This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,723 reviews
122,397 films • 18,478 TV series

Amazing! Natural Wonders in your patch of the world (and you've been there!) (1147 views, 29 replies)

This topic has been closed.

God
Report comment
(4y)

Doolin Caves

4th Largest Stalactite in the World!

County Clare, Ireland

These are my pics, not copies from online.

Please submit your pics from your experience!

Check out how small the person is in comparison to the 7.3 meter (27 foot) Stalactite...1 cm equals 1000 years of growth and it's still growing!

+4

guru
Report comment
(4y)

That thing is beautiful. I have been to Mammoth Cave, Carlsbad Caverns, the caves at Mt Rushmore, Mitchell Caverns, and lots of little ones in Ohio and Kentucky. Would love to see the Massive one recently found in Viet Nam. As for scenic wonders nearby, I fell in love with the desert the first time I went to Joshua Tree National Monument, (look up some pics of it and you will understand why U2 did an album by that name) For a large natural wonder, I saw a blue whale on a recent overnight fishing trip to San Clemente Island.

+2

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@Wander Wait, what??

An ACTUAL Blue Whale??

That's freaking amazing! How close did you get?

Joshua Tree is awesome. I have seen some amazing things in that desert and even camped during the Winter time there cooking a turkey in an underground pit (it only took 16 hours lol).

Thank you for sharing!

smiley

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@ We got to within about 75 yards. We see Grays and Pilot whales and Killers out near the islands but that is only the 2nd or third time I have seen a blue and one of the first things you notice is how Wide the things are, that and the color.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@Wander A Blue Whale, the largest animal ever on this planet that still exists ... it doesn't have a rival.

I've been scuba diving loads of times, even heard whales under water... the Blue was my dream. They are amazing beings.

Lucky, lucky, lucky you!

master
Report comment
(4y)

This is the "Blautopf" (Blue Kettle)in Blaubeuren, Germany. I have been there many times as it is only 30 km away. Its incredibly blue

The Lady you see is the "Schöne Lau".According to legend she was married to a mighty Aquarius, chief of river Danube. They lived at the estuary of the Danube in Romania.
As she only gave him still births and got depressive, the aquarius exiled her to the "very last corner of his realm Danube" that was the Blautopf. she lived there for centuries and pissed people off by overflowing her Kettle - and peoples land
She learned laughing again while watching a small boy shidding in a pot and making a stinky mess. (really!) She returned to her hubby and gave birth to many children.

The blautopf actually is a geological "velve" to the danubes second largest well and Germanys second largest cave system. The blue beauty continues for miles - subterranean.
Read more

+3

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)

@Adrian∞ Gorgeous!

master

Niagara Falls, Ontario, is a Canadian city at the famous waterfalls of the same name, linked with the U.S. by the Rainbow Bridge. Its site on the Niagara River's western shore overlooks the Horseshoe Falls, the cascades' most expansive section. Elevators take visitors to a lower, wetter vantage point behind the falls. A cliffside park features a promenade alongside 520-ft.-high Skylon Tower with an observation deck.

I have been there several times and plan to do it again very soon. Absolutely breathtaking.

+4

God
Report comment
(4y)

I survived crossing the Capilano Bridge (and have a certificate to show for it), in Vancouver

These aren't my pictures bc it would take me forever to find them. It was crazy scary crossing it. The current bridge is 140 metres (460 ft)[1] long and 70 metres (230 ft) above the river.
If anyone is interested here is info on the bridge
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capilano...
Teeny💋

+6

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 it looks scary!!

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@clarachan1355 It was very scary 💋

top expert
Report comment
(4y)

Grand Canyon National Park. I lived and worked there (sorry but my pics are on a missing flash drive). Most people don't realize that about 1500 people live in the park year round and it grows to about 3000 from spring to autumn. I know live about 3 hours away. I hiked to the bottom several times and took a 7 day rafting trip which was amazing.
I have been lucky enough to travel to some beautiful places as well. Niagara Falls (as was already mentioned), snorkeled the Great Mayan Reef several times in various places (Mexico, Belize and Honduras), climbed the pyramid at Chichen Itza when it was still allowed, saw several Humpbacks off the coast of Cabo San Lucas as well as many other wonderful memories.
Unfortunately, poorly executed radiation treatments caused me major problems that I don't care to go into, and my traveling days are over with many more things remaining on my "bucket list", but such is life. Despite that I can be happy knowing I hiked the Grand Canyon, rafted the mighty Colorado River and climbed a pyramid.

+1

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@RiverTam Grand Canyon is spectacular.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@ It is and it can be a nice place to live and work but I stayed too long and it became tedious. There is a grocery store in the village but somethings were too expensive so every two weeks most of the residents would drive 80 miles for a full day of shopping. You learn to make a really good shopping list...lol.
A nice side trip, IMO, is Grand Canyon Caverns. It's not in the Canyon or affiliated with it. It's a dry cavern and not as spectacular as others I have seen but it was worth the $20 or so. The name was changed to Grand Canyon Caverns when they set of red smoke bombs years ago to discover the source of the air flow. 3 weeks later the smoke emerged 65 miles away... from the walls of the Canyon.
Funny story, in the 70's the Gov't deemed the caverns a fallout shelter and stocked it with food and water for 2000 people. It is all still there. The reason I say it's funny.... they only supplied one roll of toilet paper.
Read more

master
Report comment
(4y)

I'll try to get a photo of THE LAVA TUBE FROM A VOLCANO---where you walk into the huge tube,underground and its filled with stalagtites and stalagmites.--that;s in Eastern Oregon. Eastern Oregon has a hot springs with a resort on it,this lava tube,and areas so similar to the moons' surface, that astronauts came there to train on it.

I have never seen a whale in public, but we have "sea-monster sightings"that never get published.--that was a long time ago.

Hide 1 reply...

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

Stump Cross Caverns - Yorkshire. England.

Discovered by lead miners in the late 1800s and was quickly opened to the public for paid tours.

Long before landmass separated, my part of the world was far closer to the equator and some of it at least, at the bottom of the sea. Coral, shells and fossilized sea creatures have all been found. Remains of bison, reindeer and wolverines have also been discovered - giving some of the larger caves their names.

The Curtain - made the same way as stalactites, but the different colours reflect the different materials it passes through before forming.

+1

master
Report comment
(4y)

www.waymarking.com/gallery/image....

this is the ground in eastern Oregon the astronauts trained on,cause it was similar to the MOON'S GROUND.the astronauts are tiny in the right hand side you can barely see the little patch of blue.(I couldn't get another shot of this.)

master
Report comment
(4y)

The island of Koh Samui (Gulf of Thailand) is not actually "my patch", but as i spent let`s say 4 months a year there (or in SE Asia) it is again. Of all the places i have been to (that is more than 60 countries) this is the ultimate place on this planet, in my humble opinion.

So the whole island is a natural wonder and that lil clip i produced two years ago is a pure declaration of LOVE, CHEERS.

(All videos and and pics used i made myself. Only exception : very few seconds are stolen from David Bowies "China Girl" . Yop the make-love-on-the-beach-scene)

master
Report comment
(4y)

ooooops something wrong , i try again

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,723 reviews • 122,397 films • 18,478 TV series