This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,708 reviews
122,388 films • 18,477 TV series

swear words and their usage (622 views, 7 replies)

This topic has been closed.

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Now I bet you that with the title one word came to mind. F@#k. Which funnily enough is the one and only most versatile word in the English language. Not even sure it is actually an english word?
Think about it. Your hammering in a nail but miss and hit you thumb. What word escapes your lips? Bet it's not 'Booger'. That is what a child takes great pleasure in digging out their nose. Bet your smiling at your child inside because you did.
Back to the F word. It is a fill word to describe. It's an explanation. It's is frustration. It's about every thing else you don't want to use a dictionary to explain. If nothing else, it is not a swear word. Dunder if far more offensive. But that would depend on which country you grew up in.
There is still no history on the F**k word. Older than the English lingo for sure. Shall we blame the French? Or the Russians? Maybe the Chinese? F**k, so many to choose from!

+1

guru
Report comment
(5y)

I find "bad words" themselves hilarious. We teach children ".. words will never hurt them, then tell them we will hurt them if they say certain words. Hypocrisy to the core. Who decides what words are "bad"? Carlin did a great routine on this, but even Shakespeare said that words were unimportant when describing a scent. Say what you mean, I get more offended at liars and charlatans.

+1

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Oooo. Even with all the dictionaries in all the libraries, still don't think there is enough words to say a smell. Only your nose can say that to you.
Hypocrisy. Na. I was tought if somebody hits you, ball your fingers into a fist and hit back, twice as hard. Only worked till another was tought the same. Ouch.

guru
Report comment
(5y)

"bad words" That in it's self is a laugh. They are going to jump out the page and slap you? Now that would be one nasty word.

+2

God
Report comment
(5y)

When my son turned 13 (he is now 19 years old) he swore that my husband and I had told him when he was 13 that he could say cuss words. Of course, neither of us remember this particular conversation but he wouldn't let up. It was probably something we said jokingly that he took as serious and never forgot it. Funny thing is it never dawned on him to just cuss behind your parents' backs like most kids do. I know I am lucky, I have an extremely good kid...I was blessed with that. Not sure why because I was a TOTAL Hellion.
I am still not sure though how they got cuss from curse. I curse you I'm sure is where the term curse words came from but I mostly hear cuss words instead. smiley

+1

guru
Report comment
(5y)

According to my books 'cuss' is an informal variation of curse, but can be used to describe a person in a derogatorily way. Don't ya just love books? I have a full set of encyclopaedia. I tend to refer to them more than the internet. Cuss is an Americanism of curse according to my books. Funnily, ever nation has quirky words. Mostly only pronounceable by the locals. Attempting to say them helps make friends fast.

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Here's one "Tattiboggle" What does that mean? If you know don't say please. Love to hear the guesses.

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Damn.. It's googleable!

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,708 reviews • 122,388 films • 18,477 TV series