This site exists on your donations. Donate here
Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

351,278 users • 208,705 reviews
122,388 films • 18,477 TV series

Ubuntu Linux - the Non Geeks Operating System (780 views, 3 replies)

This topic has been closed.

guru
Report comment
(5y)

There's a common myth amongst computer users that Linux is a GEEKS ONLY operating system.

If you want to try a totally (legally) free operating system without even having to install it, check out Linux - Ubuntu Mate at ubuntu-mate.org/download/

No, I'm not gonna get paid, nor will anyone else if you choose to DL the above, so if you wanna shed the bonds of Windows, check it out.

Having been on Ubuntu for the past 13+ yrs I'll gladly try to help anyone here who might want to try the USB live session version (use the complete operating system without having to install it) of Ubuntu Mate or will do my best to help you install it if you'd rather.

I gave Windows the ol heave ho long ago and have never looked back.

+4

admin
Report comment
(5y)

Adobe photoshop, ableton live, sony vegas? Linux is great for general browsing but for specific professional use - not so much.

master
Report comment
(5y)

THAT'S THE PROBLEM, NO PROGRAMS smiley .wait, you can try the system without downloading it?I got the whole cd and book its like going to a whole new system, im gonna dump windows and go to apple.--i started on litte black/white macs years ago, they were simple.--but you could already do word processing on them.Everyone in class could use em,no matter the level.--i might try that version--i hear on Linux yer computer is FAST AGAIN.All this windows drogs make it crawl!! smiley

+1

guru
Report comment
(5y)

Dr. E, indeed if you are dependent upon Microslush based software then a switch to Linux can be problematic, and usually is. I often recommend folks tied to a MS machine can also consider going w/a dual boot set up so they can get the best of both worlds. MS for business stuff and Ubuntu for surfing, speed and to relieve all manner of virus worries.

There also are many open source software titles that can be replacements to cut the ties to MS, but for most folks that too problematic.

My machine is really just an overgrown toy I use for cruisin the ol www, creating the occasional doc w/ Open Office, and as storage and a multimedia player for music and moovie files, so I'm not encumbered by such constraints.

Clara, unless you use MS dependent programs Ubuntu could well take care of many of the problems you mentioned.

If you'd like to check it out you would have to DL it, then burn the .iso file to a DVD, get into the BIOS and Change the 1st Boot Device to your DVD drive, save your changes to the BIOS and let 'er eat.
Read more

+1

This topic has been closed.

Similar forum topics

FEEDBACK

Join 351,278 users who love movies and TV shows!

208,705 reviews • 122,388 films • 18,477 TV series