This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,722 reviews
122,397 films • 18,478 TV series

Zombie Question? 💋 (1290 views, 85 replies)

This topic has been closed.

God
Report comment
(4y)

This is from a past forum of mine but I thought of 2 newer movies that keeps my confusion on this topic going. Which I will list at the bottom.

I have a question for zombie lovers. Don't get me wrong I love TWD and I love the 28 days/weeks movies. But zombie genre isn't my favorite horror sub genre. Anyways my question is? I don't get how the theory of how zombies work?? How come they eat some people and some they just bite which in turn turns them into a zombie. Even on TWD Rick's wife's body was consumed by a walker after she gave birth and the son shot her in the head, it showed it sitting with bloated belly. I mean is there any rhyme or reason why this isn't ever explained. I like the 28 days movies bc it is more of a "rage" virus and it spreads immediately after being bitten. So the zombie in it are more biting, hitting etc. But the rest of zombie movies they want to bite and feed on you. They need brains as sustenance. I mean you have werewolf genre they bite and if interrupted in attack they will run off and you are left bitten so you will also change during full moons. With vampires they either drain you dry or they turn you by choice.
So I was just wondering if this zombie issue bothers anyone else??
Thanks everybody.....I love you all smiley

(Sorry for the spoilers captions but don't want to spoil movies if you haven't seen it yet)
Patient zero
dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Patient_Zero_2....
The zombies kill but still just bite some. Stanley tucci is bitten and becomes a zombie and [SPOILER] ...
Read more

+5

God
Report comment
(4y)

Oops part of the end was deleted somehow probably by me.
The other movie is

The Cured
dosmovies.com/watch_movie/The_Cured/?ref....
In this was Conner actually[SPOILER] but kills most everyone else

Teeny💋

+2

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 TWD and 28 Days are two types of zombies, for instance, TWD zombies cannot run, and 28 days later can run like the devil. Another example is that 28 Days later zombies were created by a rage virus (severe emotional response that turned them into raging undead cannibals, basically). TWD it's never been completely established what caused it (to my knowledge).

For me personally, due to the HUGE variety of zombies out there, I basically don't have a "zombies can't do that" criteria.

There is so much diversity that I feel I would be deprived of some really quality entertainment otherwise.

(As you know, the horror genre itself has really become the pit of all wanna be film stars, so horror fans are overrun with truly rubbish films.)

Good questions though and I'm loving seeing the responses.

Respect to everyone that gives their opinion!

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@ Thank you for your always welcome input. I like the way TWD has left us wondering how it started, I always assumed we would get an answer to that if the show ever comes to an end, God forbid! I also love that it is a world that didn't have zombie movies so therefore didn't even have the terminology for them in the beginning. Another crazy fast zombie movie that I have not mentioned, World War Z. Now they have a great explanation to my question in that film.
💋

+1

guru
Report comment
(4y)

Here's another zombie conundrum that puzzles me as well.

If zombies are sposta be brain eaters, how come they never seem to crack open a cold one once they're dead and do so? 'Course the next problem would be if they did eat their brains, the victim wouldn turn since killin their brains is also the only way to kill a zombie.

+3

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 That is another very good question in this serious subject matter in brought to the table...lol
💋

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

i won't bore you with the old superstitious voodoo crap, we're talking the much cooler zombies or living dead from George Romero and onward. Night of the Living Dead never made an absolute conclusion as to what was bringing back the dead; they suggested it might have come down from a returning Venusian space probe, but that was never made certain. in any case, the overall cause was something unknown that permeated everywhere. the original Dawn of the Dead introduced the pathology of some infection that occurs when people are bitten, and most films of the genre have followed suit ever since; probably because it made more sense than something unknown, and a little scarier because nobody wants to get bit.
unless they specifically tell the audience about another cause, as in Night of the Comet (1984, radiation and only the living were affected, the dead stayed dead) or Zombie (1979, a witch doctors curse), the consensus is usually a biological infection that caused it.
Read more

+4

Hide 8 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd In Romero's version (which some believe is the "guide to zombies"), zombies run and have the ability to open doors... which many say these days is not true to zombie lore, yet there it is.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@ if you're talking about something people saw in the original NOTL, he had five opportunities to verify those abilities...

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd Yes, the original.

What do you mean by "five opportunities to verify those abilities"?

Not being cheeky. I truly don't understand. smiley

Report comment
(4y)

@ In NOTLD they also picked up rocks to smash windows etc.

Edited to add - And a trowel.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@ Romero directed five sequels to NOTLD:

Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
Survival of the Dead

💀

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd Oh, so you're refering to all 5 films opportunities to verify that "his" zombies actually had those abilities at times(?).

That's cool. Thanks.

Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd Night of the Living Dead - They used tools and ran a little.

Dawn of the Dead - A few had things in their hands, and Stephen had retained memories when he became a zombie.

Day of the Dead - Bub (nuff said)

Land of the Dead (Big Daddy, band, lovers etc)

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd Ahh, Night of the Comet. I had totally forgotten about that film. I loved that movie back then. Thank you for all your input on this subject
Teeny💋

+1

Report comment
(4y)

I'm way more into the 28 days later/rage virus type of movies. I was never a huge fan of the mindless shufflers. The way I always figured the zombie virus was spread was if someone just got bit but got away. The zombie would eat you entirely if given the chance, but sometimes the zombie is killed or the person simply escapes--only to turn into a zombie shortly thereafter.

+6

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@CookiePuss Thanks for your opinion on this matter!
Teeny💋

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@CookiePuss Yup, that's the way I always thought about it too.

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

Different zombie movies play by different rules. So I don't think there is any definitive answer to any Zombie related question lol

The first Zombie movie 'White Zombie' was way back in 1932 - and that was a voodoo master making slaves to do his bidding. Zombie superstition and myths of slavery after death can be trace back hundreds of years.

Between Richard Matheson's I Am Legend (its first screenplay was called 'The Last Man on Earth' and starred Vincent Price) and Romero's Night of the Living Dead is where we first really get to see zombies as we know them today.
Romero's early Z's are probably the most closely related to TWD universe really, since you don't have to be bitten to be reanimated after death.

Zombie don't need to eat, they have no working digestive system. Doctor Logan (Dr. Frankenstein) in Romero's '85 Day of the Dead tries to explain it a little.
They only have small sections of their brain reanimated.
Read more

+3

Hide 12 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale I actually always thought of them as "infected" but never put that all together the way you did. Thanks.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@ I like to think of 28 Days as contagion zombies lol.

I loved the first one (my husband didn't, but reluctantly sat through it in the cinema lol)
There is so much wrong with 28 Weeks I could witter about it for hours.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale I saw it in the cinema as well. I took my son to see it and it scared the crap outta me. I could actually imagine that happening; I think that's why.

Report comment
(4y)

@ I think zombies were the start of my obsession with epidemiology. I would have followed my dream if only I hadn't have been so sh*t at maths lol.

Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale agree with you on 28 Weeks as far as alot wrong with it, but personally 28 Weeks is more memorable to me than the first. great zombie analysis, seen all the ones you spoke of ... good stuff !!

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@eraserhead11 When 28 Days was released it was quite refreshing and exciting. 28 weeks has a great cast and actions scenes but the plot is just ridiculous lol

Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale Matheson's book told a better story than any of the films made from it. you're right about Day of the Dead, i nearly forgot ol' Bub listening to his sony walkman and holding a gunsmiley

Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd And saluting, showing memory.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale smileyhello, Aunt Alecia...

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@uunboundd Romero even states that he basically ripped off Matheson.

He loved I Am Legend but wanted to see the start, wanted to see the peoples reactions to being set upon by their own kin.

All zombies movies from then on have been about survivors, and how we always have a knack of fking up our own fate.

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale Wow! it seems you know a lot about this zombie topic!
I like zombies, I like TWD, but I haven't seen those movies mentioned here and in the previous posts.

I have to update myself! :)

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@superfran I'm not proud of my zombie knowledge. It just means I obviously have far too much time on my hands.

I really recommend watching the George Romero classics. The zombie genre explodes with lots of other films after that.

28 Days Later & 28 Weeks Later are also must watches.

If you need/want any suggestions just let me or one of the other guys know. We'll be happy to gives you a few suggestions.

Report comment
(4y)

Thanks a lot for your suggestions! of course I am going to consider them, I want to know the origins of zombies ;)

+1

guru
Report comment
(4y)

consider if you will World War Z ... the zombies only purpose was to spread the infection to healthy hosts, not really about eating.

+2

Hide 1 reply...
Report comment
(4y)

@eraserhead11 I had just mentioned that somewhere above. That one at least gave us a an answer to this unanswerable question
Thank you for sharing
Teeny💋

guru
Report comment
(4y)

The whole attraction I get for TWD is in the study of how humans react to such an overwhelming new world brought about by the zombie apocalypse.

Its study of a different view of humanity and really how we are all driven to survive, sometimes with total disregard of our fellow humans is fairly spot on in my view.

Though I hope humanity never has to face a similar societal breakdown on such a level, if it ever were to happen it seems like we'd see far too many Governors and Megans.

+3

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 I totally agree with that! I like that about the show as well, the depths that they have been pushed too would be enough to drive you insane. Rick to go down that road for awhile too
💋

Report comment
(4y)

@mrkim56 I totally agree with that! I like that about the show as well, the depths that they have been pushed too would be enough to drive you insane. Rick to go down that road for awhile too
💋

God
Report comment
(4y)

The criteria doesn't bug me because every director makes their versions different.

+4

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@FemaleLotRfan83 Good point
💋

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 Yeah.

+1

master
Report comment
(4y)

It's really impossible to come up with a standard set of rules for zombies with there being so many different movies/series/books and so many different writers/directors/creators etc. Each movie/series/book is really gonna have it's own set of rules.

+2

senior guru

I have no suggestion for the original question, but as it's about Zombies I have something that bothers me about TWD.
I don't get why they are still walking and have not rotted away. I know new ones are made, but the 'herds' are clearly remaining from the original outbreak (or whatever it was) just because there are so many of them. And occasionally you do see one that's pretty much falling apart and unable to even stand.. so why not all of them? Especially considering how long it's been, and the last series jumped a few years into the future as well.

+4

Hide 5 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ Seems like it's most likely because the show has such a following and the advertisers keep payin the bills lol.

I definitely do get your reasoning though, it's a very valid point I've considered myself and wondered if they could come up with some way to write in something to bridge the gap between old and dying zombies versus some new and improved ones :>)

+1

@mrkim56 I've actually never been a fan of the genre - always thought Zombies were quite ridiculous - but watched the show because so many people said I should. Imo they don't even really need the Zombies now (although that would mean no Sammantha Morton, love her and think we've yet to see her worst, she's going to make Negan look like a wuss lol). I think they could just let the Zombies fade away and still have a good show about survivors. Not all holocaust shows have monsters. And the bad people are the real monsters in this show.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ GREAT question! My husband asks the same thing. That horde was huge and they all can't be eating enough people to sustain themselves plus they are dead and decomposing in the heat (until the snow last season) You would think a very large number would decay to the point of Bones. Any thoughts on the this guys please respond

+1

Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 Well they don't really need to eat to sustain themselves. I think the Dr that was with the Gov (can't remember his name) said that. If you remember he used to study them. He also said that they are dying just at a much slower rate than normal people. So maybe the fact they that they have come back from the dead and are somewhat alive would keep them from decomposing at the same rate as an actual corpse. So maybe that's why they are still up and moving around. Just some food for thought anyway.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@rickgrimesrocks I had forgotten about that in TWD. That makes total sense!
Thanks for your input
💋

+1

senior guru
Report comment
(4y)

The one thing all zombie movies really have in common is showing us that humans are morons lol.

I said in another thread about the new Black Summer Netflix series that zombies act as just the catalyst. They could be anything... spiders, robots, ravenous bugblatter beasts of Traal. It's more about how we react/interact with those still living.

This is what Romero had in mind for Night of the Living Dead. You don't see much zombie action at all really. It is mostly survivors arguing and bickering about who should be boss and whose idea is better. Only when a common enemy shows up is everyone on the same side. That enemy could be zombies or another person/group. As soon as that enemy is defeated, we go back to squabbling.

TWD plays this out every single season. There are very few Z movies/shows where that formula doesn't play out.

I agree with Jane, zombies are quite ridiculous lol. But they aren't any more ridiculous than a werewolf, vampire or poltergeist.

Hide 6 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this matter!
Teeny💋

+1

@DemandingFemale I have to disagree with the last bit of that. I think they are far and away more ridiculous than either of those. Well maybe werewolves.. But def not Vampires. Vampires are my favourite of all the legendary creatures. And I've encountered poltergeist for real.

Always said if I could be any of the fictional 'monsters' I'd be a vampire. But I'd want to get turned when I was 25 and thin lol.

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ Vampires and zombies can both be found in the real world - if you limit the criteria for defining one.

There are parasites, fungus and viruses that can take over a living host, controlling its behaviour, so they act like a mindless zombie.

There are also several living blood drinking species.

But vampires throw out the same kinda questions that zombies do - and depending on the source, have different explanations.

They are dead reanimated corpses (kinda zombies)

They have no heartbeat, so no circulatory system. Making it almost impossible to get 'aroused' ;)

They don't breathe, unless they talk, which is A LOT lol

They have no working digestive system, yet you see a lot of vampires eating and drinking other things between blood snacks.
They say the blood they consume bypasses their digestive system and directly enters their bloodstream. Not quite sure how this is possible though.
Read more

@DemandingFemale Impossible to get aroused???

Damn, never really considered that, but what with the whole bloodsucking thing does make sense.

There goes my Blade fantasy out the window....

Report comment
(4y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ Maybe they spend all their time in a perpetual state of erectness - and why they seem so grumpy, yet irresistible to women ;)

Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale You are very right about the repetition of TWD, but I still love it lol.

+1

God
Report comment
(4y)

Ok one other thing that bothers me but not on the same exact subject but does had be to do with zombies:
One of my favorite Horrors, Houses October Built. In it Mike Roe who is also director, writer and plays himself in the movie, says to his brother "there are no movies where a zombie shoots a gun"! I can't believe he says that as someone who boasts film school, is a director of a horror film and horror lover. He should know in Land of the Dead a zombie watches humans and learns to shoot a gun! I'm sorry I'm a horror movie snob and Everytime we watch that movie my husband and I are yelling at the TV your wrong! I do love the 2 HOB movies but he is my least favorite character in them.
I really just had to get that off my chest...lol. They are still great movies.

dosmovies.com/watch_movie/The_Houses_Oct....

dosmovies.com/watch_movie/The_Houses_Oct....

dosmovies.com/watch_movie/Land_of_the_De....
Read more

+4

Hide 2 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@Teeny💋 One fires a gun in the '84 Day of the Dead too

+2

Report comment
(4y)

@DemandingFemale Ah ha! I would love to write him and correct him on his zombie knowledge...lol
💋

+1

God
Report comment
(4y)

I want to thank everyone for contributing and just having fun with this forum. It has really been enjoyable seeing everyone respond to this. I hope you all enjoyed the conversations as well. Any other thoughts, opinions it comments....keep them coming!

You all made my day with your responses.

Your friend
Teeny💋💋💋💋💋💋

+4

Hide 2 replies...

@Teeny💋 Did you see my thread.. kittens arrived early hours tues. There's pics on it !!

+3

Report comment
(4y)

@⭐️janerosity⭐️ Oh no I haven't seen it yet i will check it out now. I bet they are so cute
💋

master
Report comment
(4y)

Zombies of any sort are highly illogical.

Wade Davis was an ethnobotanist and traveled to Haiti and claims he met with Voodon practioners who gave him a compound they had devised.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wade_Dav...

This compound allegedly acted as a hypnotic agents (see anethesiology and drugs) which is typically given to prevent patients from remembering should they wake from surgery. Meanwhile this substance was supposed to act to suppressed normal behavior and allow a form of subservience and thus a zombie was merely a heavily drugged person.

According to the legends, a Voodon practioner would drug the person so deeply that it caused intense respiratory depression so others presume the person is dead. Then after burial, give an antidote, the Voodun practioner extracts them from the coffin and enslaves the by repeated dosing.

Now in film/tv there are two main immediate issues besides many others.

For your body to work, human beings consume food AND oxygen. The food is digested into simpiler elements through acids and enzymes. Proteins become amino acids. These then go through the citric acid cycle and undergo oxidative phosphorolation.
Read more

Hide 3 replies...
Report comment
(4y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycolys...

Now without digestion, you have no way to produce adequate blood and you have no way for the pancreas to control/maintain blood sugar.

Every zombie would suffer same fate that can happen to diabetics who can go into a diabetic coma.

Zombies have no blood sugar control.

If zombies could somehow digest food, then they produce urea and feces. However the bulk of the pigments in feces are from dead blood cells. The zombies are not producing any red blood cells.

The large intestine is the last place to reabsorb water and so with a lack of water and only "food" through cannibalism, what would happen is massive BLOATING. It is extremely painful and debilitating.

The epidemiology is such laughable blather that I will spare you the details of any immediately infected and having raging septicema. ...
Read more

Report comment
(4y)

@AnhedoniaNightmare en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnotic

Hypnotics as a class within pharmacology and having subclasses as soporiphics (sleep inducement) and in anesthesiology (interfere with memory generation plus recall).

www.uptodate.com/contents/genera...

This is why date-rape rohypnol was used by human predator scum.

master
Report comment
(4y)

Zombies in film and in myth were derived from the very real fear of Haitians that they would return to a political state of slavery and oppression. That fear persisted all across Voodon (an outgrowth of African beliefs inserted into Roman Catholicism ie syncretism.

The Voodun shaman threatens with a power once held by of European ancestry.

The central theme therefore is the loss of free will and is related to demonic possession as some oppressive force perverting the natural state of freedom through autonomy and self-determination.

George Romero took the old theme and turned into a political commentary on American consumerism. Zombies are the end result of capitalism where people mindlessly buy things they don't need and for no reason. They are the ultimate dumbed down beings who eat food they cannot digest and keep doing so, shambling around creating new mindless zombies in an endless cycle.

TWD is clueless entertainment made for those who are oblivious to the original themes.
Read more

master
Report comment
(4y)

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpes_s...

Let's try to form an epidemiology theory for TWD.

In the show, it's revealed at the end of season one that everyone worldwide is seemingly infected. Then when they die or are bitten, they turn into zombies.

Is this plausible? Vaguely.

With HSV in general than it is easily spread by a mechanism not totally know. HSV-1 is spread by social contact and 67% of the world carries it. Say you kiss someone who has it. You get it and then it goes dormant. When you get a cold/flu, then you also get a cold sore or fever blister. Or say when going to a job interview, stress activates the dormant herpes virus.

Similarly HSV-2 is spread by secretions of bodily fluids that contain virons. If you have unprotected sex with those who have it, particularly when they have small gental sores, then you get it. 1 in 6 Americans has HSV-2 and may not know it.

Okay, let's presume a HSV-3 as an unknown variant and somehow by the vector of air transmission ends up infecting all. Waterbourne transmission is plausible but would never end up infecting all due to desert people or mountains.
Read more

master
Report comment
(4y)

Zombies' bellies would split because with severe dehydration and only eating "meat" which is full of anerobic bacteria (the zombies eat intestines and visecra), then severe cramping would occur and eventually massive methane release causing severe bloating causing abdominal distension. In a decaying body, this would burst.

Soldiers and bushcrafters are taught not to eat unless they address water intake. Dying patients are given water but not food as a way to "pass" without abdominal discomfort.

master
Report comment
(4y)

At a time of vast issues of obesity in western civilization, the theme of cannibalism is subversive as Hollywood leftists' commentary. They are saying that western civilization is not only destroying other cultures, but on the practical level like vegans buying ethnic food in diverse places like quinoa and driving up the prices so local citizens cannot afford it. They are saying that western civilization are obese cannibals. You just fail to acknowledge you are being mocked.

How funny. You support a highly illogical concept subversive leftist show that then openly ridicules western civilization! Some dolts even dress as zombies.

The enduring desire for post-apocalyptic genre in film and television is the exposure of the innate fear that urban dwellers lack ancestral skills. Then should an apocalypse of any kind occur, the vast bulk of humanity in lacks the ability to find water and purify it,build a fire, find wild edibles and medicinals, grow crops, raise livestock, create useful items from clay, fiber, wood, bone, and stone.
Read more

guru
Report comment
(4y)

I can't believe how many comments been posted for this. smiley I for one, always enjoyed the Romero movies then TWD. Here lately, I've been losing interest with the TWD. I read the comic every month though. I heard a sequel to World War Z is in the works. That's a world that I'd never survive. Zombies be slinging their bodies towards helicopters, off buildings. Piling their disgusting rotten bodies to reach high elevations. So when it comes to zombie standards, I'm going more for TWD. I just couldn't handle zombies getting smarter. smiley

+2

master
Report comment
(4y)

In med school, the mneumonic is called point and shoot. A male when their parasympathetic (rest and digest) system is active, they point. When their sympathetic system is active, the possibility exists to "shoot".
en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/USMLE_St...
Zombies can do neither as only the thalmus is operating.

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,722 reviews • 122,397 films • 18,478 TV series