This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,657 reviews
122,383 films • 18,475 TV series

★ Novels That Shaped Our World ★ (907 views, 14 replies)

This topic has been closed.

senior master
Report comment
(4y)
(edited)

Novels That Shaped Our World reflects on how the power of the novel in English effected change here and abroad through the 19th and 20th centuries.

With key moments from novels brought to life with dramatic performances and readings, British and International novelists talk about the novels that have meant most to them, as the series follows the story of how the novel has reflected our historic social struggles and been instrumental in effecting change.

1x01 (Airdate: Nov 9, 2019): A Woman's Place: Discusses the story of women and the novel - both as characters and authors. With Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale capturing global audiences, the programme will show how the plight of women is a theme that reaches right back to the earliest novels.

From Richardson's Pamela to Austen, the Brontës through to Mary Shelley and Virginia Woolf, and to the post-war publishing boom where a new generation of global writers such as Toni Morrison and Alice Walker have continued to speak out for women to a new generation of readers.

Link: mixdrop.co/f/x0kdtqeukf

www.tvmaze.com/shows/44843/novel...
Read more

+6

senior master
Report comment
(4y)

1x02
"The Empire Writes Back"
Airdate: Nov 16, 2019

Episode two examines the response to race and empire, from Robinson Crusoe and Uncle Tom's Cabin to Things Fall Apart and Wide Sargasso Sea, as well as lesser known but groundbreaking work such as Aphra Benn's Oroonoko to Samuel Selvon's Lonely Londoners.

The programme comes up to date with titles such as Malorie Blackman's Noughts And Crosses and Paul Beatty's The Sell Out.

Featuring readings from; Don Warrington, Antonia Thomas, Robson Green, Robbie Coltrane, Nitin Ganatra, Paapa Essiedu, Rian Gordon, Titana Muthui, Emeka Sesay and Nick Ikunda.

More to come!

+5

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)

@3UN01A ** Reminder **

1x02
"The Empire Writes Back"
Airdate: Nov 16, 2019

smiley

+4

senior master
Report comment
(4y)

smiley

senior master
Report comment
(4y)
(edited)

Episode 1 is now available with link on two-movies here: dosmovies.com/watch_tv_show/The_Novels_t.... I highly recommend this documentary.

Happy Viewing! smiley

+4

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)

@3UN01A Thanks for the suggestion. I cannot wait to watch this tonight!

+4

senior master
Report comment
(4y)

You're welcome - enjoy! smiley

+4

senior master
Report comment
(4y)

Episode 3 is now available on two-movies to watch here:

dosmovies.com/watch_episode/The_Novels_t....

The Novels that Shaped Our World The Class Ceiling: This episode deals with class in all its shapes and sizes, from all sides of the class divide, in the UK, USA and India.

No episode 2 yet ...

smiley

+5

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@3UN01A Did you find episode 2 yet?

+5

Report comment
(4y)

@LesStrater It's available to download if you know where to look but I haven't seen links for it yet. Any luck?

+3

master
Report comment
(4y)

Once again, thank you to your good self and PV for regularly sharing these things smiley

+8

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)

@MarkRowley You're most welcome! smiley

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. smiley

+4

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

Awesome, someone recommended this to me today and here it is, kismet, much appreciated smiley

+6

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@RandomOne It's a good one if you're able to find links for episode 2 which I have yet to see on sites like this but is available to download 'elsewhere'.

You're welcome + happy viewing! smiley

+5

Report comment
(4y)

@3UN01A Yeah I've looked high and low for episode 2 myself but will have to DL it I think smiley

+3

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,657 reviews • 122,383 films • 18,475 TV series