MY experience.
I have struggled with anemia for 3 years and have had to research how nutritional combinations of foods help mitigate the problem and delay necessary infusions.

Many specialists,lab tests, MRIs, ultrasounds, scans and other invasive procedures later, its etiology is still a mystery.

I've learned a lot over decades about the medical world, having doctors and nurses in the extended family, trust me.

In my particular case, 4-and 5-star rated doctors and specialists flatly denied that Pepcid (for GERD) interferes with iron absorption, for example.
I consulted a dietary nutritionist who was aghast that my doctors were ignorant of that fact, especially iron.

Additionally I discovered combining C with foods containing iron increased absorption,as does using iron skillets.
Docs didn't know, and these drs are the product of prestigious UNC-Chapel Hill Med School and Harvard, for God's sake.
Read more

Report comment
(4y)

@ThomasinaPaine I love how everyone thinks they know my qualifications...while logically only I know.

Too bad.

Report comment
(4y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare I figured that...You really don't have any.
You just WANT to play god...lol.

Report comment
(4y)

@ThomasinaPaine Does it make you feel better to hate strangers?

Report comment
(4y)

@Rescue Dog Mama You have practical life experience as a nurse. I'd be most interested in your observations in that regard.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@ In my opinion as far as diets are concerned,before anyone starts a diet, you need to see a Dr., mainly because if you want to diet, you are obviously overweight, and have 1,2, or more of the things that go along with obesity, which is high blood pressure,abnormal cholesterol levels, if you smoke, diabetes etc. I do not deal with the dieting problems much as I work in the ER, but as I said seeing a Dr., or Bariactric physician(who specializes in weight control) is the way to go. It is just plain stupid to start a diet without knowledge..All the things "Nightmare" is saying (sorry I couldn't remember the whole name lol) in my mind is way too much information, who would want to even start a diet, trying to understand it all, not the "average" person. He (nightmare) also said "most are unable to lose weight and it is getting worse" is NOT true (Maybe in India it is,I wouldn't know) The problem is people are too damn lazy..just look at all the things we have that can make a person lazy, starting with just a simple remote for the tv..They just vege out in a chair with the remote. ...
Read more

Report comment
(4y)

@Rescue Dog Mama Well I quite disagree. Labeling people as lazy accomplishes nothing.

However what I proposed is remarkably simple. Try it.

What we need is a serious JFK style physical fitness regimen in middle school and high school.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=fISgKl8dB3...

That worked.

What is liable to occur based upon what you suggested is they will suggest a diet plan and then suggest surgery. That is a terrible idea.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=sZEeCWcwD1...

Once you do gastric bypass, there is no going back.

Report comment
(4y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare m.youtube.com/watch?v=i6aNyCsVnh...

This shows what changes after surgery. It's very dangerous if the patient overeats.

Report comment
(4y)

@Rescue Dog Mama well that sounds a little judge-y.
The causes of obesity are many.

Bottom line to this problem may truly be in many cases,
"It's not what you're eating,it's what's eating you" as the book said.

master
Report comment
(4y)

There is a strong push for high protein/low carb diets. In reality, while an athlete needs more protein than normal as they are constantly tear down and rebuilding muscle, excess protein is lost through micturation. So eating more than you require is just wasted. Similarly excess vitamins are flushed too. That is a good thing as vitamin A in excess is toxic.

However, as any woman of child bearing years might get pregnant, a daily vitamin might remarkably help the baby prior during that 4-6 week period when they are uncertain if they are pregnant. This is very important as if they are/were dieting, they might not be getting what they and the baby needs. Better safe than sorry.

Of course later their OB/GYN will ensure they are on prenatal vitamins.

Be careful about herbs as some should NOT be taken when pregnant. Some wild edibles like pine needle tea which is full of vitamin C also has mutagenic effects during pregnancy. Consult a PDR (Physician's Desk Reference) or look it up. Other herbs like raspberry leaf tea are supportive.
Read more

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare (How many people have this knowledge, or some of the education of others on this board?There are now NUTRITIONAL FANTASIES"or "old wives' tales" about nutrition now!!FAIRY TALES ABOUT how common gluten-disease is!!HAH HAH!! WITCHCRAFT!!"yOU HAVE TO CUT OUT all carbs forever!!" "Only eat meat!!"

Report comment
(4y)

@clarachan1355 Very few people have celiac disease. Actually in history, gluten was a part of monk's and nun's diet.

Do the math. 200,000 cases each year out of 330 million Americans. Well that is very low risk.

However the issue post-GMO is with gluten and potentially lipomas. They are fatty tumors and there were two studies with rats that showed disturbing increases with lipomas with GMO corn. There is some data on GMO wheat and lipomas too.

master
Report comment
(4y)

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1846...
The grand mean body mass index (BMI) of nurses surveyed was 27.2. Almost 54% were overweight or obese. Fifty-three percent of these nurses report that they are overweight but lack the motivation to make lifestyle changes. Forty percent are unable to lose weight despite healthy diet and exercise habits. Only 26% of respondents use BMI to make clinical judgments of overweight and obesity. Although 93% of nurses acknowledge that overweight and obesity are diagnoses requiring intervention, 76% do not pursue the topic with overweight and obese patients.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article...
However, what is not often discussed is the burden of physician obesity in the United States and the role it will play in the future of our country's health. According to the 2007 Physicians Health Study, 40% of the 19 000 doctors were overweight and 23% were obese.3 While physicians are less likely than average Americans to be overweight or obese, they are not immune to our national obesogenic tendencies. ...
Read more

admin
Report comment
(4y)

AN, what do you think about vegans? Vegans usually don't have problems with weight.

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil Well, there are many long term issues with being vegan. See numerous examples of vegans with health issues who end up becoming omnivores.

Prepper/Bushcrafters push vegetarian meals as an inexpensive way to eat easily made stews from dried ingredients.

However, vegans do not generally grow their food. Many vegan foods come from foreign coutries.

What happens is corporations go to local farmers who are using polyculture. This means they grow what they sell PLUS grow what their family requires.

The corporation needs more vegan food to be exported. They convince them to do monocrops. That ends up with many having to buy food and hoping the profit will exceed their costs. But generally then too many are growing monocrops so the price falls.

Insidious no?

That has happened with quinoa.

A vegan gardener might be okay but how will they get adequate calcium? Wild greens have a very low amount and you need platefuls. If you actually ate that much, you would get a whopping dose of oxalic acid and likely kidney stones.
Read more

Report comment
(4y)

@Dr.Evil --They can also get malnutrition if they don't have thorough dietician's (licensed) or good nurses' training.SCIENCE.lots of "vegetarians" skip science.---SCIENCE IS GOOD YOU NEED TO EAT THAT!!

master
Report comment
(4y)

Anyone eating a vegan or vegetarian diet quickly learns about complimentary protreins. What happens is some vegetables/grains have certain essential amino acids, but lack other essential amino acids. That is why you eat corn and beans or legumes and rice, or beans and rice, etc.

If you don't then you get into a deficit of essential amino acids.

It's wise to eat lentils as these easy hydrate versus pinto beans. Also sprout your plant sources to boost your vitamins.

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

On the "lighter side" (no pun intended) read this
I learned about the deaths of two famous people this week. Onewas musician Ike Turner, who died Tuesday. The other was SriChinmoy, who died Oct. 11.

Actually, Chinmoy didn’t so much die as he “entered intoMahasamadhi - the mystic process through which spiritual Mastersleave the body,” according to his Web site.

Chinmoy was a guru. I first learned about him because hisfollowers operate a vegetarian restaurant, Jyoti Bihanga, on AdamsAvenue in my San Diego neighborhood of Normal Heights. Like Turner,he also was a musician, and he had performed a free concert in SanDiego just last summer.

While his musical legacy was hardly that of Turner’s, Chinmoydid leave a mark on popular music. Among his followers at one timewas Carlos Santana, who co-wrote and recorded a song called “GuruSri Chinmoy Aphorism” for Santana’s 1974 album “Illuminations.”

But overall, Chinmoy and Turner’s lives seemed worlds apart.Chinmoy was known for his messages of peace and for encouragingpeople to live healthy, athletic lives. He ran marathons, didn’tuse drugs or alcohol, was a vegetarian and did strong-man stuntslike lifting several celebrities at once.
Read more

+1

master
Report comment
(4y)

Frank Zane is a famous bodybuilder who switched to a vegetarian diet and then to a vegan diet. So it's possible to do it with extreme discipline and great variety. But how many people can do that?

Monks and nuns in history of various faiths were vegetarian. That happened in Christianity and Buddhism.

The human body was designed to be an omnivore though not vegan nor vegetarian. While some seem healthy when young, they often look overweight and unhealthy as they eat processed prepared food.

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare yES, AND I knew a woman who was extremely--300-400 lbs.--overweight most of her life,BREATHING,LUNGS,KIDNEYS, ALL WENT.--WHILE IN HER 60'S,EARLY. MEN can live even shorter times.

Report comment
(4y)

@clarachan1355 Much of my adult life,I was on Weight Waters, long time, most of it i maintained a lot(for my family)weight.I am 71 my cholesterol and blood pressure are normal--but I might go early any how.--I was on "anti-inflammatory drugs" for quite a while cause of pain,inflammation from BAD FEET. Something can always get you.--and doctors no longer give addictive pain killers--I'm not taking kidney-fake-cleaning--I saw people struggle with that, bad.--awful!!

Report comment
(4y)

@clarachan1355 Varicose veins usually occur and pooling of the blood in the lower extremities. Then if you eat lots of meat you might get gout from uric acid crystal formation too.

Report comment
(4y)

@clarachan1355 Obese folks get candidiasis. Yeast begins attacking the folds of their skin and shows up in lots of places. Then they get sores.

Once you exceed say 40 lbs overweight, it distorts the natural curves in the vertebrae and this pressure presses on the descending aorta. That causes high blood pressure. Their knees start having issues. They may become prediabetic.

master
Report comment
(4y)

m.youtube.com/watch?v=pNqoj6A3Wa...
Fumio Demure in the late seventies began trying to popularize Kobudo which is a weaponry art from Okinawa. It is a way to both learn practical ancestral skills and exercise and develop mental discipline. Anyone starting an exercise regimen could do this to increase range of motion and develop agility/dexterity and some strength.

It also is very effective offensely and defensively.

The form is called Bo kata 1 Shushi no Kon.

It only requires a 5-6' pole and one could simply find a relatively straight discarded branch. Try it.

The student martial artist begins from a position of "no harm" ie the one position in which the weapon cannot easily inflict an attack. This small aspect actually has deep meaning.

The student begins to understand that the stick (bo) is not only remarkably fast with tsuki(thrust) but also is double ended and thus can rapidly strike an opponent twice or more before they have a chance to react.
Read more

master
Report comment
(4y)

If one badly needed to lose weight in a month, then to jump start your diet, you:

Eat every other day. Drink an adequate amount of water (not overdoing it as that will get your electrolytes out of whack). Do some moderate walking if out of shape. If healthy do some aerobics. If prone to knee injuries, wear a elastic knee brace.

Do that for the first week.

Then switch to the rotation diet.

It's boring but your meals are generally cooked chicken breast or fish, a baked potato, broccoli, and no salt but some seasoning. Take a vitamin.

The pounds will just melt off like magic. If you are a skeptic, just try it for one month.

I highly recommend using a crock pot as that is easy and you can make soups and stews, vegetarian or otherwise. These hold well in the refrigerator. Otherwise you are preparing meals for you alone.

If you have to make special meals for yourself every day, unless you have endless time, it won't work.

According to medical evidence,the greatest success is when a buddy of some kind does it with you,both meals and exercise due to synergy.
Read more

master
Report comment
(4y)

m.youtube.com/watch?v=y00_rMYk1O...
How to use the assisted dipping/chin up or wide grip pullup station.

master
Report comment
(4y)

If you have a child who is planning on med school, then patiently explain that the human body while seemingly a biological machine is not uniform. Otherwise dumb med students take that silly attitude and then get humilated in class by their physician professors. Each human being is unique based on genetics and physiology. With nutrition, then the amount of stomach acid and enzymes lead to variances in digestion. This means some tolerate some foods better while others have difficulty. One diet does not fit all.

I encourage people to try a variety of ethnic food as many are less expensive and taste delicious and are nutritious. Eating the same 20 recipes is terrible. Try Italian, German, Chinese, Indian, Japanese, Korean etc. Some are delicious but not sustainable as you cannot grow them locally. You most likely will end up gardening to save money and have the variety. Then preserving them by pickling, canning, drying, and freezing.

It's fun to add variety with your pets as they appreciate it. They often like fruits and vegetables and cuts of meat or fish. So do the wild creatures in your yard. If you garden, then you will see many species of birds, chipmunks, squirels, foxes, raccoons and deer.
Read more

master
Report comment
(4y)

smiley
smiley
... smiley
0.0 smiley

+2

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,387 reviews • 122,276 films • 18,454 TV series