This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,843 reviews
122,457 films • 18,487 TV series

Beware of Scammers (1027 views, 33 replies)

This topic has been closed.

senior guru

From chatting with others on here I am aware that many of us get those random friend requests from people we've not spoke to. Your choice to add or ignore - and now we have the block button as well.

But as we all know internet scammers are everywhere.

There is person who has sent me a few requests, all were ignored until yesterday when I received one with a picture of this person and his child - telling me what a "beautiful woman" I am.
Mate, that's Bette Davis in Baby Jane, ffs
So I responded (see above), and today he tells me he is "lonely as a man" and also that he is on deployment in the US military. Who knows? He might well be...but...that is one of the oldest scammer tactics going, only the Nigerian Princes have been around longer.
And the military scammers will often use details of real servicemen - stealing names, pictures etc.

He's blocked, but I guess I just want to say be careful, adding a person on here does nothing, but if someone starts "romancing" you or asking for personal details please keep your guard up.

+12

Hide 19 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ Oops... Does this mean I won't be getting the $4.5 million in gold from my Nigerian Prince after all? <br> <br> BRB... Calling the bloody Ferrari dealership :( <br>

+4

@DemandingFemale LOL. Well all I'm saying is don't hold your breadth. But don't call Ferrari just yet, I am about to inherit £35 million from a long lost relative (that I never knew I had - imagine that!) - just as soon as I can get the measly £500 together that the transfer costs. Happy to lend you the price of a Ferrari once it's here.....

+4

Report comment
(5y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ Too late! <br> <br> I'll go halfies on the inherits though. I think I have the £250 in coppers somewhere.

@DemandingFemale Deal. I'll meet you in the Bahama's.

+1

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ I have had only one person say these things to me the rest of the message are not that kind, usually a little more shall i say... "Vulgar" <br> <br>

+3

Report comment
(5y)

@❤️cєlєstє🌖mσσn❤️ Awwww, I never get the vulgar ones! <br> <br> Unless, by 'vulgar' you mean people calling you a b**ch etc... in which case, I get plenty of those. lol

+3

@DemandingFemale Ha! no i mean... "hey sexy i wanna f**k you all night" kind of Vulgar comments. honestly it's hilarious to how many guys on here are thirsty loners and still wonder why they are single, baffles me. my block list is getting big, i hope there is not a limit.

+2

@❤️cєlєstє🌖mσσn❤️ Urghh. Had a few of those too, highly amusing as it appears they want to do those things to Bette Davis. Who, I'm sure, would have a brilliant put-down for them. But at least they are honest about their intentions (getting a kick out of sending sad messages), unlike 'romance scammers' who try to fleece people, which is what I suspect today's 'admirer' is. Nowhere is safe from idiots.

+3

@❤️cєlєstє🌖mσσn❤️ Urghh. Had a few of those too, highly amusing as it appears they want to do those things to Bette Davis. Who, I'm sure, would have a brilliant put-down for them. But at least they are honest about their intentions (getting a kick out of sending sad messages), unlike 'romance scammers' who try to fleece people, which is what I suspect today's 'admirer' is. Nowhere is safe from idiots.

+2

+2

@❤️cєlєstє🌖mσσn❤️ Urghh. Had a couple of those as well, but at least they make their intentions clear. (Always find those amusing - because apparently they want to do those things to Bette Davis - and I have no doubt she would have a suitable put-down). And I suppose they're probably not trying to fleece anyone, just get a weird kick from sending vulgarity. The internet is a strange place...

+2

@❤️cєlєstє🌖mσσn❤️ Urghh. Had a couple of those as well, but at least they make their intentions clear. (Always find those amusing - because apparently they want to do those things to Bette Davis - and I have no doubt she would have a suitable put-down). And I suppose they're probably not trying to fleece anyone, just get a weird kick from sending vulgarity. The internet is a strange place...

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ What!...Bette Davis getting hit on??? That really pisses me off. My pic is Clark Gable, and yet no females have messaged me saying how sexy I am or made offers to jump my bones. Maybe this is a clear indication that men watch old movies, and women don't... <br> Hey Bimbos!---Ever heard of "Gone With The Wind"?! (never mind, I just don't give a damn,,,)

+2

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ Silly site - getting all glitchy. Making me repeat myself.

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ How do we comment here? can only see reply. Sorry newby.

@easygoin If you hit reply under another persons comment it will tag them (as it has you here) and they will also get a notification that they have a reply. To leave a 'fresh' comment of your own, scroll down and type in the big 'reply' box right at the bottom.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ and I thought I was a magnet for weirdos :D seems we both been experiencing this like I said in another thread to you. I keep receiving the requests then eventually block them but lately I been accepting a lot of new friend requests as i was curious and what a mistake. there's so many pervs and fake profile (catfish) and tho my profile states I am married, some ppl don't respect that ... so just block them all and decline ppl you don't know or have not interacted with. My issues are the with a user on here that I can't avoid even through a block. Every time I login to this site BAM there IT is with more comments, replies, insults... this site is great but the majority of the members are wack! :D <br> <br> This site does have a TOS and everyone should read it.

Report comment
(5y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ if it feels to good to be true usually fake. I still have no idea why people do it. Most common is the fake ur pc is infected with spyware , we have locked ur pc, call this number sh*t. I fell for a love scam before, fake Nigerian pretending to be a pretty girl who inherits money when married. I know people who fell to the you inherited a fortune scam, just send money to file the processing claim. Never give out money never open suspicious links, redirects. Don't enter ur password if ur already logged in. lots of hackers get ur password via fake login requests. you think u left the site like facebook and have to re log. If the picture is to professional, they claim they can not vid chat, cam broke, no data. RUN.

senior master
Report comment
(5y)

thats verry good advice janerosity i sometimes get them too but i make it my policy to never accept before first get to know the person interact a view posts and then decide.i mostly ask why me,lol now have yourself a great day and enjoy the last day of the weekend. smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

+3

God
Report comment
(5y)

Seems like women get a lot of harassment in PM here. You could just post in " chat box " (make public) some key words to there PM's, asking them to leave you alone. <br> If that does not work, post there username in chat, bet they will stop them bothering you. smiley

+3

Hide 4 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 I just want everybody to know that PureVodka keeps making rude comments to @System in the chat box. :-P

+5

@LesStrater lol. But System is rude to everyone.

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@PureVodka🍺 I got a couple of 'lets be friends' messages, from people ive never even seen in chat box, or written a movie review and I ignored, that's it, no problem, they just chancing there luck, if u dont reply there will be no problem.

+2

Report comment
(5y)

@ijaija Had enough friend request from people who have just joined the site in my time.

+2

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

I had two scammers posting stuff like ,I want to get to know you and stuff like that and you never talked to that person at all . They post it to your wall and never send you a PM . I just send it to Dr. Evil and he take care of those scammers . Never reply to them .

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

I got them too in friend request list.I should blocked them all.

+1

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Good grief. This is a movie TV site! Chat about them. If the other is interested they will know the characters and story lines.
Rule one on the net. DO NOT give personal information.
Chatting about movies/TV is not personal. It is opinion. We are all allowed that.
I hate Coronation Street as the most boring drama ever devised to punish. My Mother never missed an episode till she died. OPINION.
Opinions are welcome as long as you know they are yours.
Yous have access to the internet. Make a choice of who and who you do not chat with. It is yours.

+2

senior guru
Report comment
(5y)

This site is so large. I have a difficult time keeping up with forum posts.

I can't even find the few threads/topics that I started.lol

So far I've been very lucky with the gentlemen I have made contact with in PM. They have all been cordial, kind and very helpful. smiley

Thanks very much for the warning, Janerosity.

+2

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(5y)

@michael59 You can type in anything you're looking for via the "Search Bar" at the top of this site and it will bring up everything from Forums, movies, Shows, News etc. If you are ever looking for something like the threads you started. ;)

+1

Report comment
(5y)

@3UN01A Thanks. I think I tried it once and it brought up movies. I guess I didn't look hard enough at the other things that might have been listed below them. smiley

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,843 reviews • 122,457 films • 18,487 TV series